• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
despite wanting to like it, i kind of hated the earlier xbox exclusive demo. the fighting was dull, cramped and confined, and the boss just felt old school (and not in a good way). am i wrong for writing this off based on that experience? is the new demo better?

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
The demo is ok, but the camera is wonky and the lock-on has the annoying tendency of targeting the wrong enemies. It's especially frustating now because some devil bringer moves have directional inputs that need to be executed without the lock-on. Also, transparent objects in 2019 are inexcusable.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does no one talk about the camera being so crap? I played the demo and was fighting the camera 90% of the time

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same here.

I would love to hear different and if we can play as Dante through the entire campaign even post-game - then I'll pick up a copy :)

Seriously.

And how is it "this shit again"? Not a lot of people know that you can't play as only one character from start to finish. This is relatively 'new' news.

"This shit again" meant I just want to play with Dante and maybe try out the other characters later. I'm on the same page as you and this is bumming me out since I just want to play with Dante from start to finish.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
DMC is the Lego of action games.

Outside of 1-2 button / delay combos it's all a bunch of individual building blocks you chain together in crazy ways. Enemy step is the glue.

Most other games that tend to rely on button combos fall flat (for me). I enjoy Bayo and NG, but they don't have that same creative depth.

Nothing beats Lego, nothing beats DMC.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Will buy but its gonna be $40 or lower for me to jump in. I really am trying to finish my backlog lol

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
This is another thing that bugs me, dmc is absurdly self aware at how ridiculous it is. It is fun endearing cheese, as opposed to that just off putting wank that used to be God of War and what we got from ninja theory. Yes worse in terms of depth of narrative than dad of war, but the goals are different.

I think it's weird that for "the total package" it's okay that dad of wars combat doesn't have to be deep because different goals, but dmc5 is a lesser package for not wanting to be Uber serious.
No one said this, way to twist shit.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I am trying to be nice when I say this but DMC makes GoW look like pre-school in terms of gameplay but GoW (2018) still has the best combat from its franchise so there's that.
Sure buddy, with that type of hyperbole I am supposed to take this seriously? Silly Elitism..it's just a game bro.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Me waiting for DMC 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure buddy, with that type of hyperbole I am supposed to take this seriously? Silly Elitism..it's just a game bro.
Honestly though why are we even talking about God of War in a thread like this? It's a cinematic action adventure game. I'm pretty sure the OP meant a different type of action game but what do I know. There is zero reason to compare GoW and DMC outside of academia.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Honestly though why are we even talking about God of War in a thread like this? It's a cinematic action adventure game. I'm pretty sure the OP meant a different type of action game but what do I know. There is zero reason to compare GoW and DMC outside of academia.
Ask the folks who brought it up maybe? I am not the one who did, several times even.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
"This shit again" meant I just want to play with Dante and maybe try out the other characters later. I'm on the same page as you and this is bumming me out since I just want to play with Dante from start to finish.
Lol I'm sorry I misinterpreted your intent.

Yeah, it sucks to be forced to play as characters you don't like or that don't appeal to you.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Edgiest "Imma talk shit to every enemy like a badass" game for sure.

Changed the language in the demo to japanese in order to enjoy it, thinking in playing it like this, the edgelordness and ridiculeness of the english voice over turned me off big time, add to that that the game is designed the same way as an DMC game from a decade ago well shit....

As a pure mechanically inventive and satisfying controlling action stylish game?

Probably.....

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just want to play as Dante with that sweet, sweet Gunslinger Style! I love shooting in different directions like Christian Bale in "Equilibrium" - it's so badass!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I got bored with the demo, so not for me. Glad you guys are so excited about it though.

/hotttaaaakeeee: I enjoyed playing as Dante more in MHW.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pull my Devil Trigger baby .

Last edited:

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The graphics are mind blowing.

But I am the type of player who gets no fulfillment "styling" on massive waves of enemies.

I prefer simple controls and more focused encounters.

The game is amazingly polished though. So much effort went into it based on the demo.

However,my money is on Sekiro.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Let's just say your avatar makes you lose credibility here lol. Many feel the Bayo games have surpassed the DMC games released so far. So it's not a stretch.
I mean it's an opinion, yeah? I absolutely greatly prefer DMC to Bayo 1 and 2 (which was a step down from 1), to the point that I can't understand how they are in the same league. It would be roughly equivalent to someone telling me that Nier Automata is on the same level as Bayonetta. The gulf in mechanics is that wide.

I enjoyed Bayonetta, but I can say with some certainty sight unseen that it won't top DMC5, especially since Bayo 2 was a step back and they may continue in that direction. And in case somehow it's not obvious that the above subjective post is my opinion: IMO

Also, Dante Fieri has Smokin' Sick Style that takes demons all the way to Flavortown.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's an opinion, yeah? I absolutely greatly prefer DMC to Bayo 1 and 2 (which was a step down from 1), to the point that I can't understand how they are in the same league. It would be roughly equivalent to someone telling me that Nier Automata is on the same level as Bayonetta. The gulf in mechanics is that wide.

I enjoyed Bayonetta, but I can say with some certainty that it won't top DMC5. And in case somehow it's not obvious that the above subjective post is my opinion: IMO
I have no issue with you preferring DMC. But comparing Bayonetta to the abortion of DMC2 is kinda trollish lol. The games are nowhere near the same tier of quality.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Demo killed my hype a bit actually.

The game feels strangely slower, heavier, and less satisfying than its parents. It's hard to tell how all the pieces fit will fit together in lieu of aggressive, damaging enemies, and I didn't like the boss. I dunno, it just doesn't have that snappy feel I'm used to. I'm buying it regardless of course, but we'll see.

Yes, even more so than The Wonderful 101 and Bloodborne.

I'll be frankly astonished if it can top either of these.

Wonderful 101 better than Bayonetta 2?

Absolutely.

If DMC doesn't want to go back into the basement, it's gotta find a way to make the parts of the game where you don't fight interesting. Have some actual exploration, puzzle solving, environmental hazards, memorable non combat moments, in-game character interaction, something to hang its closed arena fights together besides running through non descript areas.

I'm a big fan of character action games and I still want this stuff anyway. Balanced risk/reward systems are important, and I relish battles which test my ability to not take damage or even merely not get killed, but I'm very low church on combat 'creativity'. The chance to simply show off how much I've memorised by turning the game into a gratuitous exhibition doesn't excite me.

The character action genre is sustained by more than great combat alone, and palate-cleansers and diversions are always welcome. It's true, if we don't have diversions, the game is little more than BP where the expensive scenery changes and a movie plays between fights.

The demo is ok, but the camera is wonky and the lock-on has the annoying tendency of targeting the wrong enemies.

I don't know if it was just me, or if I was doing something wrong, but I found the game would often prioritise standing targets far away if I released lock-on, rather than letting me scoop up prone floored targets right in front of me. Never had that problem in any other DMC game and it was annoying.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'll cop to that. DMC2 is absolute trash, and the comparison is unfair lol. I should have compared it to DmC, which was still good but far from the best.
See lol.

You saw your trollish ways lol. I just called you out on that.

I have no issue with people preferring DMC over Bayo. They're both quality franchises. DMC4 was just a disappointment to me due to the poor campaign. Hopefully, Capcom learned their lesson there and DMCV is a return to DMC1/3 campaigns.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
See lol.

You saw your trollish ways lol. I just called you out on that.

I have no issue with people preferring DMC over Bayo. They're both quality franchises. DMC4 was just a disappointment to me due to the poor campaign. Hopefully, Capcom learned their lesson there and DMCV is a return to DMC1/3 campaigns.
I'm pretty sure that DMC4's campaign was fucked due to the transition to HD leading to the game being in development hell, leading to the awful shortcut of copy pasting the first half of the game again for the second, but in reverse. The campaign was indeed weak.

Nablith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, even more so than The Wonderful 101 and Bloodborne.

Let me just start this thread off with me stating that I'm a huge fan of the series, it's understandable if you think I'm being a bit biased and even hyperbolic here, but after the recent demo, I genuinely believe that when it's all said and done, people will consider Devil May Cry 5 to be the action game of this generation. The game hits a fine balance between feeling familiar to fans while being accessible and streamlined enough for newer players to get into. The game runs well and has phenomenal presentation. Nero's new Devil Breaker system adds so much versatility to combat and allows you to pull off a wide variety of stylish moves. I mean, just look at this shit. I wouldn't consider myself a pro at all but it's crazy how much a little creative play can get you.

The fact that Itsuno et al have had DMC4's combat system as a basis to work off of is a huge benefit but newer additions like V still shows that they're able to mix it up a bit and introduce new gameplay styles. Three playable characters at launch with an absolute fuck huge catalogue of moves and playstyles is insane. I mean Dante alone has around eight confirmed weapons so far with some more hidden ones they're keeping secret. Add to that some post-launch content like Bloody Palace and a potential new character and you've got a recipe for success.

Personally, I'm loving how they've really put heavy emphasis on the stylish part of stylish action in this game. It's simply not enough that you're killing enemies and staying on your toes anymore, you have to do everything while looking like the most stylish motherfucker around. I'm not saying this isn't the case with the other games, but DMC games post 3 have taken this to heart with DMC5 amplifying that shit x2. It's through this that the game becomes your own little sandbox to experiment with the many moves on offer to express your skill as a player. As you keep playing and start pulling off some insane shit, it'll feel incredibly satisfying. I'm sure there's an appeal to feeling like a stylish prick that many players have missed from other games in the genre.

DMC truly is back.

maxresdefault.jpg

What say you, ERA? Do you think DMC5'll be your action game of the generation? From my 20 something hours on the demo, I can say with firm conviction that it'll be mine for sure.

Duuuude. Is there anywhere I can get the DBZ video you posted? Hahaha

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
i assume thats an answer to both questions? for real, would you mind taking a moment to elaborate on your "yes"? i have trash-tier internet and it'll take at least 24 hours to download the demo - i dont want to wast my time if its more of the same

Boss Run

Demo Level

If that's something that interests you. Yes, then download it. If not, then save your internet.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be the same story as every other game in the past. Accolades will go to other action games with better stories / production values, but fans will still be playing DMC for many years to come.

People still play DMC3 today. Thanks to modding, we got combat better than DMC4.

Nablith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I was a huge fan of the series back in the day and played 1-3 on PS2. I absolutely loved them.

But I couldn't afford a PS3 when it launched and got into MMORPGs and PC gaming instead. So I never played DMC4.

At PAX South a few weeks ago I played a demo of 5 and just last night I beat DMC4. I cannot wait to play this game when it comes out. I am sooooo hyped! :D

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I played the demo, it was fun but felt old and very safe, they are almost too scared to try something different and new and there are moments were i felt the game was older than DmC: Devil May Cry. I'm hoping the full game is going to feel different especially with V.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I haven't played a Devil May Cry since 3, so I'm kind of interested in getting back into the series with this. I didn't know there was a demo up, so I'll definitely be checking that out.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
i appreciate you guys taking the time to answer, but these one word responses are fucking killing me.

you linked two videos that look the same as the xbox exclusive demo from a few weeks ago. is there something i'm missing here?

Yes.

Nico's Upgrade Van is available. You can upgrade certain abilities and acquire them like Enemy Step, Roulette Spin, Exceed 2, Ex-Act Shuffle and Air Hike.

It also as new demo mode plus (which is crucial, since it encourages demo replay allowing players to learn the mechanics a bit) and the Punchline Devil Breaker. A Devil Breaker that has like a ton of applications and depth.

Dahbomb didn't even know there was this a full-charge air release attack for Punchline, fun stuff.

There is a demo thread for more information here.