• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...mportant-update-on-dantes-theme-song-subhuman

Edit:

Here is Capcom's official statement:

Earlier this year, we debuted Dante's new battle theme from Devil May Cry 5, "Subhuman", performed by Eddie Hermida feat. Suicide Silence. Shortly after the song's reveal, we were made aware of unfortunate news and allegations about the track's main vocalist Eddie Hermida. While the song was written and recorded in-game well before such allegations, we'd still like to ensure, to the best of our abilities, that your experience with the game ultimately goes unmarred. As such, our development team, producers, recording and mixing teams have worked hard to find and implement a new vocal track by Michael Barr.

For those that don't know, after Capcom hired Eddie Hermida to sing the song 'Subhuman', allegations of sexual misconduct arose of Hermida being involved with a 17 year old. He claimed he thought she was 18. Hermida later apologized.

Capcom and the band Suicide Silence got rid of him, and found a new guy to re-record the vocals. The new guy is named Michael Barr.

(thanks lowhighkang_LHK)

Sounds like they got some of the details wrong, but I guess they're recording a new vocal track?

Remove me from the game if old.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
DtwJJnuUUAUNLMp.jpg

Yuri Araujo said:
Earlier this year, we debuted Dante's new battle theme from Devil May Cry 5, "Subhuman", performed by Eddie Hermida feat. Suicide Silence. Shortly after the song's reveal, we were made aware of unfortunate news and allegations about the track's main vocalist Eddie Hermida. While the song was written and recorded in-game well before such allegations, we'd still like to ensure, to the best of our abilities, that your experience with the game ultimately goes unmarred. As such, our development team, producers, recording and mixing teams have worked hard to find and implement a new vocal track by Michael Barr.

Source: Capcom Unity

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to give the updated version a listen but Subhuman is still a bad song that doesn't fit Dante's style what so ever

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad song still but hopefully the new voice makes it at least somewhat better

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is cool. Kudos to Capcom for this:

Hello everyone, today we have an important update on Dante's theme song "Subhuman." Read on below:

Earlier this year, we debuted Dante's new battle theme from Devil May Cry 5, "Subhuman", performed by Cody Matthew Johnson feat. Suicide Silence. Shortly after the song's reveal, we were made aware of unfortunate news and allegations about the track's main vocalist Cody Matthew Johnson. While the song was written and recorded in-game well before such allegations, we'd still like to ensure, to the best of our abilities, that your experience with the game ultimately goes unmarred. As such, our development team, producers, recording and mixing teams have worked hard to find and implement a new vocal track by Michael Barr.

It is worth noting that the hard work of the Suicide Silence band members, as well as song writers Eddie Hermida & Mark Heylmun, remained intact, as they were not involved with the incidents. As you hear the new track in new promotional materials and in-game, please expect the instrumental parts to sound the same as before. In-game credits have also been updated to properly reflect the new recording.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...mportant-update-on-dantes-theme-song-subhuman

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oddly enough, I found the instrumental to be tolerable. Hopefully the new vocals will help, though I'd imagine that the lyrics won't be changed.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
That's pretty surprising, though part of me wishes they just did another song but I am betting there just weren't the resources for that.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
"Shortly after the song's reveal, we were made aware of unfortunate news and allegations about the track's main vocalist Cody Matthew Johnson."

Unless I'm grossly mistaken, this might be totally incorrect. Eddie Hermida from Suicide Silence was the one who had the allegations against him. Or unless they're talking about something else entirely.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like that the instrumentals will stay but I'm willing to see how the end result sounds before my final judgment.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
There are portions in the song that are straight up epic , including the instrumental part .. All well then .

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the vocals were shit but the song wasn't exactly good. I imagine scrapping it and starting again just wasn't feasible.

Still, I'll wait till I've heard the final song. Not confident though.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Please make the legacy battle themes DLC and not unique to the deluxe edition. I don't ... I don't like Subhuman at all.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Capcom for not throwing the other people who worked on the song under the bus but honestly not a fan of it at all. I doubt a new vocalist will change much.

At least on PC the hooks are there for people to make custom battle themes.

edit: I say that when they Capcpom'd the blog post and mix up the names. :P

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So this basically confirms that tonight's trailer will also be about Dante, right?

This to me reads like "the song you are about to hear is not from the same dude"

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they are keeping the instrumental part. I actually really liked that part of the song.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
jesus i really hope that is a typo that they got the names backward in the post and not that they fired the wrong guy

capcpom please

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Given the situation and the time left, this is about as good a solution as any. Really glad Capcom addressed this. I may not use the song given the inclusion of classic battle themes, but this is a solid resolution to the whole thing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow they really fucked up with the details, Cody Matthew Johnson is one of the music composers, not the vocalist.

This is the new vocalist (At the time-stamp, not the main guy singing). Sounds good.

So it's gonna be the exact same garbage.

Thanks Capcpom.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they mixed up the names in the post? If not they fired the wrong guy LOL.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Based Capgod for doing what they should.

Even more based Capgod editor, a legend that has brought me too much joy from his errors.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a really huge fuck up to mix up the names, the guy could sue them for defamation if he wants to.

Edit:

Ok but what about the song being completely horrendous to listen to
The lyrics themselves suck along with the instrumentals, I fully agree with you, but it was what it is, this whole thing happened because the fans didn't want a sexual predator singing Dante's theme, not because the song itself sucked and the fans decided to use the fact that the lead singer was a rapist to get it out.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Can't wait to hear Michael Barr sing 'Subhuman' .. His voice is spectacularly different from Eddie's . Interesting development .

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Vocals are a big improvement but if the song and lyrics are the same its still trash