• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Yo this isn't acceptable. I had it installed for the free games but I don't care anymore. Just uninstalled the launcher.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where in my post did I say it wasn't beneficial. I said it was harmless. If you can't even read a basic post and respond logically I'd imagine you need to worry about your own job not mine.

"Why can't you respond logically?" claims user who describes a Chinese-backed company collecting data without consent "harmless"

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Let me insist harder on that refund for Dauntless. I'm not going to be $60 in the hole because they decided to transfer to EGS.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no

Where in my post did I say it wasn't beneficial. I said it was harmless. If you can't even read a basic post and respond logically I'd imagine you need to worry about your own job not mine.
Oh i am sorry, I am not a native english speaker as it is my third language so i might have misread what you said, Can you please clarify what you meant when you posted this?

Please tell me how that could give them an edge over steam I'm dying to know.

Break it down for me will you?

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
"Why can't you respond logically?" claims user who describes a Chinese-backed company collecting data without consent "harmless"
All of this outrage over friends list and games list. Like yeah the outrage seems very illogical to me. Again rationally speaking this is not a big deal. To me.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
"The data we know they're collecting without consent is harmless" is the wrong response. The correct one is, "What other data are they collecting without consent?".

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
I mean, this could easily be used to find developers testing unreleased games with a Steam repo, and find their Steam account.

You can't really get better moneyhat research than that.

Hey, I am reading the thread but having to deal with some phonecalls at the same time so my attention isn't the best, but at this point is it confirmed that the Data is sent? This is already looking bad from every angle, I just want clarification on that bit, because the moneyhatting alone is already kinda crap, even the new game from Hyper Light Drifters dev would have to wait, their pricing customs ain't the best in my place from what I've seen so far, but this would pretty much settle it me not touching their store anytime soon, exclusives or not.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you didn't install it, one of your steam friends probably did which included you with it :O

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
"The data we know they're collecting without consent is harmless" is the wrong response. The correct one is, "What other data are they collecting without consent?".
Well the OP already has a list of what data they are collecting and how to verify it so yeah that's pretty much it.

It's OK to be wrong sometimes. We all make mistakes. Sometimes I forget to put the milk back in the fridge, sometimes you excuse GDPR violating data collection practices as harmless, it happens to the best of us.
Do we even know if the app does this in GDPR countries yet? Shocker I know but the majority of the world doesn't live* in GDPR territories. It isn't some moral metric of data collection or some world wide bar that must be met.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If we're using our work cred, well, I have experience in the field of data science. What they are doing is, at the very least, not ethical.

Hell, it's frustrating to think I (a lowly coder from a, by comparison to Epic, small and humble business) spent so many stressful hours trying to be GDPR-compliant despite the unlikeliness of us ever being targeted by fines, when huge companies with a money-printing machine like Fortnite can just flip the bird towards regulations willy-nilly.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this sounds like a big deal. Some real scummy shit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Do we think Tencent insisted on this kind of strategy, and are receiving the data too?

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
If we're using our work cred, well, I have experience in the field of data science. What they are doing is, at the very least, not ethical.

Hell, it's frustrating to think I (a lowly coder from a, by comparison to Epic, small and humble business) spent so many stressful hours trying to be GDPR-compliant despite the unlikeliness of us ever being targeted by fines, when huge companies with a money-printing machine like Fortnite can just flip the bird towards regulations willy-nilly.
But do you OWN a business tho?
530187250080940073.png

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
User Banned (3 days): trolling
Why should we allow any company to do covert illegal data collection?

And why do you support it?
More hyperbole. Please list said American laws this breaks. As this is where I live and where I'm posting from. GDPR is an extremely niche law effecting a minority of the webs population.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect this makes those comments about how EGS users not having Steam installed make much more sense in regards to how they could even track that.

The stupidest part though is that if they just had been upfront, most people would not care but instead they set this time bomb up for no reason.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I never installed this piece of shit software for the free games. Just adds yet another reason to never buy from the EGS, and I hope something overtakes Fortnite's popularity so Epic wont have so much money to throw around for purchasing exclusives, preventing real competition with their anti-consumer crap store/launcher.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Jeez, those free games were supposed to be enticing people to use their store, but then those people willing to give them some sort of chance just got stabbed in the back with this.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we even know if the app does this in GDPR countries yet? Shocker I know but the majority of the world doesn't live* in GDPR territories. It isn't some moral metric of data collection or some world wide bar that must be met.

I'd really like to know what business you run if you think there's no moral bar for data collection. WOW.

WOW.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Sure I understand. But to recommend something they need to know that game number 21032138 is X. They cannot do it without processing that data online. Unless they upload SteamsDB to your pc.

Yes, I did mention they'd need a local index of known title IDs, mapping those IDs to some basic metadata about the game. Would be doable, and wouldn't have to be terribly large.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
So, Epic, what else are you collecting? Isn't this like mega illegal in the EU now?

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Uninstalled, thanks for the heads up. RIP slime rancher but I guess I'll pick it up on steam during a sale.

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect this makes those comments about how EGS users not having Steam installed make much more sense in regards to how they could even track that.

The stupidest part though is that if they just had been upfront, most people would not care but instead they set this time bomb up for no reason.

Just checking if steam is installed would be a lot more minor

Even if you didn't install it, one of your steam friends probably did which included you with it :O
your steam friend ID sure (which I think even private profiles might show--private mostly hides games & friends, right?). It wouldn't have the game/saves listing and stuff. Not as bad as, say, the Cambridge Analytica thing where FB let other people opt you in to full data remittance lol. That was a classic.

Do we think Tencent insisted on this kind of strategy, and are receiving the data too?

I almost can't imagine they're not involved, but I also can't imagine they'd ever tell us if that was the case.