• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The combat is horrible!
giphy.gif

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Maybe it just isn't for you?, I realized after DMC 4 and DmC that the series isn't for me, no matter how well made they are.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I give the OP credit for trying it even though they know they don't like the series.

Don't agree though personally.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Poster with arkham clone gameplay game avatar complaining about dmc 5's combat is something alright.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fairly fun but it's certainly not the savior of video games that this forum would have you believe. I think it may be a bit too anime for me.

That being said, the combat is fucking great OP, I honestly don't know what you're on about there.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I have an honest question. I understand when people say it looks bland cause it's essentially a dark game from a color palette perspective. However what more do you want in terms of level design, like what in particular is it lacking?
For me it was the variety. I want more than concrete and demon red.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't say its horrible - just not for me thus far. I bounced off of 4 the same way. Something about the combat doesn't appeal to me like NG, Sekiro, Bayonetta, MGR etc.

i will say the game does take away control wayyyy too much though. Constantly breaking up the flow of exploration and combat. I got 3 hours in and it drove me crazy, dunno if it gets better about that later.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Informed opinions kind of matter.

Calling the combat bad when you clearly have no clue how to play the game? Address your lack information before passing judgment.

You had the experience you did because you don't like the presentation of the game, and you don't know how to use its mechanics. One of those things can be fixed, if you care to learn.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Combat...bad? In dmcv? Unacceptable phrase when dante is the best action game character I've ever controlled. His options are fucking bonkers

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I agree somewhat and I've played and enjoyed all of them in the past (hell even DMC2).

I think the combat is fun but nothing else has grabbed me so far. The environments are the worst offenders. Everything is so drab and gray and brown and just...very unappealing to the eyes. Every level's environment so far has been frustratingly boring.

I don't care one bit about V and groan every time I have to play as him. I don't find his combat all that enjoyable.

There's seemingly a cutscene that interrupts the flow of the game in what feels like every minute or so, and many of them for insignificant things.

Honestly the amount of 9's and above given in a lot of reviews are really surprising to me.

I don't know, I've had it since launch week and I think I'm on chapter 12 or so now with barely any urge to jump back in. I'll complete it just to see it through but I can't saying I'm having fun, which is surprising because I thought I would.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Honestly at this point guys we're just bullying the OP. It's obvious his opinion is a hottake (so maybe he deserves it) but a legion of ResetERA users saying he's wrong isn't doing anything to convince him otherwise.

Even the greatest games are not liked by everyone. But thanks for sharing OP, I guess.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
The original DMC blew me the hell away, one of my favorite PS2 games of all time.

Like most fans, I thought DMC 2 was a real POS.

I was way into importing on the PS2, so I imported DMC3 when it came out. If you're not aware, the original JP version of DMC3 was fucking hardcore. You had to buy continues by spending valuable orbs on them which were much better spent on upgrades, and they weren't cheap... so if you weren't a zen master you could easily find yourself in a position where you just GAME OVER and have to start at the very beginning again. I'm no zen master, so it wasn't long before I had a very angry "THIS IS BULLSHIT, FUCK THIS GAME" attitude towards DMC3.

Later on it was finally released in the US minus the hardcore 'spend your orbs on continues' crap and DMC fans were saying DMC3 was now the best game in the series. "What the hell are these guys talking about? Fuck that bullshit game." I played the US version and had no problem beating it, but I dunno, I guess my opinion was already hopelessly tainted. I just didn't think it was all that great. Certainly not better than the classic original.

I was pretty stoked when DMC4 came out, but I got bored and never finished it. The last thing I remember is a puzzle where you have to push some kind of column around on a tile floor or something. I always intended to go back and complete it, but I never did. I have a copy of the PS4 remaster, can't even remember when I got it... still haven't cracked the seal.

DMC5 looks great, and I have a copy of that too... but I have no idea when I'll get around to playing it. I really want to finish DMC4 first.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op, you gotta learn to avoid games you know going in you will hate, regardless of how hugely hyped and praised they are. DMC5 could be the bbest game ever made and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Horrible environments,the main characters, "stylish" action juggle/combo gameplay are staples of the series and all turned me off the series a long time ago. You should have known what you were getting when you bought it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Combat makes or breaks an action game for me or an action rpg for instance, doesn't matter about everything else since combat is what the majority of the gameplay involves, and since DMC5 has an insanely good combat system it's pretty much one of the best games I've played. Saying the combat is terrible most likely means you're terrible at it so you think it's bad, and it's not like I'm saying you need to learn advanced combos and such, the GIFs I've posted here are all basic stuff in the game with just good timing, it feels satisfying as all hell and looks phenomenal.

4aCysPn.gif

G4k5Nxu.gif

VCV77kr.gif

& of course if you want to delve further into the combat it's one of the deepest combat systems ever so there's always new stuff to learn and pull off, there's a reason why it's rated so high, it's just that good.

31wcSrH.gif

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point guys we're just bullying the OP. It's obvious his opinion is a hottake (so maybe he deserves it) but a legion of ResetERA users saying he's wrong isn't doing anything to convince him otherwise.

Even the greatest games are not liked by everyone. But thanks for sharing OP, I guess.

Nobodies really trying to convince him, lol.

If I make a thread about how Metal Gear Solid is a shitastic stealth series that is super shallow (which I of course don't believe), the entire thread is gonna be a dogpile. Even if I were to believe that, leading with such a statement will never end well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Limiting" is not a phrase I would have expected to see when referred to DMC5.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017

It's a good lesson to think ahead before posting whatever pops into one's head. A little light ribbing helps drive the lesson home. We need less of these types of threads on this forum. A well-thought out criticism is welcome but the OP is far from it.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
I struggled with the hour of cut scenes I had to skip through with 2min of actual gameplay and haven't returned. When I was allowed to play the combat seemed good?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never in a million years did i think someone would be serious about thinking that the combat in DMC5 being "bad"

LMAO.

Dec 20, 2018
Between this thread and the thread earlier that said medium buttons in fighting games were useless, I don't even know anymore.

These gotta be bait threads right?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Speed and fluidity come with time. The first lesson the game is trying to teach you that you shouldn't just stand in place and tank damage. Once you learn the movement system and the enemy attack tells chaining together stylish attacks becomes effortless.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I dig it, especially the incredibly pristine presentation and hilarious cutscenes, but I feel you on some parts of the combat

I would not at all say the combat mechanics are not well constructed, but I also have issues finding the right flow

I do fine with Nero because his grappling hook and Devil Arm things make it simple to keep a combo going, but I have a ton of trouble with the other two characters. V and Dante are both highly entertaining, but the former has issues with combat because his animal buddies aren't responsive enough, and Dante's mechanics just feel stiff. Whenever I switch to him, I really feel like I'm playing a PS2 game.

I clocked in a few hours and look back at that time with positivity, but there's nothing pulling me back to finish other than the story

I'll catch hell for this, but I clicked with the gameplay in DmC a lot more. Sorry DMCEra!

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reads like you are just bad at the game. It has many faults (like all DMC games) but the combat and core gameplay isn't one of them.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone will have different tastes, I guess. I love DMC, but loathe and hate the Dark Souls series. Also seeing the OP's avatar, I also found Spider-Man for the PS4 to be a mediocre game. Especially disappointing, given how much I love the character and comics.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I think 5 is so much easier to get into than 1, 3 or 4. Devil Hunter is really a smooth ride with plenty of gold orbs to spare. Probably too easy, in fact.

And you don't have to be good to make the combat look amazing.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I struggled with the hour of cut scenes I had to skip through with 2min of actual gameplay and haven't returned. When I was allowed to play the combat seemed good?
Not getting the cutscene complaints. They're pretty much treats for beginning and finishing levels, along with new enemy and boss intros. The series is structured in a way that encourages replayability as you go along, so it only takes a couple seconds to skip any cutscene and get right back into the action.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero experience with the series and think it's fun lol

I'm on "human" mode though, which I guess is probably easy but * if I care, it's enjoyable. Were you on a harder difficulty? Maybe bump it down.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Huh thats weird i thought the game lacked cutscenes or they were too short. Or you mean the cinematic door breaking ones such a staple of the series

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I think this is the first time in the history of the world that somebody is calling DMC combat "horrible".

That's like saying sugar is salty or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Having just finally gotten around to giving DMC4SE a proper shake last month and playing through DMC5 this past week I'll say that DMC is certainly a series you need to get a feel for. Other action games like Bayonetta are definitely a bit more friendly to just pick up and play. Nero is pretty great at being a pretty friendly character to new players but even then you can certainly feel that little bit clumsy when you start out. Even in spite of the game's tutorials being better than ever. When I first played DMC5's demo? I failed multiple times. When I came back to it after playing through DMC4SE (once on Devil Hunter and then just after Credo on SOS) and it was more of a breeze.

That's kind of one of the things about Devil May Cry that is really satisfying, though, its mechanics are legit and the more you play the better you get.

DMC5 is amazing. The characters all have really cool kits (Holy shit@Dante, there's so much there to wrapy head around) and I think it has an excellent story mode. I had a real blast with it. I certainly do agree that switching characters regularly makes it a bit harder to really learn them, though.

I don't really think you should be trying to slam it as not an enjoyable game or as "broken". You don't like it, that's fine, but it's very clearly a high quality game. It's not broken, it's just a game that prioritises rewarding mastery in its rating system.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I agree with you OP but for entirely different reasons.

For me, it was the microtransactions and the nickel-and-diming present in the game that just threw me off.

They charge extra just for footage from the development of the game and people just lapped it up like Itsuno was personally baptizing our children. I for one can't support such shady business practices.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I agree with you OP but for entirely different reasons.

For me, it was the microtransactions and the nickel-and-diming present in the game that just threw me off.

They charge extra just for footage from the development of the game and people just lapped it up like Itsuno was personally baptizing our children. I for one can't support such shady business practices.
Ok that was funny.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
He's right, it's not enjoyable.

...It's REALLY fucking enjoyable, get it right. Gotta add the extra emphasis.