• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
While Detroit: Become Human's story is certainly the brainchild of enigmatic Quantic Dream founder David Cage, in terms of execution it's also the most collaborative and ambitious on the French studios' CV, sporting a team of writing and directing talent to help communicate the game's complex themes and branching narrative.

To find out a little more about how this worked in practice, we sat down with lead writer Adam Williams and shooting director Benjamin Diebling to discuss the hard work that goes into creating a world as rich and detailed as that of Detroit: Become Human.

1. It's a hugely collaborative story
Quantic Dream's founder, David Cage, may have been central to Detroit: Become Human's creation, but the tale of finding humanity within androids turning 'deviant' was a team effort.

"David was very keen on making this the most collaborative – and interactive – thing he's ever done," explains Adam, who previously worked as a television writer, which also included producing pilots for the BBC. "I was brought in to help him finish and elaborate on the story.

"At the same time, lots of the team pitched in. For example, the composers of the game had a huge input in working on the emotional grammar of the scene, and how the scene could be played out.

"It's our job to let the player write their own story," he continues. We're inviting the player into the writing room and asking them to tell us what happens. Our role is to pose questions and allow the player to answer them in a way which lets them think about the themes in an organic way."

Rest of the article here: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ive-team-brought-a-world-of-androids-to-life/

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope for him and us that this is Cage's Renaissance.

That said, I'm super excited regardless.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
I do think Cage is likely to put out better material when he is in a collaberative setting and has people to spitball ideas with.

Unlike many on this forum i dont think the guy is a hack, but i do feel like he needs someone to bounce ideas off of at least from time to time. Being the sole writer on a project is extremely difficult and, especially in video game writing, isnt really the way to go.

Im glad this game has a set of (hopefully fully capable) writers. Lets hope that pays off :)

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
So no Mayan conspiracies this time? Thank goodness

Edit: Joking aside, Detroit is the first Cage-related game I've been even remotely interested in since Omikron. I'm still going to wait for reviews from folks who've completed the game before I buy it though

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
There will still be the off after taste of classic Cage bullshit that'll ruin the soup. I assure you.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IbOJdCF.jpg

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
This does make me a bit more eager either way.

I'd like to think the other person actually wasn't involved with the writing. They just sat next to Cage with a rolled up newspaper roll and smacked him with it every time Cage started to write something offensive or stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's kind of encouraging at least. I've never had an issue with the game play so much as the fact that every story he writes is a mishmash of ideas and sloppy or outright bad execution that end up imploding on themselves about halfway through.

Maybe such a collaborative effort will have forced him to be far more focused this time.

Still, I get the vibe from the previews that it still has that "off" quality to the characters or they seem more like martians than how people would talk. And that has nothing to do with the subject matter of this particular game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This does make me a bit more eager either way.

I'd like to think the other person actually wasn't involved with the writing. They just sat next to Cage with a rolled up newspaper roll and smacked him with it every time Cage started to write something offensive or stupid.

That's basically what editors are and everyone needs one, even the greatest of directors.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work by actor Bryan Dechart.

Memorised all his lines (already a good sign and too-often unusual) but even used the gamepad as a mnemonic to contextualise the tone of each dialogue choice. Brilliant.

Keen to see the work in situ.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda like Kojima where without supervision from other writers, his script goes super batshit insane.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder who he collaborated with that allowed him to literally put Androids at the back of the bus to "hint" at what topic Quantic Dream is going for.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do think Cage is likely to put out better material when he is in a collaberative setting and has people to spitball ideas with.

Unlike many on this forum i dont think the guy is a hack, but i do feel like he needs someone to bounce ideas off of at least from time to time. Being the sole writer on a project is extremely difficult and, especially in video game writing, isnt really the way to go.

Im glad this game has a set of (hopefully fully capable) writers. Lets hope that pays off :)
I like your comment, unless some other one i've read. Constructive without being childish.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really liked HR, didnt have a problem with that at all. I'm hoping that the writing will be ok for Detroit.

But... some of the ad's they are doing where they've made some videos set before the game (which they are showing on facebook/youtube) some of the writing on them is not that great. There's one with a female android being interviewed, she is not bad in terms of writing and VO acting, but the male interviewer is just atrocious. There's another with the owner of the android factory, again with extremely poor VO acting/writing.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Glad to hear. I think Cage has some cool ideas and the overall narratives have potential, but once you dig in the flaws are so apparent.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but i just finished it and have to say: it fucking shows.
For most of the game I was thinking "this CANNOT be Cage's writing or ideas. Waay better than the other games. It's like he hired someone to restrain his EMOTIONS". Glad to see it true.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Sorry for the bump, but i just finished it and have to say: it fucking shows.
For most of the game I was thinking "this CANNOT be Cage's writing or ideas. Waay better than the other games. It's like he hired someone to restrain his EMOTIONS". Glad to see it true.

yeah,the game is a huge improvement from previous Quantic Dreams games.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
So why is Adam Williams called lead writer here? In the credits of the game, he is listed under "additional writing".

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"It's our job to let the player write their own story," he continues. We're inviting the player into the writing room and asking them to tell us what happen.

Don't worry, David Cage absolutely isn't the lead writer. You are!

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I mean it shows, this is probably the only David Cage game that isn't completely baffling from what I've seen of it.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So why is Adam Williams called lead writer here? In the credits of the game, he is listed under "additional writing".
Cause he got promoted during full production and is now the lead writer going forward for all things writing at the studio and eventual additions/changes they make to Detroit. Even for Detroit he already had a massive hand, since Cage wrote all of his material in French this time around which Adam adapted into English (translation + editing; that's in the credits too). So he is responsible for a lot of the dialogue, fleshing out additional storylines as well as helped Cage finish the final act in general, which shows since it is the first time it doesn't shit the bed.

Other team members also had voting rights on what scenes to retain or cut and there was an additional game director who shared a lot of the creative duties with Cage. It was a very collaborative project, e.g. one game designer suggested they should put male strippers in for more diversity and that's how that happened.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Cause he got promoted during full production and is now the lead writer going forward for all things writing at the studio and eventual additions/changes they make to Detroit. Even for Detroit he already had a massive hand, since Cage wrote all of his material in French this time around which Adam adapted into English (translation + editing; that's in the credits too). So he is responsible for a lot of the dialogue, fleshing out additional storylines as well as helped Cage finish the final act in general, which shows since it is the first time it doesn't shit the bed.

Other team members also had voting rights on what scenes to retain or cut and there was an additional game director who shared a lot of the creative duties with Cage. It was a very collaborative project, e.g. one game designer suggested they should put male strippers in for more diversity and that's how that happened.
I see, thanks for the explanation, it confused me when I saw this thread bumped and it had this wording.