• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they will announce Cross-play alongside PS5. Maybe not the most sensical thing, and I hope the crowd doesnt cheer for something that should have happened years earlier, but I do believe it will be a PS5 announcement.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want Borderlands 3 to have PS4 to PC crossplay. Would really suck if not. I may even give the game a pass in that case.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay has been super convenient, so we're done with Sony until they get it together in that front personally.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I actually have 4 PS4s. Well I have 3 kids (grown ass teenagers now), and they have their own PS4s too. It would be nice if crossplay would work to the point that one of us could get a XB1 (to play their exclusives), and still play with the other 3 online. That said it will not be factor when we pick out next console (if Sony doesn't support it, crossplay is almost useless to us). Exclusives, hardware specs, and price point will be what drives us to a MS or Sony console next time as a group. We switched to the 360 (I think we ended up with 8-10 due to red rings and other issues), and switched to PS4 as a group due to the price, Naughty Dog, and the fact the 360s kept breaking on us. That said I would not surprised if we switched back to MS if the price is right. I have peaked on Naught Dog games (still dying for LOU 2), and that PS download speed is still shit. Still price vs. value will be the main factor.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
But there are also a people who don't want nor don't care about it. THE VAST MAJORITY don't.

Please see the quote posted below and rethink if your stance is pro-consumer or pro-billionaire company.

You will see this a lot in this thread since it is about Sony.

I got all consoles and a PC, my daughter a Switch, my parents own a ps4 and PC. The Ps4s are used less since there are more and more games we can play all together on the others crossplattform

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, PC, Mac and mobile devices doesn't count, only X1 and Switch matters. Gotcha

We literally have devs on record saying it's more work to actually restrict platforms which only is happening due to Sony. I don't know why you're trying to argue this weird angle.

At best this is a scenario people are apathetic about. There are literally zero reasons to be against it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is actually blowing my god damn mind.

"Nobody owns 4 playstations in a family so they can't play together :'(((( "

That's why split-screen was invented, ya dummy.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
C'mon guys, stop asking for this. Why would you even want to play with friends on another platform? If they're really important to you, why don't you buy the platform they're on, or ask them to buy yours?

If you keep up this entitled attitude, we're risking the important things (my favorite corporation's bottom line) for some trivial benefit (like expanded options as a gamer and consumer). Be careful what you wish for.
At last I truly see.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So, PC, Mac and mobile devices doesn't count for crossplay, only X1 and Switch matters. Gotcha

Get off your Sony high horse. First, yes those others count for crossplay. Which begs the question, if Sony can do it for them why not for Switch + Xbox? Second, you talk about a huge majority not wanting crossplay, can I get some receipts for that? Or are you conflating those that don't care with those that don't want it? Even then it makes it sound like you don't want a company to cater for minorities...

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually blowing my god damn mind.

"Nobody owns 4 playstations in a family so they can't play together :'(((( "

That's why split-screen was invented, ya dummy.

The reason the splitscreen argument doesn't really apply, is because incorporating splitscreen is something that has significant restrictions (and not just graphical). The way games are made both in terms of graphical fidelity, along with streamed assets etc means that rendering out two or more unique points of view (and having one machine handle all interactions of each by itself) would regularly require the game itself to be simpler in scope, even when played solo.

Crossplay on the other hand is effectively a toggle. Nobody's losing anything by its existence, whereas I imagine if many people saw a parallel universe version of some games where the concessions for splitscreen were taken, they'd opt against it in many cases.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
But there are also a people who don't want nor don't care about it. THE VAST MAJORITY don't.
Btw. Sony is doing crossplay actually. It's fucking dumb to say they aren't doing it.
They are selectively doing it. So no they are not doing it.

The vast majority have no idea it's possible to play with their friends on other consoles. Unless you're a hardcore console warrior, no reasonable person would say no to wanting that.

You think these conversations haven't happened?

Friend 1: "I just got division 2!!"
Friend 2: "so did I what system you get it on?"
Friend 1: "Xbox"
Friend 2: "oh damn PS4 😞"

You telling me those people wouldn't want cross play. People with friends would want crossplay if they knew it was a possibility. Shit you know what it would do for the life of games?

Jan 17, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Persistent pattern of system warring, returning from a ban and resuming behavior, multiple previous infractions
Get off your Sony high horse. First, yes those others count for crossplay. Which begs the question, if Sony can do it for them why not for Switch + Xbox? Second, you talk about a huge majority not wanting crossplay, can I get some receipts for that? Or are you conflating those that don't care with those that don't want it? Even then it makes it sound like you don't want a company to cater for minorities...

Yeah, stop living in ERA bubble and you'll see that vast majority don't care about crossplay. It's so pathetic that some people here accusing others for "corporate defender" just because they said they don't care about crossplay

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit you know what it would do for the life of games?
this is the biggest thing. a game like division 2 will be fine for years, even if it sucks that you can't play with your friends on other platforms you won't run out of randoms to play with. but for smaller games (indies, smaller fighting games, etc) cross play would be a godsend cuz the online population drops quick but if all platforms are pooled together that can massively increase the life of the game.

Yeah, stop living in ERA bubble and you'll see that vast majority don't care about crossplay.
that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. ok the majority doesn't care, so what? enable it for the minority that does care and does want it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the PS4 generally crossplay with PC and mobile?

A select few. Even if Sony doesn't want crossplay between consoles, fighting games should still allow crossplay between PC and Consoles.

Netherrelm Studio games run on server that requires a WB account. Nothing really stopping it from having crossplay.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
User Banned (1 Week): Backseat modding, consistent history of system warring, and numerous accumulated infractions
This Cross Play begging is tiresome. I wish it was a ban-able offense here like port begging. Whats obvious is that consumers want it. Why wouldn't they? But whats not so obvious is that like exclusive games, a walled platform is super effective in selling hardware especially if you are the leading box console. Why do you think PS4 ran away with it??? We all can hate on it, but whoever has the lead has always done it, since the beginning of online games. Microsoft isn't a righteous pro-consumer advocate. They haven't changed. They just don't have the lead so that strategy doesn't work in their favor. They want you to buy an Xbox and still have your friends to play with, which most of them are probably on PS4.

I wish Sony would fully open the cross play gates, but I also understand they are a business and that it would be bad for business for them right now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
this is the biggest thing. a game like division 2 will be fine for years, even if it sucks that you can't play with your friends on other platforms you won't run out of randoms to play with. but for smaller games (indies, smaller fighting games, etc) cross play would be a godsend cuz the online population drops quick but if all platforms are pooled together that can massively increase the life of the game.
With Division having a multiple tier end game content with no way to go back and do pre-level 30 missions or garuntee that people struggling to get their footing in the first 10 level have a fun experience..

The user base would be somewhat fragmented. I still think crossplay would help those entry level people.

Jan 17, 2019
Again, receipts?

And if many don't care, what's the problem with having it for those that do want it?

Like i said, surely millions and millions of people ditched their PS4s and bought Switch or X1 for crossplay or maybe PS4 MAU reduced rapidly. IIRC from last report, MAU on PS4 grew, right.

Good, you want crossplay. That's great. But maybe you should accept that vast majority don't care.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Keep the pressure on Sony...either they lose user base in the long run or they will straighten out their act and get themselves together.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, stop living in ERA bubble and you'll see that vast majority don't care about crossplay. It's so pathetic that some people here accusing others for "corporate defender" just because they said they don't care about crossplay

Not really an era bubble. As of now, my son has grown up playing stuff like Minecraft and fortnite between switch, mobile, Xbox etc. You're free to believe whatever you like, but crossplay is handy and is going to eventually become the norm. Didn't get rid of my pro for that reason, but it was a factor in why I chose to go back to a one x instead when I had the option.

If your argument just boils down to generalized statements like Era bubble this or people don't care that, you're not really saying anything of value imo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Like i said, surely millions and millions of people ditched their PS4s and bought Switch or X1 for crossplay or maybe PS4 MAU reduced rapidly. IIRC from last report, MAU on PS4 grew, right.

People can care about wanting crossplay without ditching their PS4's... I have a Pro and it would be nice to play with friends who have an X1. There's also the added side-effect of cross-progression which is huge for people like myself who have a Pro and a Switch.

Again you are still not showing receipts and you again are not answering the question I posed after about if the majority do not care then what is the issue of having crossplay for those that do care?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Division having a multiple tier end game content with no way to go back and do pre-level 30 missions or garuntee that people struggling to get their footing in the first 10 level have a fun experience..

The user base would be somewhat fragmented. I still think crossplay would help those entry level people.
i'm not sure if ubi asked it sony would say no, i don't think they want to say no to the big boys, so the pressure should also be put on big publishers (ea, ubi, activision) to work on it.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

Good, you want crossplay. That's great. But maybe you should accept that vast majority don't care.

This is a stupid argument to make. You could care a LOT about crossplay, and not ditch your PlayStation for say an Xbox simply because crossplay is a two-way street, and so you'd still end up with the same problem on the other side.

You keep going on about how many people "don't care", but those people are irrelevant because they're also fine with crossplay being included. There are however drastically more people that do care and want crossplay than there are people that do care and actively don't want crossplay. So the argument against crossplay actually serves the smallest segment of users.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This Cross Play begging is tiresome. I wish it was a banable offense here like port begging. Whats obvious is that consumers want it. Why wouldn't they? But whats not so obvious is that like exclusive games, a walled platform is super effective in selling hardware especially if you are the leading box console. Why do you think PS4 ran away with it??? We all can hate on it, but whoever has the lead has always done it, since the beginning of online games. Microsoft isn't a righteous pro-consumer advocate. They haven't changed. They just don't have the lead so that strategy doesn't work in their favor. They want you to buy an Xbox and still have your friends to play with, which most of them are probably on PS4.
You couldn't be more wrong, Xbox doesn't care if you buy the Xbox at this point, as long as you use their services. As long as you have a entry point they are happy. The whole next gen is being aimed at "play anywhere" with them.

Fun Fact, out of all my friends I'm the only one with a PS4, everyone else has Xbox, luckily I have one as well. But with what Xbox has planned next gen two of them will just move to PC. The box is just the gateway to the product.

Console Wars will no longer be won by "systems sold"
It will be won by attachment to services and revenue from that.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
There are four PS4s in my house. We still don't ALL play together much.

I get the point though.

What I really want is more games to have split screen multiplayer so I can have four PS4s and 16 players in the same house.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Throwing down that card as if it means anything anymore. That was how many years ago?!?!?! We are in a totally different world now
It's still a thing though, yoshi p has been fighting for both cross play on xbox and switch. Though if the supposed leaked Brazil retail rating of shadowbringers is true we might finally get it.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's quite the opposite in fact, the casual player would absolutely love crossplay, you just don't see them discuss the issue. I lost count of how many times I heard children say "How cool would it be if we could play together?" before Fortnite became full xplay. Even now people would love to see the feature implemented with every game.

Nov 1, 2017
I love that the first page was weirdly disjointed with a bunch of people replying to posts i couldn't see. Then i realised that i have a grand total of one person on my Ignore list, only put there because they were being a massive arsehole in another thread. Judging by the fact he's got a nice little ban it's reassuring to know i wasn't wrong in that judgement.

On topic: The subject has been done to death a bit and Sony isn't budging it seems other than the token "Fuck we can't piss Epic off because we want a cut of that Fortnite money" gesture. Because it seems that the horse has very much bolted from the stable in terms of crossplay on all devices except Playstation i predict one of two things will happen: They might announce full crossplay coming to Playstation 5 as some sort of incredible revolutionary new feature and use it as a marketing ploy which, while annoying, is at least something i can get behind because they'll never be able to go back on that without Microsoft XB1 reveal levels of pushback. It doesn't do much for the unlucky games of this gen that need crossplay but we're on the verge of a console gen transition so it's not a huge blow.

Alternatively Sony double down and stick their head in the sand going "la la la we're doing a beta la la la we have to think of the children" or whatever other bullshit excuse they come out with and they continue their policy of only allowing crossplay on the barest minimum of titles that is feasible for them to get away with. Which won't do much to damage Sony in the short term and i would guess that the PS5 will still sell well because the Playstation is still so powerful in terms of market share but it will be something that gradually chips away at the brand over the entire console generation. They will continue to look foolish and out of touch and the closer we move to a device agnostic and potential streaming future the less relevant they will be until they do a Dreamcast and release a console that despite probably having great games will be of interest to very few people.

Oct 25, 2017
I think to consider whether this guy has a point I'd want to know

1) What percentage of households have 4 devices
2) What percentage of that percentage has screens for each device (as most multiconsole owners surely hook multiple consoles up to one display)
3) what percentage of that percentage (from 2) has 4 gamers in one house.

Of course it would be cool to let more people more easily use these kinds of setups but the idea of having 4 devices each with a display is cost prohibitive regardless of whether every platform allows cross play. Is it a realistic goal worth pursuing for a profit-driven business or is it a tech guy's fantasy?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
In which world is "I don't care" a compelling argument?

I barely play online games. I still see how cool it would be if crossplay was commonplace.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
There are four PS4s in my house. We still don't ALL play together much.

I get the point though.

What I really want is more games to have split screen multiplayer so I can have four PS4s and 16 players in the same house.
From what i understand, implementing crossplay has zero implications for devs and Epic has a platform that's free to use for devs even.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/12/...e-cross-platform-tools-fortnite-unreal-engine

Split screen on the other hand does cause additional work for devs and has implications on performance.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how Microsoft flipped the script on the cross play conversation. I think things will naturally play out and we will have cross play on most if not all games on consoles during some point of the next generation. Especially now with things like Xcloud, Stadia and advancements in PSNow it just makes sense.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between not personally caring about crossplay vs actively defending Sony's business interests vs having more options.

Not saying this is you, but there is more to the discussion than you are portraying

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
So, most people here are for cross play it seems. And Sony aren't making a big effort to allow it, but Xbox and Nintendo are ok with it.

My questions then, are why aren't developers using it? Why do they get a let here when they can quite clearly put it in their games?

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is, this will happen. At some point we won't even argue this topic as crossplay will just be a normal and expected thing. Kind of like high definition television. It comes in different flavors and some care more than others about what they get.

SD = Old School
HD = 720p
Full HD = 1080p
Ultra HD = 4K

Walled Network: Old School
Crossplay: Single Game Console, PC
Full Crossplay: Single Game Console, PC, iOS and Android
Ultra Crossplay: All Consoles, PC, iOS and Android