• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
David Cage's concept for this game is far far more compelling in the Mass Effect universe i.e. the Geth - Quarian conflict

A lot of these critics seemed to have a very biased vendetta against Cage, I'd rather wait for Noah Caldwell-Gervais' analysis

You think Noah Caldwell-Gervais would 1) decide to review a console game and 2) agree with you? Have you not watched his videos? He's incredibly liberal and fills his videos with in-depth analysis of what imagery in gaming actually means.

Yes, wrong word. I never saw the android as black though, I saw him as an android.

But other people saw him as black... because he was black. The constant references to civil right, slavery and racial profiling don't help either; it's kind of hard to "not see race" when the game reminds you of it in practically every other scene.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
The only thing Mass Effect 3 really bungled was the ending, 90% of the storytelling is great. There's a reason the game is still talked about today, because the rest was so good that the ending being a big let down hurts so much more.
I didn't mind the ending at all. The only part of Mass Effect 3 that I liked was launch DLC. Everything else was sort of tacked on/implied in ME2. All new characters were worse than ME:A characters. I replayed the whole trilogy at least 3 times and ME 3 still disappoints every single time.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the game has a lot of real world parallels and isn't subtle about them at all, but I don't understand why that's a problem or why it makes the story bad.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
This is about machines and how humanity would be threatened if they achieved sentience. It's something Blade runner explored and The Terminator. I don't see it as allegorical at all, just the age old question mankind has been asking itself since technology improved and AI became common place. It has to be framed in some way and there has to be ways of manifesting the separation. Drawing on past events to find the framing isn't the same as an allegorical tale. And a lot of what I saw in the Let's Play I watched were logical expressions of separation. Where would you put machines on a bus for instance? Near the exit? Why would you put them near the exit? If there was a fire or crash, you'd want the humans to be free to leave, the machines are of no importance. They can be replaced. There are many logical explanations like that.

But this isn't about a dialectic, is it, it's about winning.
Detoit is a story about android civil rights that draws heavily on the real worlds past and present topics about race. As a result it set sitself up to be an allegorical tale. And Detroit makes the conscious decision to draw on those rather than something like Blade Runner or BR:2049 is what does that. If it handles a sensitive topic like race relation poorly then it's going to get critiqued for it.

And as far as the android being built with different skin tones the idea of androids representing an underclass or minority group is pretty normal in the genre. Look at Blade Runner: 2049 as an example. The idea of what does it mean to be human, from a robots perspective, in a world where you are basically a slave is one of the threads in the film.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've watched bits of the game but I'm not familiar with this Luther scene you guys are talking about, can someone link it?

Here you go!

But, for a quick plot summary of the scene. The two main characters of that story go to a guy's house to help escape Detroit. In that house is a creepy fat white guy (an archetype this game loves to use) and a big black android called Luther. On meeting Luther the two main characters get scared despite him only wanting to take their coats. The creepy fat white guy then tricks (well, not tricks because you have no choice in the matter and it's incredibly obvious) the main character to come into his creepy dungeon so he can erase her memory. She gets free and the rest of the scene has her escaping from the creepy fat white guy and the android, all with shots of said android that could be ripped straight out of a horror film. In most player's endings to that scene they escape and the creepy fat white guy meets the same fate as Sid from Toy Story except lethal this time.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
But other people saw him as black... because he was black. The constant references to civil right, slavery and racial profiling don't help either; it's kind of hard to "not see race" when the game reminds you of it in practically every other scene.

So all the other androids that weren't black are not allegorical? Are you not understanding what I'm saying here? On one hand you're saying the whole thing is allegorical but then you single out a black man in particular to demonstrate it's allegorical. You saw the android as black, I saw the android as an android.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
The best part about the games racial allegories was, when the Androids weren't just standins for black people during the time of slavery in the U.S, but also for jewish ones during the holocaust with actual concentration camps, "recycling" chambers and mass graves.

"David Cage's Auschwitz" is something i never knew i wanted and now with certainty know i never wanted.

May god bless David De Gruttola Cage
That whole scene makes no sense. They can just reset them and they'd be back to no sentience. Instead they hold them at gunpoint just to herd them into kill boxes.

Doesn't even get into the notion that the ccompany planned to make this happen all along but huh? As far as evil corporations go they are stunningly incompetent.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here you go!

But, for a quick plot summary of the scene. The two main characters of that story go to a guy's house to help escape Detroit. In that house is a creepy fat white guy (an archetype this game loves to use) and a big black android called Luther. On meeting Luther the two main characters get scared despite him only wanting to take their coats. The creepy fat white guy then tricks (well, not tricks because you have no choice in the matter and it's incredibly obvious) the main character to come into his creepy dungeon so he can erase her memory. She gets free and the rest of the scene has her escaping from the creepy fat white guy and the android, all with shots of said android that could be ripped straight out of a horror film. In most player's endings to that scene they escape and the creepy fat white guy meets the same fate as Sid from Toy Story except lethal this time.
That entire chapter still makes me think of Scooby Doo. It freakin' opens walking down the street on a rainy night and they come up to a big spooky mansion owned by a creepy guy.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
That whole scene makes no sense. They can just reset them and they'd be back to no sentience. Instead they hold them at gunpoint just to herd them into kill boxes.

Doesn't even get into the notion that the consumer planned to make this happen all along but huh? As far as evil corporations go they are stunningly incompetent.
Something on David Cage game doesn't make sense!!! Color me surprised! :) Sure there are huge plot holes in the game. And story shortcuts that draw from history, but that doesn't mean that the game can't be enjoyable. It's more consistent than 90% of "choose your own story" games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't even get into the notion that the consumer planned to make this happen all along but huh? As far as evil corporations go they are stunningly incompetent.
Yeah the whole dumping grounds and the holocaust bits are very dumb. Also why throw it all away? There would be a load of usable parts from these androids that could replace old parts or even repurpose them for other things. It's just billions and billions of wasted dollars. Cage's entire economy of Detroit doesn't make sense to me.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
AHAHAHA, no.

This one scene from Mass Effect 3 has more depth and emotion than anything Cage has written:

You folks need to revise your grammar. I said Mass Effect was far superior. The Cage concept was done far better in Mass Effect. Not THAN

The game has an above average meta score so no stop trying to perpetuate this bs. Fact is that if release something with the intention of it having deep philosophical meaning than expect criticism around the various aspects of the story.

I only say that because some people say stuff like, "He should stop making games" which seems more like a personal issue

You think Noah Caldwell-Gervais would 1) decide to review a console game and 2) agree with you? Have you not watched his videos? He's incredibly liberal and fills his videos with in-depth analysis of what imagery in gaming actually means.

1) I forgot Noah doesn't do console games but could always watch the plot on YouTube
2) Precisely the reason I expect him to give a nuanced and unbiased critique

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why is it not ok to use allegory and draw from real life slavery/civil rights movements for stories, as long as you're doing it in a respectful way and not as a means to dismiss it/make fun of it? Why does the game need to explain in detail the reasons behind using such things as a framing device? I mean the entire point is that the androids are oppressed and treated as slaves, it makes logical sense then that there would be parallels between the real world civil rights movement, just like there were parallels between the Women's Rights movement and African Americans civil rights movement.

Did people get up in arms over I, Robot, Blade Runner, The Matrix, etc for doing those things also?

Having androids becoming sentient and then coming to terms with that isn't some new thing, it's been in numerous other sci-fi works, from books, movies, games, etc. Sure it was heavy handed in Detroit and not subtle, but it didn't come off like he was making fun of it or anything in the least.

Watch the video to see an explanation for why it's not done in a respectful way. Nobody's saying that allegory and such cannot be used, but when you use them you must take great, great care to pay respect to them (respect here not meaning "they don't actively dismiss it") as by using them you automatically say something about them. The video explains what messages Detroit is telling when it uses its imagery. Doing direct allegory correctly is a very hard thing to pull off effectively, especially when it comes to serious dramas like Detroit (it's why, for example, the fascism overtones in Star Wars aren't criticised that heavily) and especially when the medium you decide to tell your story in requires the player to 'win' in order to feel satisfied.

And no, people didn't get up in arms over those other pieces of media because they don't use the imagery Detroit uses. Blade Runner, for example, adeptly removes much of the direct slavery overtones Detroit has by making the story about empathy, memory and identity instead; it's about androids rising up from slavery, yes, but it's not about androids rising up from slavery. What you're getting wrong here is that nobody's saying that looking at the moral quandaries of Androids is a bad thing to do, they're saying that doing so whilst directly referencing real-life civil rights atrocities is insensitive and tone deaf.

So all the other androids that weren't black are not allegorical? Are you not understanding what I'm saying here? On one hand you're saying the whole thing is allegorical but then you single out a black man in particular to demonstrate it's allegorical. You saw the android as black, I saw the android as an android.

Different elements of a story can be allegorical to different elements of real life, you don't suddenly stop the allegories when you've decided to use one. In context, just because other androids aren't black does not erase the fact that the biggest example of direct racial profiling (as in, being profiled as a criminal despite being completely innocent) is in Markus' story.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That entire chapter still makes me think of Scooby Doo. It freakin' opens walking down the street on a rainy night and they come up to a big spooky mansion owned by a creepy guy.

*Kara pulls off the monster's mask*

Kara: "Gasp! Old Man Zlatko! You were behind this all along."

Luther: "Like, zoinks, Alice."

Zlatko: "Darn! I would have gotten away with my creepy-but-totally-not-in-a-sexual-way experiments if it weren't for you meddling androids!"

1) I forgot Noah doesn't do console games but could always watch the plot on YouTube
2) Precisely the reason I expect him to give a nuanced and unbiased critique

Why would he watch the plot on Youtube if he wants to maintain at least some level of professionalism in his work? Detroit's gameplay is very light but it's still very much a game.

And no, leave off with this "unbiased opinion" nonsense. It's dismissive at best and outright conspiratorial at worst. Nobody criticising Detroit's use of racial allegory in long well-written and well-backed up videos like this one is doing so because of some irrational hatred for David Cage; they might not like the guy, yes, but their opinions on the game itself are still very much 'nuanced and unbiased'. You're essentially saying that unless it comes from a few specific people an opinion means nothing no matter how well it's backed up or how well you can bring it down.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Different elements of a story can be allegorical to different elements of real life, you don't suddenly stop the allegories when you've decided to use one. In context, just because other androids aren't black does not erase the fact that the biggest example of direct racial profiling (as in, being profiled as a criminal despite being completely innocent) is in Markus' story.

No, fella, the woman and the girl weren't afraid of the android because he was black, they were afraid of him because he was huge and lacked emotion. They trusted him once he'd shown he wasn't unemotional. You are seeing the colour, not me and not them.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
No, fella, the woman and the girl weren't afraid of the android because he was black, they were afraid of him because he was huge and lacked emotion. They trusted him once he'd shown he wasn't unemotional. You are seeing the colour, not me and not them.
this is wrong, the camera/direction treats Luther as a large and frightening black man to set up a trope later in the scene

This 'color-blind' talk is ignoring this.

Plum

May 31, 2018

You're arguing against one thing when everyone else is saying another.

No-one is saying that, in-game, Kara and Alice were scared of Luther solely because he was black.
Everyone is saying, however, that Quantic Dream chose to cast a big black man in that role and also chose to give those characters a scared reaction in order to bring tension into the scene.

Just because something makes sense in-universe does not mean it can't be criticised. Your argument is essentially the equivalent to "Oh, well of course Quiet needs to be half-naked, she breaths through her skin!"

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Here you go!

Thanks for the link and summary.

I think most people would be a little wary of what must be a 7 foot tall, 250lb android especially someone like Kara who comes off as quite timid and paranoid.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...when you put the androids at the back of bus, no one is buying that you never intended any of these parallels towards racism

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I notice a lot of the replies disagreeing with Geoff are all about how "you shouldn't be offended" or "not another one of these." Which are terrible arguments. How exactly is this game not a terrible race allegory.

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What's keeping them from developing sentience a second time?

Also the general public never learns how androids achieve sentience in the first place, so they don't know to just reset them.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game, but based on the video, it sounds like another one where one guy who considers himself a god somehow manages to be the one responsible for all the huge AI tech? Why is that always the case, between this, Blade Runner, and I, Robot? How do they attribute such a massive leap in technology to a single person such that the game typically ends in a confrontation with this man who considers himself a god, where he realizes that maybe he made a mistake and created something far more human than intended? Like, how do you just accidentally program that? That's not how that works.

How do they accidentally create something that when near death, suddenly becomes human?

Do they tackle this at all, from the perspective of the creators of this AI? Like, shouldn't this be a huge deal? Shouldn't there be something in place that allows them to shut them all down? Apply a firmware update? Anything other than literally sending in the military to take them out?

Obviously the game has a lot of real world parallels and isn't subtle about them at all, but I don't understand why that's a problem or why it makes the story bad.
Because it compares robots who were made in a factory to serve humans to a race of humans who were born just like every other human, taken from their home, and forced to serve other humans.

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished.

Great video. Tons of examples to back up his point and he's articulate and knowledgeable enough to showcase why these narrative decisions are wildly problematic. Subscribed.

My ignore list is getting DEEEEEEP.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Thanks for the link and summary.

I think most people would be a little wary of what must be a 7 foot tall, 250lb android especially someone like Kara who comes off as quite timid and paranoid.

The issue there is that Kara and Alice don't have that same reaction to the fat creepy white guy who answers the door, but they do to the big black android who is introduced as simply being there to take their coats. This is despite Kara being an android (and therefore more trusting of fellow Androids) and that both Kara and Alice have a lot more reason to be fearful of fat creepy white guys as they had just escaped from a situation involving a fat creepy white guy trying to kill them (who had also been abusing Alice for years). Luther isn't even an android you see anywhere else in game yet there's no reason whatsoever to believe he's in any way a 'special' model. It just seems that Quantic Dream wanted a scary guy there to create tension and chose a big black guy to do so. The scene goes out of its way to make it clear that the entire situation is sketchy, it really doesn't need a 'big scary black guy' as well.

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't even really care for Detroit and really dislike Cage's previous game and his writing in general but the opening 30 seconds of this are so extreme it's hard to take it seriously enough as honest criticism and not just a person with a vendetta against the guy.

There sure is a lot of anime on that channel.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even really care for Detroit and really dislike Cage's previous game and his writing in general but the opening 30 seconds of this are so extreme it's hard to take it seriously enough as honest criticism and not just a person with a vendetta against the guy.

Nice post.

This video is almost 25 minutes long.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Try watching the video instead of watching the first 30 seconds and then pre-judging them based on video thumbnails.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
David Cage really made Jesse Williams a magical negro, huh. I hope Jesse doesn't see the final product.

Was that audio from Two Best Friends when they say fuck you to the tagging of the MLK Jr inspired message? Do they skewer the game much?

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When the writer/director of a game tells you that their game isn't trying to say anything but you don't listen. -.-

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Cage really made Jesse Williams a magical negro, huh. I hope Jesse doesn't see the final product.

Was that audio from Two Best Friends when they say fuck you to the tagging of the MLK Jr inspired message? Do they skewer the game much?

They have a David Cage bingo card. It's pretty great.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nice post.

This video is almost 25 minutes long.
Try watching the video instead of watching the first 30 seconds and then pre-judging them based on video thumbnails.
Which is my point. When you start with that opener, you've put up a barrier to entry. The opener to this video is a conclusion that he hasn't supported yet and he also states that someone who doesn't agree with his premise (which I guess you glean from the title of the video and thumbnail?) is wrong since he doesn't agree.

There are loads of eloquent critiques of Detroit in written and video form that don't take an outright hostile approach to the subject and viewer right out the gate. I know this type of YouTube commentary is vogue right now, but I don't have to like it. The creator undermines themselves with their opening statement.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Was that audio from Two Best Friends when they say fuck you to the tagging of I Have A Dream? Do they skewer the game much?

From the playthrough so far they don't seem to be as down on the game as they were on the others, but they are throwing a lot of shit at the allegorical stuff.

Which is my point. When you start with that opener, you've put up a barrier to entry. The opener to this video is a conclusion that he hasn't supported yet and he also states that someone who doesn't agree with his premise (which I guess you glean from the title of the video and thumbnail?) is wrong since he doesn't agree.

There are loads of eloquent critiques of Detroit in written and video form that don't take an outright hostile approach to the subject and viewer right out the gate. I know this type of YouTube commentary is vogue right now, but I don't have to like it. The creator undermines themselves with their opening statement.

You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't be making statements about the person's opinions as a whole without watching it. I and everyone else who watched the video can attest to the notion that the video is very well-referenced and his points are backed up thoroughly.

EDIT: After rewatching that first thirty seconds I'm not even sure you watched the same video as me. He never says people's opinions are wrong, he praises the good elements of Detroit and then goes on to the main part of his argument. It really seems like you're doing a lot of pre-judging here, especially since you used his liking of anime as a legitimate reason to call his video out.

Last edited:

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Between this 'I don't see colour' stuff and the rest of your posts, I'm really starting to wonder if this discussion has any point to it...

When the writer/director of a game tells you that their game isn't trying to say anything but you don't listen. -.-
He also said it WAS trying to say something...so which one do you listen to?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But the first 30 seconds are him saying David Cage doesn't know how to direct actors, and then he immediately shows an example of that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, just finished the video. I can't believe that twist ending to the game. That completely undermines the entire plot of the game. What.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Between this 'I don't see colour' stuff and the rest of your posts, I'm really starting to wonder if this discussion has any point to it...

He also said it WAS trying to say something...so which one do you listen to?

Dialectic:

a : any systematic reasoning, exposition or argument that juxtaposes opposed or contradictory ideas and usually seeks to resolve their conflict : a method of examining and discussing opposing ideas in order to find the truth

People want to argue so there isn't any point in continuing so I'll leave it there.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the first third or so of the game they actually enjoy, but as it goes on, and the more the game leans on allegory, the less they put up with some of its messaging

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the video and seeing the tweet really explains to what Easy Allies meant by the game being very heavy handed with the slavery and Civil Right movement messaging.

As a writer I actually find that offensive as not only does it mean that you are not a good writer but you don't trust your audience's intelligence to work it out themselves. It can also display a lack of awareness of the issue if you end up badly butchering the message.

Just because you have an idea for a story doesn't mean that you're right person to write that story and in this case, Cage should have handed the project to someone else who can do it and just stayed out of it.

This is clearly a game that is trying to be smart, thought provoking and holding a mirror up to reality but doing a such a bad job of it that it fails at all three. It also didn't help that Cage went back and forth on whether the game was an allegory for the slavery and the Civil Right movement.

Why is it not ok to use allegory and draw from real life slavery/civil rights movements for stories, as long as you're doing it in a respectful way and not as a means to dismiss it/make fun of it? Why does the game need to explain in detail the reasons behind using such things as a framing device? I mean the entire point is that the androids are oppressed and treated as slaves, it makes logical sense then that there would be parallels between the real world civil rights movement, just like there were parallels between the Women's Rights movement and African Americans civil rights movement.

Did people get up in arms over I, Robot, Blade Runner, The Matrix, etc for doing those things also?

Having androids becoming sentient and then coming to terms with that isn't some new thing, it's been in numerous other sci-fi works, from books, movies, games, etc. Sure it was heavy handed in Detroit and not subtle, but it didn't come off like he was making fun of it or anything in the least.

It can be done if it's done in a respectful way that doesn't diminish the real life counterpart. The problem is that Cage is a white French man, so he clearly lacks the understanding of the matter and doesn't exactly have the grace of writing it well either thus the messaging just comes off as insulting.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
But the first 30 seconds are him saying David Cage doesn't know how to direct actors, and then he immediately shows an example of that.
He shows one out of context clip of a deranged, mourning father played by a famously at times over the top actor in Willem Dafoe. The counter to that anyways would be Ellen Page's performance in the very same game which was consistently superb and overcame the many, many shortcomings of that game. You could cherry pick 3 second clips from some of the greatest directors ever to make the same 'point'. It's lazy and poorly done.

The expectation for YouTube style criticism is so low that the structure of this video is something that has become accepted and presented as a good basis for discussion. It's not.

Contrast it with Yussef Cole's editorial/review of the game and how he builds to his conclusion over the course of his piece. It's eloquent, well written and most importantly well structured. I have a few nitpicks but he at least has the consideration to be inviting to the reader, those that agree or might disagree, and not just using the platform as a vehicle for a rant.