• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamereactor
While one of Detroit: Become Human's greatest strengths is the fear of consequences and of making the right choice, it also succeeds in its very impactful storylines. Feelings are evoked very strongly vi these scenarios, as the fathers among us may feel the fear of becoming like the evil junkie dad, Todd, who we serve as Kara. Seeing his daughter Alice fear her father is incredibly powerful too, and despite the furore surrounding whether these themes should be explored in games, we felt it tug at our heartstrings.

Daily Star
Quantic Dream might be back to their best

Gaming Boulevard
Most anticipated game of 2018

Mobilesyrup
Become Human is Quantic Dream's most ambitious game yet

TheSixthAxis
Sony are on a bit of a hot streak with their first party exclusives. With Aloy and Kratos having earned no small amount of praise, they're no doubt expecting that Kara, Connor and Markus will as well. Certainly, expectations are high after years of impressive looking trailers and demonstration of what is clearly their most ambitious and expansive game yet.

ShackNews
What blew me away was when the scene ended and I was presented with the web of possibilities. I also saw in the upper-left corner "17% complete." I had apparently only scratched the surface of what was possible.

IGN
Detroit: Become Human is intriguing because, if nothing else, no one is making games quite like it. Telltale's aim and scope are much different, and most other adventure games simply don't have the backing (and, no doubt, budget) of a first-party studio. Here's hoping Cage's latest lives up to its massive potential.

VG247
It's a shame that Detroit: Become Human arrives with such baggage in tow, because when viewed outside that context it looks very likely to be Quantic Dream's best game to date.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Previous Cage games have disappointed me, this one looks surprisingly better and more accomplished. Hoping it turns out good, but I'll keep expectations low.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I'm really hoping this turns out to be good. It has a lot of potential, but Cage...

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've played the Connor demo at a few different events and it definitely felt more like Heavy Rain than Beyond: Two Souls. To be honest, I've never been enamoured with the concept as I feel like we've had this kind of story in games before, and one thing I've always appreciated about Quantic Dream is that they're willing to tell stories that are quite unusual for the medium.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
After Heavy Rain getting an 87 on Metacritic, I can't really trust reviewers when it comes to these types of games.

I feel like you have to take it in context, though. While I agree that it's absolutely no where near an 87 now, at the time there was nothing quite like it. And whatever you think of the writing or studio or even "narrative" games, the formula was quite innovative; I very much doubt Telltale's modern portfolio or games like Life Is Strange and Until Dawn would exist without it.

In that sense, I do understand why it was so revered in 2010.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I have never been a massive Quantic Dream fan. I enjoyed part of their production, while the rest left me rather cold. Yet, Detroit: Become Human feels different. While I played only two hours, they felt tenser and more believable than any previous game by the studio, even thanks to the acting and performance capture that definitely was kicked up a notch or many.

Ultimately, it felt more human, which is ironic considering that we're playing androids.

This is a game that comes with an extremely strong presentation and absolutely fantastic graphics, but there is a lot more behind that glossy surface: great writing, an engrossing story, a deep, rich, and complex setting, and characters you really care for are mixed into an amalgam that feels just right and creates the potential for a classic. Time will tell whether this potential will be carried on all the way through the game or not, but for now, color me intrigued (and still a bit terrified, but in a good way).
https://www.dualshockers.com/detroit-become-human-preview/

Nov 1, 2017
I'm wary of critic scores on QD games when Heavy Rain is simply a good joke game and not actually dramatic or emotional at all.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've just played the demo. I did feel the pressure in some of the choices.

After it finished it shows a massive chart of all the ways it could go and the things you can do. Seems pretty deep.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. Looks like this is returning to the investigative roots of the likes of Heavy Rain and less action-focused than Beyond.

Which is a + in my book.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
mods will have a hard time seen through concern trolling. About the game, its like a real successor for Heavy Rain, everything about looks great. The UI, the robot detective, the different endings for each scenarios.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Story themes, game play concepts.

Photography and actual writing were handled by two other people.

Hmm, guess we'll just have to wait and see then. I never had a problem with the gameplay of the Cage games, just the story and the writing. Maybe this could be the start of a good direction.

I feel like you have to take it in context, though. While I agree that it's absolutely no where near an 87 now, at the time there was nothing quite like it. And whatever you think of the writing or studio or even "narrative" games, the formula was quite innovative; I very much doubt Telltale's modern portfolio or games like Life Is Strange and Until Dawn would exist without it.

In that sense, I do understand why it was so revered in 2010.

I mean, Fahrenheit (And to a lesser extent, Omikron) were the same formula but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the reviewers just never played them and thought this was a revolutionary concept. Reading the reviews though, a lot of people thought the story itself was stellar, and I just can't agree.

That was a decade ago though, and a lot has changed in journalism and stories in games, so it'll be interesting to see what people say.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Wrong place to ask, but will there be any limited/special editions for this game? I had no idea it was releasing so damn soon.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am confident on it being good

Hopefully I am right. Excited to play the demo after I finish GOW

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Playstation just entered Ultra Beast Mode. That or for some reason I expected previews to be more muted than this?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Interesting read. Even when I was a fan of Heavy Rain, Beyond felt like a step back in comparison. I'ven't feel much hype for Detroit due that; but it seems I may have to keep an eye on it

OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony strikes continues, this game is gonna be amazing, already paid let´s go!

More previews added btw.

Dark Souls and Detroit damn HYPED!

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
While one of Detroit: Become Human's greatest strengths is the fear of consequences and of making the right choice, it also succeeds in its very impactful storylines. Feelings are evoked very strongly vi these scenarios, as the fathers among us may feel the fear of becoming like the evil junkie dad, Todd, who we serve as Kara. Seeing his daughter Alice fear her father is incredibly powerful too, and despite the furore surrounding whether these themes should be explored in games, we felt it tug at our heartstrings...

i mean, we've gone full dad this gen, haven't we? :) ...

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better, Cage didn't write this.

Nooooooo. FUCK!

The awful, horrible writing was the only thing that made the last two games fun. It was basically the gaming's equivalent of The Room. Cage is our Wiseau. Without that, what else is there? I sure as shit am not playing it for the "gameplay".

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation LifeStyle
One of the key points I was looking for as I played Detroit was context. Themes present in certain scenes have been criticized as gratuitous. Dealing with abuse, notably that of a child, is not something that should be handled hamfistedly, but criticisms always struck me as meaningless without wider context surrounding them, like showing off a reel of violent moments in video games. It's alarmist, sure, but it strikes down the greater meaning that could ultimately contextualize those moments.

In the opening three hours, I found that very context.

Great to hear.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the demo I played at E3 some time back. At the very least it can't be worse than Indigo Prophecy.

Hahaha. Who am I kidding it's David Cage.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! Really glad to hear it doing well. Very excited for my first QD game. Stoked for the demo tomorrow.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think some people on this forum just sit there refereshing the page constantly waiting for a Detroit topic to come in so they can run in and tell us all how bad David Cage is.

It's hilarious

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
My playthrough probably just the best possible choices.

I don't have the balls to make bad decisions lol.

I can't & wont even Platinumed Heavy Rain because of it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nooooooo. FUCK!

The awful, horrible writing was the only thing that made the last two games fun. It was basically the gaming's equivalent of The Room. Cage is our Wiseau. Without that, what else is there? I sure as shit am not playing it for the "gameplay".

You have a ton of choices in the game, including completely moronic ones that put your characters in dire situations. So just pick the worst possible choice every time and you ll like playing " Detroit : Cage edition ".

Hype restored ?