• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In more than a month and a half ? I expected more than that for a game of this caliber, since it's supposed to be pretty frontloaded.

Feb 26, 2018
Players. But it's already sold for more than 1mil so it's a good result for a game like this. They need a price drop to keep selling

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Seems solid but unimpressive. Hard to properly assess without knowing Sony's expectations. Appears to be a genre with a relatively low ceiling compared to others.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Very easily is at 1.5 million it was the number 2 PS4 game last month and still charting in Europe.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty good for a game like this.

Bloodborne was reported as passing 2 million 6 months after launch.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-bloodborne-sells-2-million/1100-6430572/

Not really comparable at all.

The game did sell one million units two weeks after release, though.

Is that so ? It means that with one more month it sold less than 500k units. I don't see it going much further unless there's a severe price drop.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
During the PS3 era Sony would be over the moon with sales/players like this. GoW, Horizon, Uncharted, and the Last of Us has shifted the expectation of sales.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
During the PS3 era Sony would be over the moon with sales/players like this. GoW, Horizon, Uncharted, and the Last of Us has shifted the expectation of sales.
This is really silly
The PlayStation unit was again the standout. Its revenue climbed 36 percent during the quarter and operating profit nearly quintupled, riding stronger-than-expected sales of new games including God of War and Detroit: Become Human. More titles were also sold digitally through its PlayStation Network, which generates higher profit margins than through brick-and-mortar stores.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-estimates-on-playstation-sales-spotify-gain

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
This is a very different type of game than the ones you mention. There is not an expectation for it to compete with them. The fact they are announcing this number means they are happy with it.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
With those production values & content ? It wouldn't even have been greenlighted if that was the case.
Apparently Detroit's dev budget was €30 million. Even if we turn that into the USD equivalent (roughly $34,738,500) and then generalise that at 1.5 million sold at $60 USD (which is a terrible thing to build an point off on but I digress) then that's $90,000,000 USD in the bank.

But again, it isn't 1.5 million sold just players, and its a generalisation of the 1.5 mil sold at $60 USD despite other territories and regions pricing the game differently and whatnot. My point is, I guess, that they should have made a profit on it, even if marketing supposedly boosted the budget to over $50 million.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Those are some pretty good numbers. I really loved Detroit Become Human and hopefully this means Sony will continue to publish these type of games.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
numbers of the player!

will i guess Sony will move to numbers of the player If the games didn't Sell too high Comper Compared to other own games (1P games)

but Still 1M and more is Excellent and profitable

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's a shame. It's a fantastic game, I would have thought it would be over 2 million sales.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here you can find more info about the game's budget: https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...ome-human-dev-budget-about-€30-million.17001/

Also, in this interview David Cage said that all of QD's games have been profitable: https://www.resetera.com/threads/in...ndustry-trends-interactive-fiction-etc.43143/

I'm plenty aware. Heavy Rain was a juggernaut, more than doubling its total budget in revenue, due to particularly good word of mouth that made it one of the leggiest 1st party Sony game.

If QD is communicating about these numbers, it must mean that they're happy with those and they probably know how to handle a budget. But it's a noticeably more expensive game than the previous ones and it isn't carrying the same word of mouth. I was just surprised that the number wasn't higher at this point, given the marketing push.

Ya got numbers to share?

Birdseye quoted them for me here. Selling a couple millions LTD when Heavy Rain sold twice more than that would be a terrible scenario, not one that was ever going to happen anyway.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I should've clarified better. I didn't mean just Sony's expectations about sales but people here as well. I do however wonder if Sony would shift in the future to target hit heavy titles only from the AAA space due to the success they had this gen. Time will tell.
Shuhei Yoshida has explicitly said that their job as a first party publisher is to provide variety to a console's game library where not all games they publish are mega sellers, but instead filling gaps not covered by third party publishers.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that? It took Heavy Rain six months to hit 1.5m sales. Know how many units have sold as of 2018? 5.3m.

Heavy Rain was a different case, it made the reputation of the studio and sold that well because of word of mouth. It released kinda "out of nowhere" for the mass market. Maybe thats just me but now that the studio is well established and hyped a more ambitious project for years, I expected more out of it.

Deleted member 43514

Banned
May 16, 2018
Jesse Williams in particular and Bryan Dechart have been very very aggressively marketing this game on their social media. And the fan art following for this game is just as huge as say....Overwatch

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Shuhei Yoshida has explicitly said that their job as a first party publisher is to provide variety to a console's game library where not all games they publish are mega sellers, but instead filling gaps not covered by third party publishers.
Yeah I hope that philosophy remain intact. With projects like Dreams and Concrete Genie there is nothing to worry about in the immediate future.