• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
The reality is, this will happen. At some point we won't even argue this topic as crossplay will just be a normal and expected thing. Kind of like high definition television. It comes in different flavors and some care more than others about what they get.

SD = Old School
HD = 720p
Full HD = 1080p
Ultra HD = 4K

Walled Network: Old School
Crossplay: Single Game Console, PC
Full Crossplay: Single Game Console, PC, iOS and Android
Ultra Crossplay: All Consoles, PC, iOS and Android
Pretty much. But console warriors will have to find something else to brag/attack then, so of course they are afraid of the prospect.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
So, most people here are for cross play it seems. And Sony aren't making a big effort to allow it, but Xbox and Nintendo are ok with it.

My questions then, are why aren't developers using it? Why do they get a let here when they can quite clearly put it in their games?

Because developers would otherwise be force to "pick a side" for their crossplay implementations (exclude Xbox and Switch, or exclude PS4), or put in the extra effort (like Epic and Psyonix did) to create dynamic pools that are capable of match all platforms with any that they're allowed to play with, but not the ones they aren't. The latter is what we saw go slightly wrong in Fortnite when Xbox and PS4 players ended up in matches with each other despite Sony's policy not yet allowing for it.

More importantly though, crossplay should be a developer choice. If they opt not to include it then that's fair enough.. even if that results in people viewing their game in a more negative light. The issue is that their are developers that do want crossplay for their games, and Sony is preventing that ecosystem wide with the exception of a handful of games that caused them enough trouble to gain an exemption.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Some people sure spend quite some time defending a corporation for not doing something they don't care about.

Sorry, not defending just ""explaining"" why a corporation shouldn't/isn't doing it..

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, stop living in ERA bubble and you'll see that vast majority don't care about crossplay. It's so pathetic that some people here accusing others for "corporate defender" just because they said they don't care about crossplay

How many post have you made in this thread and how many posts will you make in future threads about something you don't care about?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, I live with my partner together and we have both a PS4, so that would make two.

But, what am I missing here? What has owning four PS4 to do with Crossplay? I'm confused.

The interviewer should've simply answered "Yeah, you're right, we don't own separate PS4's, but we do own a Xbox and a PS4, and that's why we want crossplay."

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
User Banned (3 days): System wars and trolling over multiple posts
You think these conversations haven't happened?

Friend 1: "I just got division 2!!"
Friend 2: "so did I what system you get it on?"
Friend 1: "Xbox"
Friend 2: "oh damn PS4 😞"

You telling me those people wouldn't want cross play. People with friends would want crossplay if they knew it was a possibility. Shit you know what it would do for the life of games?

They happen everyday to me. Still don't want crossplay. My boy refuses to buy ps4, and I refuse to buy xbox. We just send eachother pics and clips saying "this could be us" bahahaha

Like i've said, .it would be nice, but i'm not gonna act like THEY HAVE to implement crossplay. Would I take advantage of it? obviously. Is it a deal breaker for my next console? HELL NAAAAAH

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Some people sure spend quite some time defending a corporation for not doing something they don't care about.

Sorry, not defending just ""explaining"" why a corporation shouldn't/isn't doing it..
It's almost as if crying or demanding a feature. Feeling entitled to it just because its pro-consumer.

It's fair to say, the coin could be tossed on the matter

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care either way for cross-play. Just came in here to say I have 3 PS4's lol (also have 2 Xbox 1's and a Switch).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They happen everyday to me. Still don't want crossplay. My boy refuses to buy ps4, and I refuse to buy xbox. We just send eachother pics and clips saying "this could be us" bahahaha

Like i've said, .it would be nice, but i'm not gonna act like THEY HAVE to implement crossplay. Would I take advantage of it? obviously. Is it a deal breaker for my next console? HELL NAAAAAH
So if you would take advantage of it you're for it. Thanks for putting aside your console warrior stance for a split second to clarify that.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Of my gaming friends, I own all three consoles, but my switch is hacked. A few of my friends are Switch only, with one having a PC for back up.

True crossplay is one of the few things that get me excited for next gen, especially as everything goes subscription-based.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect Sony figured out some time ago that the vast majoruty who want Crossplay with PS4, don't actually own a PS4.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
One thing we've seen with games like Vainglory and Fortnite is that a whole family may want to play together, but nobody owns four PlayStations. Dad's going to play on the iPad, one kid is on the PS4, another kid is on his phone. That kind of gameplay is only possible through crossplay.
Sony allows tablet - ps4 - phone crossplay, as far as i know.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
More importantly though, crossplay should be a developer choice. If they opt not to include it then that's fair enough.. even if that results in people viewing their game in a more negative light. The issue is that their are developers that do want crossplay for their games, and Sony is preventing that ecosystem wide with the exception of a handful of games that caused them enough trouble to gain an exemption.

I don't think it's fair enough to devs tbh. If it's a feature that people are demanding Sony have then it's a feature people should be demanding developers add to their game.

If Sony were to turn around and say yes go for it and next to nobody bothers, well do we all shrug our shoulders and move on? It seems that there should be more pressure applied to developers and publishers to me, which in turn would put more pressure on Sony.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Lol.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

man fuck capitalism. This corporate apologist mentality needs to go the fuck away.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As far as the multiple consoles point goes, the problem in my household is that we don't have enough TVs. I have a PS4, X1, and PC, but they all hooked up to the only TV in the house. So even if crossplay is enabled I can't take advantage of that. I feel like that would the bigger problem for most households. A lot of people own multiple consoles, but I would imagine that the majority don't have each console connected to a different TV in the house.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the multiple consoles point goes, the problem in my household is that we don't have enough TVs. I have a PS4, X1, and PC, but they all hooked up to the only TV in the house. So even if crossplay is enabled I can't take advantage of that. I feel like that would the bigger problem for most households. A lot of people own multiple consoles, but I would imagine that the majority don't have each console connected to a different TV in the house.

Sure that's the case for some, but if you've got a child or older kid, they most likely have a tv nowadays. It's not like back in the day. TVs are fairly cheap. Feels like we're kind of reaching to find some inconvenience on this one.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if someone has one tv or ten. The option should still be there. It benefits game populations overall and could affect folks in that way as well. On switch, it's nice to know the Smite and Paladins population is bolstered by cross play. I think a game like dead by daylight would benefit as well. Would be great in titanfall 2.

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's fair enough to devs tbh. If it's a feature that people are demanding Sony have then it's a feature people should be demanding developers add to their game.

If Sony were to turn around and say yes go for it and next to nobody bothers, well do we all shrug our shoulders and move on? It seems that there should be more pressure applied to developers and publishers to me, which in turn would put more pressure on Sony.

No we wouldn't all shrug our shoulders and move on. It would then become a discussion on a game-by-game basis, where some games would be criticized for failing to provide crossplay despite the feasibility. Say for example a game lacks ingame voice communication (say Destiny in social hubs). You would see a lot of people criticize that game for opting to disregard something that has clear and feasible system-level support. This would be completely different from if the vast majority of games were lacking ingame voice chat, as a result of one of the market leaders outright disallowing it on their platform.

Blaming developers individually for not implementing crossplay can wait until the singular entity that would prevent them having a universal implementation regardless, ceases doing so.

The overlap between Switch and other traditional consoles seriously skews this though. PS4 blocks crossplay with the primary device that can solve this issue.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sure that's the case for some, but if you've got a child or older kid, they most likely have a tv nowadays. It's not like back in the day. TVs are fairly cheap. Feels like we're kind of reaching to find some inconvenience on this one.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if someone has one tv or ten. The option should still be there.

Got two kids of my own. One TV in the house. We either just take turn using it or with certain games we play together. Most of the other families I know from the PTA are similar. Most kids these days don't watch TV or play on traditional consoles. So having a TV is somewhat irrelevant to them. They much rather have a nice phone or iPad, which is where they spend most of their time.

I agree that crossplay should be made available. I was just commenting on one of the points in the OP.

The overlap between Switch and other traditional consoles seriously skews this though. PS4 blocks crossplay with the primary device that can solve this issue.

I don't disagree. And I think it's unlikely that Sony will ever open up crossplay with Nintendo given their history with one another.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
No we wouldn't all shrug our shoulders and move on. It would then become a discussion on a game-by-game basis, where some games would be criticized for failing to provide crossplay despite the feasibility. Say for example a game lacks ingame voice communication (say Destiny in social hubs). You would see a lot of people criticize that game for opting to disregard something that has clear and feasible system-level support. This would be completely different from if the vast majority of games were lacking ingame voice chat, as a result of one of the market leaders outright disallowing it on their platform.

Blaming developers individually for not implementing crossplay can wait until the singular entity that would prevent them having a universal implementation regardless, ceases doing so.

They can cross play now. Plenty of games do. There's nothing stopping them from doing it.

Demand puts pressure on companies as was proven when Fortnite devs did it. If players demand crossplay from games then that puts extra pressure on the industry to do it. Besides, if hardly any games do it then what reason is there for Sony to say yes?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Got two kids of my own. One TV in the house. We either just take turn using it or with certain games we play together. Most of the other families I know from the PTA are similar. Most kids these days don't watch TV or play on traditional consoles. So having a TV is somewhat irrelevant to them. They much rather have a nice phone or iPad, which is where they spend most of their time. I agree that crossplay should be made available. I was just commenting on one of the points in the OP.

I don't disagree. And I think it's unlikely that Sony will ever open up crossplay with Nintendo given their history with one another.

Even if they're not playing on traditional console, it only strengthens the argument for crossplay for mobile or switch. Anecdotes about your situation and generalizations about who or who doesn't own a tv doesn't really mean much of anything because crossplay doesn't lessen the experience either way. Crossplay is a benefit overall, even if it's just for the sake of a healthier multiplayer population in a game or the option to play with a friend who may own another system.

Two of the biggest games out (fortnite, Minecraft) support the feature, it's not some niche request. As a note, I understand you're for it, referring to some of these other responses as well.

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Even if they're not playing on traditional console, it only strengthens the argument for crossplay for mobile or switch. Anecdotes about your situation and generalizations about who or who doesn't own a tv doesn't really mean much of anything. Crossplay is a benefit overall, even if it's just for the sake of a healthier multiplayer population in a game.

If I wasn't clear before, I said I agree that crossplay should be made available.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Isn't the PS4 generally crossplay with PC and mobile?

Yup. Good enough for me....all of my friend/fam don't care at all about PS4/Xbox cross-play. Hell, I saw an ad for Xbox One S for $189 the other. Very attainable for a gamer.

Frankly, cross-play is more beneficial for Xbox from a business stance point. They would benefit the most.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Good enough for me....all of my friend/fam don't care at all about PS4/Xbox cross-play. Hell, I saw an ad for Xbox One S for $189 the other. Very attainable for a gamer.

Frankly, cross-play is more beneficial for Xbox from a business stance point. They would benefit the most.
You know who it really benefits the most?
The CONSUMERS

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
it should be up to the dev if there game has crossplay and who with.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if crying or demanding a feature. Feeling entitled to it just because its pro-consumer.

It's fair to say, the coin could be tossed on the matter
Wut. How is arguing for a feature that benefit both customer and devs; somehow equivalent to people defending a billion $ corporation because their favorite company might loose a little advantage at being the market leader.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
it should be up to the dev if there game has crossplay and who with.
Lots of dev want it for their games, but Sony keep dragging their feet or lying stating devs only have to speak with them. Clearly that's that true from past threads. Sony just wants this swept under the rug. I think devs should just omit PS4 from crossplay and just keep it with Xbox switch PC. It must be extra work to find ways to make xbox pc crossplay and Ps4 pc crossplay. So fustrating.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I think consumers would benefit the most.

I have friends on PS4 who want cross play with Xbox because they enjoy playing games with their friends. They don't worry about cross play hurting Sony fanboys like the majority of them defending Sony in here.

I mean Sony doesn't pay you guys actually quite Vice Versa, you pay them. Defending them on this stance is always going to be a fanboy thing to do so when you get called out for it, don't get all defensive, just accept the fact.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think consumers would benefit the most.

I have friends on PS4 who want cross play with Xbox because they enjoy playing games with their friends. They don't worry about cross play hurting Sony fanboys like the majority of them defending Sony in here.

I mean Sony doesn't pay you guys actually quite Vice Versa, you pay them. Defending them on this stance is always going to be a fanboy thing to do so when you get called out for it, don't get all defensive, just accept the fact.

It really is. I used to think it wasn't a big deal, but the more I thought about it and saw it in action, I can't think of a single reason to play devils advocate on the matter.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They happen everyday to me. Still don't want crossplay.

----------------

Would I take advantage of it? obviously.

10GUY.jpg

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
Here I'm playing The Division 2 on PS4, some missions/bounties etc can take a long time to matchmake, if there's crossplay there'll be a bigger pool of players to play with, that benefits me as a PS4 player.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon guys, stop asking for this. Why would you even want to play with friends on another platform? If they're really important to you, why don't you buy the platform they're on, or ask them to buy yours?

If you keep up this entitled attitude, we're risking the important things (my favorite corporation's bottom line) for some trivial benefit (like expanded options as a gamer and consumer). Be careful what you wish for.
perfect

Screw cross-play, give me cross-progression!
yeah, this is actually more important to me but why not both?

perfect

yeah, this is actually more important to me but why not both?

Yeah, I definitely want both but I think cross-progression should actually be the precursor to a more open platform between all consoles + tablets + etc. If I know my progress is coming with me, I'm going to be more likely to continue playing throughout my day on a plethora of devices versus having the ability to play everywhere but then once I'm done, my progress might not have carried over.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly PS4 are wrong to deny crossplay, but looking at it from their own selfish POV, why would they give up such a huge advantage? I stayed on Xbox for far longer than I really wanted, purely because my friends were all on Xbox 360. I ultimately got a second hand PS3 at the backend of the generation to try the exclusives and was so impressed by the games that I felt extremely sad about what to do come the next generation, as I couldn't afford both consoles year 1.

Ultimately my friends also felt impressed by the exclusive games on the PS3 and all switched to PS4 at launch (Microsofts epic fail at that e3 helped that decision so much, but that's another story). If Crossplay was a thing then I'd have switched far sooner. Given how PS4 are the leading console system right now, they will have many users in the same boat, who will stay or come to the PS ecosystem purely because that is where their friends reside. I can't see how Sony would want to throw that away, neither would Microsoft or Nintendo if the roles were reversed.

Like I said, I would love to see crossplay, but people just don't seem to understand why Sony wouldn't want to do it.

I also don't really get the whole argument about families playing on all different systems. How many games actually work on an ipad/switch with the same feature set as Xbox one/Ps4 to the point that they would become crossplay compatible? Yeah, basic games like Fortnite will work because they port well but who's really gonna play Destiny or Anthem on an iPad?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

Brother you trying to make me choke on my tea this morning? You're telling me that supporting crossplay, something that requires incredibly minimal effort ok your part to do, is something you don't want to do? You don't want to play with your guys on the same game running nearly the same freaking codebase? You don't want good things?

Hold on I gotta find my eyes I think they just rolled too far into my skull (*・~・*)