• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would kill for this mode on a version of DMC3SE I already own. Playing through DMC3 in co-op was one of my favorite experiences in the original PS2 version.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
DMC3 Switch Edition is the definitive edition holy shit! If only all games were available physically on a single cart...

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
They really want fans to double dip huh? not biting. Would love to play this with my sister, but won't pay $20 for what should be a free update.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't really like buying digital releases, but I'm more than willing to make an exception here.

Not that I'm complaining, but given the massive amount of ports they've been doing already, I wonder why they specifically decided to go hard on DMC3.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like buying digital releases, but I'm more than willing to make an exception here.

Not that I'm complaining, but given the massive amount of ports they've been doing already, I wonder why they specifically decided to go hard on DMC3.

At least in DMC's case, it is pretty much The Best One(TM) of the series. So I can see why they'd push it real hard.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
They really want fans to double dip huh? not biting. Would love to play this with my sister, but won't pay $20 for what should be a free update.

My assumption is some of their lazier Switch re-releases underperformed, so they've decided to actually put in some effort for a change.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
HOoooooooOOOOoooooly shit this is great. When I first discovered this on the PS2 back in the day my friend and I lost our shit having it local co op enabled is gonna be rad.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Aww man, that's so cool! But it's a shame that it's only local... Still, really happy that it's an option!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Alright, which one of you suggested the Master Sword be included as an additional weapon?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really wonder why they're going all out for this port? Their Switch port sales must be wild.

Regardless I'll probably grab this later on since I really digged DMC5 last year.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
At least in DMC's case, it is pretty much The Best One(TM) of the series. So I can see why they'd push it real hard.
I mean, that I get, but it's still super weird to me that they couldn't even be bothered to add gyro controls to RE4, arguably their most critically acclaimed title ever (and something they already did for previous RE ports on the platform), and then they go and add all of this awesome shit to DMC3.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Really wonder why they're going all out for this port? Their Switch port sales must be wild.

Regardless I'll probably grab this later on since I really digged DMC5 last year.
More like they over-performed so they can now actually give this one a budget of more than $10 like usual capcom money grabs
If the ports were performing well with minimal investment, then rational economic thinking would dictate that they continue to release ports with minimal investment since they sell anyway.
The only reason to change course would be:
a) you identify there is a potentially large market for your wares, and
b) you are unable to gain traction with that market

which leads me to believe those ports underperformed (at least some of them).

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked Capcom is bothering doing this, after they kept treating Switch owners really bad.
I guess that mean those numerous test games are successful for them.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Wonder if they'll address the missing graphical effects and sound issues that were in the previous HD releases.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If the ports were performing well with minimal investment, then rational economic thinking would dictate that they continue to release ports with minimal investment since they sell anyway.

Not really - its just as rational to believe that the ports selling incredibly well meant they allocated more resources to future ones as they could then do even better.

We already know the Resident Evil ports did major numbers (hundreds of thousands) anyway so you're theory is just factually wrong lol

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Not really - its just as rational to believe that the ports selling incredibly well meant they allocated more resources to future ones as they could then do even better.

We already know the Resident Evil ports did major numbers (hundreds of thousands) anyway so you're theory is just factually wrong lol
My theory is saying some of their ports failed. Not all of them.
It's entirely possible DMC1/2 underperformed (for example), so they decided to go hard with DMC3.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they really took the "lazy capcom ports" sentiment to heart it seems. Kind of annoying that they won't be adding these thing to other consoles though. No excuse for that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Resident Evil 4 Switch:
2xscjb.png

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I think The One Who Knocks is right.

Their ports with special features sold very well (Resident Evil R1/R2, Okami...) whereas the basic ones didn't. So they chose to put more efforts on their upcoming legacy releases (which is good).

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So what prompted them to go from absolutely ripping Switch owners off by splitting the trilogy up and selling each game for considerably more than the other systems, to this?

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to take into consideration is that DMC2 is trash and DMC1 is just a wildly different beast from the rest of the series.

The only one worth adding stuff to is 3. It could be a combination of factors that lead to this decision, but they wouldn't bother doing shit for DMC2. It would always be 3 and 4.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Wow, they really took the "lazy capcom ports" sentiment to heart it seems. Kind of annoying that they won't be adding these thing to other consoles though. No excuse for that.
It's easier to justify these kinds of changes to management for a standalone release than a compiled trilogy. You'll see these changes on other consoles when they inevitably port this version to the PS5 and XBsX.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I think The One Who Knocks is right.

Their ports with special features sold very well (Resident Evil R1/R2, Okami...) whereas the basic ones didn't. So they chose to put more efforts on their upcoming legacy releases (which is good).

What special features are in those ports? 4 had nothing - 5 and 6 added gyro lol not exactly special features. Also if your ports do badly very rarely do you then say - port more and make sure you waste more so heres a bigger budget! Something called the sunk cost fallacy exists

But believe what you believe I guess (in spite of evidence to the contrary)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
What special features are in those ports? 4 had nothing - 5 and 6 added gyro lol not exactly special features. Also if your ports do badly very rarely do you then say - port more and make sure you waste more so heres a bigger budget! Something called the sunk cost fallacy exists

Okami Switch is imo the definitive version of the game. They added touch-screen support which makes the combat really shine in portable mode.

Re4 is a basic (and overpriced) port. The fact that it sold less than the Revelations games (which were the ones I mentionned) is telling.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Dont know if you know this but gyro is very relevant tobswitch owners, ive seen interest Damn near disappeared when RE4 got no gyro support

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Okami had touch screen support, RE5 and 6 are the only versions of those games with gyro. Those sold the most (along with REvelations, which happened to be the first Capcom ports on the system).
Conversely, RE4 underperformed, even relative to RE5 and RE6 (!), and DMC1 and 2 presumably did too, leading to 3 getting more effort put into it.

Why spend more money when previous products may have tanked? Because Capcom recognizes the potential for higher sales with their catalog products on Switch (reinforced by higher effort ports actually having done well), and so is trying to appeal to a potentially lucrative market with a bit more investment.

Literally basic economics.