• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how some of the other folks who were defending it in the Sony first party thread haven't shown up. Guess it's harder when it's not me alone anymore against an insulated thread.

I mean, over a million of players are enjoying it, that everyone in the OT that bought the game and beat it, has loved it, and the absolute blind hatred towards Cage and anything QD makes has been going on for years and to an unprecedented level in the past months. The Detroit release has been insufferable here.
This completely pushed most of the "Cage defense force" people to just not bother arguing in those dog piling threads any longer.

Didn't see you in the OT, guess you weren't interested in actual discussions.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I just want to tell you about this book i read called" Animal Farm" , a charming yarn about animals. on a farm . A story about animals on a farm, and nothing more .
Now some may say , hey man - the way the pigs act in this story, their hyporecy, it must means something, but to which i say - nah dudes, they are just pigs being pigs, they are not human .

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, over a million of players are enjoying it, that everyone in the OT that bought the game and beat it, has loved it, and the absolute blind hatred towards Cage and anything QD makes has been going on for years and to an unprecedented level in the past months. The Detroit release has been insufferable here.
This completely pushed most of the "Cage defense force" people to just not bother arguing in those dog piling threads any longer.

Didn't see you in the OT, guess you weren't interested in actual discussions.

Played the game late, so I missed out on most of the the OT. Discussed it a bit in the Sony first party thread though, which is how I'm assuming the OT would've gone as well for me.

Funny you accuse me of not wanting an actual discussion after excusing Cage and the game in the way you just did. Great tactic, bravo!

At any time you feel like having a discussion, feel free to watch the video and actually respond rather pull a bullshit ass "blind hatred" card. It's a tired dumb nonsensical point and you're not fooling anyone except other die hard Cage fans.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Don't have a video that's all narration and play a song with vocals singing constantly in the background (even if faux vocals). Don't start a critique by admitting bias, don't continue and say it's the "worst ____ ever" and don't end it with "just stop making games" especially if the critique boils down to a lack of nuance.

Detroit is a super ham fisted story that steals heavily from American civil rights and German holocaust imagery, & themes. I don't care what Cage says. You set the story in Detroit, have an underground railroad and lead a march to freedom you're talking about American slavery. Having said that It's still a pretty great game where choices have wildly varied outcomes. The acting is great, a lot of the scenes are well done. It's a lot like AMC's Humans. Heck the show's main bot characters are: 1) house maid, 2) resistance leader, 3) sex bot, & 4) robot cop with human partner. Hmmm lol

Mar 17, 2018
Don't have a video that's all narration and play a song with vocals singing constantly in the background (even if faux vocals). Don't start a critique by admitting bias, don't continue and say it's the "worst ____ ever" and don't end it with "just stop making games" especially if the critique boils down to a lack of nuance.

Detroit is a super ham fisted story that steals heavily from American civil rights and German holocaust imagery, & themes. I don't care what Cage says. You set the story in Detroit, have an underground railroad and lead a march to freedom you're talking about American slavery. Having said that It's still a pretty great game where choices have wildly varied outcomes. The acting is great, a lot of the scenes are well done. It's a lot like AMC's Humans. Heck the show's main bot characters are: 1) house maid, 2) resistance leader, 3) sex bot, & 4) robot cop with human partner. Hmmm lol
This post sums all anyone needs to know about game and video. The end. :)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Played the game late, so I missed out on most of the the OT. Discussed it a bit in the Sony first party thread though, which is how I'm assuming the OT would've gone as well for me.

Funny you accuse me of not wanting an actual discussion after excusing Cage and the game in the way you just did. Great tactic, bravo!

At any time you feel like having a discussion, feel free to watch the video and actually respond rather pull a bullshit ass "blind hatred" card. It's a tired dumb nonsensical point and you're not fooling anyone except other die hard Cage fans.

Find me one exemple in the OT where anyone was ganged up against. Go ahead. Or you can make shit up if you want, that's fine too.

Everyone has always been glad to have discussion about the game, positive or negative, nobody has attacked anyone there, and everyone was welcome. If you had genuine questions or things you wanted to talk about, it would have been nice to have you there. But it does seem like you were more concerned about just shitting on the game. So yeah.

Also I did accuse you, but I was also explaining and giving more context to a thing you said. I wasn't planning to debate on this topic.
I am now convinced of your ABSOLUTE bad faith, since you dared to call the "blind hatred" a bullshit argument, when it was really obvious ? And that doesn't mean any negativity was non legitimate. It means there was a ton of it that wasn't and was either confirmation bias or pure shit posting and circle jerking. This has gone on for months. There's no fooling.

But ok I did watch the video. It wasn't enjoyable, his tone made it hard to go through it. Anyway here are my thoughts.

- "David Cage is a hack and can't direct actors or write competent scenes" "actors are shit besides connor and hank" Millions of players loved his characters, many have praised the acting of pretty much every character, the scene directing and cinematography is also recognized by THE VAST MAJORITY as highly competent for the most part, I'll get back to the writing later as it's its own big chunk

- He keeps implying that any lack of subtlety in the narration regarding the main themes equals a terrible game, as if the characters, choices, consequences, interactions and evolution of relationships, all thanks to the players' actions, are not part of the narration.

- Using the Kotaku (uhum) interview to keep shitting on Cage despite the many other interviews he gave to clarify his statements, some of which the author of the video DID include but decided to make fun of and then kept ignoring cause it didn't fit his narrative. Ok then. Cage has stated many times all the parallels are intentional and are echos of the past. The story he chose to tell wasn't just "robots", this is an over simplification of what he said. I didn't search for the Kotaku interview but considering I read his answer to the question "what is the game about" from multiple other outlets, either he did not want to spend any time with kotaku, either the interview was cut short, or twisted. The author knew that and didn't care.

- All the Canada stuff is the author not paying attention to what's said and shown in the game. The state of Androids in Canada is touched upon multiple times. And of course a canadian guard would be influenced by what's happening in America, why not ???

- He goes on saying a white person kinda has no legitimacy writing black people, which I don't agree on, and also ignores multiple writers have participated on the game, not just Cage. The game takes place in 2038, none of those humans he's talking about have even SEEN human slavery, they've only read about it, heard about it. The fact that some of the humans of that era relate with Androids isn't a bad thing to me.

- He spends a whole lot of time saying how Androids look like humans as if that was a bad thing then acknowledges discrimination happen to people that "look just like you" anyway.

- What the androids "feel", whether it's genuine or not, is down to the player. You decide.

- Most of the deviancy case that led to murder, were preceded by intense act of violence towards the android. That's... the entire point of Connor, he investigates crimes, so of course you see crimes...

- Kamski is NOT the god figure ???? It's stated what they see as their god figure is the first android that broke free (and possibly infected the others). How Connor sees his creator is entirely up to the player. And what Kamski says last is about Connor's failsafe not... anything else.

- The androids are known by humans to be superior, so their act of pacifism is why it's powerful. The fact they also demonstrated "emotions" when they thought they were going to die is another proof that they were not faking it the whole time. So humans did react to that. Not sure what's the problem here, I thought it was an effective scene. Maybe you can hate this ending for being too naive, but like.... whatever.

- "the public opinion doesn't affect anything except literally Kara and Markus' fate"

- He says you don't get to experience the trials and situations the characters go through because of how the game is designed..... and there's nothing to argue about, I think he's completely wrong and many people I'm sure will disagree with what he said. Like, we played the game, I honestly don't know what to say, Detroit made me feel stuff I haven't felt in a long time, and also put me in unique situations, and always made me feel like I had control, so I have no idea what's even trying to do here.

" Maybe they shouldn't have made a game lulz" "maybe David Cage should stop making games entirely lulz" yeah K,

you have to realize that a lot of people did love the game. We're not talking 4 people here, we're talking thousands and thousands. Cage wasn't the only writer on this, hundreds of people have worked on the game on many levels, there is such a lack of respect going on it's really hard to see any value there. Anything can be terrible if your judgement is already clouded by negativity. Many people have loved the character interactions, several people have even cried in a scene or two, you have HUNDREDS of testimonies, in the OT, on twitter, clearly the way he writes can't be all that awful, even if you think he made a very straightforward story with unsubtle allegories, that doesn't mean the characters and the situations didn't work for people. Personally I thought Markus' story was really bad except at the end, but Connor and Kara ? Loved them.

It's a long game, not everything works, not everything is perfect, but the majority of the content did end up great for me and many people.

- "Humans don't join the androids" dude it's been ONE DAY in the story at this point. And the mass population is very confused as to what's happening. As for humans before that point, you do see some humans that sympathize with androids. He does cite them and them brushes them off as if it didn't matter while they're interacting with the main characters......

- Markus' dialogue about humans is, again, shaped by the player. It is what you want.

- The obscure ending is a "twist" that is contradicted by all the other endings (and it's one of the rare endings that does get contradicted while the others just add more elements to the overall story), there can be multiple explanations for it though (that are actually fun, but I feel like it's another discussion that should be had in the OT). It's an ending seen by like 5% of people and not sure why he took it so seriously, it was obviously meant as a "dark stinger" . If it bothers you that much just tell yourself it's one of the shortcomings of the having so many endings. Big whoop.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hey guys I just want to tell you about this book i read called" Animal Farm" , a charming yarn about animals. on a farm . A story about animals on a farm, and nothing more .
Now some may say , hey man - the way the pigs act in this story, their hyporecy, it must means something, but to which i say - nah dudes, they are just pigs being pigs, they are not human .

You're acting as if Cage is using this game as a deliberate insult towards black people or something.

Also it's hard to demand for a conversation with constructive criticism where the video where it's all based about already kill the tone suitable for that. I mean, "just stop making games?" And yet 'constructive criticism' is supposed to be thing we're doing here?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a surprise that David Cage would completely trip on this sort of thing, the man doesn't know how to write his way out of a paper bag. The guy has hints of something interesting but then he just goes up his own ass every time with no self-awareness of how ridiculous or predictable his writing can be. What a hack.

Oh well, his material is good for a laugh, at least.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Is it just me or is Conner the only playable character that actually comes across as a robot in the beginning?

The other two characters are just so human in their behavior, subservient workers than actual logic machines.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Conner is pretty great, yeah. He has an actual arc.

It's a funny thing- Conner has all the behavior of an actual robot but somehow that makes him more... Endearing? I'm not quite sure why but both Marcus and Kara display more human-like qualities in more mundane situations but I like them less... At least in the very early stage of the story.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I think the video really hits the nail on the head, but the comedic jabs do the rest of the video a disservice. "Stop making games" is kinda silly.

Browsing through this thread with a cup of tea, and something stood out. The "Context matters, they're androids" people seem to be ignoring the existence of allegory and subtext.

Do you guys think that The Witcher's Elves (or 96% of all fantasy franchise Elves) aren't allegorical to anything? Really???
"They're just a race in a fantasy land that are oppressed because they have pointy ears! This is a story about Elves and nothing more!"

Oct 25, 2017
Find me one exemple in the OT where anyone was ganged up against. Go ahead. Or you can make shit up if you want, that's fine too.

Everyone has always been glad to have discussion about the game, positive or negative, nobody has attacked anyone there, and everyone was welcome. If you had genuine questions or things you wanted to talk about, it would have been nice to have you there. But it does seem like you were more concerned about just shitting on the game. So yeah.

Also I did accuse you, but I was also explaining and giving more context to a thing you said. I wasn't planning to debate on this topic.
I am now convinced of your ABSOLUTE bad faith, since you dared to call the "blind hatred" a bullshit argument, when it was really obvious ? And that doesn't mean any negativity was non legitimate. It means there was a ton of it that wasn't and was either confirmation bias or pure shit posting and circle jerking. This has gone on for months. There's no fooling.

But ok I did watch the video. It wasn't enjoyable, his tone made it hard to go through it. Anyway here are my thoughts.

- "David Cage is a hack and can't direct actors or write competent scenes" "actors are shit besides connor and hank" Millions of players loved his characters, many have praised the acting of pretty much every character, the scene directing and cinematography is also recognized by THE VAST MAJORITY as highly competent for the most part, I'll get back to the writing later as it's its own big chunk

- He keeps implying that any lack of subtlety in the narration regarding the main themes equals a terrible game, as if the characters, choices, consequences, interactions and evolution of relationships, all thanks to the players' actions, are not part of the narration.

- Using the Kotaku (uhum) interview to keep shitting on Cage despite the many other interviews he gave to clarify his statements, some of which the author of the video DID include but decided to make fun of and then kept ignoring cause it didn't fit his narrative. Ok then. Cage has stated many times all the parallels are intentional and are echos of the past. The story he chose to tell wasn't just "robots", this is an over simplification of what he said. I didn't search for the Kotaku interview but considering I read his answer to the question "what is the game about" from multiple other outlets, either he did not want to spend any time with kotaku, either the interview was cut short, or twisted. The author knew that and didn't care.

- All the Canada stuff is the author not paying attention to what's said and shown in the game. The state of Androids in Canada is touched upon multiple times. And of course a canadian guard would be influenced by what's happening in America, why not ???

- He goes on saying a white person kinda has no legitimacy writing black people, which I don't agree on, and also ignores multiple writers have participated on the game, not just Cage. The game takes place in 2038, none of those humans he's talking about have even SEEN human slavery, they've only read about it, heard about it. The fact that some of the humans of that era relate with Androids isn't a bad thing to me.

- He spends a whole lot of time saying how Androids look like humans as if that was a bad thing then acknowledges discrimination happen to people that "look just like you" anyway.

- What the androids "feel", whether it's genuine or not, is down to the player. You decide.

- Most of the deviancy case that led to murder, were preceded by intense act of violence towards the android. That's... the entire point of Connor, he investigates crimes, so of course you see crimes...

- Kamski is NOT the god figure ???? It's stated what they see as their god figure is the first android that broke free (and possibly infected the others). How Connor sees his creator is entirely up to the player. And what Kamski says last is about Connor's failsafe not... anything else.

- The androids are known by humans to be superior, so their act of pacifism is why it's powerful. The fact they also demonstrated "emotions" when they thought they were going to die is another proof that they were not faking it the whole time. So humans did react to that. Not sure what's the problem here, I thought it was an effective scene. Maybe you can hate this ending for being too naive, but like.... whatever.

- "the public opinion doesn't affect anything except literally Kara and Markus' fate"

- He says you don't get to experience the trials and situations the characters go through because of how the game is designed..... and there's nothing to argue about, I think he's completely wrong and many people I'm sure will disagree with what he said. Like, we played the game, I honestly don't know what to say, Detroit made me feel stuff I haven't felt in a long time, and also put me in unique situations, and always made me feel like I had control, so I have no idea what's even trying to do here.

" Maybe they shouldn't have made a game lulz" "maybe David Cage should stop making games entirely lulz" yeah K,

you have to realize that a lot of people did love the game. We're not talking 4 people here, we're talking thousands and thousands. Cage wasn't the only writer on this, hundreds of people have worked on the game on many levels, there is such a lack of respect going on it's really hard to see any value there. Anything can be terrible if your judgement is already clouded by negativity. Many people have loved the character interactions, several people have even cried in a scene or two, you have HUNDREDS of testimonies, in the OT, on twitter, clearly the way he writes can't be all that awful, even if you think he made a very straightforward story with unsubtle allegories, that doesn't mean the characters and the situations didn't work for people. Personally I thought Markus' story was really bad except at the end, but Connor and Kara ? Loved them.

It's a long game, not everything works, not everything is perfect, but the majority of the content did end up great for me and many people.

- "Humans don't join the androids" dude it's been ONE DAY in the story at this point. And the mass population is very confused as to what's happening. As for humans before that point, you do see some humans that sympathize with androids. He does cite them and them brushes them off as if it didn't matter while they're interacting with the main characters......

- Markus' dialogue about humans is, again, shaped by the player. It is what you want.

- The obscure ending is a "twist" that is contradicted by all the other endings (and it's one of the rare endings that does get contradicted while the others just add more elements to the overall story), there can be multiple explanations for it though (that are actually fun, but I feel like it's another discussion that should be had in the OT). It's an ending seen by like 5% of people and not sure why he took it so seriously, it was obviously meant as a "dark stinger" . If it bothers you that much just tell yourself it's one of the shortcomings of the having so many endings. Big whoop.

Whew, what a bunch of BS to unpack.

First, I'm not sure why you think I have to participate in the OT to come across as wanting to have genuine discussion. I discussed my opinions of it in the Sony first party thread. Not the MS one. Not the Nintendo one. The Sony one.

Second, the blind hatred argument is bullshit because it's covenient cover to hide behind. Especially since it's an accusation that gets thrown by Cage fans. "Oh no, people think a game about race might have problematic depictions coming from a guy whose had that in his past games. Must be blind hatred." What a load of nonsense. That you say that and then accuse me not wanting to discuss in good faith is laughable. See point one.

Now, from reading your posts, I get the general impression that you misinterpreted a lot of his video. So l'm going to respond to some points and ask you to clarify others.

- Canada. Could you explain to me the state of Canadian law in this game with regards to Androids?

- He talks about a lack of subtley and also how terribly the themes are presented and how problematic they can be. Choice, consequences and player actions are part or the narrative but they are based around the main premise, story and themes of the game. A game does not escape problematic stereotypes and portrayal of other issues just because it has other components. That's sorta the point of the video.

- I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make with the Kotaku bit. The video shows that Cage wanted his game to be political but not political. He wanted his cake but wanted to eat it too. If that's not accurate, you tell me, was the game supposed to be political or not?

- Can you point me to where he says a white person has no legitimacy writing a black person, I must've missed that bit. And the slavery bit? The video talks about racism and how it's no longer a thing in Detroits world. Are you telling me no one alive in 2038 has experienced racism? Let alone the crazy permise that racism is somehow dead.

- Androids looking like human... oh my God. You keep missing the points he's making and misinterpreting what he's saying. He's talking about how looks are often a catalyst for hate. And that when people hate those who look the same as them, it's because they've convinced themsleves those people are different on the inside. Which, unlike real people, is actually true with Detroit. It's a completely different point...

- Whether Androids feel is something the game doesn't touch upon aside from explaining it. I'm not sure what your point even is here. The game doesn't tackle that issue. Whether players decide one way or the other has no bearing on how point.

- Yes, Connor investigates deviants because of crimes. The video doesn't say otherwise. Again, you've completely misunderstood what he said. He's speaking about the human reaction to the deviancy bug.

- He doesn't call Kamsy a god figure. Watch the video again, theres a comparison being invoked with the bit about white slave owners...

- What is this entire bit about pacifism? This isn't in the video. What are you talking about? His point about pacificism is compleltely different and deals with how the game handles the narrarive choices.

- What else does public opinion effect?

- The bit about experiencing the trials is a comment about game design. You can disagree with it and he even points out that avenues in these types of games are limited to make it more of a thing.

- Not really sure what people's opinions on this game have to do with what's being addressed in this video. All those people are free to come and try to rebut the video.

- Humans not joining is the point. Public opinion and how it's presented is laughably simplistic and extremely unrealistic. He doesn't brush the supportive humans off. In fact, that completley defeats your earlier point. If there are supportive humans conducting an underground railroad, then humans should've joined.

- Players chose from preset options for Markus. It's developer presented 4 options that players pick. That doesn't address the underlying criticism at all.

- Why did he take a possible ending to a game seriously, in a game about player choice and consequence? Because it's as canon as the rest of them. Funny enough, that was my exact ending on my playthrough as well.

It's amazing to me that you watched the video and completely misinterpreted and took out of context a majority of the points he made and then you went ahead and talked about other stuff in your post.

Sabrina Rei

Oct 30, 2017
Good video. Though I feel so many tend to neglect the song option at the end of the game where Markus sings Hold On. It's such a laughable but equally awful moment and suddenly madam president's heart grows 3 sizes bigger that day all because of a spiritual.

this would be true if it were WilsonPhillipsVEVO but nawww, you gotta have the press corps ask her the right questions and have kept a mostly positive public opinion to open her heart, no?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished and I didn't have any problems with the game.

To me all this is just another overreaction the internet is full of.

The story (stories) are quite good, some more than others but overall quite good indeed. The gameplay is also more polished than Beyond was, but if you don't like QTE's then of course this game is not for you.

Overall a solid game. I'm happy it did well so we will have another QD game for the PS5

Plum

May 31, 2018

If everyone's glad then why has this thread been filled with conspiratorial rhetoric? If the OT's like any other OT out there then I doubt that this video would have recieved a much different treatment.

If you're convinced of his bad faith then report him, it's against the rules after all.

What are opinions?

If that's what he sees as one of the most important things in a highly political narrative such as Detroit's then that's perfectly fine. It's not like he's talking about the politics of Mario or Gran Turismo, he's talking about the politics about a game based around slavery set in Detroit.

Got any proof for these points?

I explained this before but what he found confusingwas that Canada would be so anti-Android yet also not regulate nor have any way of detecting illegal Android immigrants when they're in the country. For any other consumer good (what Androids are at the start of the game) the border checks and in-country checks are rigorous yet, up until the end of the game, Androids were being let in to the country like it was nothing.

Cage wrote the game, it's his name as the sole writer in the credits. Also leave off with the "no humans have seen slavery" nonsense; 2038 is 20 years from now, to act like PoC today would simply accept slavery again because they "forgot about it" in that time is ridiculous.

Did you not listen to that part of the argument? He's saying that, in real life, discrimination is based inherently in dehumanisation and the 'othering' of another people. That's done through race in most cases but it can also be done to people who look the same because, in both cases, the majority has been convinced that the minority is inherently different to themselves on the insidge. What he then says is that, in-universe, Androids are inherently different to regular humans as they are literally not 'human' until the events of the story; as such the story takes away the dehumanisation part of every single example of discrimination by making the discriminated people inherently dehu

That's a cowardly argument. If something is in the game it is legitimate to look at it even if some players won't see that ending. It's also not even true; Kara always acts like a mother toward Alice, Markus always wants to start a revolution/protest and only Connor can have his base motivations changed due to player choice; it's no coincidence that Connor's story is generally seen as the most interesting.

Most, but not all. The first time we see deviancy it's because the Android was afraid of being replaced, not because his owner started violently attacking him; he also took a little girl hostage and shot multiple cops just doing their jobs which is in no way justifiable in any possible way. A later deviant Androids shoots and kills multiple innocent people just because Connor interrogated him too much, and the same happens in the scene where Connor interrogates the murder suspect. Lets also not forget the two female Androids who, instead of simply running away, decide to hide and jump two police officers for little reason whatsoever.

A God figure and a Jesus figure are entirely different things. ra9 was clearly set up as a Jesus parallel ("He will appear and save us!"), not as the creator of Androids as Kamski literally is. Kamski also gifts Markus, his 'son' with the power to save Androids, to the world in the same way God gave Jesus to save the human race.

How would they know they're not faking it just because they're near death?

Again, you didn't listen to his argument. His issue with the public opinion system was that it takes away the essential 'ally' factor of any civil rights movement and turns it into a simple binary choice from a few individuals. It is true that, until the very end of the game and only in certain endings, the only human allied to the Android's cause is Rose who is seemingly the only black person in Detroit's version of America who remembers how her own race has been treated for all of America's history. Again, his problem isn't purely that it doesn't have too much of an effect, so I don't know why you're latching on to that minor point as if it's everything.

Again, you're not listening to his actual argument. He's arguing that, by making the good pacifist and violent endings so easy to get, the game is downplaying the actual struggle that every civil rights movement has had. You may not feel that way but the game itself turns whether the player wants to win or not into a matter of choice instead of a matter of struggle.

I agree that latter part is a bit extreme, but the former is a fine argument. If you're not willing to take into account the baggage of the imagery you use then maybe don't make a game with that imagery. It's not difficult, and stories like Blade Runner, i, Robot, etc show that it can be done whilst still keeping to the same themes.

Popularity doesn't make something good, nor does it exempt it from criticism. It's also funny how you say that "anything can be terrible if your judgement is already clouded by negativity" yet you've consistently not given the guy's argument the time of day.

You see one human sympathising with the Androids, and Hank needs to be shown how to sympathise with the Androids. Every other adult human you see up until the very end utterly hates them. And no, the existence of Rose's underground railroad kind of debunks the whole "they were caught by surprise" argument. She had been running that operation for at least a few months before Kara got there, and I find it very strange that no-one shared her sympathies, especially since her motivations stemmed entirely from how her own race was treated in the past.

If it's in the game it's in the game. See above.

How is it contracted by other endings? I've seen most of them and none seem to disprove the notion that Cyberlife never had any part to play in Markus' revolution.

As for the rest, again, see above.

I'd also like to point out how, again, all of these arguments seem to not actually address his underlying points and are instead simply nitpicks attempting to make him seem 'wrong'. Even if every single example he used was wrong, which they aren't, his point that the game uses imagery from atrocities of the past and present in a story with poor and sometimes outright harmful things to say about them is not. You may not agree, but explain why with an argument that isn't just either "well actually" or "it's popular!"[/QUOTE]

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man just the concept of having a racial allegory with robots is flawed as hell. David Cage doesnt know how to write.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
To me, the worst part of the game were the
Marcus
scenes. Overly preachy, thinly plotted, poorly paced and cringe-worthy dialogue that is intended to produce emotion that it doesn't... just a bad character. I loved the other 2 story lines, but just did not like the way this part of the game was written (and, it is supposed to be the catalyst for the rest of the stories that the game is telling!)

Jan 1, 2018
The issue is more constructive criticism than anything else. This guy's opinion isn't a standard. People can feel differently on many topics. Everyone wants Cage to be some kind of high-tier novelist it seems. It's not going to happen, and almost no other writer in the industry is held to this revealing of light. Writing in general in games has just crossed the b-tier in the better games. We have a long way to go. Detroit doesn't always succeed, but it certainly has its moments.

Criticism doesn't need to be popular opinion. Popular opinion is not criticism. Criticism is breaking down a work into its parts and explaining why they do or do not improve the whole of the work. This video is breaking down the racially charged portion of Detroit: Become Human, which unless I'm mistaken appears to be the majority of the game. This video is criticizing how poorly this aspect of the game is being executed. None of this requires the popular opinion of the game to be negative, and, while it's clear that Geoff doesn't like Detroit: Become Humans - or anything from Cage for that matter -, one does not need to have a negative opinion of this game or a negative opinion of this aspect of it to criticize it or its execution.

One can like something and still think it could be done better.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like Cage. He's an awful writer and I've been very vocal about it on numerous occasions in the past. LOL.

I took the reference 'We have a dream' as an answer to the question 'Do androids dream of electric sheep'. But that can't be it can it now ... Of course not.
This is one of the most embarrassing things I've read on ERA.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the story a lot. One of my favorite games of this generation.

Yeah, while not the 'citizen kane' of gaming, I had a great time with the game. Simple mechanics, Cage's best written story and characters so far (even if it takes obvious inspiration from real world events, which .. not as big of an issue as some here are making it .. most stories are derived from other inspirations), fantastic audio visual experience, some of the best visuals in a video game on any platform so far.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were really laying it on thick.

Forcing androids to stand at the back of the bus made perfect sense. They don't tire or ache, so bundling them all together to make room for people who actually get a benefit out of sitting down is only right. It's no different from having a section for people's wheelchairs and whatnot, and even if the wheelchairs became sentient I wouldn't expect them to complain about it.

But what possible reason could there be to build a staircase next to an escalator and force androids to use that instead? I actually laughed out loud when I saw it because it was so ridiculous.

And there were all those NO ANDROID signs posted on businesses. Sure, androids don't need to drink so going into a bar would needlessly take up space, but I'm struggling to think of a reason why a hotel wouldn't allow one to follow into a customer's rented room.

Plus it doesn't really help that Markus seemed more like he was taking over other androids by forcing his own experiences into them rather than them actually seeming like they wanted to be free. I never got the sense that it was a genuine android uprising, but rather Markus and his friends uprising using their stolen army of mindless followers.

Markus himself certainly wouldn't have abandoned Carl had someone woken him up before the events of the story, but every other android was ready to abandon their family, duty or job almost immediately after coming into contact with Markus' malware.

Everything involving Markus was kind of poor though. If it weren't for Connor and Hank I don't think I would've cared much for the game.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
They were really laying it on thick.

Forcing androids to stand at the back of the bus made perfect sense. They don't tire or ache, so bundling them all together to make room for people who actually get a benefit out of sitting down is only right. It's no different from having a section for people's wheelchairs and whatnot, and even if the wheelchairs became sentient I wouldn't expect them to complain about it.

I think the point of mentioning that is due to the fact that black people used to be forced to sit at the back of the bus, not whether or not it is efficient. Using any other method would help avoid the whole "comparing black people to something literally inhuman" thing.

Mar 17, 2018
Criticism doesn't need to be popular opinion. Popular opinion is not criticism. Criticism is breaking down a work into its parts and explaining why they do or do not improve the whole of the work. This video is breaking down the racially charged portion of Detroit: Become Human, which unless I'm mistaken appears to be the majority of the game. This video is criticizing how poorly this aspect of the game is being executed. None of this requires the popular opinion of the game to be negative, and, while it's clear that Geoff doesn't like Detroit: Become Humans - or anything from Cage for that matter -, one does not need to have a negative opinion of this game or a negative opinion of this aspect of it to criticize it or its execution.

One can like something and still think it could be done better.
That's fine. It has nothing to do with my post, which has to do with constructive criticism... which this video is not. People need to stop trying to defend the blatant bias and cynical attitude of this video. It's pointless. This guy set out to prove his point before he knew what was going on. His bias makes this take almost completely one sided. I'm not sure what popular opinion has to do with anything. Also, why are you explaining to me what criticism is? I'm a top English grad in my 30s... you can drop the attitude like you are talking to a teen anytime.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018
You act like a teen half the time, not sure why you expect people to not treat you like one

Not that I expect much more from someone who chose the name potentialtodisplease for themselves
Yeah, so much logic here. Your entire post was completely incoherent within the context of my post. I still have no idea what you were trying to say. And I don't care. Have a nice day.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, so much logic here. Your entire post was completely incoherent within the context of my post. I still have no idea what you were trying to say. And I don't care. Have a nice day.

Most of your posts in this thread make you seem like a teenager throwing a tantrum. This is why people in this thread treat you like a teenager throwing a tantrum. Hope that's adequately coherent for you, Mr. top English grad in their 30s.

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. It has nothing to do with my post, which has to do with constructive criticism... which this video is not. People need to stop trying to defend the blatant bias and cynical attitude of this video. It's pointless. This guy set out to prove his point before he knew what was going on. His bias makes this take almost completely one sided. I'm not sure what popular opinion has to do with anything. Also, why are you explaining to me what criticism is? I'm a top English grad in my 30s... you can drop the attitude like you are talking to a teen anytime.

Have you even watched the video yet? Or is it still the first few minutes and you're back here complaining about it?

Feel free to address the videos arguments anytime.

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
The guy has never written a good game so I don't know why that's a bad thing.

The only defense I'll give him is that he has good ideas for interactive narrative fiction and his "game over is a failure of game design" statement is woefully taken out of context.
IMO he has interesting concepts even if they don't have the greatest execution. like Beyond Two Souls, a story about a girl born with a ghost entity connected to her is interesting (i can see that as a drama on the CW or a comic, also it could make a great Carrie moment). also compared to telltale & Life is strange David cages games are more movie-like (Until Dawn as well) which i like

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played D:BH, but from the brief playthrough footage I watched, the story indeed felt bafflingly awful and cringey and an example of why I think games should aim for having more universal themes instead of more political ones.

Last edited:

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Wow he's really going there.

But 100% deserved. The reason Cage is still somewhat celebrated in the industry goes to show how far gaming still have to go.

Mar 17, 2018
Wow he's really going there.

But 100% deserved. The reason Cage is still somewhat celebrated in the industry goes to show how far gaming still have to go.
Indeed, which is why the next 5 to 10 will be awesome for us writers. No one said this dude is great, but he's still better than a lot of crap out there. It is what it is. Opportunity. More people should get into writing. But not all of Detroit is bad either.