• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This trailer completely sold me on the game. I wasn't completely sure after the recent E3 trailer, but now I'm 100% in.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the factionalising of groups in to "waypointers" ....

David Cage has an almost cartoonish understanding of writing drama. He tries to do shades of grey but he often commits to tropes and is looks things in a very black and white way. He thinks he understands subtlety but he's very heavy handed.

When i saw the latest trailer firstly i was laughing at the Father because how hard he was written to look like a horrible person. It's like over writing a character and feels like Cage is waving huge red flags and shouting "THIS MAN IS BAD."

It stopped being funny when the child abuse thing was going on because no matter how it's written child abuse is always horrible.

Basically I think Cage relies on heavy subject matter to add gravity to his bad writing. Additionally the trailer seemed to be showing the storyline for the fail state of that scenario. Remember that kids getting beaten with a belt happens every day and boiling that down to a fail state can look like you're trivialising it.

That's why I don't think Cage should be doing it, he's heavy handed in his approaches, isn't a good writer, and relies on taboo subjects to pass his work off as ground breaking.
He hired writers for this game.

I honestly don't see any red flags about this trailer. Yes, child abuse is a heavy subject, but I believe is a topic worth visiting and could help raise awareness. Trailer actually highlights the consequences of being passive about it and not acting on time.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That was incredible and also pretty unsettling. I still haven't played any of Quantic Dreams' games, and I'm excited to play them in the future, but this one seems a lot more interesting than the past two.

That was Kara from the earlier trailers, though, right? The one who broke free and whatnot? Guessing this happens before that or something.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always a good time to remember this

Sk6MRzm
Sk6MRzm

Ronin7th

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I'm on the fence about this game. I may be carrying baggage from Beyond Two Souls. But I am still wary of Quantic Dreams writing abilities to cover subjects as heavy as child abuse. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I didn't see anything to persuade me in this trailer.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
This trailer is incredible. I've never played any of Quantic Dream's games before, but I'm really excited and hope that the actual game is just as good.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I'll look into getting a copy of HR, not sure any of the stores around these parts still sell it.

The Beyond port to PS4 has a mode where the game plays out in order. Originally on PS3 the story would jump around from different time eras. If you can get Beyond cheap on PS4 I'd still recommend it. Some cool scenes.

As for people arguing about showers, people have showers daily in life. My point? David Cage for better or worse is the type of creator who will allow you to open cupboards to look at tins of soup, or have a QT mini game to turn on a stereo. He appears to think it adds immersion, and while all of this fluff falls flat a lot as it's not really "fun", as others have pointed out he's equal opportunities. Doesn't matter the gender of the controlled character, they all get to experience his interactive fluff.

DarkJak101

Oct 27, 2017
The Beyond port to PS4 has a mode where the game plays out in order. Originally on PS3 the story would jump around from different time eras. If you can get Beyond cheap on PS4 I'd still recommend it. Some cool scenes.

As for people arguing about showers, people have showers daily in life. My point? David Cage for better or worse is the type of creator who will allow you to open cupboards to look at tins of soup, or have a QT mini game to turn on a stereo. He appears to think it adds immersion, and while all of this fluff falls flat a lot as it's not really "fun", as others have pointed out he's equal opportunities. Doesn't matter the gender of the controlled character, they all get to experience his interactive fluff.
Its on PS4? That's awesome, I'll get it there then, hopefully it goes on sale on PSN soon lol. Pro support?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
who will allow you to open cupboards to look at tins of soup, or have a QT mini game to turn on a stereo. He appears to think it adds immersion
I absolutely adore that kinda stuff so he hits the right notes for me at least. Its roleplaying for me as a character I dont really know yet and its strangely intriguing

loved the trailer. do we know the soundtrack composer for "Detroit" already?
It was assumed to be Lorne Balfe, who already scored Beyond (very good OST too). He did score the initial 2 trailers for Detroit but apparently hasnt done the newest one so maybe the final composer is someone different.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that Kara can ''die'' in this scenario. At the end of the trailer they're showing a diagram of all the possible outcomes. At the bottom right there's one that reads ''Todd kills Kara''. I wonder what happens to the story after that. I guess this game will need at least 2-3 playthrough to see most outcomes.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I noticed that Kara can ''die'' in this scenario. At the end of the trailer they're showing a diagram of all the possible outcomes. At the bottom right there's one that reads ''Todd kills Kara''. I wonder what happens to the story after that. I guess this game will need at least 2-3 playthrough to see most outcomes.

Well the trailer does lay out something about Kara being reset and losing her memories in the process so I suppose that could be a gameplay element of some sort.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
amazing trailer, kinda reminded me of that scene in War of the Worlds (2000s) where theyre stuck witht that one dude. Not sure if the game can live up to how well directed this trailer was tho

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first thing shown from Detroit that actually has me interested. Reminded me a lot of Heavy Rain.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who is the composer? We need to talk about the incredible music. I cant stop watching the trailer because of it.

Guyver

Oct 31, 2017
Wow this trailer is great, Can't wait till it come out. Hopefully the whole game doesn't disappoint.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah apparently all 3 characters can die early on ending the story. I was surprised to see how early though. Connor and Kara can apparently bite it in their first scene. Very ballsy move on QD's part.

Who is the composer? We need to talk about the incredible music. I cant stop watching the trailer because of it.
Unfortunately its not Lorne Balfe as I asked him on twitter. He did Beyond and the 2 trailers beforehand, but not this one. Its either a new composer who is also scoring the game and we dont know him yet or they pulled a track from audionetwork which QD always uses for external music that isnt part of the OST. Either way it bodes very well for the final game having yet another great OST (QD never disappoints there really).

admartian

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the factionalising of groups in to "waypointers" ....

David Cage has an almost cartoonish understanding of writing drama. He tries to do shades of grey but he often commits to tropes and is looks things in a very black and white way. He thinks he understands subtlety but he's very heavy handed.

When i saw the latest trailer firstly i was laughing at the Father because how hard he was written to look like a horrible person. It's like over writing a character and feels like Cage is waving huge red flags and shouting "THIS MAN IS BAD."

It stopped being funny when the child abuse thing was going on because no matter how it's written child abuse is always horrible.

Basically I think Cage relies on heavy subject matter to add gravity to his bad writing. Additionally the trailer seemed to be showing the storyline for the fail state of that scenario. Remember that kids getting beaten with a belt happens every day and boiling that down to a fail state can look like you're trivialising it.

That's why I don't think Cage should be doing it, he's heavy handed in his approaches, isn't a good writer, and relies on taboo subjects to pass his work off as ground breaking.
I mean if you're gonna "ignore" something just straight up ignore it - no need to stand on a plinth and announce it. :p And I don't even know what factionalising is meant to imply but all good!

Someone being bad at something isn't enough of a reason for them not to do it. Just because people wouldn't like it etc It's "art" medium or whatever - they're expressing their "badness" or how they perceive certain things.

It's not ideal that anyone (not just in games) is "bad" at something (save of course emergency staff, doctors etc = you know, things that actually matter). No one theoretically has to like their "badness" either.

I am not a fan of of "DOING [X] SUGGESTS/MEANS/IMPLIES [Y]" type of reasoning. It's weak and dangerously suggestive of someone's personal intentions, being, and character etc.

I personally like the story in Cage's games. But of course not everyone or even the majority of people or gamers do! But that doesn't mean they (devs/directors like Cage) shouldn't continue to do what they do.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
I'm confused, is the game just this scenario or is their more to it, cause I feel like I've played it all from that trailer

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
You dont really need to worry. While losing Corbeil was tragic as hell and his score is the best a QD title has had yet, the Beyond OST was nothing to snuff at either. Im usually not a giant fan of Lorne Balfe (I guess by extension Hans Zimmer too), but he really put a lot of effort into the Beyond score and its probably his best work to date. Last I heard he does Detroit too so it should be really nice at the very least. Cage's original profession was being a composer which explains his big focus on music in his games and probably why its consistently good because he knows what he is looking for
I'm not gonna be losing sleep or nothing, lol. But yeah, thanks for the reassurance. Lorne did do a lot work on Beyond that I liked.