• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Okami had touch screen support, RE5 and 6 are the only versions of those games with gyro. Those sold the most (along with REvelations, which happened to be the first Capcom ports on the system).
Conversely, RE4 underperformed, even relative to RE5 and RE6 (!), and DMC1 and 2 presumably did too, leading to 3 getting more effort put into it.

Why spend more money when previous products may have tanked? Because Capcom recognizes the potential for higher sales with their catalog products on Switch (reinforced by higher effort ports actually having done well), and so is trying to appeal to a potentially lucrative market with a bit more investment.

Literally basic economics.

Its not basic economics that if the first two DMC ports did awfully to go all out on the third. The assumption would be Switch owners don't like DMC not Switch owners only like enhanced ports (if adding in something as basic as gyro / touchscreen equates to enhanced). You are going against what the market is telling you. Basic economics would be to cut your losses and not release anything.

Also what numbers are you using? Okami sure did not sell as much as RE4

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are going all out in this port. I absolutely love it. I wish more games got love like this in their ports.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
None of my friends in America play DMC really. Gotta go back to Japan and play with my DMC pro buddy.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would have assumed all these upgrades would come to the ps4 version but this local coop has no chance. I guess I'm going to have to buy this for the tenth time.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
While it's amazing that this even happened at all... Why only Bloody Palace? Doppelganger co-op worked throughout the entire single player story mode. So why not have this expanded co-op also in the main game?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, that I get, but it's still super weird to me that they couldn't even be bothered to add gyro controls to RE4, arguably their most critically acclaimed title ever (and something they already did for previous RE ports on the platform), and then they go and add all of this awesome shit to DMC3.

It's because the people behind DMC are awesome. Sometimes it really comes down to that.

It's cool that people like Matt Walker and Hideaki Itsuno head the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So what prompted them to go from absolutely ripping Switch owners off by splitting the trilogy up and selling each game for considerably more than the other systems, to this?

Itsuno doesn't give a shit about DMC1. It's not his.

DMC2 also outside of a few months of involvement wasn't his either. It also sucked.

DMC3 is his baby though. And is regarded by many as one of the timeless greats in the genre.

DMC3 probably didn't receive that much of a budget either for the port. But I guess they really wanted to do something special with it (budget and time constraints and everything).

Free Style, Free Weapon and Co-op probably wasn't all that expensive to add in either. All the assets are already in-place. It's just a reorganization of how that content is made accessible to the player with more powerful hardware not limited by the PS2.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This Matt guy is so handsome. Very nice eyes <3.

Pretty cool additions, but I don't think I'll be buying it any time soon because I'm busy with other games. Namely Iceborne.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
In this day and age, between work and life and all my friends now being moved and scattered around the countryin different time zones, online co-op is already difficult.

Who the fuck has time to regularly get together for local co-op?

I'm super upset that co-op is finally a thing, but I still can't play it with my best friend.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
In this day and age, between work and life and all my friends now being moved and scattered around the countryin different time zones, online co-op is already difficult.

Who the fuck has time to regularly get together for local co-op?

I'm super upset that co-op is finally a thing, but I still can't play it with my best friend.
For a 20 dollar port implementing netcode and player matching seemed like to steep a price. Sucks because I really have no one to play couch coop with, but I appreciate they put it in.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Just watching the stream now and holy shit, watching two skilled players play co-op is absolute chaos in the the best way possible.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
While it's amazing that this even happened at all... Why only Bloody Palace? Doppelganger co-op worked throughout the entire single player story mode. So why not have this expanded co-op also in the main game?

There is an immense difference in investment in terms of time and money for testing a feature for the entirety of a game versus testing it in an isolated self-contained mode

It's be great, yes, but I totally understand why it's relegated to BP only.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There is an immense difference in investment in terms of time and money for testing a feature for the entirety of a game versus testing it in an isolated self-contained mode

It's be great, yes, but I totally understand why it's relegated to BP only.
But I mean, the game already has co-op built in. They barely have to do anything. All they need to do is swap the doppelganger (which is a second dante) with Vergil. Or if they don't want to, just keep the second Dante that already works throughout the entire campaign and have him not require Super Dante (for unlimited DT energy) and free the circle button for style usage.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's nice to see Capcom put out a remaster with a little more to it. Even beyond Capcom, remasters & ports of remasters are so rarely the slam dunks they should be these days so remasters that have some actual effort put into them is nice to see.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I totally missed this news! Catching up in the live stream now; I love this insight into Itsuno's design philosophy behind the greatest video game ever made. Local co-op isn't going to do anything for me, since I don't know anyone in real life who can play DMC, but I'll happily watch some co-op combo videos.

God, I don't know how any of this happened, but somehow we're getting miracle, perfected re-releases of two of my favourite games at almost the same time. An official DMC3 release with full style/weapon-switching added fifteen years later, and The Wonderful 101 getting a PC version after being Nintendo-exclusive and imprisoned on the Wii U. I would never have dared to dream of either of those things.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they really took the "lazy capcom ports" sentiment to heart it seems. Kind of annoying that they won't be adding these thing to other consoles though. No excuse for that.
"No excuses for me not getting the Switch version over others still, despite the fact that this port has exclusive features to incentivize the Switch version."

Seriously though, with all these changes, I might consider double dipping despite already having this game and its sequel on Steam.