• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Also, shouldn't be faster a call to the Steam API which gives you exactly what you need, that accessing a several hundred MB file, read it and filter the data you need?
It would be faster, but it would not bypass the steam profile privacy setting that valve put in place after GDPR, so if epic used the Steam API they'd get less data /shrug.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the VGM thing were true, I wonder how up-front they've been about the numbers. The whole thing about EGS is that Epic are trying to flip people who don't use Steam into becoming more general PC gamers, rather than pure Fortnite players. But extrapolation of numbers from a self-reporting survey isn't very specific, and every "news" article about the percentage of Fortnite players who don't use Steam has been pretty definite on those percentages. VGM and Epic could have teamed up to offer Fortnite rewards for every survey response, but if they had it would've leaked long ago. So I wonder what the MoE is on those numbers, and whether devs have been informed of the imperfect nature of the data. I would assume they had, but considering the amaturish nature of some of this... *shrug emoji*

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
Apologies if this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but has anyone tried linking their Steam friends up, and then seeing if the Epic launcher still does the same thing with their Steam data? Surely if it is just a workaround for getting friends' data, then it would only ever need to do this scraping the once?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I just scrolled through Tim Sweeneys twitter and I have to say, not only is it apparent that he wants a single PC market ecosystem similar to consoles to buy games from but it's also apparent that he is a hypocrite based on what he has said in the past, he has a very anti-consumer outlook now.

Not only that but he denies that Steamspy is involved with Epic, which I find very hard to believe.

Call me paranoid but I don't trust him.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
I just scrolled through Tim Sweeneys twitter and I have to say, not only is it apparent that he wants a single PC market ecosystem similar to consoles to buy games from but it's also apparent that he is a hypocrite based on what he has said in the past, he has a very anti-consumer outlook now.

Not only that but he denies that Steamspy is involved with Epic, which I find very hard to believe.

He's probably passing on all the details to the Chinese via Tencent as well.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

They employee the person who created SteamSpy,. Him saying they don't have anything to do with it is just straight out lying. Why is no one calling him out? Oh right, because they bought everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the official comment from epic sounds... reasonable? The conversation here and the content of the story seems kind of discordant.

I don't know, as a programmer, it doesn't sound wild.

edit: this is a bad take, clarified below

Last edited:

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Uninstalled last night.

It was only installed because my son had been playing fortnite. The thing is, I have no problem with another store if it was used for Epic's own games exclusively and other 3rd party games were on there as an alternative to Steam/Origin/Uplay/GoG.

The crazy thing is they could undercut Steam and a lot others because of the store's smaller cut but they have decided to strong arm it, this breach of privacy is the last straw.

Fuck them.

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing reasonable in avoiding to use official way of acquiring data they need.
Depending on an online service that you don't have control over is a good way to make your program behave unpredictably. If the file is on the disk already, there isn't a good reason to fuck around with someone else's api.

edit: i misunderstood exactly what was happening here and got super lazy -- clarified below

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Depending on an online service that you don't have control over is a good way to make your program behave unpredictably. If the file is on the disk already, there isn't a good reason to fuck around with someone else's api.
Cool. So there is also good reason that the Epic Launcher collects my family photos since they are files on my disk?
Lighten up.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Err... what? Are you saying that it's fine to breach data privacy and basically steal personal information from your hard drive because you can't be bothered to use an API which only shares unpersonalized information?

Maybe there is a reason why you can't access all information with the API like ... I don't know ... privacy stuff?

Epic introduced the data mining around 3 weeks after Valve tightened their API to comply with the GDPR. Seems like Epic doesn't like laws and simply wants more of that sweet personal unlawful information. But hey, this info already exists so they are free to steal it right from under your nose I guess

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

That file is NOT for use by other software. That is why Steam API is there.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So, do you guys think that epics response is reasonable ?

No. It probably is nothing major, but Galyonkin is still running Steamspy, and he was very vocal when Valve tightened up some of the holes in Steam's privacy settings last year. He has always viewed more data as his number one priority. That, alongside things like Facebook's mining and use of data, mean that Epic shouldn't be given a pass on their data collection, and should rather show that they are beyond reproach. Which they haven't done. It would be easy for them to shut down whatever this is, and use the Steam API until a more robust solution is developed by their coders. They're instead choosing to minimise the perceived effect of their data mining. Whether it's harmless or not, their response is not good enough.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

They employee the person who created SteamSpy,. Him saying they don't have anything to do with it is just straight out lying. Why is no one calling him out? Oh right, because they bought everyone.
And said person is still running SteamSpy while earning $14k per month from Patreon. And Tim actually said they have nothing to do with SteamSpy? How stupid can people be to believe that?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So... the media portrayed it like ''not a big deal''?

As with everything else that casts Epic in a bad light.

No, because they didn't explain why their launcher collects data that aren't necessary for the operation of the launcher without the user's explicit permission. Even for data that they collect by default (hardware and software info) Valve asks the user to opt in to that data collection.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently file is around 10mb. But as I said before they claim that they only parse friends info but why they are copying entire Steam usage file? You can parse only friends data and then save it as separate file that would probably be like few KB instead of 10+MB.
Something interesting is that the file size only goes UP throughout the weeks.
Wouldn't an increment in size mean that there is an history also being kept by Epic in their file?
It's not like my friend list gets bigger every week.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
At the end of the day the gaming media doesn't care about consumer rights, all they care about is getting their free games and website clicks.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

He's probably passing on all the details to the Chinese via Tencent as well.

And said person is still running SteamSpy while earning $14k per month from Patreon. And Tim actually said they have nothing to do with SteamSpy? How stupid can people be to believe that?

I actually happen to agree with all of you on this, very fishy and honestly at this point trusting Epic with anything seems to be like walking into a snake pit with a blindfold on.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
At the end of the day the gaming media doesn't care about consumer rights, all they care about is getting their free games and website clicks.

Same for most Youtubers sadly as well, as long as they get their free review copies etc.

Thankfully not all of them are like that, some are reliable and decent but yeah, in general I agree, the gaming press isn't reliable anymore, they feel more like advertisers than neutral unbiased sources of information.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

You're not the owner of the files on someone else's disk. You need the user to know and accept what you want to do otherwise you're just developing a spyware app. As a programmer you don't have boundaries and compliance?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I think at this point the only people who would think it's reasonable are people with confirmation bias, in the same way that people who thought Steam having Rape Day as a game was ok because of "choice" also have confirmation bias.

If you look at the evidence that has been provided and the explanations for it from Epic and Tim then it certainly does not sound reasonable at all, it sounds like they are telling lies and trying to cover their bases when looking at it objectively.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Is there any stories on this on any big sites yet?
I mean, PCGamer had an article on it. But well, this was the author's response. See for yourself...
dApmQh8.png

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the official comment from epic sounds... reasonable? The conversation here and the content of the story seems kind of discordant.

I don't know, as a programmer, it doesn't sound wild.
If you think it's OK for a program to be snooping around user files without their permission, please let me know which programs you worked on so I can make sure to avoid them like the plague.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Andy's not wrong there.

He is wrong, data on your personal disk don't need to be encrypted. Are your personal photos encrypted for example? If not, would you be fine with any software making copies of them to their folder and potentially sending them to their servers without you knowing about it?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
He is wrong, data on your personal disk don't need to be encrypted. Are your personal photos encrypted for example? If not, would you be fine with any software making copies of them to their folder and potentially sending them to their servers without you knowing about it?
If you care so much about your privacy, you should encrypt your data.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is there any stories on this on any big sites yet?

I just went to google and typed in "Epic games" and looked at the news feed, pretty much every article from the big gaming sites is a positive spin piece about cloud saves coming and improvements, PC Gamer has an article which essentially downplays everything that has been exposed and as you can see, even the person who wrote the article is saying Steam does the same thing (which it does not, at all.)

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Andy's not wrong there.

He's blaming on the user and steam to encrypt every last little bit of its files. The thing is why would a big ass company like epic NOT use a public access point such as the steam api to use that specific info? They are just using sketchy means to get that information from the user without any consent beforehand thats not really related to the epic launcher? Like user steam playtimes? He's pretty much blaming the victim. So yes he is definitely pretty much wrong there like trying to take off the attention off what epic is trying to do...

If you care so much about your privacy, you should encrypt your data.

But thats not the point here... Its pretty much illegal and immoral what epic is doing and they should be punished for it? What you said goes without saying obviously but like i said before, thats totally not the point of this discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing reasonable in avoiding to use official way of acquiring data they need.
Cool. So there is also good reason that the Epic Launcher collects my family photos since they are files on my disk?
Lighten up.
Err... what? Are you saying that it's fine to breach data privacy and basically steal personal information from your hard drive because you can't be bothered to use an API which only shares unpersonalized information?

Maybe there is a reason why you can't access all information with the API like ... I don't know ... privacy stuff?

Epic introduced the data mining around 3 weeks after Valve tightened their API to comply with the GDPR. Seems like Epic doesn't like laws and simply wants more of that sweet personal unlawful information. But hey, this info already exists so they are free to steal it right from under your nose I guess
That file is NOT for use by other software. That is why Steam API is there.
You're not the owner of the files on someone else's disk. You need the user to know and accept what you want to do otherwise you're just developing a spyware app. As a programmer you don't have boundaries and compliance?
If you think it's OK for a program to be snooping around user files without their permission, please let me know which programs you worked on so I can make sure to avoid them like the plague.

i misunderstood exactly what was happening -- I thought they were scraping for friends when you explicitly grant them permission to access you steam friends. i'm still rattled from other things in the news today, and was too quick to scan the article and too dismissive with a shitty hot take that i farted out from a position of some lofty expertise.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
So any data stored on your computer is fair game? And any program associated with that data is to blame for Epic snooping on it?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I just went to google and typed in "Epic games" and looked at the news feed, pretty much every article from the big gaming sites is a positive spin piece about cloud saves coming and improvements, PC Gamer has an article which essentially downplays everything that has been exposed and as you can see, even the person who wrote the article is saying Steam does the same thing (which it does not, at all.)

Why does everyone seem to be going to bat for Epic quite a lot lately in spite of the recent outcries over their activity?

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom

Like I said, gaming sites don't give a fuck, they are not your friends. They are only friendly with publishers who provide them with PR copy to spew out and free games to keep them on side.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Why does everyone seem to be going to bat for Epic quite a lot lately in spite of the recent outcries over their activity?

Because of Steam and their lack of curation imo, that's what it has boiled down to, some members of the gaming press seemingly hate Steam now and want competition at whatever the cost. I don't think it's logical to think in black and white terms like that, you can have a problem with how Steam curates and still not support what Epic are doing, know what I mean?

Either that or Epic have paid them off, considering they are buying exclusives from developers that wouldn't surprise me tbh but that's just conjecture on my part.