• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
this games keeps getting better, the more I play, I love the segments are about 20 minutes, easy to get in one before work.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017

I skimmed through the article (as in google translated most of the paragraphs (thanks lackluster canadian public school french education)), but it seems like its about how underestimated (and misrepresented) video gaming is by the public and how its amazing how large and how fast its growing.
Basically he's saying a lot of what people here constantly say when talking about the importance of video games. He basically makes a point of using other examples like Gone Home, Journey, God of War and TLoU.

honestly, seems like a perfectly fine opinion piece to me. Nothing that should really be controversial here...
"should" being the key word here >.>

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
this games keeps getting better, the more I play, I love the segments are about 20 minutes, easy to get in one before work.
It gets so awesome at the end. And I definetly really dug the chapter length and pacing.

So is this game successful in terms of sales?
Looks like it! Next NPD might be a big success for it.

honestly, seems like a perfectly fine opinion piece to me. Nothing that should really be controversial here...
"should" being the key word here >.>
Oh most of his interviews are not controversial hence you don't see those anywhere. Bird likes to find and translate his French ones which are usually pretty good. Of course a thread about those wouldn't get past page 1 lol.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Damn, almost 1M views and is some random guy uploading it.
Detroit is massively popular in views. Just check out how many views some random outcome videos are getting:

screenshot_20zvugr.png

screenshot_23dbuf1.png

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Detroit is massively popular in views. Just check out how many views some random outcome videos are getting:

screenshot_20zvugr.png

screenshot_23dbuf1.png
Even websites that disliked the game in the reviews end up doing let's play of the game. Videogamer and Eurogamer. And it got great views compared to the other let's plays they do.

And for the bit I saw they seemed to enjoy it.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Even websites that disliked the game in the reviews end up doing let's play of the game. Videogamer and Eurogamer. And it got great views compared to the other let's plays they do.

And for the bit I saw they seemed to enjoy it.

I tried to watch but that was painfull.The guy is annoying.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

screenshot_20zvugr.png

screenshot_23dbuf1.png

Yeah I thought this would happen. People love seeing all kinds of different outcomes and finding stuff that they didn't even encounter in their own game. Helps that the world and the characters are great.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
QD's most successful game so far, and lots of people are discovering and loving it. Maybe we'll get some WW sales numbers at E3? Already surpassed Heavy Rain all time sales in Japan, great digital sales in US & EU and all that. It's a hit.
Very good. I bought it a week ago and still early in the game, but i can already tell this is a new benchmark in cinematic gaming. The characters are fucking real and the acting is so good. The music carries emotions.
Detroit is a showpiece for the medium.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Very easily QD's best game and a tentpole for interactive adventure games. In terms of branching storylines, it's much better than current genre highs like Life is Strange and Until Dawn, but it once again lacks in writing. Dialogue isn't as wooden as previous QD games, although almost all emotional scenes lack subtlety and characters often specifically spell out the situation, so you know what emotions you're supposed to be feeling.
Alice's reveal is probably the worst offender in this. It's a pretty well executed twist that is undermined by Luther coming to talk to Kara and explaining how emotionally affecting it must be for her. The player isn't stupid. We know what Kara's sudden emotional conflict is and can feel for her without a clear explanation.

Connor is easily the best character and I loved his chemistry with Hank, even if it's a pretty blatant rip-off of Almost Human.

ZaChzOOming

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so awesome and the world & characters are v intriguing. Just starting my second playthrough. I'm really hoping for a sequel, but Quantic Dream has not made any sequel so far...

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
Kizuna Ai has started playing the game. They will add subtitles to this in a day or so. Her reactions are so funny.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Just started playing it and holy crap it looks so good! I'm so amazed what they can squeeze out of the ps4. OG ps4 btw.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
To unlock 100% all of the chapter, is it necessary to go all the way to the end of the chapter to save the choices or just go to the check point is enough?

Did anyone tried it?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say. I loved Heavy Rain (was hyped out about it), but saw how terrible the writing was in there and made me somewhat disillusioned with David Cage, but I always admired how, despite his writing, he saw the narrative potential in video gaming (currently reading through the Huffington piece he wrote and it shows). At the very least, Detroit showed that he was willing to listen to critics and actually got someone to help him write the game (and made the project more collaborative). It actually shows, and while I still do have some qualms about the story, I did enjoy the highs of the game. I got choked up a few times here and there too.

Plus, aside from a few characters, the voice acting/direction was actually pretty good this time. I remember having to play Heavy Rain in French because of it lol. (Which is ironic. IIRC, David Cage wrote that in English, whereas in Detroit, he actually wrote it in French and was only translated to English by his co-writer).

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say. I loved Heavy Rain (was hyped out about it), but saw how terrible the writing was in there and made me somewhat disillusioned with David Cage, but I always admired how, despite his writing, he saw the narrative potential in video gaming (currently reading through the Huffington piece he wrote and it shows). At the very least, Detroit showed that he was willing to listen to critics and actually got someone to help him write the game (and made the project more collaborative). It actually shows, and while I still do have some qualms about the story, I did enjoy the highs of the game. I got choked up a few times here and there too.

Plus, aside from a few characters, the voice acting/direction was actually pretty good this time. I remember having to play Heavy Rain in French because of it lol. (Which is ironic. IIRC, David Cage wrote that in English, whereas in Detroit, he actually wrote it in French and was only translated to English by his co-writer).

Yea, his writing ain't perfect but his direction is usually really good. I don't care if people call it hamfisted or on the nose, I love the melodramatic parts and he always does horror right. His games always have a tense part no matter what. People seem to love Kojima a lot but dude is even more ridiculous with his dialogue and stories. They're on the same level for me.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, his writing ain't perfect but his direction is usually really good. I don't care if people call it hamfisted or on the nose, I love the melodramatic parts and he always does horror right. His games always have a tense part no matter what. People seem to love Kojima a lot but dude is even more ridiculous with his dialogue and stories. They're on the same level for me.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on his direction. While you could argue that Cage's story is pretty simple and cliche, he knows how to write/direct scenes that would make you care and empathize with your characters--which I guess is pretty vital for a game that is about making moral choices. That is why I loved Heavy Rain... The game had strong scenes that lead to the most gut-wrenching decision points. As much as I thought Until Dawn outclassed Heavy Rain, come to think of it, I never had any problem with decision making in Until Dawn (or maybe that was because of the totem, I'm not really sure anymore). The direction was pretty stronger in Detroit too--The Stormy Night chapter being such a rollercoaster ride of a chapter despite being featured in a trailer before.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I talked to a few QD guys before and they also confirmed another thing I always suspected. As much as people like to claim Cage would rather direct movies he writes quite a few scenes gameplay first like the Zlatko chapter. He is very much interested in giving you cool scenarios to actually play and thus often comes to the point quick. Yeah it isn't always subtle but it very much has a purpose.

And with new writers the writing quality can only improve for the overall plot. It very much is a balance between overarching plot and individual vignettes and I feel he gets the balance right better and better with each game.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a minimum spoiler guide somewhere for the choices for the fastest way to get positive points towards earning Hank's trust?

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
holy shit the music in
"The Nest" chase scene
is lifted straight from the chase scene in Inception, that's so cool.

the music in this game has been surprisingly fantastic.