• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have never been a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series, and I haven't played all the games, but I thought that DMC 5 looked pretty good so I decided to buy it. Nero is likable as well as Nico, however, the games is just bad. The story is told back and forth, and it really messes up the pace a lot, as well as making it to advance with chapters.

The combat is horrible! I kept comparing it with Sonic. A game where the character is supposed to be fast, but every stage is done so you have to be slow and precise, making it frustrating.

Hate to break it to ya bruv, but the bolded is because you are supposed to keep playing the games untill you learn the layout in sonic, or master the controls and advanced tech with DMC

Either way you have to put the time in to learn the game. Its is not going to give it all away on a silver platter.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Bad player fails to understand combat system. Complains game is bad. News at 9

"Getting an SSS is very hard"

"But the game isnt hard"

Make up your mind. DMC doesn't have the same punishing "Survival" difficulty of say the souls games or even previous DMCs like 3. But Mechanically it is probably one of the hardest games out there. There are so many moves,combos and styles that there are multiple answers to a situation. That depth is exactly what players like to explore.

At the same time the game isn't super hard if you just wanna finish the game by spamming Stinger or something. Game is also super generous with gold orbs.

Post bonus! You received a gold orb!

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, nah, I totally respect that the game is not for you, but the game mechanics are one of the best of the genre.
It's fine to not like it, but that does not make the game objectively bad.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I dont like it either but not because of the combat. Boring levels and 3 characters to learn is not for me.

Also i dont like having to spend orbs on Nero his busters

Oct 25, 2017
If you want SSS to be easy play on easy lol
Actually getting SSS is significantly harder on lower difficulties. On DMD you will be in SSS 100% of the time unless you take hits.

I dont like it either but not because of the combat. Boring levels and 3 characters to learn is not for me.

Also i dont like having to spend orbs on Nero his busters

I genuinely don't think I've purchased a single devil breaker for Nero throughout the game lol. Playing the demo had me thinking I was going to be annoyed by it but I completely ignored it in the full game and always have what I need regardless. I don't use break age moves frivolously so that probably helps.

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV is basically a AAA arcade game with anime-style cutscenes.

I loved the artistic commitment to that format in today's day in age. You don't see many of those.

Yep, it's a game that is proud of being a game before anything else, focusing 100% on its incredible combat and enemy/boss design which is probably the best ever made for an action title.

I hope it's a parody/joke thread because it's too much.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is horrible!
...but the mechanics feel slow and limited.
tenor.gif

Edit: The V sections did suck for the most part tho.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
"The hits don't feel satisfying because the enemies don't react to getting hit with most of your combos, and they can continue hitting you while you are hitting them."

Are you only using guns, OP?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you want dial a combos and bosses to be punching bags. You can get the former if you turn on auto assist and the latter if you bump the difficulty down to easy.

The game is a masterpiece.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The combat is good but eveeything else is boring as fuck ie level designs, boss designs etc

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry you didn't like it, OP. Hope you get a good trade-in value for it.

It was an SSS game for me.

IGgy IGsen

Mar 19, 2019
I mean, it's okay that you don't like the game, everybody enjoys different things and plays games for different reasons and has different expectations going into a game. But I enjoyed it. So for me it was enjoyable.
In fact I thought it was the best ever. Except V, maybe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but it felt like a step down from DMC3 in the level design and general pacing department. Too linear, levels were too short, too many cutscenes and loading screens, and V's entire existence is flawed.

It's a great candidate for a Director's Cut, really.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
DMCV is arguably the best character action game ever created with galaxy as skill ceiling.

OP, no offense but you plainly just suck.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I really wish people could differentiate between not enjoying a game and a game being bad.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't enjoy it either, op. Era will tell you you're stupid and bad for thinking like this, though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The combat is horrible! I kept comparing it with Sonic. A game where the character is supposed to be fast, but every stage is done so you have to be slow and precise, making it frustrating. Same with DMC 5, combat should be fluid so that you can build up combos, but the mechanics feel slow and limited.
You being bad at the game is the issue here. The combat is incredibly fluid and nowhere near slow or limited. The answer here is literally to just get better at the game....
e1xgeWp.gif

DCRN4mP.gif

This feels like a thread straight of of gamefaqs...

I didn't enjoy it either, op. Era will tell you you're stupid and bad for thinking like this, though.
There's a very explicit difference between "You know what, this game just isn't for me." and "This game is flawed because i'm not good at it." OP decided to use the latter as a starting point for a thread. Nice persecution complex tho..

Rex Prime

Jul 29, 2018
Sounds like you simply have a terrible handle at the controls and moves. DMC games aren't for everybody for sure but you aren't gonna get anywhere by spewing factually incorrect things based on your ignorance and lack of skill in the combat. Those videos of people getting SSS and 1000 hit combos? maybe you should give them another look, because if you actually pay attention you will see them doing a lot of things you aren't doing, then maybe you will learn something and be able to surpass your current skill level.

I do agree that the constant switching between characters was a bad idea tho, and V sucks, but the game overall? One that I am gonna be playing for years!

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The story is shit and leads to nowhere. For 3 characters the game is way to short. One character fucking sucks.

I'm not too big of a fan either.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's a difference between I didn't enjoy this game and "This game is NOT enjoyable" thread titles always feel like clickbait articles on here. Just say "Why i didn't like DMCV" that wouldn't go over bad at all

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is horrible! I kept comparing it with Sonic. A game where the character is supposed to be fast, but every stage is done so you have to be slow and precise, making it frustrating. Same with DMC 5, combat should be fluid so that you can build up combos, but the mechanics feel slow and limited.

Holy shit what complete nonsense.

*look at avatar*

I lol'd.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The combat is probably slow and clunky for Nero if you don't learn how to use his grappling mechanic and the devil breakers. And then you get to Dante and the game's combat becomes fucking EXHILARATING

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
OP, if you want to style on and don't want to actually learn the game, turn on auto-assist in options. Like I don't mean this dismissively, but if you think the game's combat isn't deep(it...very much is) I imagine you aren't really engaging it so you might as well turn on auto-assist, easy mode and enjoy the combos happening automatically.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
The combat, music, graphics are amazing. The story however I've found pretty boring so far. Maybe it'll payoff in the end but I'm just not liking it. It has it's moments but nothing more.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny because your post is a double whammy of also telling me that you don't understand the original Sonic games either.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
This is an example of a game that was not for me at all.
however, the games is just bad.
These are two different sentiments, and only one is true.

No, they'll tell you the difference between "I didn't enjoy it" and "this game is bad with shit combat and NOT an enjoyable game".

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The story is shit and leads to nowhere. For 3 characters the game is way to short.
The game is meant to be played more than once, each time on a higher difficulty with a better understanding of the mechanics... like the first runthrough is a borderline tutorial. You really cannot argue that the game likes content with a straight face.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's a difference between I didn't enjoy this game and "This game is NOT enjoyable" thread titles always feel like clickbait articles on here. Just say "Why i didn't like DMCV" that wouldn't go over bad at all

It's all the same though? OP is posting his opinion, not a fact piece. I mean they even end it with "What did you think about this game, and have you ever played a game that even though you are so close to finish it, you just can't?", so it isn't like they're coming to this conclusion that everyone else dislikes it

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You sure you're not playing Sekiro and thinking it's DMC? The moves are slow, limited....WHAT?!?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I can relate to the story criticism in regard to the time skipping. I wasn't too fond of that.

However, the combat is way deeper than you're giving it credit for OP. It's just that delving it it to maximize the potential takes multiple playthroughs and the desire to do so. I can totally get it's not for everyone, but I think you're mischaracterizing it.

If you don't enjoy it, that's fine. Not everyone is into how the game approaches it, but it nails what it seeks out to do.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"The combat is horrible! I kept comparing it with Sonic. A game where the character is supposed to be fast, but every stage is done so you have to be slow and precise, making it frustrating"

This is quite possibly the worst opinion this year.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It's all the same though? OP is posting his opinion, not a fact piece. I mean they even end it with "What did you think about this game, and have you ever played a game that even though you are so close to finish it, you just can't?", so it isn't like they're coming to this conclusion that everyone else dislikes it
Op is scientifically wrong.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
OP have you tried DmC?
Op, if you haven't played DmC then maybe it's a good shout to help you understand the DNA of these games a bit better.

It's DMC but with a lower barrier to entry and a lot of other stuff neutered but it's a fine place to start with a more curated style to its combat which guides players a bit more. Versus DMC which gives the players the tools and lets them work it out themselves

You said you played 4 but I guess that was really long ago.