• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
A website called Bleeping Computer got a response out of Valve, where was the games media grabbing a response from Valve? Amazing. We are truly in the era of hot takes reporting.

PC Gamer at least didn't think it warranted contacting Valve, as what Valve do/did wasn't the point of the article:

Andy Chalk Mod a day ago
I could also point out that Steam obviously also leaves all this data lying around, open and accessible to any developer or application that wants it. This is a report on the accusation and response, not a technical analysis of how Steam and Epic handle, protect, and share your data.

Why is it so wrong to say that data file should not be accessible to Epic in the first place? Whether it be through encryption, permissions, isolation, or any programming construct available.

It's not wrong, but the false equivalence you're making is bad. Epic are far more wrong in this situation than Valve.

Relik7

Mar 14, 2019
So, again, comparing the file information in localconfig.vdf with actual passwords is incorrect. Is it bad that it's so open? Yes. But you're coming across as both the open-nature of the data and Epic's stealing that data are just as bad as each-other. They're not.
Again, never said that. My belief is they both share fault. Whatever percentage you want to come up with is ok with me. In car accidents in at-fault states the officer determines a percentage of fault for each of the drivers in the accident. Sometimes it's 0% & 100%. Sometimes it's 30% and 70%.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Again, never said that.

Not every file on your hard drive is created equal IS IT? Is your master password list supposed to be stored in plain text the same as un-encrypted pictures of your cat? Microsoft protects your "Live" credentials, Google protects your stored password archive, how many more examples do I have to give?

Reads to me like you're comparing the info in localconfig.vdf with sensitive data. But my bad if I misunderstood.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Based on some of the responses to this I do wonder why there hasn't been greater investigations on the amount of astro-turfing big companies do. Like it's definitely it's occurring (that or once again people are unhealthily attached to their corporate overlords) but there hasn't really been a conversation about it's frequency or how it affects the communities the companies infiltrate.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Based on some of the responses to this I do wonder why there hasn't been greater investigations on the amount of astro-turfing big companies do. Like it's definitely it's occurring (that or once again people are unhealthily attached to their corporate overlords) but there hasn't really been a conversation about it's frequency or how it affects the communities the companies infiltrate.
There's only a discussion when they get caught and it fairly hard to catch them since they tend to hide it well.
I mean, it took pretty much a year for people just to find out about this and it was in plain sight.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the Benjamins $$$.

There's no reason to assume there was any money transfer involved. It's a natural consequence of writers in the games industry -- even good ones -- generally having zero journalistic or analytic training. That means their "reporting" amounts to picking low-hanging fruit and reproducing superficial impressions, which favors companies that invest heavily in PR and carefully control their public image. Valve very explicitly does not do this, so you get, e.g., completely incoherent takes parroting Epic's claims to be great for the "little guy" compared to Steam, when the actual little guy isn't even allowed on Epic's storefront.

Relik7

Mar 14, 2019
Reads to me like you're comparing the info in localconfig.vdf with sensitive data. But my bad if I misunderstood.
How about this to clarify my views:

The open-nature of Windows used to be much worse and it's improving. This shows we continue to need more improvement. On your phone, you have to be asked before any application accesses your contacts. In Windows, Steam stores your contacts (friends list in this scenario) in a plain text file visible to anyone else on the computer. On a Mac, this data could be stored in the Keychain, it would be encrypted, and only the application that created it could access it. We need a "Keychain" for Windows.

To demonstrate what I mean with Steam's responsibility, they don't even store your "userdata' in the proper %APPDATA% directory structure. They store it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\NUMBER . User data is supposed to be stored in the protected %APPDATA% (C:\users\name\AppData) directory structure so that only that user can read it (among other reasons). Because they store it outside of there, any other user on your computer can go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\NUMBER and read your data. I just created a second user in Windows and tried it. This is fundamental disregard for Windows programming standards in place since Windows XP. User data is not supposed to be stored in "Program Files" since back then.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to respond to the troll, but just so people are aware, windows does have an equivalent of Mac OS's keychain, it's called credentials manager. The windows game store uses it. Another tell of the trolling, btw. Don't fall for it, report and move on.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
If the text content of the vdf files aren't explicitly parsed, can Epic still extract information about play history using the vdf file properties by checking things like file sizes and modified/creation dates etc. Or would that still be classified as parsing the data in the files?

Relik7

Mar 14, 2019
Credentials Manager is accessible via an API and it's a start, but it is only intended to store credentials like user names and passwords : docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/secauthn/credentials-management

Keychain on a Mac is much more advanced. Keychain allows the storage of any information, limits access to each item to certain applications and prompts the user to provide access. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keychain_(software)

Keychain Access is a macOS application that allows the user to access the Keychain and configure its contents, including passwords for websites, web forms, FTP servers, SSH accounts, network shares, wireless networks, groupware applications, encrypted disk images, etc.

I'm not here to argue the merits of either, but to say that user privacy in Windows needs improvement from all developers.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Epic so untrustworthy to me is that Valve has a free API they could use if they just wanted to import friends list and I haven't heard a good reason why they aren't using it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
We've got some progress (? )

If you scroll down the RPS comments, Graham Smith makes several appearances. He basically states that he doesn't see exclusives as a long term problem (it's for the good of the industry) and eventually ask concedes that RPS "has changed" without going into details.

As I said before, I'm not subscribing to the "Epic gives publications bags of cash" theory, but I can certainly feel a general sense of a pro-epic bias.

Relik7

Mar 14, 2019
If the text content of the vdf files aren't explicitly parsed, can Epic still extract information about play history using the vdf file properties by checking things like file sizes and modified/creation dates etc. Or would that still be classified as parsing the data in the files?
Not really, but the whole issue of "parsing" is kinda semantics. At first Epic launcher start, they read in the whole Steam file, transform the data using XOR, and write it back out in their own directory. They use the word parsing because that means to read the structure of the file and find the information you are interested in. Now no matter what they say, when you use the import friends feature they are absolutely parsing the file when they go through it looking for your friends names, hash each name, and send it to Epic to see if it matches a user on the Epic service. Their statement is that while parsing it then, they don't do anything else. It's up to each user whether they trust them. (Personally, I don't trust them!) Remember, they already made a backup copy of that Steam file for themselves in case Steam encrypts or removes that file in the future. Tim Sweeney does admit that this was a mistake to do - likely because he it looks so bad and he got caught.

References:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoi..._game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/eijrgsm/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoi..._game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/eik9i8m/

What makes Epic so untrustworthy to me is that Valve has a free API they could use if they just wanted to import friends list and I haven't heard a good reason why they aren't using it.
100% agree.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Again, never said that. My belief is they both share fault.
I don't.

As I said earlier, you don't randomly encrypt normal non-critical (as in, not e.g. a password or a credit card number) information generated during the execution of a program expecting that some spyware grabs it. (And at the same time, "non-critical" doesn't mean "free for all", especially not under GDPR)

And no, I do not agree with the "everyone should encrypt everything" idea. It reduces performance, reduces the mallability and portability of data, reduces user insight into and control of what exactly which applications stores, and generally just isn't necessary if ostensibly trustworthy programs like EGS don't act like spyware.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, generally you don't encrypt everything by default. Steam are doing what most programs do, but maybe now they will change since it seems a competitor has resulted to straight up spyware tactics.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
We've got some progress (? )

If you scroll down the RPS comments, Graham Smith makes several appearances. He basically states that he doesn't see exclusives as a long term problem (it's for the good of the industry) and eventually ask concedes that RPS "has changed" without going into details.

As I said before, I'm not subscribing to the "Epic gives publications bags of cash" theory, but I can certainly feel a general sense of a pro-epic bias.

So basically they admit they are doing free PR for Epic because they 'believe' in Epic

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
WTF?
Fortnite asks for a new user agreement today.

Please read this Agreement carefully. It is a legal document that explains your rights and obligations related to your use of Epic's Software, including any Services you access or purchases you make through the Software. By downloading or using the Software, or by otherwise indicating your acceptance of this Agreement, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not or cannot agree to the terms of this Agreement, you may not download or use this Software.

In particular, we want to highlight some important terms, policies, and procedures in this Agreement. By accepting this Agreement:

1. You are also agreeing to other Epic rules and policies that are expressly incorporated into this Agreement. Please read them carefully:

Our Privacy Policy explains what information we collect from you and how we protect it.
Our Fan Content Policy explains what you can do with Epic's Intellectual Property in the content you create.
Our Terms of Service explain the rules for our websites.

2. You grant Epic a license to use whatever content you create using the Service. You can find more information in the User Generated Content section below.

3. You and Epic agree to resolve disputes between us in individual arbitration (not in court). We believe the alternative dispute-resolution process of arbitration will resolve any dispute fairly and more quickly and efficiently than formal court litigation. Section 12 explains the process in detail. We've put this up front (and in caps) because it's important:

THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND CLASS-ACTION WAIVER PROVISION. IF YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AND EPIC AGREE TO RESOLVE DISPUTES IN BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO GO TO COURT INDIVIDUALLY OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND EPIC AGREES TO PAY YOUR ARBITRATION COSTS FOR ALL DISPUTES OF UP TO $10,000 THAT ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH (SEE SECTION 12). YOU HAVE A TIME-LIMITED RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THIS WAIVER.

TO ENTER INTO THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT, YOU MUST BE AN ADULT OF THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY IN YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE. YOU ARE LEGALLY AND FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL ACTIONS USING OR ACCESSING OUR SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE ACTIONS OF ANYONE YOU ALLOW TO ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNT. YOU AFFIRM THAT YOU HAVE REACHED THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY, UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT (INCLUDING ITS DISPUTE RESOLUTION TERMS). IF YOU ARE UNDER THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY, YOUR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN MUST CONSENT TO THIS AGREEMENT.

Certain words or phrases are defined to have certain meanings when used in this Agreement. Those words and phrases are defined below in Section 16.

If your primary residence is in the United States of America, your agreement is with Epic Games, Inc. If it is not in the United States of America, your agreement is with Epic Games International S.à r.l., acting through its Swiss branch.

1. License Grant

Epic grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable limited right and license to install and use the Software on compatible devices you own or control for your personal entertainment use (the "License"). The rights that Epic grants you under the License are subject to the terms of this Agreement, and you may only make use of the License if you comply with all applicable terms.

The License becomes effective on the date you accept this Agreement. The Software is licensed, not sold, to you under the License. The License does not grant you any title or ownership in the Software.

2. License Conditions

You may not do or attempt to do any of the following with respect to the Software or any of its parts: (a) use it commercially or for a promotional purpose except as Epic expressly authorizes; (b) copy, reproduce, distribute (including via a network server), display, or use it in a way that is not expressly authorized in this Agreement; (c) sell, rent, lease, license, distribute, or otherwise transfer it; (d) reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, adapt, translate, decompile, or disassemble it or make derivative works based on it; (e) remove, disable, circumvent, or modify any proprietary notice or label or security technology included in it; (f) create, develop, distribute, or use any unauthorized software programs to gain advantage in any online or other game modes; (g) use it to infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including but not limited to any intellectual property, publicity, or privacy rights; (h) use, export, or re-export it in violation of any applicable law or regulation; or (i) behave in a manner which is detrimental to the enjoyment of the Software by other users as intended by Epic, in Epic's sole judgment, including but not limited to the following – harassment, use of abusive or offensive language, game abandonment, game sabotage, spamming, social engineering, scamming, running or using methods which are not authorized by Epic and which interfere with the outcome and/or the course of the Software (including Cheats, bots, scripts, or mods not expressly authorized by Epic) by giving you and/or another user an advantage over other players who do not use such methods, or making or otherwise contributing to such unauthorized software.

The Software may contain Cheat Detection software or features or you may be prompted to install Cheat Detection software during your installation of the Software. If you do not agree to install the Cheat Detection software or at any time remove or disable the Cheat Detection software or features, the License granted to you automatically terminates and you may not make use of the Software. The Software or the Cheat Detection software may collect and transmit details about your account, gameplay, and potentially unauthorized programs or processes in connection with Cheat Detection, subject to Epic's Privacy Policy. In the event that Cheats are identified, you agree that Epic may exercise any or all of its rights under this Agreement.

3. Updates and Patches

Epic may provide patches, updates, or upgrades to the Software that must be installed in order for you to continue to use the Software or Services. Epic may update the Software remotely without notifying you, and you hereby consent to Epic applying patches, updates, and upgrades. Epic may modify, suspend, discontinue, substitute, replace, or limit your access to any aspect of the Software or Services at any time. You acknowledge that your use of the Software or Services does not confer on you any interest, monetary or otherwise, in any aspect or feature of the Software or Services, including but not limited to (where applicable) any in-game rewards, trophies, achievements, character levels, Game Currency, or Content. You also acknowledge that any character data, game progress, game customization or other data related to your use of the Software or Services may cease to be available to you at any time without notice from Epic, including without limitation after a patch, update, or upgrade is applied by Epic. Epic does not have any maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services.

4. Game Currency and Content

Epic may offer you the ability to acquire licenses to in-game currency ("Game Currency") or Content, such as by: (a) purchasing a limited license to use Game Currency for a fee ("Purchased Game Currency"), (b) earning a limited license to use Game Currency by performing or accomplishing specific tasks in the Software, or (c) purchasing for a fee, exchanging Game Currency for, or earning a limited license to use Content. Also, Epic may facilitate the exchange of certain Content through the Software, in some cases for a fee. You may only use such Game Currency or Content if you pay the associated fee (if any). When you earn or pay the fee to obtain such Game Currency or Content, you are obtaining or purchasing from Epic the right to have your License include such Game Currency or Content. Regardless of any references Epic may make outside this Agreement to purchasing or selling Game Currency or Content, both Game Currency and Content are licensed, not sold, to you under the License. Use of an Epic Account Balance to purchase Game Currency or Content is subject to Epic's Terms of Service.

Neither Game Currency nor Content are redeemable for money or monetary value from Epic or any other person, except as otherwise required by applicable law. Game Currency and Content do not have an equivalent value in real currency and do not act as a substitute for real currency. Neither Epic nor any other person or entity has any obligation to exchange Game Currency or Content for anything of value, including, but not limited to, real currency. You agree that Epic may engage in actions that may impact the perceived value or purchase price, if applicable, of Game Currency and Content at any time, except as prohibited by applicable law.

All purchases of Purchased Game Currency and Content are final and are not refundable, transferable, or exchangeable under any circumstances, except as otherwise required by applicable law. Epic, in its sole discretion, may impose limits on the amount of Game Currency or Content that may be purchased, earned, accumulated, redeemed or otherwise used.
Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, Epic, in its sole discretion, has the absolute right to manage, modify, substitute, replace, suspend, cancel or eliminate Game Currency or Content, including your ability to access or use Game Currency or Content, without notice or liability to you. You may not transfer, sell, gift, exchange, trade, lease, sublicense, or rent Game Currency or Content except within the Software and as expressly permitted by Epic.

Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, Epic reserves and retains all rights, title, and interest, property or otherwise, in and to the Game Currency and Content. The license to Game Currency and Content under the License will terminate upon termination of the License and as otherwise provided herein.

When you provide payment information to Epic or its authorized processor, you represent that you are an authorized user of the payment card, PIN, key, account or other payment method specified by you, and you authorize Epic to charge such payment method for the full amount of the transaction.

5. User Generated Content

Epic may provide features through the Software or the Services that allow You to create, develop, modify, or contribute Content ("UGC") and to upload, publish, or otherwise make available UGC to some or all users of the Services. These features may also allow you to interact with, manipulate, and change UGC in whole or in part. Epic may modify, limit, or discontinue certain features of the Service without notice or liability to you.

"UGC" includes without limitation buildings, chat posts, character data, game customization, in-game constructions, replays, cinematics, scripts and programs, modes, gameplay, experiences, interactive features, and screenshots, music, sounds, sound recordings (and the musical works embodied therein) audiovisual combinations, musical works, animations, and other types of works (standalone or in combination).

Subject to the rights and licenses You grant in this Agreement, you retain whatever rights that you may have in your UGC. Your rights in UGC only extend to the new, original content you create as part of your UGC and does not extend to or grant any rights to the Services, Software, Content created or made available by third-parties, or Content made available by Epic through the Software or Services.

License to Epic. If You make or have made available any UGC in the Services, You give Epic permission to host, copy, import, store, modify, adapt, display, publicly perform (including by means of digital audio transmissions), reproduce (and make mechanical reproductions of musical works embodied in sound recordings ), create derivative works of (including synchronize to visual images), publicly display, transfer, sublicense, and distribute (collectively "Use") that UGC, in whole or in part, including for commercial publicity and marketing purposes, in any country. This permission is perpetual and irrevocable and applies to any media, platform, or channel in connection with the Software and Services.

The rights you grant to Epic in this Section are provided on a through-to-the-audience basis, which means the owners or operators of third-party services will not have any separate liability to you or any other third-party for UGC provided to or used on such third-party services via the Service. Epic needs these permissions in order to make your UGC available to players as part of the Services (i.e., in-game), and to make it available to streamers and content creators off of the Services (e.g., for use on other platforms). These rights need to be irrevocable because of the many channels in which UGC is distributed by us and others after it's created.

You understand that You are not entitled to receive any compensation, fees, consideration, or other remuneration in connection with your UGC for any reason, including Epic's exercise of the rights You grant to Epic in this Section and that Epic is not obligated to exercise the rights You grant.

Musical Works. Epic may, in its sole discretion, choose to make available sound recordings and the musical works embodied in the sound recordings ("Licensed Music") in connection with UGC. If Epic makes available Licensed Music for use in your UGC, Epic grants you a non-exclusive, personal, limited, revocable, non-transferable license to: (a) synchronize the Licensed Music into UGC during the period of time that the Licensed Music is made available through the Services, and (b) play, listen, and interact with UGC containing Licensed Music solely through the Services.

Your modifications (e.g., edits, use of a portion of) the Licensed Music to synchronize into the UGC are considered derivative works included in the definition of Licensed Music, the rights to which are retained by Epic and its licensors.

Special Rules for Recording Artists. If you are a composer or author of a musical work and are (a) affiliated with or a member of a performing-rights organization ("PRO"), (b) under contract with a record label, or (c) have assigned your rights to a music publisher, then you must notify the interested party of the royalty-free license you grant through this Agreement to Epic. You are solely responsible for ensuring your compliance with the relevant party's reporting or contractual obligations, and (if applicable) obtaining the consent of that party to grant the royalty-free license(s) in this Agreement, including if you create any new recordings through the Service that your label may attempt to claim.

You represent and warrant that any UGC containing Licensed Music is not subject to and Epic has no obligation to pay royalties to any third party, including without limitation a sound recording copyright owner (e.g., a record label), a musical work copyright owner (e.g., a music publisher), a PRO (e.g., ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc.), a sound recording PRO, any unions or guilds, or other third parties.

Epic does not allow intellectual-property infringement activities through the Software or the Services. You may not and agree not to create, generate, or make available through the Software or the Services any UGC to which you do not have the right to grant Epic such license in all of the elements (including the Licensed Music) of the UGC.

If you do choose to create, generate, or make available your UGC through the Software or Services, You are solely responsible for your UGC and represent and warrant that:

(a) you are the creator and owner of, and have all the necessary licenses and rights to use and authorize Epic to exploit the license granted above;

(b) your UGC, and Epic's use of the UGC as contemplated under this Agreement, will not infringe or violate any third-party rights, including copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral rights, or the rights of privacy or publicity;

(c) Epic does not need to obtain any further licenses, provide attribution, or pay royalties or other compensation to any third parties; and

(d) Epic's use of your UGC will not violate any third-party contract or cause Epic to violate any applicable laws or regulations.

You are responsible for your UGC, so please don't make objectionable content available on or through the Services. If you do, we may have to take it down. Epic may, but is under no obligation, to edit or control any UGC You or others make available through the Software or the Services. Epic may at any time screen, remove, delete, edit, block, or refuse to publish UGC that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable as determined in Epic's sole discretion and without prior notice or any liability to You or any third party. If You provide UGC, You may only use the tools that Epic provides through the normal functionality of the Service to remove or modify that specific type of UGC.

You understand that you may be exposed to UGC from a variety of sources when using the Software or the Services and acknowledge that UGC may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that Epic shall not be responsible or liable for your or others' UGC.

To the fullest extent permitted by law, You waive and agree to waive all rights of authorship, paternity, attribution, integrity, disclosure, withdrawal, and any other rights that are known or referred to as "moral rights", "artist's rights", "droit moral", or other similar rights, recognized under any legal or equitable theory of any country or under any treaty, regardless of whether that right is referred to as a "moral right" (collectively "Moral Rights") in and to your UGC. You further knowingly and irrevocably agree to not exercise any Moral Rights in and to your UGC that You have not waived in any manner that interferes with any exercise of granted rights. You waive and agree not to assert your Moral Rights even if your UGC is altered or changed in a manner not agreeable to you.

6. Feedback

If you provide Epic with any Feedback, you hereby grant Epic a non-exclusive, fully paid, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable, transferable, and assignable license to use, reproduce, distribute, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works based on, publicly perform, publicly display, make, have made, use, sell, offer to sell, import, and otherwise exploit any and all Feedback for any purposes, for all current and future methods and forms of exploitation. "Feedback" means suggestions, comments, ideas, and all other types of information, including software and code, that you provide, publish, or otherwise communicate directly or indirectly (including your employees, agents, contractors, or representatives) to Epic or its agents that relates to the Services or Software. If any such rights may not be licensed under applicable law (such as moral and other personal rights), you hereby waive and agree not to assert any such rights. You understand and agree that Epic is not required to make any use of any Feedback that you provide. You agree that if Epic makes use of your Feedback, Epic is not required to credit or compensate you for your contribution. You represent and warrant that you have sufficient rights in any Feedback that you provide to Epic to grant Epic and other affected parties the rights described above. This includes but is not limited to intellectual-property rights and other proprietary or personal rights.

7. Ownership/Third Party Licenses

Epic and its licensors own all title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in the Software and Services. Features may be made available to you via the Software and Services that provide prefabricated templates or in-game items to use in connection with your UGC (defined below), however your use of a template does not give you any copyrights or other ownership in the template. Epic, Epic Games, Unreal, Unreal Engine, and Fortnite, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic and its affiliates in the United States of America and elsewhere. All rights granted to you under this Agreement are granted by express license only and not by sale. No license or other rights shall be created hereunder by implication, estoppel, or otherwise.

The Software includes certain components provided by Epic's licensors. A list of credits and notices for third party components may be found in the game interface.

8. Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability

Nothing in this Agreement will prejudice the statutory rights that you may have as a consumer of the Software or Services. Some countries, states, provinces or other jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or the limitation of liability as stated in this section, so the below terms may not fully apply to you. Instead, in such jurisdictions, the exclusions and limitations below shall apply only to the extent permitted by the laws of such jurisdictions.

The Software (including any Game Currency and Content) and Services is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis, "with all faults" and without warranty of any kind. Epic, its licensors, and its and their affiliates disclaim all warranties, conditions, common law duties, and representations (express, implied, oral, and written) with respect to the Software and Services, including without limitation all express, implied, and statutory warranties and conditions of any kind, such as title, non-interference with your enjoyment, authority, non-infringement, merchantability, fitness or suitability for any purpose (whether or not Epic knows or has reason to know of any such purpose), system integration, accuracy or completeness, results, reasonable care, workmanlike effort, lack of negligence, and lack of viruses, whether alleged to arise under law, by reason of custom or usage in the trade, or by course of dealing. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Epic, its licensors, and its and their affiliates make no warranty that (1) the Software or Services will operate properly, (2) that the Software or Services will meet your requirements, (3) that the operation of the Software or Services will be uninterrupted, bug free, or error free in any or all circumstances, or (4) that any defects in the Software or Services can or will be corrected. Any warranty against infringement that may be provided in Section 2-312 of the Uniform Commercial Code or in any other comparable statute is expressly disclaimed. Epic, its licensors, and its and their affiliates do not guarantee continuous, error-free, virus-free, or secure operation of or access to the Software or Services. This paragraph will apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, neither Epic, nor its licensors, nor its or their affiliates, nor any of Epic's service providers (collectively, the "Epic Parties"), shall be liable in any way for any loss of profits or any indirect, incidental, consequential, special, punitive, or exemplary damages, arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) or Services, or the delay or inability to use or lack of functionality of the Software or Services, even in the event of an Epic Party's fault, tort (including negligence), strict liability, indemnity, product liability, breach of contract, breach of warranty, or otherwise and even if an Epic Party has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Further, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the aggregate liability of the Epic Parties arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) or Services will not exceed the total amounts you have paid (if any) to Epic for the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the events giving rise to such liability. These limitations and exclusions regarding damages apply even if any remedy fails to provide adequate compensation.

9. Indemnity

This section only applies to the extent permitted by applicable law. If you are prohibited by law from entering into the indemnification obligation below, then you assume, to the extent permitted by law, all liability for all claims, demands, actions, losses, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees, costs and expert witnesses' fees) that are the stated subject matter of the indemnification obligation below.

You agree to indemnify, pay the defense costs of, and hold Epic, its licensors, its and their affiliates, and its and their employees, officers, directors, agents, contractors, and other representatives harmless from all claims, demands, actions, losses, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees, costs, and expert witnesses' fees) that arise from or in connection with (a) any claim that, if true, would constitute a breach by you of this Agreement or negligence by you, (b) any act or omission by you in using the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) or Services, or (c) any claim of infringement or violation of any third-party intellectual property rights arising from Epic's use of your UGC or Feedback as provided under Sections 5 or 6 of this Agreement. You agree to reimburse Epic on demand for any defense costs incurred by Epic and any payments made or loss suffered by Epic, whether in a court judgment or settlement, based on any matter covered by this Section 9.

10. Termination

Without limiting any other rights of Epic, this Agreement will terminate automatically without notice if you fail to comply with any of its terms and conditions. You may also terminate this Agreement by deleting the Software from all devices on which you've installed it. Upon any termination, the License will automatically terminate, you may no longer exercise any of the rights granted to you by the License, and you must destroy all copies of the Software in your possession.

Except to the extent required by law, all payments and fees are non-refundable under all circumstances, regardless of whether or not this Agreement has been terminated.

Sections 2, 5-13, and 15-17 will survive any termination of this Agreement.

11. Governing Law and Jurisdiction

This Agreement is entered into in the State of North Carolina, U.S.A., and shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of North Carolina, exclusive of its choice of law rules. For any Disputes deemed not subject to binding individual arbitration, as provided in the section immediately below, you and Epic agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Superior Court of Wake County, North Carolina, or, if federal court jurisdiction exists, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. You and Epic agree to waive any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts (without affecting either party's rights to remove a case to federal court if permissible), as well as any right to a jury trial. The Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply. Any law or regulation which provides that the language of a contract shall be construed against the drafter will not apply to this Agreement. This paragraph will be interpreted as broadly as applicable law permits.

12. Binding Individual Arbitration; Class Action Waiver

PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS, INCLUDING YOUR RIGHT TO FILE A LAWSUIT IN COURT.

Most issues can be resolved quickly and amicably by contacting Epic customer support at https://www.epicgames.com/customer-service. But we understand that sometimes disputes can't be easily resolved by customer support. This Section explains how You and Epic agree to resolve those disputes, including (where applicable) by binding, individual arbitration.

Arbitration is an alternative dispute-resolution procedure that allows us to resolve issues without the formality of going to court. Any dispute between You and Epic is submitted to a neutral arbitrator (not a judge or jury) for fair and fast resolution. Arbitration is more efficient for both you and Epic.

12.1 Informal Resolution.

If you have an issue that our customer support can't resolve, prior to starting arbitration You and Epic agree to attempt to resolve the dispute informally to help get us to a resolution and control costs for both parties. You and Epic agree to make a good-faith effort to negotiate any dispute between us for at least 30 days ("Informal Resolution"). Those informal negotiations will start on the day You or Epic receive a written Notice of a Dispute in accordance with this Agreement.

You will send your Notice of Dispute to Epic Games, Inc., Legal Department, ATTN: NOTICE OF DISPUTE, Box 254, 2474 Walnut Street, Cary, North Carolina, 27518, U.S.A. Include your name, account name you use while playing Fortnite, address, how to contact you, what the problem is, and what you want Epic to do. If Epic has a dispute with You, Epic will send our Notice of Dispute to your registered email address and any billing address You have provided us.

If you reside in the European Union ("EU"), You may also be entitled to submit Your complaint to the European Commission's Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Platform. ODR allows EU consumers to resolve disputes related to the online purchases of goods and services without going to court.

If the dispute isn't resolved within by Informal Resolution or small-claims court (below), You or Epic may start an arbitration in accordance with this Agreement.

12.2 Small Claims Court

Instead of using Informal Resolution, You and Epic agree that You may sue us in small-claims court in your choice of the county where you live or Wake County, North Carolina (if you meet the requirements of small-claims court). We hope you'll try Informal Resolution first, but you don't have to before going to small-claims court.

12.3 Binding Individual Arbitration.

THE ARBITRATION PROCEEDINGS IN THIS SECTION WILL BE CONDUCTED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS ONLY.

You and Epic agree that Disputes will be settled by binding individual arbitration conducted by the Judicial Arbitration Mediation Services, Inc. ("JAMS") subject to the U.S. Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law and according to the JAMS Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures effective July 1, 2014 (the "JAMS Rules") as modified by this Agreement.

This means that You and Epic agree to a dispute-resolution process where we submit any Dispute to a neutral arbitrator (not a judge or jury) that makes the final decision to resolve the Dispute. JAMS uses experienced professionals to arbitrate disputes, which helps You and Epic resolve any disputes fairly, but more quickly and efficiently than going to court. The arbitrator may award the same remedies to you individually as a court could, but only to the extent required to satisfy your individual claim.

The arbitrator's decision is final, except for a limited review by courts under the U.S. Federal Arbitration Act, and can enforced like any other court order or judgment.

12.3.1 Disputes We Agree to Arbitrate:

You and Epic agree to submit all Disputes between You and Epic to individual binding arbitration. "Dispute" means any dispute, claim, or controversy (except those specifically exempted below) between You and Epic that relates to your use or attempted use of Epic's products or services and Epic's products and services generally, including without limitation the validity, enforceability, or scope of this Binding Individual Arbitration section.

You and Epic agree to arbitrate all Disputes regardless of whether the Dispute is based in contract, statute, regulation, ordinance, tort (including fraud, misrepresentation, fraudulent inducement, or negligence), or any other legal or equitable theory.

The Informal Resolution and Arbitration sections do not apply to (1) individual actions in small-claims court; (2) pursuit of enforcement actions through a government agency if the law allows; (3) a complaint or remedy under the EU General Data Protection Regulation; (4) an action to compel or uphold any prior arbitration decision; (5) Epic's right to seek injunctive relief against You in a court of law to preserve the status quo while an arbitration proceeds; (6) claims of piracy, creation, distribution, or promotion of Cheats, and intellectual-property infringement, and (7) the enforceability of the Class Action Waiver clause below.

You and Epic agree that whether a dispute is subject to arbitration under this Agreement will be determined by the arbitrator rather than a court.

12.3.2 Arbitration Procedure:

To start an arbitration, review the JAMS Rules and follow the instructions for initiating an arbitration on the JAMS website. The party starting an arbitration must send JAMS a "Demand for Arbitration" (available on its website), pay a filing fee, and mail a copy of the Demand for Arbitration to the opposing party. You will send a copy to Epic Games, Inc., Legal Department, ATTN: ARBITRATION OF DISPUTE, Box 254, 2474 Walnut Street, Cary, North Carolina, 27518, U.S.A. Epic will send our copy to your registered email address and any billing address You have provided us.

The arbitration will be conducted by a single JAMS arbitrator selected with substantial experience in resolving intellectual-property and commercial-contract disputes. You and Epic both agree that the arbitration will be conducted in the English language and that the arbitrator will be bound by this Agreement.

If an in-person hearing is required, the hearing will take place either in Wake County, North Carolina, or where You reside; you choose.

The arbitrator (not a judge or jury) will resolve the Dispute. Unless You and Epic agree otherwise, any decision or award will include a written statement stating the decision of each claim and the basis for the award, including the arbitrator's essential factual and legal findings and conclusions.

The arbitrator may only award legal or equitable remedies that are requested by You or Epic to satisfy one of our individual claims (that the arbitrator determines are supported by credible relevant evidence). The arbitrator may not award relief against Epic respecting any person other than You.

Any decision or award may be enforced as a final judgment by any court of competent jurisdiction or, if applicable, application may be made to such court for judicial acceptance of any award and an order of enforcement.

12.3.3 Arbitration Fees and Location:

If You start the arbitration, you must pay the JAMS filing fee required for consumer arbitrations.

In some situations, Epic will help with your fees to (hopefully) get us to a resolution quickly and fairly:

If the Dispute involves $10,000 or less, Epic will pay all of the JAMS costs, including the fees you otherwise would have been required to pay.

If the above doesn't apply to You, but You demonstrate that arbitration costs will be prohibitive compared to litigation costs, Epic will pay as much of your JAMS costs as the arbitrator finds is necessary to prevent arbitration from being cost-prohibitive (as compared to the cost of litigation).

Even if Epic wins the arbitration and the applicable law or the JAMS Rules allow Epic to seek our portion of the JAMS fees from you, we won't.

The fee assistance offered above is contingent upon You bringing the arbitration claim in "good faith". If the arbitrator finds You brought an arbitration claim against Epic for an improper purpose, frivolously, or without a sufficient pre-claim investigation into the facts or applicable law, then the payment of all fees will be governed by the JAMS rules.

JAMS costs do not include your Attorneys' fees and costs and Attorneys' fees and JAMS costs are not counted when determining how much a dispute involves.

Epic won't seek our attorneys' fees or expenses from you in any arbitration, even if the law or the JAMS rules entitle us to do so. If you choose to be represented by an attorney, you will pay your own attorneys' fees and costs unless the applicable law provides otherwise.

12.3.4 Notice and Filing. If a Dispute must be arbitrated, You or Epic must start arbitration of the Dispute within two (2) years from when the Dispute first arose. If applicable law requires you to bring a claim for a Dispute sooner than two years after the Dispute first arose, you must start arbitration in that earlier time period. Epic encourages You to tell us about a Dispute as soon as possible so we can work to resolve it. The failure to provide timely notice shall bar all claims.

12.3.5 Continuation in Effect. This Binding Individual Arbitration section survives any termination of this Agreement or Epic's provision of services to You.

12.3.6 Future Arbitration Changes. Although Epic may revise this Agreement in its discretion, Epic does not have the right to alter this agreement to arbitrate or the rules specified herein with respect to any Dispute once that Dispute arises.

12.4 Class Action Waiver.

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, You and Epic agree to only bring Disputes in an individual capacity and shall not:

seek to bring, join, or participate in any class or representative action, collective or class-wide arbitration, or any other action where another individual or entity acts in a representative capacity (e.g., private attorney general actions); or

consolidate or combine individual proceedings or permit an arbitrator to do so without the express consent of all parties to this Agreement and all other actions or arbitrations.

12.5 Severability.

If all or any provision of this Binding Individual Arbitration agreement is found invalid, unenforceable, or illegal, then You and Epic agree that the provision will be severed and the rest of the agreement shall remain in effect and be construed as if any severed provision had not been included. The sole exception is that if the Class Action Waiver is found invalid, unenforceable, or illegal, You and Epic agree that it will not be severable; this entire Binding Individual Arbitration section will be void and unenforceable and any dispute will be resolved in court subject to the venue and choice of clauses specified in this Agreement. Under no circumstances shall arbitration be conducted on a class basis without Epic's express consent.

12.6 Your 30-Day Right to Opt Out

You have the right to opt out of and not to be bound by the arbitration and class action waiver provisions set forth in this Agreement. To exercise this right, You must send written notice of your decision to the following address: Epic Games, Inc., Legal Department, ATTN: ARBITRATION OPT-OUT, Box 254, 2474 Walnut Street, Cary, North Carolina, 27518, U.S.A. Your notice must include your name, mailing address, and account name you use while playing Fortnite, and state that you do not wish to resolve disputes with Epic through arbitration. To be effective, this notice must be postmarked or deposited within 30 days of the date on which you first accepted this Agreement unless a longer period is required by applicable law; otherwise you will be bound to arbitrate disputes in accordance with this section. You are responsible for ensuring that Epic receives your opt-out notice, so you may wish to send it by a means that provides for a delivery receipt. If you opt out of these arbitration provisions, Epic will not be bound by them with respect to Disputes with you.

13. U.S. Government Matters

The Software is a "Commercial Item" (as defined at 48 C.F.R. §2.101), consisting of "Commercial Computer Software" and "Commercial Computer Software Documentation" (as used in 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. §227.7202, as applicable). The Software is being licensed to U.S. Government end users only as Commercial Items and with only those rights as are granted to other licensees under this Agreement.

You agree to comply with all applicable federal and foreign laws, regulations, and rules, and complete any required undertakings. You agree not to use, export, re-export, or download the Software or Services into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Denial Orders. You represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any U.S. restricted or prohibited country or on any U.S. restricted or prohibited list.

14. Amendments of this Agreement

Epic may issue an amended Agreement, Terms of Service, or Privacy Policy at any time in its discretion by posting the amended Agreement, Terms of Service, or Privacy Policy on its website or by providing you with digital access to amended versions of any of these documents when you next access the Software. If any amendment to this Agreement, the Terms of Service, or Privacy Policy is not acceptable to you, you may terminate this Agreement and must stop using the Software. Your continued use of the Software will demonstrate your acceptance of the amended Agreement and Terms of Service as well as your acknowledgement that you have read the amended Privacy Policy.

15. No Assignment

You may not, without the prior written consent of Epic, assign, transfer, charge, or sub-contract all or any of your rights or obligations under this Agreement, and any attempt without that consent will be null and void. If restrictions on transfer of the Software in this Agreement are not enforceable under the law of your country, then this Agreement will be binding on any recipient of the Software. Epic may at any time assign, transfer, charge, or sub-contract all or any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement.

16. Definitions

As used in this Agreement, the following capitalized words have the following meanings:

"Cheat Detection" means functionality intended to identify Cheats.

"Cheats" means programs, methods, or other processes which may give players an unfair competitive advantage in the Software.

"Confidential Information" means any non-public information related to the Software, including without limitation information related to gameplay or other content, Game Currency, Content, the Services, your own feedback and comments, and the feedback or comments of any other licensee of the Software or any Epic representative.

"Content" means any virtual items, virtual environments (such as islands), or other content that Epic makes available for you to access or download through or in connection with the Software, and expressly includes Licensed Music, and UGC that has been licensed to us by our users.

"Epic" means, depending on the location of your primary residence:

a. Epic Games, Inc., a Maryland Corporation having its principal business offices at Box 254, 2474 Walnut Street, Cary, North Carolina, 27518, U.S.A.; or

b. Epic Games International S.à r.l., a Luxembourg Société à Responsibilité Limitée, located at Atrium Business Park, 33 rue du Puits Romain, L8070 Bertrange, Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, acting through its Swiss branch, having its principal business offices at Platz 3, 6039 Root, Switzerland.

"Feedback" means any feedback or suggestions that you provide to Epic regarding the Software, Services or other Epic products and services.

"Services" means any services made available to you through the Software, including services to acquire, maintain and use Game Currency and Content.

"Software" means the proprietary software application known as Fortnite, and any patches, updates, and upgrades to the application, and all related content and documentation made available to you by Epic under this Agreement, including but not limited to all software code, titles, themes, objects, characters, names, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, stories, artwork, animation, concepts, sounds, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, and musical compositions that are related to the application, and any copies of any of the foregoing. Software specifically includes all Game Currency and Content for which you have paid the associated fee or otherwise acquired a license under Section 4.

17. Miscellaneous

This Agreement and any document or information referred to in this Agreement constitute the entire agreement between you and Epic relating to the subject matter covered by this Agreement. All other communications, proposals, and representations with respect to the subject matter covered by this Agreement are excluded.

The original of this Agreement is in English; any translations are provided for reference purposes only. It is the express wish of the parties that these Terms and all related documents have been drawn up in English. Les parties déclarent qu'elles ont demandé et par les présentes confirment leur desir exprés que cette convention soit rédigee en anglais. You waive any right you may have under the law of your country to have this Agreement written or construed in the language of any other country.

This Agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights under the laws of your jurisdiction. This Agreement does not change your rights under the laws of your jurisdiction if the laws of your jurisdiction do not permit it to do so. Limitations and exclusions of warranties and remedies in this Agreement may not apply to you because your jurisdiction may not allow them in your particular circumstance. In the event that certain provisions of this Agreement are held by a court or tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, those provisions shall be enforced only to the furthest extent possible under applicable law and the remaining terms of this Agreement will remain in full force and effect.

Any act by Epic to exercise, or failure or delay in exercise of, any of its rights under this Agreement, at law or in equity will not be deemed a waiver of those or any other rights or remedies available in contract, at law or in equity.

You agree that this Agreement does not confer any rights or remedies on any person other than the parties to this Agreement, except as expressly stated.

Epic's obligations are subject to existing laws and legal process, and Epic may comply with law enforcement or regulatory requests or requirements despite any contrary term in this Agreement.

18. Additional Platform Terms

18.1 Sony PlayStation Users:

The following additional terms and conditions apply with respect to Software available for use on PlayStation devices that you own or control:

Please note that Epic will store Sony Entertainment Network account information, including your email address and Online ID, as explained in Epic's Privacy Policy. Epic may allow its users to search for other Epic accounts by their SEN account and other Epic users may send you friend requests. Your SEN account privacy settings will not apply to your Epic account.

In no event may you convert any Software virtual currency into real currency, tangible goods, or in-kind consideration, and you are expressly forbidden from engaging in off-platform sales or exchanges of such virtual currency, such as at eBay or other auction sites.

For SIEA users: Purchase and use of items are subject to the Network Terms of Service and User Agreement. This online service has been sublicensed to you by Sony Interactive Entertainment America.

For SIEE users: Any content purchased in an in-game store will be purchased from Sony Interactive Entertainment Network Europe Limited ("SIENE") and be subject to PlayStation™ Network Terms of Service and User Agreement which is available on the PlayStation® Store. Please check usage rights for each purchase as these may differ from item to item. Unless otherwise shown, content available in any in-game store has the same age rating as the game.

18.2 Microsoft Xbox Users.

The following additional terms and conditions apply with respect to Software available for use on Xbox Live devices that you own or control:

Neither Microsoft Corporation nor any of its affiliates (collectively, "Microsoft") have any maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services.

Nothing in this Agreement shall govern or change, in any way, your relationship with Microsoft under any agreements between you and Microsoft, including the Xbox Live terms of use.

Further, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the aggregate liability of the Epic Parties (other than Microsoft) arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) or Services will not exceed the total amounts you have paid (if any) to Epic for the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the events giving rise to such liability and Microsoft shall have no liability to you arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or the Software (including any Game Currency or Content) or Services. These limitations and exclusions regarding damages apply even if any remedy fails to provide adequate compensation.

18.3 Apple iOS Users.

The following additional terms and conditions apply with respect to Software available for use on any Apple, Inc. ("Apple") iPhone or iPad devices that you own or control:

You acknowledge that your agreement is not with Apple. Epic, not Apple, is solely responsible for the Software and the content thereof.

Your use of the Software shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement and as permitted by the Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions as of the date you download or first use the Software (which you acknowledge you have had the opportunity to review).

You agree that Apple has no maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services.

You acknowledge and agree that Apple is not responsible for any product warranties, whether express or implied by law, with respect to the Software or Services. If you are legally entitled to a warranty in your country or other jurisdiction, then in the event of any failure of the Software or Services to conform to such required warranty, you may notify Apple, and Apple will refund the purchase price, if any, paid by you to Apple for the Software. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the Software or Services, and any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to such required warranty will be Epic's sole responsibility. However, you understand and agree that in accordance with this Agreement, Epic has disclaimed all warranties of any kind with respect to the Software and Services, and therefore, there are no warranties applicable to the Software or Services, except those required by law.

As between Apple and Epic, Epic, not Apple, is responsible for addressing your or any third party's claims relating to the Software or Services or your possession and/or use of the Software or Services, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the Software or Services fail to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation. In the event of any third party claim that the Software or Services or your possession and use of the Software or Services infringes that third party's intellectual property rights, Epic, not Apple, will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim (if and to the extent required under this Agreement).

You agree that this Agreement does not confer any rights or remedies on any person other than the parties to this Agreement, except as expressly stated. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Apple, and Apple's subsidiaries, are third party beneficiaries of this Agreement, and upon your acceptance of this Agreement, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce this Agreement against you as a third party beneficiary thereof.

Any end-user questions, complaints or claims with respect to the Software should be directed to [email protected].

18.4 Samsung GALAXY Users.

The following additional terms and conditions apply with respect to Software available for use on the Samsung GALAXY devices that you own or control:

The Software may provide you the ability to make payments through Samsung's In-App-Purchase APIs. In the event that you make a payment using Samsung's In-App-Purchase, the Samsung GALAXY Apps Terms and Conditions that you entered into with Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (or its affiliates) regarding the use of Samsung's In-App-Purchase and its equivalent terms shall apply to the payment and any refunds related to such payment.

Any way to compare against anything prior?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So basically they admit they are doing free PR for Epic because they 'believe' in Epic
You could definitely read it that way.

graham smith said:
The software accesses the file but that's different than sending it to Epic's servers, where Epic could do something with it. The last part only happens if you decide to import Steam friends.

Graham Smith said:
We didn't lose our teeth we just decided that it wasn't productive to bite people in every situation.

graham smith said:
Here's the article we wrote about Epic signing up exclusives, in which we say that the Epic Game Store is rubbish and the exclusives are a bad way about building an audience: link to rockpapershotgun.com

Just because we don't want to join an anti-Epic crusade because you want to buy your games on Steam doesn't mean we are being paid by Epic.

Regarding Steam? Yeah, we're critical of them. They're also the first store we link for pretty much every game we write about? And Unknown Pleasures on a Friday is exclusively about Steam games? And we run Steam Charts on Mondays? And we were very critical of Steam when it launched and was rubbish and have praised its very many updates and improvements over the past ten years? And we're critical of it now because it has problems, still, just as we've been critical of the Epic Game Store? There's no shortage of pro-Steam coverage around here. It is the de facto platform holder on PC, for better and worse.

As for this story: we're not making excuses, we're just reporting the full context of what has happened rather than working ourselves into a lather based on misinformation and conjecture. Is software looking at data beyond its remit bad? Yes, but the conclusions leapt to in much of the discussion around this are all based on very little, and inspired by ill-feeling towards Epic as much as they are the actual misuse of data. The explanations given by Epic are reasonable. And frankly: Steam and Origin have both been accused of doing similar things with data in years past, to much less fury, and have given similar answers to Epic.

graham smith said:
And we've been critical about it in this instance, but things change, the industry has changed, we care about different things now and we address those things in different ways. We are still extremely critical of many, many things in the game industry at large. We have even been critical of Epic for the exclusives! And I know we are still critical of lots of things because every time it happens we're told we're just trying to create drama to get clicks.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hold up. Was this new?

THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND CLASS-ACTION WAIVER PROVISION. IF YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AND EPIC AGREE TO RESOLVE DISPUTES IN BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO GO TO COURT INDIVIDUALLY OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND EPIC AGREES TO PAY YOUR ARBITRATION COSTS FOR ALL DISPUTES OF UP TO $10,000 THAT ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH (SEE SECTION 12). YOU HAVE A TIME-LIMITED RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THIS WAIVER.

Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal environment (like in Android), Epic would not be able to see Steam's data because it would be isolated to the Steam application itself. I hear talk like "Well, your entire machine needs to be encrypted if you want to have privacy." No. There are such things as permissions and isolation. You can't access private system directories in Windows because the permissions prevent you. Your own user directory is blocked from other users on the machine.

Why is it so wrong to say the data file should not be accessible to Epic in the first place? Whether it be through encryption, permissions, isolation, or any programming construct available.

Not encrypting this type of data is both standard in the industry and entirely reasonable for reasons other people have covered. Without encryption, there's not much you can reasonably do to protect it. As Windows and Linux are set up, stuff in your user directory is generally open to be read and/or edited by other programs. Windows recently (last year) added a way to restrict apps from accessing certain folders, but only letting a specific app access a file isn't something there's an existing mechanism for that I know of, though I'm not an expert. Generally, if you NEED that kind of security, you encrypt the file and accept the consequences. Encrypting files that are unlikely to cause harm if accessed illicitly just because another program might read them would be ridiculous.

Valve is not at fault for their software behaving in a way standard in the industry.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
So let me get this right.
Tim Sweeny who is always moaning about Universal Windows Platform, MS store etc.... seems to find it acceptable for his company to pull this kind of shady practice?

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-gif-7.gif

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
it's interesting. But this is an agreement for Fortnite, and it does not appear to include the launcher.

-At least, reading the definition of "software", I'm struggling to fit the EGS launcher in there. But I don't do IP law, so that doesn't mean anything.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
d
So Valve is mad they are accessing the file yet still didn't fully commit to keep our user data safe by at least TRYING to hide it instead of keeping it in plain sight? *expletive* *expletive*. I'm not sure how others feel, but I find the lack of concern for user's private data is sickening from both of these companies. The Steam application has had what I consider the most sluggish development progress for a team of it's size in the entire history of software development. They have had no real competition so they have barely made progress in the many years since it was developed (In-Home streaming was one of the few new features). I'll stop myself before I go on a rant.

Valve's Doug Lombardi : "The Steam Client locally saves data such as the list of games you own, your friends list and saved login tokens (similar to information stored in web browser cookies)," wrote Lombardi. "This is private user data, stored on the user's home machine and is not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service.

He admits that this is private user data and yet still doesn't commit to protecting it. It's just mind boggling. I know, Epic is the data thief, but Steam left the door open with all your possessions in clear view.
Steam bad, Steam bad, Steam bad

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Steam and Origin have done similar things in the past seems quite beside the point -- if it happened today, it'd be equally as questionable. Especially when "the past" was before GDPR rules that explicitly prevent data being collected (read: not used) without explicit opt-in/opt-out by the person about whom said data is collected. It doesn't matter at all whether its intent is malicious or not. I'm confused as to why Graham Smith doesn't seem to recognize this in any way.

Last edited:

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
I may be mistaken, but I believe that's not possible if you have your profile set to private. And that seems to be the default behavior for all European accounts since the whole gdpr thing came into play.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
it's interesting. But this is an agreement for Fortnite, and it does not appear to include the launcher.

-At least, reading the definition of "software", I'm struggling to fit the EGS launcher in there. But I don't do IP law, so that doesn't mean anything.

This is true... But the data collection actually started before the EGS was a thing, through the Fortnite launcher, so this doesn't necessarily mean that it has nothing to do with the EGS.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that's not possible if you have your profile set to private. And that seems to be the default behavior for all European accounts since the whole gdpr thing came into play.

A third party can still request to import Friend list data, even if the user profile is private, they just have to request that the user makes their profile public temporarily. It can then be reverted to private afterwards. Steamgifts requests some of the same data (games owned, and friends/group info), and their FAQ page states:

Does my Steam profile need to be public to use the site?
You'll need to switch to a public profile when registering, so we can confirm you have a legitimate Steam account that meets our minimum requirements. From that point on, you can use the site with a private profile. However, if you wish to enter giveaways, the site will ask you to switch to a public Steam profile once a week to bring your account up-to-date.

Relik7

Mar 14, 2019
You can tell I was disappointed with Steam's actual response. What I wanted to see from Steam was the following. These are my words mixed with what they released.

It has come to our attention that the Epic launcher has been accessing private user data stored by Steam that was not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service. We want you to know Valve respects the privacy of our users, so we will stop their improper access by improving the way Steam stores user data in the next client update.
I spent hours talking about this breach of privacy here and on (cancerous) Reddit after confirming what the Epic launcher was doing myself. I signed up here because I saw the lively discussion and I had a good time.

Valve is not at fault for their software behaving in a way standard in the industry.
I concede you are right on the Windows platform. Privacy is not in high regard there considering how much spying Windows 10 does itself.

Epic is terrible!
Signing off.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
So Valve is mad they are accessing the file yet still didn't fully commit to keep our user data safe by at least TRYING to hide it instead of keeping it in plain sight? *expletive* *expletive*. I'm not sure how others feel, but I find the lack of concern for user's private data is sickening from both of these companies.

I feel like I could flip a coin as to whether most of the posts in this thread are actually sarcasm or not.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
A third party can still request to import Friend list data, even if the user profile is private, they just have to request that the user makes their profile public temporarily. It can then be reverted to private afterwards. Steamgifts requests some of the same data (games owned, and friends/group info), and their FAQ page states:

You don't actually have to manually make it public right? I imported my Steam friends list into Uplay recently by just signing in to a Steam window clicking to agree to share friends list.

I think the thing with Steamgifts is to check whether you're VAC or trade banned.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018

Rather the point though, no? "There's no good reason for them to breach our privacy." "Well they wouldn't have if you didn't have privacy!"

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You don't actually have to manually make it public right? I imported my Steam friends list into Uplay recently by just signing in to a Steam window clicking to agree to share friends list.

I think the thing with Steamgifts is to check whether you're VAC or trade banned.

Oh, that's a good point about VAC/trade banned... Yeah, I think you're right, there.

Ollolol

Nov 1, 2017
Yesterday, we learned that the Epic Store client was copying a Steam user data file called localconfig.vdf Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said that this process was a rush job designed in "the early days of Fortnite," and that it's going to be fixed. He also said that the Epic Store doesn't use the Steam API due to Epic's own user privacy concerns, not regarding Steam's API in particular, but because of a "general concern of APIs collecting more data than expected."

Valve's Doug Lombardi said that the company is "looking into what information the Epic launcher collects from Steam." It sounds like Valve isn't too pleased about the whole thing. "The Steam Client locally saves data such as the list of games you own, your friends list and saved login tokens (similar to information stored in web browser cookies)," wrote Lombardi. "This is private user data, stored on the user's home machine and is not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service.

Reading through this, it seems Epic never used Steam's API. The way they link your steam friends is collecting local data. Is this a common practise? I mean, for example, when Apex ask me to link my steam friends Origin is doing that through the Steam API right?

So let's pretend that this file called localconfig.vdf only contains my Steam friend list and Epic only collects this AFTER I gave them explicit consent, it wouldn't be an ethical problem here? Even if this wasn't in any way scummy is ok to a program collect a local file instead of using an API?

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this, it seems Epic never used Steam's API. The way they link your steam friends is collecting local data. Is this a common practise? I mean, for example, when Apex ask me to link my steam friends Origin is doing through the Steam API right?

So let's pretend that this file called localconfig.vdf only contains my Steam friend list and Epic only collects this AFTER I gave them explicit consent, it wouldn't be an ethical problem here? Even if this wasn't in any way scummy is ok to a program collect a local file instead of using an API?
No, it is not a common practice. There is a reason APIs exist: when talking with other programs it is better to go through channels that the creator knows of to obtain only information they aprove of (as well as simplifying code, as you dont really need to learn how the program you are communicating to works only how to tell the API to give you the info).

Ollolol

Nov 1, 2017
No, it is not a common practice. There is a reason APIs exist: when talking with other programs it is better to go through channels that the creator knows of to obtain only information they aprove of (as well as simplifying code, as you dont really need to learn how the program you are communicating to works only how to tell the API to give you the info).
Yeah, I know. I was just asking that because Epic openly admit that they are taking local files like if that was a common practise.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah, I know. I was just asking that because Epic openly admit that they are taking local files like if that was a common practise.

Epic is full of shit when they claim that it's normal practice of software to data mine other programs for sensitive information and without using official API's that are available.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Hold up. Was this new?

Some years ago EU courts ruled that TOS's like bundled with software aren't legally binding documents as consumers can't be expected to read all of it, catch every thing like you quoted and in legal light understand them without consultation.

Also EU as larger whole don't give a fuck about their TOS if they look into this and find EGS to violate GDPR.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Valve is mad they are accessing the file yet still didn't fully commit to keep our user data safe by at least TRYING to hide it instead of keeping it in plain sight? *expletive* *expletive*. I'm not sure how others feel, but I find the lack of concern for user's private data is sickening from both of these companies. The Steam application has had what I consider the most sluggish development progress for a team of it's size in the entire history of software development. They have had no real competition so they have barely made progress in the many years since it was developed (In-Home streaming was one of the few new features). I'll stop myself before I go on a rant.

Valve's Doug Lombardi : "The Steam Client locally saves data such as the list of games you own, your friends list and saved login tokens (similar to information stored in web browser cookies)," wrote Lombardi. "This is private user data, stored on the user's home machine and is not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service.

He admits that this is private user data and yet still doesn't commit to protecting it. It's just mind boggling. I know, Epic is the data thief, but Steam left the door open with all your possessions in clear view.
Everything on my computer is private. I don't encrypt every file and I don't expect them to be. On a legacy platform like Win32 where you have to grant software a lot of access to do basic things you're suppose to trust that it won't do things like this and Epic have abused that trust.