• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Obligatory "fuck Epic" mention, but that Steam Cloud part seems like a pretty big security vulnerability with Steam if it's making some sort of API call rather than reading files from local storage.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point not only will i never install the launcher, also any game that goes epic exclusive (timed or not) is a no-buy for me, even on other platforms.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opting in to this is one thing, Having it done behind the scenes is another thing entirely
Sums it up pretty nicely. I have no problem with anybody having a look at my games and playtime. Hence why my Steam Profile is public, but reading this stuff without even asking via another Launcher is dirty as fuck.

I hope they get flag for it. That said, I'll still use the Launcher.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Collecting this data helps us to support developers make better games.
It also allows us to maintain our 12% revenue share offsetting some of our cost by selling the data to Facebook.
Sometimes, tricks like these are nessecary to obtain the ressources required to beat a behemoth like "Steam".
I assure you, you all will benefit by this in the long run.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
giphy.gif

First post wins again!

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
All Steam profiles were set to private after GDPR. I can't see what games my friends own unless they change it manually, and most people haven't bothered setting their profiles to public again. If i understand correctly this bypasses that?
If so that is very slimy.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So they have security issues up the whazoo AND they mine your computer and steam client for your friends and play history? Jesus fuck, that's a recipe for disaster right there, and potentially illegal!

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
This is really bad. Even if you don't care about them having that information it's the fucking principle of taking it without asking.

Oct 28, 2017
What if you are developer working on a game which will be on Steam and also have Epic Launcher installed in that same system?

Would Epic capture that data?

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
This sounds unnaceptable, they should not be prying into my computer at all for other programs besides their owns, and this targetting steam specially makes it sounds way scummy, they are making me measures positives and negatives of their service a lot more than they should be. My Steam Library/Purchases should not be simply taken without asking, I know Greenmangaming's profile system does that, but they specifically ask that you do so if you link accounts if I remember. (Memories inconclusive, still more respectful/legal than this way though)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
they've demonstrated they have 0 issues scrapping your pc for info, this is probably the tip of the iceberg.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Wasnt this a thing already? The moment they talked about the % of their base that didnt use steam was pretty obvious they were taking data from u,
on the other hand, like any big company nowadays.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If it were opt-in after you allowed the launcher to import your Steam friends, that'd be one thing. But stealthily like that, and the playtimes.... yeah, that's sketchy as fuck.

Any indication of that in their ToS/PP?

Also, has this been tested on private Steam profiles?

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
If it's truly not opt-in (there's probably some TOS nonsense hidden in there) then yes it's a problem. But for me personally all that information is public domain for me.
I think automatically gathering this information without a, by default, un-checked opt-in box is a violation of GDPR.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
This is their privacy website. https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/privacypolicy

Of particular note is section 2

(2) Information Collected Automatically When You Use Our Websites, Games, and Applications
We collect some information automatically when you visit our websites or use our games, game engines, and applications. If a combination of information that we collect does identify you as an individual, we will treat the combined information as personal information. We typically aggregate the data that we collect automatically and use it in statistical form to determine trends among groups of users, rather than using it to identify individuals.
We collect information automatically through technologies such as web browsers, cookies, log files, web beacons, and our back-end servers collect usage data transmitted from our games and other software. We use the information for purposes such as modifying or improving features, managing advertising, addressing technical issues, preventing fraud or misuse of our services, and conducting data analytics. The type of information that we automatically collect may vary, but generally includes:
  • Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access the Internet or our services, such as IP address or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system related specifications);
  • Usage information and statistics about your interaction with our websites, games, game engines, and applications, which may include the URLs of our websites that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, platform type, the application you used or the game you played, how long you used or played it and when, and other usage statistics;
  • Crash reports, which may be automatically generated when a game or application crashes and includes information about your system and the crash;
  • Information that facilitates a safer and more personalized experience, such as your display name or other user identification provided in connection with your application use or game play, saved preferences, game progress, and device identifiers or usage information for authentication and fraud prevention purposes;
  • The location of your device, such as may be derived from your device's IP address.
Please note that if certain features on our website are provided by third parties, those third parties may also use automated means of data collection and may record information about your use of our website or others' websites over time. These features are subject to those third parties' privacy notices and policies.

Oct 26, 2017
Collecting this data helps us to support developers make better games.
It also allows us to maintain our 12% revenue share offsetting some of our cost by selling the data to Facebook.
Sometimes, tricks like these are nessecary to obtain the ressources required to beat a behemoth like "Steam".
I assure you, you all will benefit by this in the long run.
this a /s post?

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's important to mention that they have done this long before the EGS started. I found files from June 2018. At this time i installed the mod tools (UE) via the Epic Launcher for Bus Simulator 18.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've uninstalled the Epic Launcher from my system until this is cleared up. I understand a lot of software/apps do similar things, but I do what I can to minimize it.

OP
OP
Madjoki

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I'm wrong but this is done without even linking your Steam friends list, correct?

Opting in to this is one thing, Having it done behind the scenes is another thing entirely.

Correct to option is there:

QWymuVx.png

PRQiZEp.png

Somehow they even refuse to show Steam's logo, which is weird.

But even though I don't have anything linked, it's already collecting this information.

And it's even plausibly good feature for many, but pre-emptively collecting is bit shady at least. (And keeping historical copies).

Obligatory "fuck Epic" mention, but that Steam Cloud part seems like a pretty big security vulnerability with Steam if it's making some sort of API call rather than reading files from local storage.

Just to be clear, it is reading from local synced copy of steam cloud.

Also, has this been tested on private Steam profiles?

Since it reads local files, it wouldn't even know if profile is private or not. (Using official API would deny on private profiles)

Sir TapTap

Oct 27, 2017
Not to excuse it but this stuff is public by default in Steam, right? I bet that was part of their logic, but Steam does let you opt out of it being public. Anyone test it on public/non-public steam accts?

And even then since it looks like it's doing it before you connect to steam, eesh.

It's important to mention that they have done this long before the EGS started. I found files from June 2018. At this time i installed the mod tools (UE) via the Epic Launcher for Bus Simulator 18.

Yeah, it's the same launcher but updated--I just updated my epic launcher from when I was messing with UE. Hard to say when it was added then

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to excuse it but this stuff is public by default in Steam, right? I bet that was part of their logic, but Steam does let you opt out of it being public. Anyone test it on public/non-public steam accts?

Yeah, it's the same launcher but updated--I just updated my epic launcher from when I was messing with UE. Hard to say when it was added then
This stuff is private by default on Steam, and has been for I think over a year now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
lol not showing the Steam logo (but showing the Facebook one) is kinda petty.
But even though I don't have anything linked, it's already collecting this information.
Yeah this is very bad...
Since it reads local files, it wouldn't even know if profile is private or not. (Using official API would deny on private profiles)
Yeah I thought, perhaps it at least queries the API to find out if a profile is private or not before collecting this info, or perhaps there's one Steam file that contains such a flag that can tell them if it's private (and then they stop collecting if it is) but... yeah, I wasn't really expecting them to even respect this to begin with. xD

Sir TapTap

Oct 27, 2017
lol not showing the Steam logo (but showing the Facebook one) is kinda petty.

I have no idea if it was developer's fault or Epic's fault, but when Axiom Verge launched all files with "steam" in the name were deleted from the game including the sound for steam vents--so the game crashed when you entered the area with them lol. Long since fixed though, just always thought that was funny.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any evidence that they're sending any of this data back to their servers, or is it hypothetically possible they're only using this data locally? It's pretty shady regardless to do this without disclosure, but it's a much bigger deal if it's the former.