• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
CEO possibly behind controversial data collection behavior
Epic Games CEO and Founder Tim Sweeney also chimed in to answer some of the gamers' questions on Reddit, stating that "Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it."

Sweeney said that the current way of collecting client Steam info from users' computers is actually his fault:

"You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It's actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it.
We don't use the Steam API because we work to minimize the number of third-party libraries we include in our products due to security and privacy concerns (not from Valve specifically, but see e.g. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/22/ios-apps-sending-private-data-to-facebook/ for the general concern of APIs collecting more data than expected)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

Still doesn't explain why their data scarping throws such wide net and they decided to ignore Steam API because secure concerns, but totally trust Steam API to be secure? Okay?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust anything Sweeney says. Dude has proven countless times he is a fucking liar.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wouldn't trust anything Sweeney says. Dude has proven countless times he is a fucking liar.

Why he would on record lie that they made deliberate choice not to utilize Steam API and go digging around Steam data with their own code? That would be absolutely stupid lie to make and...well.. doing it like they did is also immensely stupid.

In that article Valve also condemns this action taken by Epic and says no 3rd party software has any right to access that data like Epic does.

Edit: I wish some more better known gaming outlets covered this, because holy shit...

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

Still doesn't explain why their data scarping throws such wide net and they decided to ignore Steam API because secure concerns, but totally trust Steam API to be secure? Okay?
I'm more concerned about the fact that as far as I'm aware, they didn't suffer any repercussions for knowingly doing this, and a vast majority of the people I'm seeing discussing this are blaming Valve for putting that data there in the first place.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why he would on record lie that they made deliberate choice not to utilize Steam API and go digging around Steam data with their own code? That would be absolutely stupid lie to make and...well.. doing it like they did is also immensely stupid.

In that article Valve also condemns this action taken by Epic and says no 3rd party software has any right to access that data like Epic does.

Edit: I wish some more better known gaming outlets covered this, because holy shit...
Well, Sweeney has proven he will do anything to get what he wants. Of course, he could also be telling the truth and it was all an accident on his part.

Like you said, wish this was covered more. I really want to know if this was done with the intent of spying EGS users.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm more concerned about the fact that as far as I'm aware, they didn't suffer any repercussions for knowingly doing this, and a vast majority of the people I'm seeing discussing this are blaming Valve for putting that data there in the first place.

I think that because major outlets literally refuse to cover any of this it has resulted e.g. EU body not to learn about this. What kind data EGS is scraping without proper notification or approval of user could be GDPR violation by itself, especially now that Valve has straight said that they view user data within their client installation to be private user data.

Could Valve get into some hot water too? Maybe, but same time we could soon see Valve starting to ecrypt a lots of data Steam handles because of what Epic has been doing.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the complaints about some of the stuff Epic has done (courting exclusives) but this is definitely something I find concerning. I saw Epic's response and glad this was brought to light.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't understand the complaints about some of the stuff Epic has done (courting exclusives) but this is definitely something I find concerning. I saw Epic's response and glad this was brought to light.

They knew what they were doing, they did it and knew what all kinds of data they are scraping from Steam without using intended API. Just because and without intention to stop.

Then they got caught and are promising to fix it.

Sweeney even says that and it just makes it worse, "Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it."

data

Oct 25, 2017
Any updates here? We're not allowed to discuss epic store in other news threads so sorry for the Necro bump

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool. So I don't have to worry too much of it going through other files.

Any way to block the tracking since it's a desktop web app? Don't think there's a desktop adblock

You could theoretically run all your desktop traffic through a local proxy and drop anything going to certain domains you specify but there will likely be a performance hit to your regular internet traffic.

There's a lot of tracking in Windows 10 ("telemetry" and others) as well. It's a pandora's box if you want to go down that route.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: on second thought, I don't want to deal with this šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited: