• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
days_gone_bike.jpg

Days Gone is the first big PlayStation 4 exclusive due this year (well, not counting the newly announced Early Access launch of Dreams), but developer Sony Bend took quite some time with making the game.

Production began as long as six years ago, in fact. Speaking to EDGE magazine (May 2019, issue 331), Game Director and Writer John Garvin explained what took so long. Days Gone became a systems-driven game with countless permutations that make it unique, according to Garvin.

All the systems come into play in a way that makes predictability impossible, and that's what makes the gameplay experience awesome. The permutations, how many different kinds of things that can happen, are just astronomical. And to make that work, you have to have all the systems there and in play. You can't really tune the game if you don't have the melee system quite done yet, because then you can't really tune the crafting system. All these systems have to be in play at the same time, and that means all of them have to be done and in the game and working. That's what takes the time.

The developer also pointed out having to balance the mechanics of fuel management. In the game, protagonist Deacon St. John (portrayed by actor Sam Witwer) will need to manage and upgrade his bike carefully in order to traverse the big, dangerous regions of the post-apocalyptic Pacific Northwest.

Fuel management is not something you see often in games, because it's very tricky to balance. You don't want to punish the player, having them constantly run out of gas and making it a chore. But on the other hand, you want that tension that comes from that constant fear of 'Oh my god, am I going to run out of gas.

Source

Mar 29, 2018
Pity they don't go into specifics, but I also appreciate that they don't go into specifics.

More unique mass-zombie survival sandbox stuff with nice focus on tone and selected gameplay mechanics is a big win in my book. Can't wait to try the game, although I'll be busy/travelling when it comes out.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Left 4 Dead was pretty good at this. Maybe I'll give this game a shot if it works out well

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fuel management is not something you see often in games, because it's very tricky to balance. You don't want to punish the player, having them constantly run out of gas and making it a chore. But on the other hand, you want that tension that comes from that constant fear of 'Oh my god, am I going to run out of gas.

*raises hand* I do not, in fact, want that specific kind of tension

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
That's pretty cool sounding but does it still run kinda shitty is my question. I was not impressed with the performance of it at PAX South this year.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing the game.

These statements are ALWAYS hyperbole.

Yeah, I feel like I've heard a variation of this hundreds of times in the past whether it refers to weapon skins, enemy types, game endings or whatever.

It'll probably do that thing that every game does where you have to worry about fuel early on and then you upgrade your bike to have a bigger fuel tank/more fuel efficient and then you can ignore it for the second half of the game.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Really hinging on reviews/user feedback at this point for me. This game could not look more uninspired to me but if people are loving it, I'll definitely be there. I'm rooting for it, but it certainly has an uphill climb. Guess we'll see soon enough!

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Didnt they talk about the amount of "random events" that can happen to you in the world before and wasnt the number ridiculously huge? I may be misremembering but I remember people comparing it to far cry 5 too and it was a massive difference.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Day One !
I hope that the gas and Bike situations really feels natural and not 'tense' just on the first minutes before you got OP !

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Didnt they talk about the amount of "random events" that can happen to you in the world before and wasnt the number ridiculously huge? I may be misremembering but I remember people comparing it to far cry 5 too and it was a massive difference.
Random events like in RDR2?
I haven't played Far cry so I don't know what it's being compared to.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy because everything shown so far about this game seem fairly predictable

Hoping to be surprised nonetheless

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
I'm actually really looking forward to this. From what I've seen it looks like it could be pretty good. At the very least another strong entry in Sony's first party list of games.

Oct 27, 2017
They did talk a bit more about how the game is unpredictable. Not sure where it was but they are building an eco system for animals, freakers and weather that when combined would make for a very unpredictable chain of events.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
*mulls beard*

Ok, I'll bite. If properly implemented, this is the most interesting bit of this game I've heard.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The same could also be said of no mans sky. Why do devs keep spouting bullshit like this after all these years? To anyone with half a brain this makes the game sound worse, not better.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
In a survival horror game where the bike is so key I think I do since that's where some of the survival's going to come from. For some other types of games I'd agree, like with the weapon break systems in some rpgs that don't need it.

This might actually be a fun game to watch streams of as well to see how different situations play out
Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing what people do way differently than I probably will when going into locations with lots of these freakers lol.

Last edited:

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Sounds like he is reading from the NMS pre-release playbook of over-hyping something that not be that significant... I'm waiting on reviews and possibly even post-launch before I decide... Hoping this will be a pleasant surprise like HZD...

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
This might actually be a fun game to watch streams of as well to see how different situations play out

Why?

Getting an "astronomical" permutation count is meaningless and not really that difficult. For example, there are more possible Super Mario Maker levels than there are atoms in the known universe. If permutation count correlated at all with game quality, Mario Maker by itself should have made the Wii U a hit.

So, I mean it's cool and all, but it doesn't actually tell you anything useful with regards to evaluating the state or quality of the game.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Oh man. Just when I thought I wouldn't have to hoard in this game. Gas will be my number one priority now. The other stuff they mentioned sounds good.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
They did talk a bit more about how the game is unpredictable. Not sure where it was but they are building an eco system for animals, freakers and weather that when combined would make for a very unpredictable chain of events.
Yeah, I think it might have been in the last thread, or whichever one it was when the animals and weather came up.

nevermind I'm good thanks best of luck on all your future endeavors
Eh. The bike being more or less invincible would kind of lessen a lot of the survival horror linked to having a bike to get out of most situations.

Hopefully it's balanced well though in terms of enhancements as you get further into the game though.