• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
513 characters
2,000 script pages
35,000 camera shots
74,000 unique animations
5.1 million lines of code

But...

Only...

David Cage.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The budget really shows in their scope. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. They always make some of the best games of the gen; nothing else like them.

The closest was seeing the flow chart for the Chloe/Max/Frank convo in Life is Strange.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you measure your games by quantity over all else those numbers might be impressive, but without context they're meaningless garbage.

513 characters
2,000 script pages
35,000 camera shots
74,000 unique animations

Like does it matter that there's 2000 pages if it's garbage, or 74,000 unique animations if they still all look like shit? how are they even measuring that? Is it really a good thing that they're using that many unique animations to begin with, isn't that inefficient?

5.1 million lines for basically a visual novel. I wouldn't be bragging about how bloated your code is. Something about the focus lately on distilling games into how much stuff they have in them as opposed to whether any of that stuff is any good really annoys the fuck out of me, but I guess I can't be surprised, it's easier to shoot out puff pieces about biggest world map/most animations ever!!!! than it is to hardball a dev with something resembling an interesting interview

I mean, while the writing is still up in the air (it's notable that this is the first time Cage has had co-writers on a script), we've seen enough of the game to know that the animation isn't even remotely stiff. It looks damn good.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only telltales Walking Dead Season 1 could reach the heights of Heavy Rain for me. Beyond Two Souls while not as strong still presented a compelling tale. Very much looking forward to this one, it's been too long.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Telltale built their brand on reviving old lucasarts games like Sam and Max and Monkey Island then pivoted from there. Maybe if you only play games on Sony consoles it might seem that way but I really don't think QD had anything to do with it.

Telltale's shit was super popular on PC.
Errr... Jurassic Park Game Inspired By Heavy Rain

Telltale has told Game Informer that its upcoming episodic Jurassic Park game will be a more tense, slower-paced experience than its usual adventures games, and that the team are taking an inspiration from David Cage's PS3-exclusive Heavy Rain.

And going by SteamSpy, their traditional adventure games were not that "super popular", their big hits were the cinematic ones like Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, and to a lesser extent Borderlands and Game of Thrones. While this does of course leave out the sales from their own store (which was the primary outlet for their earliest games,) they can't have been that significant when the company ultimately chose to abandon their old format completely in favor of the new style... by their own words inspired by Heavy Rain.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
0 Engaging stories

No but really I thought we were past the "look how fucking big these numbers are" type marketing.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
That's more lines of code than it took to automate Jurassic Park!!

I see no one bothered to read the link provided in the OP.

That's because the OP, rather than summarise the article, decided to go with a set of bullet-points that would direct the conversation as they know that 80%* of posters never bother reading OP links.

*generous estimate. VERY generous estimate.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. QD always putting effort in their games. Detroit: Becoming Human is gonna be commercially and critically successful. I would not be surprised if it becomes a contender for GOTY 2018. The game has success written all over it.

There is no denying that QD set the standard for all the narrative adventure games to succeed and prosper in this decade of gaming. Supermassive, Telltale, And DONTNOD wouldn't be successful if it weren't for QD.

This cannot be a real post.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if you measure your games by quantity over all else those numbers might be impressive, but without context they're meaningless garbage.

513 characters
2,000 script pages
35,000 camera shots
74,000 unique animations

Like does it matter that there's 2000 pages if it's garbage, or 74,000 unique animations if they still all look like shit? how are they even measuring that? Is it really a good thing that they're using that many unique animations to begin with, isn't that inefficient?

5.1 million lines for basically a visual novel. I wouldn't be bragging about how bloated your code is. Something about the focus lately on distilling games into how much stuff they have in them as opposed to whether any of that stuff is any good really annoys the fuck out of me, but I guess I can't be surprised, it's easier to shoot out puff pieces about biggest world map/most animations ever!!!! than it is to hardball a dev with something resembling an interesting interview

First , it says script pages . We already have an idea of if it's gabage or not since we had a presentation of a scenario, heck we've got at least 2 in trailers before. and 1 was played by the press. Impression on the game exist.
Second , QD does a lot of mo-cap , that was for years a way for them to pay the bills , and there is no indication given their previous work AND the data on this game that their unique animations "look like shit" ..like none
Third , had you read the article , you'd see that those numbers are not the point , nor the message , this is just side information. you think that it's the focus when it never was ... I mean the article title should be clear enough.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think of all the things you could criticize when talking about David Cages games, this makes the least sense. Heavy Rain had a lot of meaningful choices. Many more than Life is Strange or the Telltale games for instance.
I mean, kinda, but they're all ultimately false. Characters on the periphery can die, but they ultimately have nothing to really do with the story. The most important of all is Norman and an ending without him is honestly just one less fight scene. Everyone gets to where they have to be no matter what.

You can choose not to risk your life at the puzzles, but Ethan can't die, so you can stumble around like Mr. Magoo on a bender and nothing will happen to you. Probably the most impactful choice in the game is sleeping with Madison or not, because that relationship is fetishistic wish fulfillment and makes no sense with the way they wrote either character.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, kinda, but they're all ultimately false. Characters on the periphery can die, but they ultimately have nothing to really do with the story. The most important of all is Norman and an ending without him is honestly just one less fight scene. Everyone gets to where they have to be no matter what.

You can choose not to risk your life at the puzzles, but Ethan can't die, so you can stumble around like Mr. Magoo on a bender and nothing will happen to you. Probably the most impactful choice in the game is sleeping with Madison or not, because that relationship is fetishistic wish fulfillment and makes no sense with the way they wrote either character.
Ethan is thrown in jail and removed from the game if you get arrested twice. He can also be killed by the police in the final chapter if Madison isn't there to warn him. And he commits suicide in the ending if you "stumble around like Mr. Magoo on a bender" and fail to rescue Shaun. While the game is fairly generous with second chances, it is still quite possible to not reach the final chapter with any of the heroes, they can all get killed/jailed, or they can fail to discover the location of the warehouse. Personally I ended up with Madison facing the killer alone on my first playthough, with Ethan in jail and Norman mangled by Mad Jack's car crusher.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These numbers don't mean much to me.

While I appreciate the production Vue of his games, Cage's biggest problems were always his characters, themes and overarching plot.

Heavy rain was his best game but it still collapses on itself horribly by the end as a result of nonsensical plot points that aren't explained and in some cases are directly contradictory to what was previously presented through gameplay mechanics.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
These numbers don't mean much to me.

While I appreciate the production Vue of his games, Cage's biggest problems were always his characters, themes and overarching plot.

Heavy rain was his best game but it still collapses on itself horribly by the end as a result of nonsensical plot points that aren't explained and in some cases are directly contradictory to what was previously presented through gameplay mechanics.

Heavy Rain's story and twist in the end was just fine. The story was better than 95% of all other story driven games out there.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain's story and twist in the end was just fine. The story was better than 95% of all other story driven games out there.
No it wasn't.

Ethan's black outs whenever the killer strikes is never explained in game. I'm aware of the original reason but it was cut out, and so his black outs and their timing makes no sense despite being the reason his son is taken.

The twist also makes no sense when you can read the minds of the characters.
Not to mention the killer's actions only make sense if he knows someone is reading his mind at all times and so purposely misdirected himself.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of that writing isn't embarrassing
I'm sure more than zero lines. He can have some really great moments, he just keeps undercutting them constantly.

Honestly most of his games start with so much potential that never gets fulfilled which is frustrating because if they actually pulled it off they would be amazing.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Not really impressed by those numbers, as many said. I'm really waiting for the game to come out though.

Looks like a mixed bag of well-made and poorly made segments, and I fear a weak conclusion like in all Quantic Dream games... but I'll definitely want to play it.

Honestly most of his games start with so much potential that never gets fulfilled which is frustrating because if they actually pulled it off they would be amazing.

Exactly this :/

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I'm sure more than zero lines. He can have some really great moments, he just keeps undercutting them constantly.

I don't know his ideas aren't necessarily revolutionary, robots being a metaphor for slavery isn't new or interesting it's just lazy.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Considering Heavy Rain this means nothing to me.
I can't seem why this studio is so popular, the games are ridiculous, beyond salvation. Even as a interactive movie Heavy Rain was horrible to control the character. And the plot holes are really bad (I don't mind bad plots too much but when it is everything your game have to offer...)
And begging about quantity of lines of code... well...
Can't believe why Sony still funds his games. Beyond didn't sold well afterall, right?

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know his ideas aren't necessarily revolutionary, robots being a metaphor for slavery isn't new or interesting it's just lazy.
Oh I agree with that, I meant more in the context of heavy rain and farenheit, niether are necessarily original but in the context of games they had the potential to tell interesting stories.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Considering Heavy Rain this means nothing to me.
I can't seem why this studio is so popular, the games are ridiculous, beyond salvation. Even as a interactive movie Heavy Rain was horrible to control the character. And the plot holes are really bad (I don't mind bad plots too much but when it is everything your game have to offer...)
And begging about quantity of lines of code... well...
Can't believe why Sony still funds his games. Beyond didn't sold well afterall, right?

Probably around 2-3 mill lifetime.

The hate for Quanitc Dream is real, but they make the big bux, and Detroit will most likely be their best selling game yet 5mill+.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Heavy Rain in spite of the plot holes. Hopefully most of those script pages aren't by David Cage.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Probably around 2-3 mill lifetime.

The hate for Quanitc Dream is real, but they make the big bux, and Detroit will most likely be their best selling game yet 5mill+.
2-3 million for a game like Beyond doesn't seem good with all the marketing and big actors. Also it reviewed really bad. Well, even Heavy Rain on PS4 didn't get great reviews as in PS3.

But yeah, sadly Detroit have everything to sell well.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
2-3 million for a game like Beyond doesn't seem good with all the marketing and big actors. Also it reviewed really bad. Well, even Heavy Rain on PS4 didn't get great reviews as in PS3.

Well they earned the big bux on it.

And its not "sadly", these kind of games are so fun, and so rare. Can't wait for Detroit and gather my friends (+a few beers), I am sure everyone will be screaming at the screen constantly. Will be awesome. Last time was Until Dawn.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Sadly huh. Aren't you the concerned one about sales of a game you don't really care about.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really like David's insight and so far have enjoyed his games for how interactive and enjoyable (while being very much unlike most games) their stories use to be. Great interview, looking forward to the game!

Are you arguing games shouldn't present moving or troubling narratives?

No, I'm saying this was actually an argument 20 years ago, when games were considered "for kids". To present this as some sort of serious issue - both by the site and supposedly Cage - is kind of cute, but it diminishes the conversation with is naivety.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda meaningless stats until we know the quality of what is presented. Borderlands 1 had I don't know how many million guns, but there were only a couple variations spread onto the 70 or so levels with barely different scopes, etc.. Having gazillion characters or camera angles is only relevant if they're polished. As in, 900 different trucks wouldn't have made Big Rigs into a good game.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How many racially tinged anti robot epithets? Damned clankers, lousy clinks, that sort of thing?

How many racism David?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I never played Omikron unfortunately...

But really adored Fahrenheit & Heavy Rain.

Beyond Two Souls is, unfortunately, meh.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Do those facts mean anything for the gameplay? Of course not. Are they still a bit interesting to some? Sure. Other games are allowed to have such trivialities revealed without backdraft, but I guess Quantic Dreams games can't really be discussed in a forum. Every little thing gets verbally raped and ridiculed.

I think I'll just be waiting for the game to play then and avoid any threads about it.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do those facts mean anything for the gameplay? Of course not. Are they still a bit interesting to some? Sure. Other games are allowed to have such trivialities revealed without backdraft, but I guess Quantic Dreams games can't really be discussed in a forum. Every little thing gets verbally raped and ridiculed.

I think I'll just be waiting for the game to play then and avoid any threads about it.

If Nintendo came out and declared that BoTW had 2 billion lines of code written for the game, they would be ridiculed as well.