• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think Sekiro will be the better game, but DMCV the better action game, if that makes sense. Soooooo excited for both though.
TenderContentAfricancivet-small.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking that Bayonetta 3 will suprass DMC 5 while both Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 never managed to surpass DMC 4 gameplay and mechanics.

Good Luck to PG.
I mean I'm not an expert who counts frames or whatever it is you hard core stylish action game players do.

But I defiantly know I'd personally play Bayonetta 1+2 waaaaaaay before DMC4.

If I'm playing a DMC game I'd much rather play 3.

The gameplay may be best in DMC4 but I found everything surrounding it(characters, plot, cutscenes) to be much worse then DMC3.

I know most will laugh at carting about that stuff but what can I say I'm weird like that.

Thankfully 5 does look to be a big improvement on that front.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be good, but I was surprised how similar it felt to DMC4. At this point I'm kind of expecting franchises to be shaken up, turned inside out and striking new ground. This felt like a better DMC4 and that was about it.

DMC4 used a base is exactly what any fan of action games wanted and I'm so happy they did so, there is no reason for them to not just build on top of that game when they already had such an amazing core already done.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel that even if Bayonetta isn't as mechanically satisfying as DMC, it's better in most other elements and is a more cohesive game as a whole so it depends on your priorities.

Nioh 2 is set for this gen as well, could be something incredible.
This is me.

I can respect DMC's combat engine. It's incredibly versatile and rewards a lot of creativity and experimentation. But that's never been a huge attraction for me. I usually play these games once or twice and move on. They're fun, but I'm not going for Pure Platinums or SSS.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't too hot on these demo. I'm certainly getting the game day one, but I'm not convinced it will be as good Bloodborne, Sekiro or even Nioh yet.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
giphy.gif

There are games released before GOW that are better, there are also recent games better than GOW.

That's not to say GOW is a bad game at all, just not THE best.
Speak for yourself...GOW is a masterpiece, it not being for you does not change that fact. The game is a classic.

GoW is a great action game, but it got nothing on Japanese character action games. It's not as good as Bayo 2 and DMCV is shaping up to be even better.
This is silly..I like GOW more then all those, games are also more then their combat...Chances are DC5 won't have the level design, story, as GOW. As a total package I doubt it's even close tbh.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Looks immense, need to play the demo. The Bloodborne and GoW comparisons are weird. Old GoW was a bad DMC rip but it's moved on from that thankfully.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Are we talking about just the gameplay and style or overall. Bcz It probably won't even be the best action game of that month.
(2nd best ain't bad)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish we could appreciate the potential of a bunch of great action games coming out instead of making it a pissing contest.

I fully expect a bunch of Bayonetta 3 vs DMC5 threads when the former is shown more and I wish we could just enjoy both instead of some people acting like you need to pick a side.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I don't reckon. Demo was pretty 'meh'. No dodge or roll it seems so just jumping everywhere which looks ridiculous and doesn't feel as good as evading in Souls/Nioh. Dude's arm falling off all the time is a really dumb mechanic. I feel like older DMCs played a lot better than this or maybe we've been spoiled with great combat lately and this just isn't that amazing. Also load screens, like, everywhere. Of the two, my money's on Sekiro to top it easily especially considering the whole package beyond combat.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Speak for yourself...GOW is a masterpiece, it not being for you does not change that fact. The game is a classic.

This is silly..I like GOW more then all those, games are also more then their combat...Chances are DC5 won't have the level design, story, as GOW. As a total package I doubt it's even close tbh.

Oh, I enjoyed it and it is a pretty good game, one of the best, but there are better. Before and after its realease.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Bayo more than the DMC games OP, this looks really good.

All I want at the end of the day are more character action games, so the more good ones the better.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
It's unfair to compare dmc, bayonetta style combo based hack'n slash combat to soulsborne/sekiro style combat where reading opponent attacks matter more than remembering what button to press next for a specific combo.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I feel that even if Bayonetta isn't as mechanically satisfying as DMC, it's better in most other elements and is a more cohesive game as a whole so it depends on your priorities.

Nioh 2 is set for this gen as well, could be something incredible.
And im stupidly excited for that!

All in all, this gen has just been an amazing time for action titles, so saying DMCV won't be the best in the genre at this point in time isn't even a little far fetched. DMCV is gonna be GOTG to some for sure, but there are just so many quality action games this gen for this to be an easy question to answer. What a time for fans of action games man.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The demo alone is a great contribution to the action genre.

DMC5 has everything going in its favor. A seasoned team with an intimate understanding of how to build a deep and rewarding action game, an experienced director who knows exactly what longtime fans are looking for, DMC4's brilliant combat system as a foundation, a solid decade's worth of ideas for how to improve upon on the best aspects of the series, and some strong examples of what not to do courtesy of both DMC4 and DmC.

Between the demo and all the previews I don't think there can be any doubt we've got a modern masterpiece on our hands. Even if, against all odds, the campaign ia massively flawed, the combat system in its severely restricted demo form is already an absurdly impressive design achievement, with so much potential for creative players to develop innovative new strategies for years to come.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

One of the best looking games of the gen too.

Fuck. Fuuuuck, this game looks insane.

I mean I'm not an expert who counts frames or whatever it is you hard core stylish action game players do.

But I defiantly know I'd personally play Bayonetta 1+2 waaaaaaay before DMC4.

If I'm playing a DMC game I'd much rather play 3.

The gameplay may be best in DMC4 but I found everything surrounding it(characters, plot, cutscenes) to be much worse then DMC3.

I know most will laugh at carting about that stuff but what can I say I'm weird like that.

Thankfully 5 does look to be a big improvement on that front.
This is how I feel, also. I've consistently gone back to DMC3 over DMC4. The style system for Dante, combined with a pitiful variety of devil arms none of which interest me, totally pushes me away from the game. While the style system remains, the increase in weapon choice will do wonders at drawing me in.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish we could appreciate the potential of a bunch of great action games coming out instead of making it a pissing contest.

I fully expect a bunch of Bayonetta 3 vs DMC5 threads when the former is shown more and I wish we could just enjoy both instead of some people acting like you need to pick a side.
It was always obvious we weren't gonna avoid that stuff - especially after the Bayo 3 announcement at TGA when everyone was expecting DMC5 lol. After that the age long debates basically crept back into overdrive. I'm mostly just happy we can finally get some proper stylish action games again. With God of War moving away from that and Ninja Gaiden being dead, for a while it seemed like Platinum were the only ones carrying the torch and I'm glad Capcom got their shit together.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty stoked for it. I played the first demo on Xbox One (still haven't tried the new one yet) and thought it was pretty fun.

I've never been a fan of the series, and only played parts of 1 in the newest HD collection and 4 (at launch, then again recently on Xbox One in the "Special Edition"). I don't think I liked those very much.

(again, as not a fan of the series... that E3 reveal was super hype)

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfair to compare dmc, bayonetta style combo based hack'n slash combat to soulsborne/sekiro style combat where reading opponent attacks matter more than remembering what button to press next for a specific combo.

That's why I think it's important to be specific about what we mean by "action game" or what we think DMC5 will do better than the others.

Bloodborne is basically one of my top 3 games of all time, but DMC4s combat is just in another fucking dimension. Then again, Bloodborne is not even trying to be a crazy action game, and it's more about the atmosphere and enemy design for many, Bloodborne is clearly a game about learning your opponent and then dodge/shoot/attack when needed, and that's it. So it's interesting to see people try to compare "This action game" vs "This other action game that does other stuff".

Basically "action game" is too basic but I think it's also silly to make up a million sub-genres.

If it's down to combat and letting the players imagination be kind, DMC/Bayonetta are absolutely king, while when it comes to boss design I'd actually go with KH2FM/Soulsborne.

Also let's not forget about Ninja Gaiden Black and NG2 which are also incredible action games that don't really do anything insane with their combat, those games are brilliant in a completely different way.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat will probobaly be the peak of this genre, i'm just concerned about the campaign itself. That was the biggest flaw in DMC4.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Slow your roll, dude. Bayonetta 3 hasn't even been shown yet. Also, the camera is terrible in the demo. It feels like more DMC. Granted I'm okay with that, but action game of the gen? Nahhhhhhh.
Spoken like someone who's never played DMC4.

DMC5 plays like the devs copy-pasted DMC4's combat system and then brainstormed all the ways to make it better without sacrificing the core feel of the gameplay.

If you play DMC4, DmC, and then the DMC5 demo back to back, it's abundantly clear which game the latter takes after. I mean it's not even a question because there's no ambiguity at all. The appearance, timing, and controls of all the moves between DMC4 and the DMC5 demo are either identical or close cousins underneath the modern enhancements.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is pretty and all, but I just frankly feel like Bayonetta is better than DMC. I think it's more fun to play. I mean, I still think DMC is going to be a lot of fun, but I'm far more interested in Bayonetta 3 than DMC5.

...also how the fuck did you put 20 hours into the demo. Seriously? Why!?!?!?
Bayo it's easier to hit the games skill ceiling in faster the combat is pretty loose and free flow in terms of how things chain and cancel together at the same time it ends up being a bit more limited as they kind have a set flow with the movesets they expect from you.

DMC stuff can come off as stiff at first since you are given a bunch of small tools that don't really chain together until you start figuring out how everything can cancel and link together the games open up an insane degree.

So basically Bayo is more fun faster but the more time you invest in dmc the creativity/fun of it goes up a lot.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not in a year a From Software game comes out. Might have more finely tuned combat then Sekiro but that's about it. Won't even be the best this quarter.

Oct 25, 2017
@ me when God of War gets microtransactions.

Or when DMC lets me throw an Axe and call it back to me again.

DMC4:SE had micro-transactions and they never felt relevant at all, feels like just something Capcom throws in there for no reason, if it actually affects the economy of the game then that will be a valid argument.

Also you should see the Punchline arm that Nero has if you're mentioning the Axe.

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be so sure about bosses. Level design is were I think Sekiro will smoke DMC.

I actually hope DMC5 doesn't try to have any crazy level designs or puzzles and just focuses on being on what it does best. Whenever DMC tries to have some crazy platforming, puzzles, or some weird gimmick bosses it's not as good as when it just shows that it's the king of combat. I feel like Bayonetta 2 did that well and understood its strength, hopefully DMC5 just goes all in with the combat and calls it a day, the variety I want comes from the enemies and the 3 playable characters.

Whats funny about that? GOW is a masterpiece, it will be doubtful DMC has the overall packagfe and level design GOW did.

I am part of the laughing crowd but I'll give the simple explanation, people are probably talking about combat here mainly and not the "overall package" as you call it.

At the end of the day what we all consider an "Action Game" and what we want from the genre will be subjective, but in the area that is combat...DMC is just in another plane of reality.

I also think something important to consider is that DMC demands your time and effort for it to shine, while with other action games like GoW it's just easier to throw the axe and punch some stuff and feel like you're doing well. I don't think most players get to the level of understanding and appreciating how incredible the combat of DMC3/4/5 is.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The combat will probobaly be the peak of this genre, i'm just concerned about the campaign itself. That was the biggest flaw in DMC4.
I can forgive a so-so campaign, but I would love to play a new DMC with the strong character moments that 3 had.

The peak of this series for me is still that second fight against Vergil. Cause of what it represents for the characters and how good the game itself is at reflecting that through the fight itself.

4 had nothing of this sort. Credo was cool mechanically but a lame character I barely remember outside his angel form.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lmao @ thinking GoW would remotely compete as an action game.

It is the better package though.

Which is my main worry with DMC5, 4 played great but outside of the combat itself it was pretty meh.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The Deluxe Edition is 52 bucks on cdkeys btw. Normal is 39 bucks for those who want to play the best version aka the PC version.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Wouldn't be so sure about bosses. Level design is were I think Sekiro will smoke DMC.
I mean DMC is extremely linear because the replay value is a need so you can get from boss to boss quickly to improve your performance while Soulsborne is more about exploration so I would say Sekiro will have more going on with level design but I dont think that would make DMC5's levels better because its not a focus.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck are people comparing God of War and Seikiro to fucking DMC5? They are not even the same genre at the end of the day.

This is like comparing metroid to mega man

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to say a few things before I leave this thread as its obvious where this is heading.

DMC4 introduced a mechanic called Table Hopper which buffs your dodge with better frame advantage. This became a staple mechanic in many Platinum games where well timed dodges gave you rewards. They even implemented in DmC and other action games.

DMC4 introduced the Snatch, a quick and easy way of pulling in enemies or moving yourself towards bigger enemies. Other action games used this as well like Darksiders 2. Was expanded upon in DmC as well.

DMC4 introduced the Style switch system which was also taken by other action games and modified by them like Nioh and Yakuza games.

DMC5 looks to be adding a bunch of seemingly small but very big mechanics and tools that a lot of action games can benefit from. The Punchline which is a rocket you can skate on is a breath of fresh for the action genre. The ability to real time switch forms within weapons (like Balorg and Cerberus) is also something that hasn't been done quite to this level. And of course the character of V is just brand new for the genre. We have never had such precise control over multiple characters at once in an action game. Fans of the genre should at least be keeping an eye on DMC5.