• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I don't.

As I said earlier, you don't randomly encrypt normal non-critical (as in, not e.g. a password or a credit card number) information generated during the execution of a program expecting that some spyware grabs it. (And at the same time, "non-critical" doesn't mean "free for all", especially not under GDPR)

And no, I do not agree with the "everyone should encrypt everything" idea. It reduces performance, reduces the mallability and portability of data, reduces user insight into and control of what exactly which applications stores, and generally just isn't necessary if ostensibly trustworthy programs like EGS don't act like spyware.
Co-signed. This is ridiculous, and useless at any rate unless you contaminate Steam client with some "Trusted"/Treacherous Computing DRM BS since our not so hypothetical perpetrator can decode the data in question in the exact same way Steam client does, or maybe even read it our of Steam's RAM if some deep cover rootkit supposedly installled for anticheat reasons is involved.

The problem is not that EGS client reads that data, it's that it doesn't ask whether to read it. If it would ask, explain, and accept a denial I would personally be fine with it. I would be even fine with EGS uploading library info for market research if they weren't sneaky about it.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I completely disagree with the notion that Valve is in any way to blame here. If you argue that Epic shouldn't have had the capability to do this, then you go into an encryption arms race where in the end you, the owner of your machine, can't touch anything anymore. That's the antithesis of what PC is about.

I mean, this isn't just Steam we're talking about. This about them joyfully looking for personal data in your own computer when the golden rule of software programming and level zero of common sense is that you just don't do that shit. They could have looked for any other data, for word documents or images that you yourself created. The argument in favor of generalized encryption is insane and destructive to the openness of the PC ecosystem.

The blame is squarely on Epic and this is one more instance of them poisoning the well once again. They've done a lot of harm already and I hope they will be held accountable.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I meant Epic Game Store not epic as company

Lol no. I'd bet most people could care less or even know about this outside of forum dwellers. This store will most likely thrive in the end.

I remember when origin launched it was really rough with a ton of things that irked folks. People said they would never install it. I bet most of those people ended up with origin installed.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Is Epic so butthurt competitive that they won't even ask Valve for an API lol

Pretty sure Valve isn't really being particularly negligent by having that file out. It's fairly common and I like having access to those kinds of things, personally.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Is Epic so butthurt competitive that they won't even ask Valve for an API lol

Pretty sure Valve isn't really being particularly negligent by having that file out. It's fairly common and I like having access to those kinds of things, personally.

I mean they even don't want to put Steam logo on their account linking page.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Tim here is saying he is taking all the decision on behalf of Epic, while Tencent is a minority share holder.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...ears_to_collect_your_steam/eik6bhp/?context=3
On twitter he has said "Tencent's directors are super valuable contributors whose advise and participation helped make Epic what it is today. "
On follow up reply denies Tencent doesn't dictate on decision's.

All this lead's me to believe that although Tencent doesn't dictate decision making in Epic their contribution as minority shareholder is huge in influencing what decision's they make.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The irony is that the closest alternative to having all your files closed down is:
UWP

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
You could definitely read it that way.

So many of those statements he has made are easy to pick apart:

"The software accesses the file but that's different than sending it to Epic's servers, where Epic could do something with it. The last part only happens if you decide to import Steam friends."

That's completely besides the point, they are still storing data without user permission and have lied about what that data involves (saying it's only friends ID's which we all know is a lie) and also, the only proof we have that Epic aren't doing anything with this data is their word and their word alone.

"We didn't lose our teeth we just decided that it wasn't productive to bite people in every situation."

Roughly translates to "We pick and choose what we think is worth calling out and because we want Epic to survive at any costs we will ignore or dismiss any of their wrongdoings as a side effect of trying to bring competition to the PC market and since we don't like Steams policies we feel morally justified to ignore the corruption going on at Epic even if it is anti-consumer."

"Here's the article we wrote about Epic signing up exclusives, in which we say that the Epic Game Store is rubbish and the exclusives are a bad way about building an audience: link to rockpapershotgun.com

Just because we don't want to join an anti-Epic crusade because you want to buy your games on Steam doesn't mean we are being paid by Epic.

Regarding Steam? Yeah, we're critical of them. They're also the first store we link for pretty much every game we write about? And Unknown Pleasures on a Friday is exclusively about Steam games? And we run Steam Charts on Mondays? And we were very critical of Steam when it launched and was rubbish and have praised its very many updates and improvements over the past ten years? And we're critical of it now because it has problems, still, just as we've been critical of the Epic Game Store? There's no shortage of pro-Steam coverage around here. It is the de facto platform holder on PC, for better and worse.

As for this story: we're not making excuses, we're just reporting the full context of what has happened rather than working ourselves into a lather based on misinformation and conjecture. Is software looking at data beyond its remit bad? Yes, but the conclusions leapt to in much of the discussion around this are all based on very little, and inspired by ill-feeling towards Epic as much as they are the actual misuse of data. The explanations given by Epic are reasonable. And frankly: Steam and Origin have both been accused of doing similar things with data in years past, to much less fury, and have given similar answers to Epic."

I mean, even the article he posted is hand waving to a certain degree but ignoring that, he basically is saying the only reason people are being "Anti-Epic" is because people want to buy their games on steam, that right there alone is already showing his bias towards Epic and his dislike towards Valve and the consumers who use it.

He then goes on to justify that dislike by saying that they are fair because

"They're also the first store we link for pretty much every game we write about?"

but then says

"It is the de facto platform holder on PC, for better and worse."

in other words admitting that, if it wasn't the de facto platform holder then their coverage would not be anywhere near as extensive on steam games.

Let's face it, if they didn't cover games on steam, they wouldn't have much to write about would they? Therefore the idea that they have plenty of "Pro steam coverage" is redundant because it's essentially the default choice for them, hence why they are happy if Epic displace them, not for competition or the good of the consumer but because they dislike Valve and their policies.

He then goes on to say

"As for this story: we're not making excuses, we're just reporting the full context of what has happened rather than working ourselves into a lather based on misinformation and conjecture."

Well, I hate to break it to him but, it's not based on conjecture, it's based on factual evidence that can be replicated to which the original author did not bother to fact check and he is making excuses because he then goes on to say that
"Is software looking at data beyond its remit bad? Yes, but the conclusions leapt to in much of the discussion around this are all based on very little, and inspired by ill-feeling towards Epic as much as they are the actual misuse of data. The explanations given by Epic are reasonable. And frankly: Steam and Origin have both been accused of doing similar things with data in years past, to much less fury, and have given similar answers to Epic."

That entire paragraph is handwaving and victim blaming not to mention factually inaccurate, he also fails to provide any evidence of either Steam or Origin doing anything of this nature, so I am going to need to see those receipts tbh.

Basically TLDR, RPS have hugely let themselves down here and clearly shown that they aren't interested in impartial reporting on this matter, they dislike Steam therefore whatever Epic does can be forgiven because the end justifies the means (even though the end aka Epic becoming the PC market leader, in its current state, would be terrible for the consumer.)

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
[QUOTE="Relik7, post: 18893757, member: 54808"He admits that this is private user data and yet still doesn't commit to protecting it. It's just mind boggling. I know, Epic is the data thief, but Steam left the door open with all your possessions in clear view.[/QUOTE]
You know who are you protect your files against?
Thieves and other criminals. You are insisting that Epic is one of them.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I started a thread about Tim Sweeney a long time ago in an attempt to point out how much of a hypocrite he is, but I made the mistake of mentioning the Windows Store, so everyone naturally thought that my whole beef with the guy centered around UWP. The guy makes bad decisions that set a bad precedent, period.

The irony is that the closest alternative to having all your files closed down is:
UWP
You were wise to put that in spoiler tags here. XD

That was my immediate thought, as well. I do think Valve could simply encrypt certain content, though, forcing companies to rely on its APIs, instead.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Not really but they are treating it like normal competition move. Also they are saying that developers went to Epic Store and made their games exclusive because they offer them higher revenue share. And we know that that is lie.

And no one brings up that all other competitors to Steam use the proper channels with the Steam API.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh let them have it, I just use their shitty storefront to play free games.

This doesn't mean Valve shouldn't sue them. :)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'd like to but I'm done giving them clicks. A shame, I used to hold Eurogamer in relatively high regard. Now they're Nathan Grayson-tier for me.

Just until 2 years ago, you could always count on Polygon to do hot-takes and generally make bad-faith articles or be blatant hyperbolic and sometimes even bending the truth. Eurogamer, PC Gamer, and RPS were the counter-balance.
Today, all those 3 got shitty.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has me rolling. Sue them? For what?

Competing software has imported each other's settings for decades.
Usually with the use of official API's, or only with customer consent.

Epic are doing neither. They are scanning private files before anyone gives them permission to do so, and bypassing privacy settings in the process.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This has me rolling. Sue them? For what?

Competing software has imported each other's settings for decades.
Keyloggers and Spyware exist since decades, they should be legal by now. Competition! /s

Actually Epic violates the GDPR so I can definately see them getting sued in the EU.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Usually with the use of official API's, or only with customer consent.

Epic are doing neither.

Still not seeing how or why Valve should sue them. Official APIs are for the convenience of others to use your product and the customer is a non-factor to Valve suing them.

Keyloggers and Spyware exist since decades, they should be legal by now. Competition! /s

Actually Epic violates the GDPR so I can definately see them getting sued in the EU.

Sure, by the EU. Not by Valve.

Does GPDR cover collection of data on a local machine? Is Windows in breach because it knows about the files that other software installs?

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Still not seeing how or why Valve should sue them. Official APIs are for the convenience of others to use your product and the customer is a non-factor to Valve suing them.

Sure, by the EU. Not by Valve.

Does GPDR cover collection of data on a local machine? Is Windows in breach because it knows about the files that other software installs?
GDPR covers all collection of data. And it's not the EU who does the suing but rather member state data protection authorities.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
GDPR covers all collection of data. And it's not the EU who does the suing but rather member state data protection authorities.

That is patently false. For instance, GDPR only applies to certain scopes of data (personal/identifying information, for example) and has clear exemptions.

This law stack exchange post sort of falls under the same umbrella but I don't know how trustworthy it is. 99.9% of GDPR knowledge out there applies to data that is transmitted between client and server. I really can't fathom this applying to simply moving data around on a user's PC given that has no actual bearing on data protection.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is patently false. For instance, GDPR only applies to certain scopes of data (personal/identifying information, for example) and has clear exemptions.

This law stack exchange post sort of falls under the same umbrella but I don't know how trustworthy it is. 99.9% of GDPR knowledge out there applies to data that is transmitted between client and server. I really can't fathom this applying to simply moving data around on a user's PC given that has no actual bearing on data protection.
Something like a SteamID is a personalized data because you can easily find the matching Steam profile. Please point me to the Opt-In where Epic asked you if Epic is allowed to collect that personalized data of yours otherwise it's as clear of a breach as it just can get. It comes down to the question "did Epic ask if you if YOU want to share your Steam info with them" and the answer is an obvious: no.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Something like a SteamID is a personalized data because you can easily find the matching Steam profile. Please point me to the Opt-In where Epic asked you if Epic is allowed to collect that personalized data of yours otherwise it's as clear of a breach as it just can get. It comes down to the question "did Epic ask if you if YOU want to share your Steam info with them" and the answer is an obvious: no.

I haven't followed this super closely so please point out to me if they're actually transmitting your Steam data without consent. OP says:

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.
The distinction that I'm trying to make here is that making copies of files on your machine without transmitting them anywhere does not qualify as collection. If it doesn't leave your machine then your information was not shared with Epic.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I literally just did a training course on GDPR for work which also included data stored on personal machines, and even physical data records. It's not just client-server.

Something like a steam ID would also count as identifiable information

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed this super closely so please point out to me if they're actually transmitting your Steam data without consent. OP says:
Usually something like this would require an investigation into their code to ensure that they're actually doing what they say they're doing.

You can't just take their word for it. They had the option of using API to access this information without resorting to this method, so it's suspect as fuck, especially when one of the leads behind the store is the man behind Steamspy.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Under GDPR, mere collection of personal data HAS to have consent. European users CAN sue Epic for this violation. And ot wouldn't hurt Steam to secure their file as well.
Secure their file? From other code running on the local system?

This is pc land, we're in chroot/jail/docker territory if we want that (I haven't used windows in years, not even sure what that os supports)

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secure their file? From other code running on the local system?

This is pc land, we're in chroot/jail/docker territory if we want that (I haven't used windows in years, not even sure what that os supports)
I think docker works on Windows too.

If not, then W10 has its own sandboxing tool, and you can also do a kind of sandbox by running progams under a different user with different permissions, like how itch.io Sandboxes things on Windows. (Itch uses firejail on Linux)

I would prefer we don't get to a point where everything needs to be encrypted or run in separate sandboxes. I miss the days of only weird untrustworthy .exe's and spyware being the things people needed to worry about. Not a fucking game client from a large multinational.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim here is saying he is taking all the decision on behalf of Epic, while Tencent is a minority share holder.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...ears_to_collect_your_steam/eik6bhp/?context=3
On twitter he has said "Tencent's directors are super valuable contributors whose advise and participation helped make Epic what it is today. "
On follow up reply denies Tencent doesn't dictate on decision's.

All this lead's me to believe that although Tencent doesn't dictate decision making in Epic their contribution as minority shareholder is huge in influencing what decision's they make.

"Tencent's directors are super valuable contributors whose advise and participation helped make Epic what it is today. " A unlikeable entity?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
At this point why in the world would you take Tim Sweeney and Epic at their word? That's just plain stupid.

Also, (unrelated to quoted post) Tencent is a minority shareholder? Technically it is true as 40% is a minority (probably diluted after latest round of financing) but it is substantial enough to ensure that their word weighs heavily. Tim Sweeney is just so full of shit.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
There's no reason to assume there was any money transfer involved. It's a natural consequence of writers in the games industry -- even good ones -- generally having zero journalistic or analytic training. That means their "reporting" amounts to picking low-hanging fruit and reproducing superficial impressions, which favors companies that invest heavily in PR and carefully control their public image. Valve very explicitly does not do this, so you get, e.g., completely incoherent takes parroting Epic's claims to be great for the "little guy" compared to Steam, when the actual little guy isn't even allowed on Epic's storefront.
Sure, generally issues of journalistic training / capability is a problem. But lets not kid ourselves here. $$$ is certainly a part of it, whether in sponsorship cash, ads or in case of YouTube "influencers" outright bribe in the form of sales percentage cut.

RPS team (and PC gamer till a few years back) was usually level headed. So all of a sudden we got softballs and "Epic" coverage. Yeah, it's not just because of lack of journalistic training. That one I will attribute to Sterling (plus just natural desire on his part to stir the pot I am sure).

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just did a training course on GDPR for work which also included data stored on personal machines, and even physical data records. It's not just client-server.

Something like a steam ID would also count as identifiable information
Yeah that's true. I work for a school and we can't have the school registers up on the board as it contains the students personal information.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Sure, generally issues of journalistic training / capability is a problem. But lets not kid ourselves here. $$$ is certainly a part of it, whether in sponsorship cash, ads or in case of YouTube "influencers" outright bribe in the form of sales percentage cut.

RPS team (and PC gamer till a few years back) was usually level headed. So all of a sudden we got softballs and "Epic" coverage. Yeah, it's not just because of lack of journalistic training. That one I will attribute to Sterling (plus just natural desire on his part to stir the pot I am sure).

Other than 'influencers', it would never be direct cash exchange. It's a ludicrous idea that a publisher would talk directly to and offer money directly to a writer. (not say you or others were infering that. I just want that stated to clear that idea off of the table asap)

Now, saying that... pissing off a known and big advertiser hurts the bottom line. They can choose not to buy ads or supply review/promotional items in the future. That stings. Now if Epic is throwing around cash for exclusives at whim, who's to say they aren't going on a massive advertisement buying spree across the major sites? Infact, they would to promote their new service. That's not even a question. Marketing department at these sites sees a huge increase in their ad revenue.

Pissing off a portion of your reader base wouldn't effect the bottom line. Hell, all that matters is they clicked on your site or video. Sometimes, people who strongly dislike your content click more than people who simply like your content. The readers/viewers are just a metric for news sites and videos. That's all.

So who do you lean towards? The group that funds your company or the group that is a metric to get more groups to fund your company? Forget the single writer... who does your editor lean towards?

Last edited:

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland

GDPR covers all collection of personal data, thanks for pointing out I left word "personal". Any data that can be used in a way to identify a person is PII. GDPR has exemptions but local legislations can elect to make the regulation rules stricter and the scope of GDPR is damn broad. It's not just client-server. But I'll be sure to bring this up with legal scholars that research gdpr so we can have a good answer for you.

The problem here is that it gathers the data and it may transfer it all, we don't know what it actually transfers, and I've learned that corporations aren't exactly trustworthy about what information they are actually transferring. In this case, we only have Sweeney's word and nothing else.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, dunno about PCGamer, but throwaway snark about Steam being bad has been a standard feature of RPS articles for years.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, there are more than grounds for a citizen report on Epic to the EU and they would get a giant fine.
I'm thinking of reporting it to my local regulator, everyone should do the same. The case will escalate to the European court.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, dunno about PCGamer, but throwaway snark about Steam being bad has been a standard feature of RPS articles for years.

There is saying Steam needs to improve.

And there is excusing something really bad because it happened to Steam and 'we need compeition'

They used to do the former, now they are doing the latter.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My bad if I have absolutely no worries or fucks to give about this, I just see this as more fuel to feed your unreasonable hate to the Epic Games Store. Companies have been stoling our data for literal years, from our hard drives (with software and access WE allow) and our social media, using the exact same methods, and now, just NOW we should worry?

If you truly care about your privacy you might as well dissapear from the internet already. Nuke your social media and move to UK and ask for the right to be forgotten. Otherwise we are all already fucked.
You give no fucks about this yet you still posted in the thread? I usually dont post in something I supposedly dont give a fuck about