• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is there a way I can keep two games going at once? Would having two accounts on the same PS4 work?

I'm likely going to have two playthroughs with two different groups overlapping...
If you have two accounts you can have two diferent games and saves.
My sister have her own acount on my PS4 and she played Detroit that way, in her own account.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I really need a spin-off focusing on Connor.

I really need everything to be focused on Connor.

If you have two accounts you can have two diferent games and saves.
My sister have her own acount on my PS4 and she played Detroit that way, in her own account.

Perfect! I'm pretty sure I'm going to have two overlapping playthroughs with two groups of people, so I wouldn't want one to lose their save as we go.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I wouldn't mind DLC of one more investigation because the crime scene bits were really my favorite. But I'm not sure how likely that would be considering the MILLIONS of different endings to this game.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The obvious has been finally confirmed!!

screenshot_34nbsek.png

Let's do it:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
This AMA with David Cage certainly had a lot of interesting stuff.
dragonbane could you maybe gather the most important staff in a post?
He talked about a lot of lore stuff too.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Intro to Cage's AMA:
I and the entire team at Quantic Dream have all been hugely impressed and inspired by the wonderful community that is flourishing here and elsewhere online.

So I thought it was time I reached out to you all directly to thank you for your support.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing your questions so, AMA!

Proof:

4QpCvbh.jpg

Edit: That's it from me guys! Thank you so much for all your wonderful questions, I really wish I could answer every single one but there were really too many...

We have all been hugely inspired by this community and it means the world to speak to so many of you directly.

A HUGE THANK YOU to you all for your passion and support. You are the reason why we make games.

Stay tuned ;)

What are you doing at the moment and what's next?

We check the reactions of players on social networks, which is absolutely fascinating.
We also work hard on the next projects!

Quantic Dream tends to move onto new IPs after each game. With the rich world you've created in Detroit, is there any consideration for a spinoff or sequel?
We will work on a sequel if we feel we have ideas, passion and excitement to do it, and if we feel we have something more to say about this world. We have a lot of respect for our fans, and we never wanted to do sequels just for the sake of making easy money. We are driven by passion more than anything, although it is not always something reasonable... but we enjoyed working on Detroit a lot, and there are many exciting stories that could be told in this world for sure.

Possible DLC for Detroit?
There are so many characters in Detroit that could have a DLC about their backstories that it may be difficult to chose one... Actually, I wrote backstories for almost all the characters in the game, so I have a pretty good idea of what happened to them before the game started... But between people wanting investigations with Connor, a full sequel and DLC about all characters, we will need to make a choice ;-)

Which upcoming video game are you most excited for?
Ghost of Tsushima. The guys at Sucker Punch are really talented.

What is your favorite video game and movie?
Many favorite games and films... I am a huge fan of the Tekken series (I know, not much emotion, but I play Tekken since Tekken 1...). I love Kubrick's films, 2001 in particular (I know, I am an old guy...)

Why do you love making games instead of linear stuff such as movies or TV?
I have always been sincerely fascinated by this medium and by how I could tell a story with one million people I never met, as is the case on Detroit. This is something only games can offer, and it is an incredibly exciting experience for any writer.

Will Dark Sorcerer ever happen?
I know I said the same thing about the Kara demo, but there is no plan to make it a game... but never say never! It was a lot of fun to write and shoot, and there are very few comedy games, so why not?

Did you really score the soundtrack for Timecop on the SNES?
Damn, you got me...

Yes, I admit to this (sorry, I needed the money ;-) )

The opening sequence of Detroit probably gives a better idea of my work as a composer ;-)
Note: The credits state that Cage did indeed compose the opening theme for Detroit.

Are you interested in making a narrative driven MP game one day where multiple people interact online/locally and do choices together?
I am very interested in creating a narrative multiplayer game for a long time. There are some creative and technical challenges to overcome and you need the right story to tell, but this is something very exciting... Convincing publishers of trying it is actually another challenge, but this is definitely something I would like to try in a near future.

On the continued use of multiple protagonists:
We definitely like having multiple protagonists, as it allows to tell the story from different points of view and to have a faster pace. It also allows to have some characters dying without stopping the experience.

It is a narrative mode that people are more and more used to by watching TV series, and it works very well with interactive storytelling.

I guess it depends on the type of story you want to tell, some work very well with multiple voices, others don't.

On memes:
The team spends a crazy amount of time checking everything the community creates about Detroit, and I must say that it is really amazing.

My favorite meme is maybe the one about Markus' painting. Some are really funny.

On why there is often a segment in QD games where you are lost/homeless:
I was in New York when I was 15 during a very cold winter. I was walking in my warm coat as it was heavily snowing, and I passed near a young homeless woman who just wore a shirt and was freezing cold. I gave her some money, but I felt so stupid and powerless... I will never forget this moment. I guess it left a long-lasting impression on me...

In the past I've met homeless people who played Beyond, and they told me it was really true to what they experienced. I can only imagine it, as I have never lived this myself, but I feel really proud that they didn't feel I betrayed them or misrepresented their experience.

How difficult is it to work with child actors?
Working with children is always a huge challenge, because there are many restrictions regarding working hours and breaks to protect them, and it is always challenging to get constant concentration. My "trick" is to make sure that they always enjoy what they are doing, that they see it as a game rather than a job. The second I feel they are bored or they don't enjoy it anymore, I usually stop shooting for the day.

Although it is definitely challenging, it is incredibly enjoyable. Children have a very pure approach to acting, and this is what I love with them.

For the role of Alice, we had three different little girls between 8 and 10 for all the body animations, and one, Audrey Boustani, for all the acting/dialogue scenes. Audrey did an amazing job (her mother is an actress herself, which has been immensely helpful in preparing Audrey). The full collaboration took almost two years, which was an issue as Audrey grew up quite a lot in that time frame...

Did someone cry while play testing Detroit?
It really feels like people are really moved by the story and these characters, which is something absolutely amazing. We had people crying during the play tests, which never happened before.

Seeing people's emotional reactions during development was something very inspiring and encouraging, as you can imagine.

On the complexity of Detroit's flowchart:

The crazy amount of branches in the tree structure was by far the most challenging part of the development. We really wanted to create as many options as possible for players in order to give them this feeling of telling their own story through their choices. It quickly became a nightmare, from the writing stage to the final testing of the game. The script got huge, took a lot of time to be written, to be shot with actors, to be implemented, etc.

Most of all, we were terrified until the last second that we missed one case, as there were so many possible combinations (actually we missed a couple, that we fixed very late in the day). Guaranteeing equal quality and story consistency across all possible paths has been by far the most challenging aspect of this project.

I am glad we did it, because hearing gamers talking about the different stories they had is now the best reward I could hope for.

On Chloe in Detroit:
It was a real surprise to see how popular Chloe has become. The idea of having her as the hostess came in the last six months of development. We were wondering how we could make the main menu a little bit more interesting, and we imagined that an android talking to the player would be an amazing hostess. It got written and implemented very quickly. We had a lot of fun writing lines for her, and it was great to see people's reactions.

Let's see what the future holds for Chloe ;-)

How does the skin and hair of androids work?
Skin is like a synthetic fluid that spreads on them, as we showed in the first Kara short. They have control over it, and they can retract it in certain circumstances. It also automatically retracts in case of shocks (hits or removing the LED for example). We also imagined that they could have some kind of control over their hair, which is a feature that CyberLife implemented to let owners customize their model (we can see this with Kara for example).

Is there a "true" ending for Detroit?
There is no "true ending" to the game, I tried to write them in a way that they all feel logical and consistent, and provide a decent sense of closure to all characters (my absolute nightmare for months...). Some are more moving than others, some are more open ended, there are very different flavors and tones in each of them, and that's what I liked about them.

I played the game A LOT during development, as you can imagine, so it is difficult to play it genuinely when it is released... It wouldn't be a fair playthrough anyway, as I know all possible variations and their consequences...

Did the overwhelming preference for Connor in the fanbase come as a surprise?
The preference for Connor (and Hank) was no real surprise, we could really feel during the development that he was very popular with the team and the test players, but all three characters have their fans. It is also interesting to see how people's preference evolves through the game as the story progresses. But it is definitely very interesting to see the incredible support and fan art that Connor gets.

Were there any chapters that were especially enjoyable or stressful to work on?
All Kara's final scenes were particularly challenging for the team. They were very intense and moving scenes, and I know many people at the studio who had a hard time doing their job on the scenes because they were moved. Filming some of these moments was particularly difficult for me too. Valorie Curry, who I know since 2012 when we worked on the first short, she made the entire team cry many times on set.

What's your favorite character?

I don't really have a favorite character, they all have something special to me. Across the game, I would say that I particularly liked Carl, maybe because of the father and son relationship he has with Markus that reminds me somehow of my own relationship with my son. I had a wonderful relationship with pretty much all actors. This script was very special for most of the cast, and most actors arrived on set with a sincere interest and passion for the story we wanted to tell. Working with Lance Henriksen has been a fascinating experience, working with Clancy Brown was a dream come true (he is such an incredible character and a talented actor).

What were the inspirations for the 3 main characters?
Markus had many inspirations as a leader, from Spartacus to Martin Luther King, depending on player's choices. Many revolution leaders confronted with oppression had to find their way and make difficult decisions for their people, from Gandhi to Malcolm X. Rather than copying any of these leaders, we tried to understand the challenges they were confronted with and tried to emulate them in the game.

The real inspiration for Connor came from... Jayden in Heavy Rain! But I tried to give him a very unique flavor and personality, and I had a lot of help from Bryan Dechart in doing this. Blade Runner is part of my culture and one of my favorite films, but I think that Deckard and Dechart are very different, even if they have very similar names ;-)

Kara's story was much more personal to me, I don't know if I had any specific inspiration for it. I just wrote it from the heart.

What was the most significant change from the early drafts to the final script?
The original draft featured four characters, but the more I was progressing in the writing, the more it became absolutely obvious that it would be absolutely impossible to write with the level of branching I had in mind. Complexity increased exponentially very quickly, and I was 20% into the writing with ten times more branches than I could manage ;-) So I had to make a decision and cutting the forth character was the best one (no, I won't tell you who this forth character was!)

Do you like dogs?
I LOVE DOGS!

Unfortunately, my wife is allergic to dogs' hair, so no dog at home... This is why I needed Sumo!

Detroit spoiler stuff:

Androids sitting at the back of the bus and its seemingly obvious parallel to American history:
Interesting point, but you may allow me to disagree. If there were human-like androids one day, they would be stored at the back of public transportation to save room for human beings. It made sense in the world of Detroit, although we were of course totally aware of the historical references. We spent actually a lot of time making research on history, in the US and other countries and in different time periods. Some people felt uncomfortable with this reference to American history and I totally appreciate that.

Do you enjoy reading fan speculation about stuff like rA9?
Reading all the theories behind rA9 is absolutely fascinating.

I am certainly not going to ruin that by giving you an answer! Sometimes mystery is more exciting than truth ;-)

Why can the Alice series deactivate its LED?
We considered that android children had the option to deactivate their LED as they are mostly used in a private environment. Todd deactivated it to better emulate his own daughter.

The Eden Club wipes the memory of its androids, how could the Tracis keep their memories?

Excellent question, and you are right that this is something that we didn't fully explain in the game.

We imagined that Eden Club deleted the short-term memory of their androids to guarantee absolute privacy to their customers, but deviants could keep their emotional memory, which was the case for the two Tracis.

Kara can not become the leader of the revolution despite the initial teaser possibly hinting at such an option:
Thank you for your question which raises a very interesting point.

I actually considered the option of letting the player decide who should be the leader of the revolution, but I felt that Kara's pivot was Alice. We considered that she could run the revolution if Alice and Markus die, but believe me, it made the tree structure completely unmanageable with sub-cases in sub-cases...

It felt like the right balance to have Kara's pivot being Alice and Markus being his people, but like any creative decision, this is totally subjective ;-)

How does the hand connection work? Like when North and Markus join hands? Or when Markus frees other androids?
All androids have wireless communication abilities (when Markus and North join hands, this is something special that they discover for the first time. They realize that they can share their memories).

When Markus converts androids, he creates an emotional shock by touching them and revealing to them that they can be free. It emulates the shock that charismatic leaders can create through inspiring speeches. It is not a power or a new feature, but rather a different use of all androids' abilities.

If they have the possibility to converse without spoken words, through some sort of wi-fi, why don't they use it more frequently?
Interesting question. Actually we considered the option of having all dialogues between androids being wireless, which would have saved us a lot of work with facial animations... but we quickly stepped back thinking it would feel really strange to the player (and emotionally and visually much poorer). So let's say that we tried to find a fair compromise: androids communicate wirelessly when they need to be discreet, but keep expressing themselves because this is part of them being human and showing emotions.

Was it ever considered for Markus to have other possible love interests besides North?

We considered the option for Markus to have other love interests, but the amount of permutations that it would have triggered in the script would have been pretty unmanageable. We chose to privilege the relationship with North, but a relationship with another male character would have worked as well. Androids are of course totally sexually-fluid. We touched upon this topic in the Eden Club scene with the Traci. One of the things that interested us with androids is that they have to discover who they really are. Maybe something we could explore more in the future?

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just lost my favorite character because I choose to not risk my life and another's life to save someone else in an earlier chapter! Are you fucking kidding me!?!?

FUCK

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so beat it. I love/hate it and the tears I shed. Great fucking experience.

Not quiet as good as Beyond and both games shit on Heavy Rain from a great height.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to talk about Markus' story and how its BS

I went Peaceful all the time until I learned they were rounding us up and putting us in camps (like the Nazis!), it was then I went on the attack.

At no point did "Public Opinion" do anything for me. So feeling isolaed I felt the only thing to do was defend my people.

This ended up helping to bite Kara in the ass for me and she died.

Now apparently had I done yet another peaceful demonstration then FINALLY the Public Opinion would help me.

Basically I feel kind of cheated by that.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up my playthrough with my mom haha.

She:
-made Connor go deviant and saved Hank and brought the androids to the revolution
-had Markus go crazy violent lol. North and Josh died, but Markus and Simon finished the assault
-got Alice, Kara and Luther through the border (but I influenced this. She was like "oh just try sacrificing no one" and I was like, naw. I knew she'd be annoyed if they all just got shot, and when I told her, she was like "oh. No. I wouldn't have liked that" lol.)
-she was also apparently really into the idea of Markus and Connor becoming lovers lmao. A #MarkCon shipper?!

She said she really enjoyed Markus and Connor's stories and was a little down on Kara by the end (she thought Alice was annoying haha). She started the game a bit uninterested in Connor and Hank but by the end it was "Connor baby, be careful!" and "that warms my heart!" with Hank and Connor's last scene haha. Connor always wins.

She was also really into Markus' revolution by the end and applauded when Markus gave his speech haha.

She really liked it though and was like "so will there be another?"

Probably not, Mom :( They don't do sequels :(

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Plat'd the game today, wasn't my favorite game this year due to some parts of the story getting a bit cringe-y, especially around the topic of establishing sentience/"being alive", love, android rights and the poorly articulated parallels to slavery and the holocaust but overall i enjoyed it. It was pretty fascinating how utterly different the game played out based on a few small choices I made (had to for the platinum), the endings can vary pretty wildly which is cool. Getting the "I'LL BE BACK" trophy was really tough/long (basically a full replay) but also funny in many ways. The one thing I really DIDN'T like was the magazine stuff for the trophy, a few of them are really hidden away behind very obscure choices and its the one I really had to go get online hints for.

There was an in-game magazine that mentioned how Cyberlife had created a quantum AI that could perform many exoflops and how it was being used to explore extinction level events, kinda felt like a strong hint as to who someone in the game might have been. I really liked the whole backdrop of Russia / USA / Arctic / android armies / war thing, could definitely have a lot of interesting movies/TV/games in this universe.

What would be fascinating sometime in the future is someone creating a game engine and a game like this and letting users then tell their own stories with basic game creation tools. It would be utterly amazing to me if someone created a baseline story game like Detroit BH and then users could create their own little story adventures to tell more stories.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely my GOTY so far. Feels like I'm about halfway through, and I've loved almost every single minute of it.

But...my god, I lose it every time I see the stock sports footage playing on TV LOL - It's so jarring.

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is incredibly depressing. I love it, but it's hard for me to want to continue after some of the topics and events that I've played.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is incredibly depressing. I love it, but it's hard for me to want to continue after some of the topics and events that I've played.

The beauty of it is that you can play this like a "time travel" story, where you can go back and this time your characters are somewhat aware, or get a feeling, about their alternate lives !

And then get better outcomes ! My first playthrough was horrible for everyone.

I didn't even get the cool part about the "bad end" because one character died early >< .

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Finished it, replayed the last chapter because I hated the way it ended for Kara, and quite shocked how much things changed, hitting more prompts in time. Happy with my second ending. I was violent.

love the game. I really fell for Kara and her relationship, and picking things to push connor one direction was much fun.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finished it, replayed the last chapter because I hated the way it ended for Kara, and quite shocked how much things changed, hitting more prompts in time. Happy with my second ending. I was violent.

love the game. I really fell for Kara and her relationship, and picking things to push connor one direction was much fun.
Awesome to hear man. Glad your pre-owned PS4 survived it haha

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this game deserves dlc. How feasible that is, I don't know. This game looks like it was crazy expensive to produce. One could hope.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished up the game last night! This is the first QD game I've played and I'm still working through my thoughts.

I guess the most surprising thing to me is how much I enjoyed actually playing the game. I'm not the hugest fan of QTEs, but knowing that your choices have actual consequences, and that characters could die, really amped up the stakes and did a great job building up tension in a lot of scenes.

I guess I'll also echo what everyone else is saying in that I really enjoyed the Connor storyline, although one big moment fell pretty flat for me...
The whole scene with Kamski just did not work at all for me. Dude was such an over the top dick that it made me not care at all about that moral dilemma in the scene. I was kind of hoping there was an option to shoot him instead of Chloe (or preferably shoot them both.. side note, I hated Chloe and kicking her off my title screen was the easiest decision in the game).

In the end I didn't shoot Chloe just because I didn't want to do what that prick was telling me to do... so, I guess the game was successful at evoking an emotional response, although it may not have been the one they were going for...

The writing definitely was the weakest part of the game, and it was most noticeable in the most ambitious storyline (Marcus). Even at its best, the writing had a "that's not quite how people speak" quality to it. And, at its worst... well it's been covered ad nauseam elsewhere.

Anyway, I am really glad I played the game! Overall I recommend it, although I can see why some people wouldn't. Looking forward to QD's next effort.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't finished the game yet, but I'm pretty blown away by it. I thought I wouldn't like anyone except Connor, but there are so many enjoyable characters in this game that I'm really surprised by how much I'm into it. Even the girl from the main menu is cool. I see the complaints about the writing, but it's fine to me, and some scenes are just awesome. I wish this game had more attention. I feel like it's flown under the radar already. It's damn good.

And I'm excited to play some free Heavy Rain when I'm done. Is it as good as Detroit?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is it as good as Detroit?
At the time it was despite a few issues. It was also quite revolutionary. 8 years later it has significantly aged. Graphically it's acceptable still (on PS4), but a lot of the facial animations dive right into the uncanny valley or look funny. The acting ranges from decent to rather poor and is vastly inferior to Beyond/Detroit and can't match the big strides that have been made since in gaming. Controls are a bit clunky, but you get used to them. The OST, choices and general gameplay implementation still range from pretty good to excellent. The story is still gripping and intense if you get into it, but there are significant and glaring flaws including plot holes you will notice at the end.

Overall it is very much worth playing still if you never have, but is also a product of its time and after Detroit will feel inferior in many ways

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
At the time it was despite a few issues. It was also quite revolutionary. 8 years later it has significantly aged. Graphically it's acceptable still (on PS4), but a lot of the facial animations dive right into the uncanny valley or look funny. The acting ranges from decent to rather poor and is vastly inferior to Beyond/Detroit and can't match the big strides that have been made since in gaming. Controls are a bit clunky, but you get used to them. The OST, choices and general gameplay implementation still range from pretty good to excellent. The story is still gripping and intense if you get into it, but there are significant and glaring flaws including plot holes you will notice at the end.

Overall it is very much worth playing still if you never have, but is also a product of its time and after Detroit will feel inferior in many ways

Is Beyond the same way? I have that downloaded and want to play with my partner but haven't had the chance to yet.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is Beyond the same way? I have that downloaded and want to play with my partner but haven't had the chance to yet.
Beyond impressively hasn't aged much I would say. It made a big enough jump over Heavy Rain in just 3.5 years that it will hold up for a long time. Graphics especially on PS4 are very nice still despite obviously not holding a candle to Detroit. Facial animations are quite convincing throughout and the acting is fantastic. Pretty much Detroit levels. Great soundtrack and gameplay is solid. Big choices are sadly very lacking this time around as the story is rather linear with only minor bends. It also dives super deep into the supernatural, but the story is more cohesive than Heavy Rain overall. But it needs to be your thing. Also expect some cringe

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NOOOOOOO GOD, PLEASE NO! So I just finished the chapter where the raid on Jericho takes place and I'm sick to my stomach. Protecting Alice has been, far and away, my number one objective in this game (even above freedom for the androids). I left everyone else behind as Kara, and didn't let anything distract me from this one objective.

Unfortunately, I was one of like 5-7% of people who, instead of playing dead and REMAINING "dead," decided to hit the "Protect Alice" selection...killing them both. I'm devastated, not only because of the obvious end result, but also because of my sheer stupidity. I guess I was used to instinctively slam-picking any option that deals with protecting Alice, but man...

I have a rule with these types of games to no go back on my first playthrough, so it is what it is. I'll definitely correct this choice afterward though lol.

Other than that, what a game. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
NOOOOOOO GOD, PLEASE NO! So I just finished the chapter where the raid on Jericho takes place and I'm sick to my stomach. Protecting Alice has been, far and away, my number one objective in this game (even above freedom for the androids). I left everyone else behind as Kara, and didn't let anything distract me from this one objective.

Unfortunately, I was one of like 5-7% of people who, instead of playing dead and REMAINING "dead," decided to hit the "Protect Alice" selection...killing them both. I'm devastated, not only because of the obvious end result, but also because of my sheer stupidity. I guess I was used to instinctively slam-picking any option that deals with protecting Alice, but man...

I have a rule with these types of games to no go back on my first playthrough, so it is what it is. I'll definitely correct this choice afterward though lol.

Other than that, what a game. Can't wait to see how it ends.

:( I'm sorry.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Platinumed it.

I must say, that was probably the finest piece of media I've consumed in the last few years. The amount of branching story stuff is absurd, how the hell they even wrote this and made it all work blows my mind. What a game.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started palying the game yesterday. Reached
Thid dude is giving me bad vibes. He's creeping me out. As soon as he saw Alice he accepted them in. Something is definetly off.

No. Fuck basements in movies or videogames. Nothing good goes on in a basement.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me roughly how much of this I have left, time-wise? Gotta try to fit it in with a busy weekend. I just

got through the FBI raid on Jericho. All three characters are alive.