• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't battle grid on consoles only? If so, his mention of mobile plattaforms don't really apply.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that is true that Sony doesn't have an issue with PC and mobile, then the example given in the OP is bad and that PS4/iPad/iPhone family can cross-play in peace.
Yeah, a console and a mix of several computing/mobile devices is going to be the most common configuration for a family. That's covered. Followed by several of the SAME console so a family can save money on buying games. That's covered. A family with 4 different consoles is the edgiest of edge cases. Surely a more inclusive argument can be made for crossplay.

This actually sounds like the start of an argument against the artificial limitations of crossbuy and console gaming in general. I pay for a service/license once and can acess multiple different versions of that service/software based on the device I want to use. In general I'm not forced to buy the pc version, then a mobile version, then a tv version, etc. My license travels with me. I should be able to take my library with me and download a version for any capable device.

MS has started approaching that with "play anywhere" within the MS ecosystem, they need to open that up for any console. Sony and especially Nintendo (having the largest focus on children, the primary beneficiaries of these options) need to get their act together on that front.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care since pretty much everyone has a PS4 anyway. But I don't mind of they brought it in, as long as PC players are separated since they are plagued with hackers.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS has started approaching that with "play anywhere" within the MS ecosystem, they need to open that up for any console. Sony and especially Nintendo (having the largest focus on children, the primary beneficiaries of these options) need to get their act together on that front.

So Sony and Nintendo need to allow someone to buy an Xbox code and allow them to play on a PS4/Switch? Seriously?

Also Sony actually had a cross buy initiative years before Microsoft with the Vita/PS4/PS3. Sony doesn't have two viable platforms (the argument that the Vita was ever viable is probably a hard one at that). I'm not sure what this is about.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody? Wrong.

I'd imagine there are probably less people than own 4 copies of the same game than 4 playstations.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 has already allowed crossplay with PC and mobile, even before Microsoft did. They only limit crossplay with switch and Xbox.

So the family example he gives in the end doesn't make much sense.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Nobody? Wrong.

I'd imagine there are probably less people than own 4 copies of the same game than 4 playstations.
So... Let me get this straight, you're saying there are probably more people with 4 PlayStation's (300 bucks/ea) than people with 4 of the same games(free - 60 bucks/ea)? This isn't even accounting for any discount and special offers. What about TV? Are these people also buying additional TV for their PlayStation's?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Sony Owes no one crossplay. We all know the only crossplay that matters is PS4 and XBOX.Switch doesn't count. Sony doesn't want to crossplay with Xbox because their sales data probably shows that people are buying the ps4 to play with their ps4 friends. The more people buy the PlayStation the healthier the ecosystem. Full crossplay with Xbox is never happening...nextgen is a different story.
So why do they keeping lying about the reason? They at least owe us the truth

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Honest question, so don't attack me for asking! I'm not up to date with who does what in terms of crossplay. Are the other platforms fully crossplay now?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question, so don't attack me for asking! I'm not up to date with who does what in terms of crossplay. Are the other platforms fully crossplay now?

The issue is with consoles. In a nutshell only Fortnite and Rocket League are 'fully' crossplay, others like Minecraft, Smite and Paladins are with Switch/Xbox but not PlayStation and devs have consistently commented that Sony are the only ones preventing such games from being so across all 3.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care what the rationale of a company may be.

As a consumer, crossplay is just a pro with no con.

So yeah, what those devs said and then some.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I still stand by the fact that announcing you're finally catching up with what every other system has already been doing won't give that much positive PR. It's not like it's gonna be some huge announcement. When they finally added it to Fortnite they just tweeted it out.

Unfortunately time tells a different story for this kind of thing - announcing you're doing something others already do often does actually go down pretty well if delivered correctly. Hell, look at Apple!

If a key point of the PS5 is that it's cross-platform for any titles moving forward (even if it's just an internal policy change), marketed correctly, many casual fans will be excited for that as opposed to feeling flat that they're matching the competition.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The issue is with consoles. In a nutshell only Fortnite and Rocket League are 'fully' crossplay, others like Minecraft, Smite and Paladins are with Switch/Xbox but not PlayStation and devs have consistently commented that Sony are the only ones preventing such games from being so across all 3.

Nice. So basically most titles on switch and Xbox going forward will be crossplay? I'm assuming the developer is the one to give the actual ok though.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Well the good news is that next gen is around the corner, so when Sony announces universal crossplay for PS5, we can all pretend that no one ever thought crossplay was a bad idea.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's amazing to me how dishonest and anti-consumer Sony has been on this.

Their crossplay "beta" (which is complete nonsense in the first place) was announced last September or so. Here we are with developers still not able to easily implement it.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I'm agnostic about the whole crossplay thing, but where is his evidence that families (specifically 4 players) actually want to play together but can't? Does he have something to back that claim up?

Jan 20, 2019
Unfortunately time tells a different story for this kind of thing - announcing you're doing something others already do often does actually go down pretty well if delivered correctly. Hell, look at Apple!

If a key point of the PS5 is that it's cross-platform for any titles moving forward (even if it's just an internal policy change), marketed correctly, many casual fans will be excited for that as opposed to feeling flat that they're matching the competition.

Yes, is how the company sells the feature that matters.

For example, if Sony sells the Cross play with BC with more features is gonna create a lot of noice in the comunity.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sony can never announce "PS5 IS CROSSPLAY!" and get a big applause. that's a nonsensical statement. what they can announce is they no longer block dev attempts at implementing crossplay, which isn't a super hype statement. it's dumb if they're keeping that announcement for ps5 as some selling point.

I'm assuming the developer is the one to give the actual ok though.
yes, cross play is something the dev should want and implement. the platform holder just gives the OK.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So... Let me get this straight, you're saying there are probably more people with 4 PlayStation's (300 bucks/ea) than people with 4 of the same games(free - 60 bucks/ea)?
Yes.

This isn't even accounting for any discount and special offers. What about TV?
I'm not buying the same game twice just because there's a sale. Are you?

What about TV? Are these people also buying additional TV for their PlayStation's?
Do you only have one TV in your household? I'd say the average household has at least 2, most people I know have 3+.

Jan 20, 2019
sony can never announce "PS5 IS CROSSPLAY!" and get a big applause. that's a nonsensical statement. what they can announce is they no longer block dev attempts at implementing crossplay, which isn't a super hype statement. it's dumb if they're keeping that announcement for ps5 as some selling point.

yes, cross play is something the dev should want and implement. the platform holder just gives the OK.

Your problem is thinking the casual audience read's blog and forums, they dont.

You can sell anything to a casual.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They're not keeping a minuscule feature that hardly any games support besides Indies and smaller games for PS5. lol.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Everyone: We want cross play.

Sony:
68856392.jpg

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
that doesn't explain why you, a gamer, are against it. it's something devs want, people want it too, why not support those who want it? it won't affect you in any negative way.

Because he's a system fanboy that cares more about Sony being the 'leader' than increased functionality for everyone else.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
minecraft
fortnite
both small indie games

Yes those games are smaller to me. When the Red Deads, GTAs, COD's, Madden, and other major 3rd party games have it then maybe it'll be important. As of now it's a stupid talking point.

that's what some people are arguing, not me. they're saying sony doesn't want to allow it on ps4 so they can announce it alongside ps5 to get some handclaps.

Well those people are insane.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know right?, honestly I think the reason Sony is steadfast in their position is because they know that the amount of people who really care about cross platform play is rather miniscule (I couldn't care less for starters).

OK, but then what is the "win" for Sony by blocking this. They are clearly the market leader so the only thing they can get from this is bad press. No one is going to say "well I have an Xbox but billy has a PS4, guess I have to buy a PS4 now". They are not going to lose a sale to MS by allowing this nor are they going to gain more sales when they are nearing the 100 million mark. Its all bad side press and no upside. And this from the company that did the brilliant "how do we share games" video at launch. Just seems like a silly miss for them that costs them nothing to do. If they were in actual competition with MS or Nintendo, that might be one thing. Start of the generation....maybe....

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was excited to hear when Fortnite got cross-platform play only to be disappointed that Sony's stance had not actually changed.

No cross-platform play in 2019 is purely anti-consumer and it's sad this is a thing.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
the question that should be asked is "do microsoft and nintendo attempt to block a dev if they want to enable crossplay in their game" and the answer is no.
Last we knew ffxiv cross play was being blocked by Microsoft as they wanted servers for xbox only players as well as the normal shared servers that ps4 and pc have already.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone wants a cross play. The vas majority actually.
there are people who want it
there are many devs who want it
it takes 0 effort on sony's part
they're not allowing it
that's the issue. it's something the competition is offering, the devs who are making online-focused game (specially the smaller games) want it. the other two are allowing it but sony is the road block, and they're not gaining anything by being the roadblock other than negative press.

Jan 17, 2019
there are people who want it
there are many devs who want it
it takes 0 effort on sony's part
they're not doing it
that's the issue. it's something the competition is offering, the devs who are making online-focused game (specially the smaller games) want it. the other two are allowing it but sony is the road block, and they're not gaining anything by being the roadblock other than negative press.

But there are also a people who don't want nor don't care about it. THE VAST MAJORITY don't.
Btw. Sony is doing crossplay actually. It's fucking dumb to say they aren't doing it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah they should allow cross play more consistently. Anyone arguing against it is arguing in favor of a corporation that doesn't care about them. Not sure why one would go to bat for a corporation like that.

Oct 28, 2017
If someone could demonstrate to me a plausible scenario or a plausible mindset of a gamer who decides he will not buy a PlayStation if Sony opens up cross play then I could understand Sony's stance. It would only make sense to me if Sony feels like they would lose even one sale of a PlayStation by enabling full cross play.

I mean really at this point in the generation, pretty much everyone already has their console of choice. And what's the data say about the percentage of people who walk into a store with PlayStation on their mind then turn around walk out with Xbox. It can't be that high of a percentage.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
congrats on missing his critics' point altogether
You will see this a lot in this thread since it is about Sony.

I got all consoles and a PC, my daughter a Switch, my parents own a ps4 and PC. The Ps4s are used less since there are more and more games we can play all together on the others crossplattform

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But there are also a people who don't want nor don't care about it. THE VAST MAJORITY don't.
you can't have both at the same time, it's one or the other
a, you either don't care about it, in which case you also shouldn't care about it if it exists. most cross-play games have options to turn off match-making with people on different platforms.
b, you don't want it, which brings the question why the fuck would you not want it? it has literally 0 effect on you or your gaming habits. it's there for those who want it, for people who don't want it, it's a non-factor. i don't want a lot of things, i'm not gonna ask for them to not exist, most things are super easy to ignore.

Btw. Sony is doing crossplay actually. It's fucking dumb to say they aren't doing it.
they're not doing it for cross play with other consoles (other than a handful of games), while having 0 reasons for not making it possible.

Yeah they should allow cross play more consistently. Anyone arguing against it is arguing in favor of a corporation that doesn't care about them. Not sure why one would go to bat for a corporation like that.
well said.