• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Being better than God of War is a tall order so we'll have to wait and see.
iL0Xb6y.gif

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
everything I see and hear about his game seems great. After playing the demo, the Nero combat in 4 seems better than this? The exceed attacks feel like they have no weight behind them either.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Slow your roll, dude. Bayonetta 3 hasn't even been shown yet. Also, the camera is terrible in the demo. It feels like more DMC. Granted I'm okay with that, but action game of the gen? Nahhhhhhh.
I don't really have faith in Platinum to make Bayonetta 3 the GOAT action game after 2. Both are great, but DMC5 just seems to be on another level in my eyes. Granted we haven't seen Bayo 3 yet so it's hard to judge, aye? But still, gameplay aside, things like presentation, Bayonetta won't be able to compete with DMC5 at all simply due to the nature of the platform its locked to. DMC5 pushing that RE Engine goodness at 4K 60fps on the enhanced consoles. Game truly is a stunner.

PhoneBooth_Van_png_jpgcopy.jpg

UVdczQf.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking that Bayonetta 3 will suprass DMC 5 while both Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 never managed to surpass DMC 4 gameplay and mechanics.

Good Luck to PG.
Bayo feels waaaaaay better to control than anyone in DMC4. Perhaps the mechanical depth isn't quite as deep, but being able to dodge smoothly goes a long way. Older DMC games are honestly pretty janky in terms of movement. NG and Bayo feel like butter compared to them.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be good, but I was surprised how similar it felt to DMC4. At this point I'm kind of expecting franchises to be shaken up, turned inside out and striking new ground. This felt like a better DMC4 and that was about it.
I have an honest question, what did you expect?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Bayonetta 3 fails to revert back to - or at least iterate upon - the dense combat structure and overall design of Bayonetta 1 (sans the QTEs obviously), maybe DMC5 will be the best of this gen. Bayonetta 1 is still the master of any of these titles as far as I'm concerned, though to be fair I expect both DMC5 and Bayonetta 3 will have a hard time one-upping it.

Having said that, I expect Dante will be the best he's ever been. It's hard to fuck him up at this rate since he was basically perfected in DMC4 - guess it's going to depend on the new weapons they give him. Nero's Devil Breakers are great, but making them a disposable resource is a nope for me, it feels like an arbitrary limitation that's only continuing this series' trend of holding itself back. V is... I don't know what the fuck. He looks kinda lame to me but people say he's a highlight so I guess we'll see?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Bayo feels waaaaaay better to control than anyone in DMC4. Perhaps the mechanical depth isn't quite as deep, but being able to dodge smoothly goes a long way. Older DMC games are honestly pretty janky in terms of movement. NG and Bayo feel like butter compared to them.

Eh only jumping is really smoother than DMC4

Bayonetta relies too much on dodging, DMC not so much, in the latter you jump way more often to avoid.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its definitely going to be the best this gen for me for sure just with the combat depth, DMC5 also doesn't have much competition in terms of gameplay and variety with only Bayo 3 being comparable but I have always enjoyed DMC more than Bayo so it will depend on taste at the end of the day.
Being better than God of War is a tall order so we'll have to wait and see.
Hahaha yea no. Was a good story tho.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a newcomer and i thought thr demo was underwhelming. I don't think the game is doing enough to appeal to new players. Gameplay feels the same as the previous entries and any change is too subtle for people like me to notice.

That said, I'm not trying to upset any fans here. I firmly believe that devs should focus on what makes the series great rather than chase non believers like me.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I can't say this after playing the demo. It's good. Don't get me wrong, but it seems very safe and very similar in scope to previous DMCs. Again, that's fine. But I need something more revolutionary for it to register as the best of the generation.

Again, I'm just basing my thoughts on the second demo. The game could surprise me once out.

DMC's weaknesses has always been the campaign. The fighting is great, but the rest is rarely compelling.
Campaign looks like he best in DMC yet, three playable characters with very different styles, lots of new bosses (not recycled ) online play, character selection in some missions etc.
At worst it might feel like KH3, an evolution over the previous games even if not really 'modern' (though it doesn't have to be).

Though its a very specific type of game, if you were hoping for open world dmc this is not gonna be the place

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
everything I see and hear about his game seems great. After playing the demo, the Nero combat in 4 seems better than this? The exceed attacks feel like they have no weight behind them either.
I feel like DMC4 has better hit feedback too, something with the effects in that game make stuff impact harder than in 5. Red Queen hits soft in this game. 4 also seems faster but I'm still it learning 5.

Thing with 5 tho is I'm loving all the new toys to play with and easier air mobility. The stuff they've shown of Dante looks great too.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

I am talking about mechanics and DMC 4 ia way bettee than Bayonetta, agree or dont agree i dont care, if you like an action game with a broken dodge, slow mo and QTE have fun

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Oh yeah, it's going to somehow be an even deeper battle system than 4, especially if they fix the inertia. Which is nuts.

V is a completely different concept from anything else in the genre and his stuff looks sick. Throw in how the breakers work even nero has new quirks that add to his kit from 4.

And Dante? Phew.

11 years of waiting for more Devil May Cry will have been worth it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think it will be good, but I was surprised how similar it felt to DMC4. At this point I'm kind of expecting franchises to be shaken up, turned inside out and striking new ground. This felt like a better DMC4 and that was about it.
I mean, it does enough to modernize itself, they were making a sequel to DMC 4 not a whole new series or reboot, its a 'return to roots' thing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have faith in Platinum to make Bayonetta 3 the GOAT action game after 2. Both are great, but DMC5 just seems to be on another level in my eyes. Granted we haven't seen Bayo 3 yet so it's hard to judge, aye? But still, gameplay aside, things like presentation, Bayonetta won't be able to compete with DMC5 at all simply due to the nature of the platform its locked to. DMC5 pushing that RE Engine goodness at 4K 60fps on the enhanced consoles. Game truly is a stunner.

PhoneBooth_Van_png_jpgcopy.jpg

UVdczQf.jpg
There's no doubt in my mind that DMC5 is going to blow the lid off of Bayo 3 visually. Having said all that I expect Bayo 3 will be a surprisingly drastic redo rather than the very straight forward sequel that Bayo 2 was, since they expressed interest in doing something really different for it. Gameplay-wise I expect both of the titles to be top of the line, and wouldn't be surprised if either title ends up better than the other in that regard.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure for people who enjoy delving into mechanics, expressing their execution skill and creativity... this will be one of the best action games here. The game is shaping up to have a dizzying array of options and different mechanics to really sink you teeth into. And on top of that it looks and feels great too! They are also putting a lot more effort into the story, characters and cutscenes this time around so even when you are not playing you are still engaged.

My main concern is if the campaign is well paced and doesn't feel monotonous with the combat encounters. By that I mean they keep throwing new stuff at you whether it be a new tool or new enemies or a brand new character to control. I also want the regular enemies to be challenging on harder difficulties, in fact I want DMD to be nut crushingly hard.

I think new players will struggle at the game especially when they get to the Dantes sections. There will be a learning curve to it as they have to find different ways to dodge and juggle enemies than they are used to. They would also have to get out of their comfort zone to experiment with the combat to get more fun out of it. But I am hoping they stick to it and approach it with the mindset of self improvement and application.

For me, it doesn't even matter. I am a long time DMC fan, before DMC1 even released. I would have been excited for this game even if it was under delivering in some aspects but for me as a long time fan, its hitting all the right notes.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Campaign looks like he best in DMC yet, three playable characters with very different styles, lots of new bosses (not recycled ) online play, character selection in some missions etc.
At worst it might feel like KH3, an evolution over the previous games even if not really 'modern' (though it doesn't have to be).

Though its a very specific type of game, if you were hoping for open world dmc this is not gonna be the place
Well, DMC4s big issue was asset reuse for me. If they fix that, they will be better. I don't want an open world game. I know what DMC is. It's not open world. But I do want some more interesting locales and environments.

I do not want fight encounters>traversal>fight encounter>traversal>repeat>end boss. Mix it up a bit.

However, I'm optimistic. The world designs looks way better than any previous DMC game.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is pretty and all, but I just frankly feel like Bayonetta is better than DMC. I think it's more fun to play. I mean, I still think DMC is going to be a lot of fun, but I'm far more interested in Bayonetta 3 than DMC5.

...also how the fuck did you put 20 hours into the demo. Seriously? Why!?!?!?

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Felt the demo was just "okay" honestly. Admittedly, I'm not some crazy-long time fan or anything(have really only played 2 and 4/special edition), but playing the demo just didn't get me all that pumped for it's release. As of now, Nioh is sitting at the top of the action scene for this gen, and i don't think DMCV is gonna top it for me.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I am talking about mechanics and DMC 4 ia way bettee than Bayonetta, agree or dont agree i dont care, if you like an action game with a broken dodge, slow mo and QTE have fun

I will say the pacing and campaigns of the Bayonetta games are really great.

DMC3 had an incredible campaign but 4 was really lacking in that department. DMC5's campaign seems to be good stuff from what we know. But definitely I agree with you regarding the mechanics.

Oct 27, 2017
I fear it's gonna feel mighty boring navigating DMC's levels, especially so close to Sekiro :(

Hopefully it's at least as good as DMC3

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is pretty and all, but I just frankly feel like Bayonetta is better than DMC. I think it's more fun to play. I mean, I still think DMC is going to be a lot of fun, but I'm far more interested in Bayonetta 3 than DMC5.

What do you mean why? There's a lot to extract out of the demo as far as the combat goes. The more hardcore players are already pulling some crazy shit. That's the beauty of DMC, the freedom and versatility in its combat.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It's going to be so good that ESRB put DMC5 in its own Genre.

The first and only game (so far) to be in it.

It does not get more certified than that.
445PksB.png

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Demo is the best game I've played this year and probably this gen

I hope they don't fuck up the time between combat with terrible platforming and boring puzzles like in dmc4.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not.

I'm a big fan of DMC, but they tend to always falter outside of the battle system. DMC4's campaign was especially a let down. And I'm very much a sum of its parts kind of guy. So unless they manage to improve upon what are usually weaknesses in the series, I'll probably enjoy it but won't consider it my action game of the generation. That title belongs to God of War right now which basically knocked it out of the park in basically every aspect.

The damn Demo is already a better action game than GoW.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I'd need to see Bayo 3 but after the DMC5 demo, this has a shot at being the best action game ever and we haven't even played as Dante or V, which look phenomenal as well.

xCaaT

Nov 24, 2017
Why are people bringing up games that we don't know shit about, that could be cancelled at any time, that we don't know when it's going to launch, (Bayo 3), and not bringing up games that look amazing, have a set date, and looks extremely promising, like you know, Sekiro?
Also agree with OP, DMC5 looks like one of the best things the gaming industry could offer this gen.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's going to be so good that ESRB put DMC5 in its own Genre.

The first and only game (so far) to be in it.

It does not get more certified than that.
445PksB.png
Yoo! I was trying to find this while making the thread. I remember a post on here about the game being classed in Stylish Action and I was like fucking finally! Even the ESRB knows they ain't fuckin' around.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I feel that even if Bayonetta isn't as mechanically satisfying as DMC, it's better in most other elements and is a more cohesive game as a whole so it depends on your priorities.

Felt the demo was just "okay" honestly. Admittedly, I'm not some crazy-long time fan or anything(have really only played 2 and 4/special edition), but playing the demo just didn't get me all that pumped for it's release. As of now, Nioh is sitting at the top of the action scene for this gen, and i don't think DMCV is gonna top it for me.
Nioh 2 is set for this gen as well, could be something incredible.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It probably will be, the only series that can really match up DMC is Ninja gaiden and that series is on the back burner after the atrocious 3 and even worse yaiba.

Sekiro is gonna be sick tho and I don't wanna discount that either. But the visuals from DMC are gonna smoke everything from this gen. RE engine is so good, I like bayonetta but man it's not gonna be eye candy like DMC5.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Why are people bringing up games that we don't know shit about, that could be cancelled at any time, that we don't know when it's going to launch, (Bayo 3), and not bringing up games that look amazing, have a set date, and looks extremely promising, like you know, Sekiro?
Also agree with OP, DMC5 looks like one of the best things the gaming industry could offer this gen.
Because as good as from soft is, the actual combat in their games stands no fucking chance.

Tho neither does Bayonetta 3, if Hashimoto is going to direct it again.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My main concern is if the campaign is well paced and doesn't feel monotonous with the combat encounters. By that I mean they keep throwing new stuff at you whether it be a new tool or new enemies or a brand new character to control. I also want the regular enemies to be challenging on harder difficulties, in fact I want DMD to be nut crushingly hard.

This is a concern I've had for a while as well, I admit. No one's going to fault Devil May Cry 4 for it's impeccable combat system but the actual encounter and level design left an extreme amount to be desired, so much so that it took a long time for me to really appreciate its intricacies when it was such a mess at times. DMC4SE also felt like a real half measure in a sense given that it only compounded on its issues by adding new characters rather than fixing most of the main game's shortcomings. I don't think anyone doubts Itsuno's chops in directing combat, but it's everything else that remains the question mark. Now admittedly DMC4 wasn't actually "finished", but with three characters now instead of two that's a pretty bold declaration of wanting to make up for the inability to accommodate two playstyles by now having three. Hopefully it all goes down okay.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people have spent more than 20 hours on the demo. The depth is so high even in the short and limited demo given. I am still finding new stuff in the demo. That's the mark of an excellent action game IMO. Honestly aside from Darkest Dungeon that I started before the demo, this demo is my most played game of 2019 so far. I have played the demo twice as long I played RE2 the full game.