• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
According to Fntastic, every member of its team is either one of two types of 'volunteer' – a full-time salaried volunteer or a part-time volunteer that helps out and is compensated with non-monetary rewards. The first question most people will ask is what is a full-time salaried volunteer? If you're being paid for a job then you're not a volunteer, you're an employee, a team member, a staff member, or however you want to word it. Given the company is based in Singapore and has team members all over the world, perhaps it's just poor wording on their part.

Where things get a little cloudy is their part-time volunteer explanation, which reads as follows:

"Anyone can be a part-time volunteer to contribute to the Fntastic community and get cool rewards, participation certificates, and free codes. Part-time volunteering at Fntastic includes various activities ranging from translating to community moderating. Part-time volunteers also can offer their unique skills to improve our projects or create new special features."

On the surface it sounds like a neat initiative by the developers to get the community involved and feel included in their projects. However, eyebrows are raised when it talks about stuff that is tied to the game's development – such as translation, and the ability to improve projects and "create new features." While it doesn't explicitly say you'll be contributing to The Day Before, given this is the company's self-proclaimed AAA project, it's hard to imagine what else you'd be helping out on, and for a game that has the backing of publisher Mytona, which is no small fry, it's interesting to see them call upon the community for help. Again, it could simply be poor wording, either way I've reached out to Fntastic for clarification on their volunteer program.

Adum

May 30, 2019
The game looked so sooooo good when they showed that first trailer. But with each new bit of info and announcement they make, I get more and more nervous about this being badly handled ala Anthem/CP2077.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've had a half-cocked eyebrow since this was first shown and I've not yet seen anything to convince me this will be out in less than a year. Wasn't it originally supposed to be out this month? I appreciate that they mentioned switching to UE5 last month but that would have meant that the game was pretty much complete by that point if they hoped to release anywhere near the current period.

Oct 27, 2017
Not familiar with this project or developer but at a cursory read this doesn't sound like anything special?

Full-time volunteer reads like paid short term contract work, not guaranteed to become a long-term member of the team essentially, and part-time volunteer is community moderating and translation and other duties you can agree to. Doesn't sound like anything is being hidden.

It doesn't seem like they're trying to openly exploit people for free development skills, but they'd accept that if someone offered on their own volition- the "special features" mention which is admittedly vague.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A full time salaried volunteer sure doesn't sound like a volunteer. Weird that the article is so positive on it when this all sounds scummy.

Jun 18, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
A full time salaried volunteer sure doesn't sound like a volunteer. Weird that the article is so positive on it when this all sounds scummy.
I wrote the article and I have sought clarification on what exactly the volunteer program is. Until I get that I am not going to throw them over hot coals. Also not sure why you think the article was "positive". There are certainly elements of this game that look suss but no one has/can pre-order it, there has been no crowdfunding, so realistically they've only wasted people's time if the game doesn't exist.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think this has good intentions but it is very odd how they have presented it.

"Paying" someone in codes to redeem the game they'd be working on for free doesn't feel like good intentions; That feels like conscious manipulation of people who don't know any better.

Good intentions would be paying people for the labor they're contributing to what will be sold as a retail product. Things like translation/localization and implementing new game features isn't "let's engage with our fun community" material. I assure you, this is exploitation.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
People can do what they want, of course, but if you're doing unpaid volunteer work for a for-profit company to help them get a product to retail market...you're kind of being exploited

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess one can await the team's reply, but it doesn't sound good from this alone.

Like the author, I don't want to think negatively immediately... but it's uncomfortably common to see translation + localization being seen as something one should do for essentially free for some reason.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It sounds like they simply want to get the community involved, I don't know want to assume it's exploitation without getting clarification

They're asking for labor for something that they will profit off of without proper compensation. This is just exploitation 101, and it's very effective in creative works because people use passion to pressure people into taking exploitative positions.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I hope to god this doesn't turn out to be another scam

They don't have a good history

Jun 18, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
They're asking for labor for something that they will profit off of without proper compensation. This is just exploitation 101, and it's very effective in creative works because people use passion to pressure people into taking exploitative positions.
If they're asking for labour without pay then I mean, what else would you call that?
I guess what I meant was that I view it as Fntastic trying to get the community involved. Kinda like street teams for bands back in the day. I hoped it was more an honest mistake than being exploitive. They've told me that unpaid volunteers don't work on "code writing, or development itself". However, clearly localisation is part of the process so there are some issues there but I'm trying to get further clarification.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I guess what I meant was that I view it as Fntastic trying to get the community involved. Kinda like street teams for bands back in the day. I hoped it was more an honest mistake than being exploitive. They've told me that unpaid volunteers don't work on "code writing, or development itself". However, clearly localisation is part of the process so there are some issues there but I'm trying to get further clarification.

It's giving too much credit in the first place (to put it gently) if there are plain signs that "getting the community involved" means "actively organizing and courting unpaid labor for a retail product."

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
lmao this is that scam game that was clearly using canned footage and trying to pass it off as actual gameplay in its trailers.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico

Exactly. If they had good intentions, then they'd be offering some kind of monetary compensation.

I don't know who this company is, but even small studios or startups trying to do something they don't have the financial backing to achieve are usually transparent about the risks and offer some kind of compensation or reward to the people who help out, even if it's a small advance alongside a royalty share or something.

Hell, even dream chasing newbies who are all passion and no experience who are trying to put teams together, on projects that really, really, aren't likely to go anywhere, tend to have some kind of promise of compensation.

That they're offering nothing and phrasing it as an opportunity to get involved is really dodgy.

Last edited:

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
This is 'Tom Clancy's The Multiplication', right? I really hope it turns out great but it always looked a biiit dodgy since its announcement.