• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
EDIT: MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS!

Really good analysis on the heavy-handed, contradictory writing of David Cage's game.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The game is flat out confused as to what androids actually are pre-Touched by Android Jesus.

Are they sapient but in a sunken place? Then the game allows you to basically acquire a new slave after the secret ending. Are the androids not sapient pre-touch and their intelligence comes from some virus? Then it makes no sense for Android Jesus to call the condition of those androids as "slavery."

It's just fucking weird how the main concept of the story is something that the game has no idea about. It has no internal canon or logic about what androids pre-touch/murder attempt are.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
"David Cage said his game about starting a race riot in a city that has famously had two race riots is really just about robots"

MAH GAWD

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to disparage the video (it's quite good both as a critique of the game as well as its messages) but the best part was the clip taken from Super Best Friends.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Everything has to make a statement. I remember once upon a time when you could use something as a template simply for structural reasons. Oh well, people are clearly a lot happier than they were back in the day so it must be working.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Everything has to make a statement. I remember once upon a time when you could use something as a template simply for structural reasons.
What time period was this mystical era where artists, people who inherently respond to the things happening around them and elsewhere, were just "using a template for structural reasons." Because it sure as hell isn't the modern day or anything from the past 50 years. So you must be some sort of time traveler. Also yea, if you're gonna use loaded imagery, you have to deal with the consequences of the statements you make and/or inadvertently make.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
"To be fair....Detroit Become Human is the worst racial allegory ever."

That some quality criticism there.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good video. Though I feel so many tend to neglect the song option at the end of the game where Markus sings Hold On. It's such a laughable but equally awful moment and suddenly madam president's heart grows 3 sizes bigger that day all because of a spiritual.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
And the statement that the game might spark irl violence between people is just...hilariously stupid. Like fine, make you momey spinning hate video, but come on.

Slimboy Fat

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
What's the point of Detroit's story anyway? The game doesn't say anything new about its narrative themes nor does it handle them particularly well. To me it felt like some kind of overproduced empathy exercise. With the androids being so excessively tortured and the moral of the story so overt I had to wonder if the game wasn't actually aimed at teenagers rather than adults almost.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of Detroit's story anyway? The game doesn't say anything new about its narrative themes nor does it handle them particularly well. To me it felt like some kind of overproduced empathy exercise. With the androids being so excessively tortured and the moral of the story so overt I had to wonder if the game wasn't actually aimed at teenagers rather than adults almost.

The point is to have an interactive adventure game that some will find engaging. It isnt a manifesto.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Good video. Though I feel so many tend to neglect the song option at the end of the game where Markus sings Hold On. It's such a laughable but equally awful moment and suddenly madam president's heart grows 3 sizes bigger that day all because of a spiritual.

Only if public opinion is high enough, otherwise it stays "fuck the robots".

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The point is to have an interactive adventure game that some will find engaging. It isnt a manifesto.
Then maybe you shouldn't make an adventure game around for patronizing to people of color and people in general who experience various types of prejudice along with profiting off of it that doesn't actually serve to help them in any regard and actively does the opposite

N7_Angel

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2018
And that's ok... it's a video game, and a good one, it's not some kind of documentary that tackle more than what the genre already talked about, it's funny that everyone wants to prove something with Cage game when 99% of games have worst or equal story in the industry.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Having beaten Detroit, I would say that serious stories are not Mr. Cage's particular forte. He should either go full insane like in Fahrenheit or go all out with the gore/sex like in Heavy Rain. Anytime he tries to tell a message, it's going to get muddled.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
And that's ok... it's a video game, and a good one, it's not some kind of documentary that tackle more than what the genre already talked about, it's funny that everyone wants to prove something with Cage game when 99% of games have worst or equal story in the industry.
Its not a good video game, and if its tackling subjects that I experience in my day to day because the color of my skin poorly, I and others will shit on it.

I'm not a fucking robot

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Then maybe you shouldn't make an adventure game around for patronizing to people of color and people in general who experience various types of prejudice along with profiting off of it that doesn't actually serve to help them in any regard and actively does the opposite

As a person of color it didn't bother me. I found the Markus marching stuff lame but other than that his part of the story was whatever. He was my least favorite and I didn't even like him til the end which made me retroactively like the stuff proceeding it. I loved Connor and Kara's stories from the jump though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"The worst game that David Cage has ever written"

Man that's a mighty big claim, considering the man's track record.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
"What if black people, But machines?"

I made this reference in the David Cage interview thread and people jumped all over me for it. Dude couldn't write more on the nose even if he tried. The only part of the story I liked was Connor and Hank and that's because Connor's actor improvised a lot of his scenes, which Cage apparently hated and wanted to take out. Should say something about the man's writing.

Dec 2, 2017
To quote Edge's review

'David Cage has never been a model of subtlety, but here he wields allegory with a similar grace and lightness of touch to which leatherface uses power tools'

Plum

May 31, 2018

99% of other stories don't opt to heavily use civil rights and slavery imagery (alongside imagery from other historical atrocities), and most games don't put their story front-and-centre like Detroit does with its one. People looking at it as more than just a meaningless video-game doesn't mean there's some anti-Cage conspiracy afoot, it just means they're holding it to a level that the game clearly wants to be held to.

Oct 25, 2017
David Cage games are just about story so the story being bad is kind of noteworthy

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is aimed at mass market lowest common denominator, which is always like you describe. Think of it like the umpteenth serial TV crime drama, they're completely on the nose and predictable within the first 5 minutes, but a lot of people watch and enjoy that stuff. All of Cage's stories fit that bill, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I will say, as a black person, I wish people would stop telling me I should be offended by things. Nothing in the story offended me, the march made me roll my eyes in the beginning but I enjoyed the end of that. There are parallels to racism of blacks in America but those parallels didn't detract nor enhance the story for me.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I also wish people would play the game instead of watching a video and seeing a screenshot to dismiss the game outright.

Edit: DP, smh.