• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
it may very well be, but as you kinda bullshot (no offense, it requires talent) every single gif you make to pass as almost as a port to a 5000$ pc version of the game that doesn't really exist, i'll bet it doesn't look that good on my tv so i'm not really kidding myself with a "that can't reeealy look that good". Because it doesn't?

It's a really really impressive looking game.
Really great use of HDR in the demo too

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have yet to play GoW but so far the demo took the cake when it came to HDR implementation and how flat it looks without it. The screenshots I took and the actual game look substantially different.

Oct 30, 2017
Just tried the demo, damn this is one pretty looking game at 4k and HDR. I'm playing on a Sony oled the HDR highlights really stand out nicely, really can't capture it in pics or gif form to how the game really looks.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
After reading this thread and seeing the gifs, I was going to just play blindly when it officially releases, but I might just download the demo just to get in early. I like these types of games since I usually play them with my wife.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I Think David Cage is a hack, and was deciding against even checking the game, but the demo sold me.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Character movement feels pretty poor but it's possibly something I'll get used to over the course of a long game like this.

Demo was pretty fun and a smart length that made a friend and I want to go back and see the different permutations. I liked the idea that things the android did could potentially effect the perception of his kind. That surprised me to see surfaced.

Nov 2, 2017
Yep, demo was great (smart move by Sony). Game mechanics were designed really well enough for me, and there is a depth (but still not much in the particular demo may be it will change when connected to other chapters and characters then we see great depth). Cant wait for the game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Slaythe Look at this massive downgrade:

downgrade upgrade

The funny thing is, when the first trailer dropped, I remember people praising the graphics and Kara's looks, but to me she looked HORRIBLE.

They had completely left out of the actress' charm. But they refined her and now she looks perfect.

The only bad thing is that pre rendered video (like on the ipad) use the first rendering solution they had which was poor. It's jarring. I think they should have used some filter to add noise to mask the issues.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Game looks interesting.

292etk.jpg

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo again with the wife making the story/dialogue choices (same way we played Heavy Rain and Life is Strange etc).

Managed to at a 100% on the success probability lol.

Snipers still ended up shooting Daniel but the massive flowchart showed like 10 different outcomes so .. let's see..

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me want to get a 4K TV today, lol.

Between this and God of War I need to step my game up quick.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Loved Heavy Rain at the time, and I missed the lack of real consequence in Beyond Two Souls, so by the sounds of things I'll probably dig this.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me want to get a 4K TV today, lol.

Between this and God of War I need to step my game up quick.

If you have the budget, I would recommend wait a month or two, TCL's 2018 lineup should be out and their 2017 lineup should get discounted. I bought their 2017 P605 from Bestbuy for $599 last year and it's easily the best 'budget' 4K + HDR TV you can find. It was reviewed and rated the best price to performance TV last year by many outlets.

With all the older games getting Pro upgrades and the new and future releases all likely getting 2160p (with checker board rendering) resolution or so, it's definitely worthwhile.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great demo but seemed super easy. I got 100% and just used common sense for approaching him. I didnt investigate the whole apt either.

Hope the actual game is more challenging

Aldebaran

Oct 27, 2017
If we kill Connor in this scene he never comes back right?

Fucking crazy how will the story go wtf, people will have to play this hundreds of times lmao
He's a fucking robot and his memory, personality, emotion... are nothing but program codes. They can restore and even improve him using some backup.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Slaythe Look at this massive downgrade:

downgrade upgrade

it´s not an upgrade, it`s not a downgrade...but certainly some things were changed for the better, others for the badder...the human faces don`t look so good anymore for example(police officer) and the blue tint is not to every liking. And yes, there is some uncanny valley effect going on in the game. The facial animations aren`t too hot either for my taste.

But the Androids look more like Androids now (skin pores reduced) and the clothes were adjusted...i personally thought the new version doesn`t look so good like the first showings, the blue tint washes away many little details...

really strange was the tablet video that looked bad and Daniels pistol looked like plastic..

Oct 27, 2017
Great demo but seemed super easy. I got 100% and just used common sense for approaching him. I didnt investigate the whole apt either.

The game is not meant to test your reflexes but your moral choices
He's a fucking robot and his memory, personality, emotion... are nothing but program codes. They can restore and even improve him using some backup.
Connor is a prototype, though. Not sure there's another one of him available

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
it´s not an upgrade, it`s not a downgrade...but certainly some things were changed for the better, others for the badder...the human faces don`t look so good anymore for example(police officer) and the blue tint is not to every liking. And yes, there is some uncanny valley effect going on in the game. The facial animations aren`t too hot either for my taste.

But the Androids look more like Androids now (skin pores reduced) and the clothes were adjusted...i personally thought the new version doesn`t look so good like the first showings, the blue tint washes away many little details...

really strange was the tablet video that looked bad and Daniels pistol looked like plastic..

Outside of the girl that has piercing eyes now for some reason, everything you criticize is literally due to the color grading. It's precisely used to make things look colder.

Which is unique to Connor, the others don't share the same one.

1519914922-4712-capture-d-ecran.jpg

edit :

OH...

This is why, the two girls looked too much alike and I think they even have the same name.

1519914848-3269-capture-d-ecran.jpg

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But the moral choices seemed common sense in the demo. Not sure why you are mentioning reflexes, that has nothing to do with my original concern

Yeah it gets tougher later on, that was literally the first mission in the game. Not some mission they picked for the demo.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
But the moral choices seemed common sense in the demo. Not sure why you are mentioning reflexes, that has nothing to do with my original concern
Yeah as mentioned this is the first scene of the full game too. I do assume later on the choices will get more subtle and previews hinted at this. Mainly your options in later chapters will be determined by choices you made in earlier ones. Something the very first chapter can't have obviously so it is both in one as a tutorial.

Loved Heavy Rain at the time, and I missed the lack of real consequence in Beyond Two Souls, so by the sounds of things I'll probably dig this.
I do think you will like this one yes :D It is the "true" successor to Heavy Rain.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's a shame that we never got a preview from Easy Allies in the end - I would've liked to have heard their thoughts on the first two hours of the game.

I wonder who they've got lined up to review it. Huber's a safe bet, since he seems to be something of a QD fan (hell he even liked Beyond!), but Ben might do it, to offer something of a more discerning opinion (he's quite harsh on QD based on past comments).

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's a shame that we never got a preview from Easy Allies in the end - I would've liked to have heard their thoughts on the first two hours of the game.

I wonder who they've got lined up to review it. Huber's a safe bet, since he seems to be something of a QD fan (hell he even liked Beyond!), but Ben might do it, to offer something of a more discerning opinion (he's quite harsh on QD based on past comments).
Easy Allies seems to do previews, but not too many of them. Maybe they are saving Huber for the review and didn't want to waste him on the preview. Then again Huber just did the God of War review so maybe it will be Ben.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I was kind of disappointed by the lack of Cageisms in the preview, but at least that selfie video was deeply uncomfortable and made me wonder why a family would get a robot that looks like a grown ass man as a friend for their little girl. Hoping for more creepy things in the full game.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018

It's funny, because in my first attempt i was trying to give all the right answers and still had that ending of Connor falling from the building. And looking at the stats, that seems to be the ending most people are getting lol. I think a lot of people will lose some character in the beginning of the game lol.

edit :

OH...

This is why, the two girls looked too much alike and I think they even have the same name.

1519914848-3269-capture-d-ecran.jpg
Is the same girl isn't she? I much prefer this melancholic look she used to have.

Edit: Oh no, the girl in the Kara's plot is Alice. And the girl in the Connor's plot is Emma.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was kind of disappointed by the lack of Cageisms in the preview, but at least that selfie video was deeply uncomfortable and made me wonder why a family would get a robot that looks like a grown ass man as a friend for their little girl. Hoping for more creepy things in the full game.
Because he is their Android nanny.........producing child like Androids instead would be ripe for abuse and a terrible idea

Is the same girl isn't she? I much prefer this melancholic look she used to have.
Completely different girl and family. Emma is the girl in this first Connor chapter and probably won't appear again, Alice the one Kara is supposed to take care of. What people often miss with QD games is that they burn through an incredible amount of characters and scenes quick. That means some of the modelling will fall short of some of the others because these characters literally have 10 minutes of screentime in the whole game. The same goes for the apartment in general. It is what keeps it fresh for me and I like it a lot. Every scene is different

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's where your mind goes....and Cage is the weirdo? Lol

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
Completely different girl and family. Emma is the girl in this first Connor chapter and probably won't appear again, Alice the one Kara is supposed to take care of. What people often miss with QD games is that they burn through an incredible amount of characters and scenes quick. That means some of the modelling will fall short of some of the others because these characters literally have 10 minutes of screentime in the whole game. The same goes for the apartment in general. It is what keeps it fresh for me and I like it a lot. Every scene is different
Yeah, they look like twins. I think that's why they changed the color of Emma's eyes to try to differentiate the two girls. It's all cool now lol.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Pertaining to the hue change, from what I recall, it was an intentional choice and are different from each of the three protagonist. Connor exemplifies a cold and calculated android and as such both visual temperature (Kelvin) and soundtrack surrounding him portray a cold precision.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Im downloading now, im really excited for this game and i really hope i will like it!

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Update :

An average playthrough should be around 12 to 15 hours, not killing off characters and rushing around.

The platinum isn't "seeing all paths" and it's easy to go back to specific moments, it's estimated to take around 20 to 25 hours to platinum it based off what you managed in the first playthrough.

So basically, you can either decide to replay the game from scratch to get a "full new story" or focus on specific parts and go from there.
I've kept my expectation low but damn, after previews, new informations, impressions, I think it will be the Heavy Rain of this gen, with better writing.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Pertaining to the hue change, from what I recall, it was an intentional choice and are different from each of the three protagonist. Connor exemplifies a cold and calculated android and as such both visual temperature (Kelvin) and soundtrack surrounding him portray a cold precision.
Yep that's it. The awesome thing is this might be subject to change in later chapters depending how you play Connor. That would be utterly amazing. I can already imagine how Marcus' grading might shift from warm at the beginning to something else if you play him maximum evil. A lot of cool things you can do with subtle changes like these.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The colour tone is colder but did they remove SSS? I prefer the warmer colour tone.

Not at all. This is because their previous SSS pass wasn't as accurate and this also due to ligthing change. You know there is no loss in skin pores or details. When you see sharp details on a skin being more prominent , it means the SS solution is not that right or that there is no SSS at all. The models still have those skin details but with a correct SSS implemenation and adequate lighting, the skin reacts to light and makes such details subtle and not that sharp.

From The order 1886.

Left withn no SSS / Right with SSS:

QfTVDxK.jpg

Also the extra added layers of post processing like motion blur, bloom depth of field and TAA contribute in masking such details. Take a still picture and you can see all thsoe details.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the graphics what really impressed me is how the game manages to blend dialogue and interactions. In many games the dialogue would get cut off as soon as you start an interaction but here it continues to flow on naturally, even giving some additional cinematic close ups while the characters finish the dialogue.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the graphics what really impressed me is how the game manages to blend dialogue and interactions. In many games the dialogue would get cut off as soon as you start an interaction but here it continues to flow on naturally, even giving some additional cinematic close ups while the characters finish the dialogue.

I noticed this too. The transitions were pretty fluid.

I really liked it, though I've always like the QD games.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Never played any other QD games before.
Are all of them in the same quality? I really liked this demo
Not quite as high especially in modern times with the technical aspects but Heavy Rain is still an absolutely amazing game to me. Just outdated tech, voice acting is pretty iffy and the story has some problems but my god it has an incredible intensity if you get into it. Some unforgettable sequences. Beyond is more muted but has great acting and graphics even today. It has a few quite emotional scenes but the gameplay isn't as good as in Heavy Rain.

I will say you probably will enjoy one of them or both if you really liked this demo. They are great on PS4 and Beyond is available in this month's PS+!

Last edited: