Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I still have a soft spot for Roger's performance, but I'm down to see more Black VAs succeed. For reference, Jaleel White voiced Sonic back in The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon back in the 90s.

Sources: Cy & Tails' Channel (Twitter)

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome! Minority VAs deserve all the work they can get, and more than they do

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
For reference, Jaleel White voiced Sonic back in The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon back in the 90s.
He voiced him in two other animated series as well, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' (unofficially known as SatAM) and Sonic Underground. His voice is still the one I default to when thinking of Sonic.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I saw "Drummond" and my heart skipped a beat.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me Brian Drummond is voicing Shadow

Probably back to reprise his knuckles from Sonic Underground.

(Yes I did take this opportunity to post a whole Sonic Underground episode, when else will I get the chance?)

Clip of Deven sounds good, hopefully this show turns out well. At minimum every Sonic Show has been enjoyable in it's own unique way.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Probably back to reprise his knuckles from Sonic Underground.

(Yes I did take this opportunity to post a whole Sonic Underground episode, when else will I get the chance?)

Clip of Deven sounds good, hopefully this show turns out well. At minimum every Sonic Show has been enjoyable in it's own unique way.

I may be in the minority here but Sonic Underground has my favorite opening theme of all the Sonic shows. I still know it by heart and love to annoy my SO by singing it to them with melodramatic levels of passion.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the fandom will respond to this with maturity and acceptance /s

Congrats to Deven on getting such a major role. Looking forward to this show.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
That's cool. Unfortunately, he sounds a lot like Roger Craig Smith in this clip, which is what I was hoping to get away from.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Sounds like he's just doing a Roger Craig Smith impression was hoping for a new take on Sonic that would've been cool.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Wow, lot of canadian voices
wonder why they aren't using the games

A year or so ago Roger Craig Smith and several other of the VAs came out and announced that they were being let go as voice actors, so if I had to put 2 and 2 together, Sega probably planned for the new cast of this series to be the new cast altogether going forward. But then fans rioted and Sega backtracked on firing the voice team.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
With how the internet is going, i expect some bad takes like "but sonic is not a black character!" on youtube ...

going by the short clip, i see it maybe working. It was not the best voice line, but that could be a mismatch between scene and line, or bad directing for that while stey still try to figure it out. Will stay curious.
Will wait curious.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
From what little we've heard, I like Deven Mack as Sonic. It's an improvement from Roger Craig Smith's forceful take on Sonic.

Maybe it's just the shitty scripts he has to deal with, but everything sounds so forced and lol so ironic with his Sonic.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Weird - after all that drama around Roger Craig Smith getting let-go and then re-hired for the games, I was expecting him to be the VA for this too.

Either way, the new guy sounds almost identical in that clip haha

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty cool. You'd think a black dude voicing Sonic wouldn't be a problem due to the first Sonic VA being black, but this is the internet and I'm sure someone somewhere is mad about it.

Mar 11, 2020
I'm down, he doesn't sound bad, just not what i'm used to.

Jaleel White still the best in my mind for Sonic for now but this guy sounds pretty good from the short sample we've heard so far.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I still have a soft spot for Roger's performance, but I'm down to see more Black VAs succeed. For reference, Jaleel White voiced Sonic back in The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon back in the 90s.

Sources: Cy & Tails' Channel (Twitter)

WHAT?! As a huge OG Sonic cartoon fan, I never knew that!

This is an eyeopening video as to why he was chosen to be the voice of Sonic.

Now i want a chili dog....

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT?! As a huge OG Sonic cartoon fan, I never knew that!

This is an eyeopening video as to why he was chosen to be the voice of Sonic.

Now i want a chili dog....

Yeah it was always obviously a business decision pushed by suits, but it's one of those ideal situations where a good business decision also turned out to be a good creative one. Jaleel really worked hard and put his stamp on the character, at a time when he was perceived as little more than a kid doing a one-note sitcom performance.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
He sounds good based on what I've heard so far and glad a black VA is voicing Sonic again. We stay winning.

On another note, Ashleigh Ball being in a Sonic series is also pretty neat as Rainbow Dash is just Sonic but a girl. I wonder if she'll voice Tails and if Shannon will voice Amy.

Dec 30, 2020
He voiced him in two other animated series as well, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' (unofficially known as SatAM) and Sonic Underground. His voice is still the one I default to when thinking of Sonic.
Ah Sonic Underground. Where they went insane and had Jaleel White voice half of the cast. He was great as Manic the Hedgehog, but honestly they should've gone for a different actor to voice Sonia the Hedgehog.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
He really sounds like a mix of Roger Craig Smith and Ben Schwartz. I like it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the clip and the twitter vid, I'm really looking forward to his performance.

The voice cast looks really good. Hopefully the show matches in terms of quality.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Deven Mack sounds good as Sonic based on the Tweet video. He seems very humble about getting the role. I wish him and the rest of the voice cast the best of luck (please let Brian Drummond reprise Knuckles just for the full-circle hilarity).

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Roger Craig Smith will always be my favorite Sonic voice mostly because of the sass he brought in during the Sonic Boom cartoon but Daven doesn't sound bad and I look forward to his performance in Sonic Prime.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Oh wow he sounds GREAT. Kinda bummed they already confirmed Smith is still going to voice him in the games. No offense towards Smith but I was never super into his take and it's been around for too long, I'd love to see this voice in the games one day.