• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, even more so than The Wonderful 101 and Bloodborne.

Let me just start this thread off with me stating that I'm a huge fan of the series, it's understandable if you think I'm being a bit biased and even hyperbolic here, but after the recent demo, I genuinely believe that when it's all said and done, people will consider Devil May Cry 5 to be the action game of this generation. The game hits a fine balance between feeling familiar to fans while being accessible and streamlined enough for newer players to get into. The game runs well and has phenomenal presentation. Nero's new Devil Breaker system adds so much versatility to combat and allows you to pull off a wide variety of stylish moves. I mean, just look at this shit. I wouldn't consider myself a pro at all but it's crazy how much a little creative play can get you.

The fact that Itsuno et al have had DMC4's combat system as a basis to work off of is a huge benefit but newer additions like V still shows that they're able to mix it up a bit and introduce new gameplay styles. Three playable characters at launch with an absolute fuck huge catalogue of moves and playstyles is insane. I mean Dante alone has around eight confirmed weapons so far with some more hidden ones they're keeping secret. Add to that some post-launch content like Bloody Palace and a potential new character and you've got a recipe for success.

Personally, I'm loving how they've really put heavy emphasis on the stylish part of stylish action in this game. It's simply not enough that you're killing enemies and staying on your toes anymore, you have to do everything while looking like the most stylish motherfucker around. I'm not saying this isn't the case with the other games, but DMC games post 3 have taken this to heart with DMC5 amplifying that shit x2. It's through this that the game becomes your own little sandbox to experiment with the many moves on offer to express your skill as a player. As you keep playing and start pulling off some insane shit, it'll feel incredibly satisfying. I'm sure there's an appeal to feeling like a stylish prick that many players have missed from other games in the genre.

DMC truly is back.

maxresdefault.jpg

What say you, ERA? Do you think DMC5'll be your action game of the generation? From my 20 something hours on the demo, I can say with firm conviction that it'll be mine for sure.

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Oh. Definitely.

From the demo alone and the combos you could do, it's already the best I've played from this gen imo.

I have high hopes the whole game will deliver. Magnum Opus

Last edited:

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not.

I'm a big fan of DMC, but they tend to always falter outside of the battle system. DMC4's campaign was especially a let down. And I'm very much a sum of its parts kind of guy. So unless they manage to improve upon what are usually weaknesses in the series, I'll probably enjoy it but won't consider it my action game of the generation. That title belongs to God of War right now which basically knocked it out of the park in basically every aspect.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm sure it'll be a very fun game to play but will it really matter when you can just pay money for Red Orbs via Microtransactions?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Right now, i'm just praying the Campaign won't be as bad as DMC4. All of those good gameplay mechanics being stuck in such a miserable experience was a pretty big let-down after 3. Thankfully, it seems at least half of the campaign doesn't have any issues going by previews. Just need to hear about the later half now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Bayonetta 3

edit: is also an action game that is coming out so it's not really feasible to crown one game the king of the genre when the generation isn't close to over yet. As mentioned later in this thread there's also Sekiro, Nioh 2, probably more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
My heart already hurts knowing I'll never be able to pull off that first gif lmao

Here's hoping simple mode is fun.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Part of why I wasn't blown away by the demo is my own fault for just rushing through it. I am going to at some point buy DMC5 and make sure I take my time with it to master a lot of the moves cause I know from previous games that when you're really in control of every move, the game is so much better.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Played the demo and honestly I couldn't get into it. It feels slow and clunky especially since Bayonetta was my gateway drug into this genre, and playing DmcV demo made me just miss everything about the witch..

Still gonna check the game out but as a casual I was underwelmed by the demo..

Oct 28, 2017
Well let's just wait until it comes out and we played it. But I wouldn't be suprised if it turn out to be this way.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it looks fantastic! Capcom is outright killing it, lately. But I'm not going to issue the GOTG title until I see Bayonetta 3 and whatever else from the genre comes out.

What I DESPERATELY want is a sequel/spiritual successor to Metal Gear Rising.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah im pretty sure it will be,.not much competition unless you prefer other genres or style of games (like DOOM) and you really, really like SOULS

DMC is BACK

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can't say this after playing the demo. It's good. Don't get me wrong, but it seems very safe and very similar in scope to previous DMCs. Again, that's fine. But I need something more revolutionary for it to register as the best of the generation.

Again, I'm just basing my thoughts on the second demo. The game could surprise me once out.

DMC's weaknesses has always been the campaign. The fighting is great, but the rest is rarely compelling.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If we get this and Bayonetta 3 in the same year...

This will be the GOAT year for character action games.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slow your roll, dude. Bayonetta 3 hasn't even been shown yet. Also, the camera is terrible in the demo. It feels like more DMC. Granted I'm okay with that, but action game of the gen? Nahhhhhhh.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think it will be good, but I was surprised how similar it felt to DMC4. At this point I'm kind of expecting franchises to be shaken up, turned inside out and striking new ground. This felt like a better DMC4 and that was about it.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I mean this game isn't even out and the W101 and BB aren't even close to being the action games of the genah what am I even trying to do here

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't downloaded the demo! Want to be surprised at launch but liking what i see so far

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really compare DMC and Bloodborne directly, but for the specific niche it's going for, DMC5 has a very good chance of being the best, period. DMC3 can go eat shit. Bayonetta 1? Who?

Don't own a Switch tho so I ain't talking shit about Bayo 2 or W101.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Slow your roll, dude. Bayonetta 3 hasn't even been shown yet. Also, the camera is terrible in the demo. It feels like more DMC. Granted I'm okay with that, but action game of the gen? Nahhhhhhh.

Imagine thinking that Bayonetta 3 will suprass DMC 5 while both Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 never managed to surpass DMC 4 gameplay and mechanics.

Good Luck to PG.