• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bayo it's easier to hit the games skill ceiling in faster the combat is pretty loose and free flow in terms of how things chain and cancel together at the same time it ends up being a bit more limited as they kind have a set flow with the movesets they expect from you.

DMC stuff can come off as stiff at first until you start figuring out how everything can cancel and link together the games open up an insane degree.

So basically Bayo is more fun faster but the more time you invest in dmc the creativity/fun of it goes up a lot.
Accurate. Bayonetta is the more accessible series for sure, and the ultra-responsive feel of the controls is instantly rewarding. It's unfortunate that the DMC series feels stiffer to play, but it seems that's the price for combat with unparalleled depth. The weightier physics lend themselves to blazing fast high level play.

Of course, Bayonetta allows for some absolutely insane setups with its combat system, which is all about manipulating the enemy's position. Its absence of jump cancels, slightly slower pace, and floatier physics are the only meaningful limiting factors. It would be great if Platinum would make just one Bayonetta game that does away with the built-in limits.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Accurate. Bayonetta is the more accessible series for sure, and the ultra-responsive feel of the controls is instantly rewarding. It's unfortunate that the DMC series feels stiffer to play, but it seems that's the price for combat with unparalleled depth. The weightier physics lend themselves to blazing fast high level play.

Bayonetta allows for some absolutely insane setups with its combat system, which is all about manipulating the enemy's position. Its absence of jump cancels and slightly slower pace are the only meaningful limiting factors. It would be great if Platinum would make just one Bayonetta game that does away with the built-in limits.
I'd kill for bayo to get a wider moveset for her various weapons as well. It feels like they kinda built themselves into a hole with the arms/legs equip system basically cutting movesets in half

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's going to be so good that ESRB put DMC5 in its own Genre.

The first and only game (so far) to be in it.

It does not get more certified than that.
445PksB.png
Even the ESRB knows that Itsuno & Co. aren't playing around this time.

And to answer the OP's question, DMC5 probably has the best chance of any action game this generation to claim the throne.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
What is the overall package meme with story games? The gameplay is part of the package people, and Dad of War has wack enemy variety, those boring troll fights, it runs at half the frame rate, it's less replayable structurally, no bloody palace equivalent, the combo game is a given to be inferior, and the exploration is actively made dull by the stiff n plodding movement.

That's without getting into the part where The story is often told in a tedious ass walky talky way that you can't skip on replays.

And DMC has often handled its multiple difficulties far better than what God of War did with give me god of war.

Dad of War will have the better story, but chances are "as a package" it will be weaker as a game.

Because the flawed "package" of DMC4 had people running that game for hundreds of hours learning the systems. DMC5 will be no different to people who value getting better at rich mechanics for mastery.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'd kill for bayo to get a wider moveset for her various weapons as well. It feels like they kinda built themselves into a hole with the arms/legs equip system basically cutting movesets in half
Yep. The weapon system has its advantages but there's certainly room for added depth.

Platinum is more than capable of developing an answer to DMC5. The dodge offset system alone, with its panther and crow teleport variations, opened up some exciting doorways that only a few top players bothered to explore beyond a surface level.

It's really up to Platinum and their priorities for the series. I wish they'd catch a bit of competitive spirit and try to make a future Bayonetta game into a true DMC killer. They've got the skills, and the potential is there.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
When people say GoW is the better "full package"... I'd agree if we were talking about DMC4 but it's obvious that we aren't going to be getting half a game like we did with 4. With 5, I think it's safe to expect a full campaign with lots of bosses (already something better than GoW) and more variety in level hazards and scenarios.

I actually liked GoW a lot more than I thought I would but if there's anything wrong with that game, it's that it's too bloated. The weapon and armor stats, the side quests, the walk & talk bits... a lot of it was just so unneeded and dragged the game down. Lots of games would be better if they were more focused, and that's something the (good) DMC games have always excelled at.

Wonderful 101 better than Bayonetta 2?

Wonderful 101 was the best game on the Wii U, imo.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is silly..I like GOW more then all those, games are also more then their combat...Chances are DC5 won't have the level design, story, as GOW. As a total package I doubt it's even close tbh.

If you think about it, your preference between God of War vs DMCV for best Action game of the generation boils down to almost entirely one thing - if you value gameplay or story more in your video games. Both games are beautiful and more or less equivalent in terms of graphical fidelity.

When it comes to story God of War has the upper hands and when it comes to gameplay DMC does.

Personally I think you can't get the kind of incredible depth and satisfying gameplay DMC delivers anywhere else, whereas good videogame stories are plentiful.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Personally I think you can't get the kind of incredible depth and satisfying gameplay DMC delivers anywhere else, whereas good videogame stories are plentiful.
This is correct. But I will still love the story in DMC5 because I love those characters and there really isnt anything that looks as expensive as DMC5 with the tone it has.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
If you think about it, your preference between God of War vs DMCV for best Action game of the generation boils down to almost entirely one thing - if you value gameplay or story more in your video games. Both games are beautiful and more or less equivalent in terms of graphical fidelity.

When it comes to story God of War has the upper hands and when it comes to gameplay DMC does.

Totally disagree with your last sentence..there are very few good told stories in this medium...GOW's combat is no slouch, it's not like it's a slog to play...DMC's gameplay isn't that much better to offset everything else. It's not just story..it's Lore, Level Design, Exploration, Puzzles. Dialog, Characters...More variety on the game, far more interesting and designed world....There are more to games then just combat, or we could just fight waves of enemies in arenas over and over.

But back to the OP, this is off topic. I think Sekiro will be better then DMC, so depends on your tastes.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. The weapon system has its advantages but there's certainly room for added depth.

Platinum is more than capable of developing an answer to DMC5. The dodge offset system alone, with its panther and crow teleport variations, opened up some exciting doorways that only a few top players bothered to explore beyond a surface level.

It's really up to Platinum and their priorities for the series. I wish they'd catch a bit of competitive spirit and try to make a future Bayonetta game into a true DMC killer. They've got the skills, and the potential is there.
I don't think you'll ever a full blown DMC-like Bayo from them. Platinum has always had that different philosophy of making sure the player feels cool and the actions on screen look badass even if you're just mashing away. DMC gives you the ocean and unless you put in the work and learn to swim and dive you won't look or feel very stylish. That's where automatic mode can only do so much.

DMC is the C++ of action games compared to the Python of Bayonetta.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally disagree with your last sentence..there are very few good told stories in this medium...GOW's combat is no slouch, it's not like it's a slog to play...DMC's gameplay won;t be that much better to offset everything else. It's not just story..it's Lore, Level Design, Exploration, Puzzles. Dialog...More variety on the game, far more interesting and designed world....There are more to games then just combat.

And that's your opinion, and that's fine. For a lot of people, the only thing they really particularly care about from DMCV is the combat. They'll play through the story, sure. Maybe even a few times. But the true meat of the game is just playing it and having fun pulling off satisfying moves. Its clear DMCV's gameplay won't be enough to satisfy you, but for me and other fans, DMCV's gameplay is not only enough, but its exactly what I want. The story is really irrelevant when you've just clocked 400 hours.

There are few good stories in this medium? No way. I can list off tons of amazing video game stories.

Oct 27, 2017
I've played the demo a lot and I still want to play more. And that's with a gimped Nero! I'm salivating at the thought of just being able to mess around with Dante's expanded moveset. Replay value is super important to me and considering how much of I've played of the demo the final product will fun for hours to come.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Totally disagree with your last sentence..there are very few good told stories in this medium...GOW's combat is no slouch, it's not like it's a slog to play...DMC's gameplay won;t be that much better to offset everything else. It's not just story..it's Lore, Level Design, Exploration, Puzzles. Dialog...More variety on the game, far more interesting and designed world....There are more to games then just combat.
GoW's gameplay is just too simple for it to be in the same league as DMC5 but that does not mean GoW's combat is bad but its just not the focus. I think an action game is a game focused on action or the core gamplay loop. GoW is just more of an action-adventure game that is way more focused on narrative, good for different reasons.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Are we seriously comparing DMC with the new GOW in terms of combat?

I love GOW, but DMC is DMC. The demo alone is already enough to know that DMC has way better combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, it is pretty and all, but I just frankly feel like Bayonetta is better than DMC. I think it's more fun to play. I mean, I still think DMC is going to be a lot of fun, but I'm far more interested in Bayonetta 3 than DMC5.

...also how the fuck did you put 20 hours into the demo. Seriously? Why!?!?!?

Better than playing the demo for like 18 minutes and then assuming they played the entire game. And that reasoning goes both ways.

Personally, from what I've seen and played, DMC5 is shaping up to be the greatest action game ever made. Which simply means itll be better than DMC3, NGB, and God Hand lol.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
GoW's gameplay is just too simple for it to be in the same league as DMC5 but that does not mean GoW's combat is bad but its just not the focus. I think an action game is a game focused on action or the core gamplay loop. GoW is just more of an action-adventure game that is way more focused on narrative, good for different reasons.
While I do think that is an exaggeration, don't think there is that big a difference. I agree though yes it ultimately comes down to what you enjoy more. That is just how I see things.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Totally disagree with your last sentence..there are very few good told stories in this medium...GOW's combat is no slouch, it's not like it's a slog to play...DMC's gameplay isn't that much better to offset everything else. It's not just story..it's Lore, Level Design, Exploration, Puzzles. Dialog, Characters...More variety on the game, far more interesting and designed world....There are more to games then just combat, or we could just fight waves of enemies in arenas over and over.

But back to the OP, this is off topic. I think Sekiro will be better then DMC, so depends on your tastes.
More variety that's shallow as hell. The climbing in god of war is utterly pointless n mindless, ditto the puzzle solving. They function fine as a pace breaker, but for anyone that actually puzzle games they don't satisfy the same itch a good puzzle does.

Mind you I don't think Dad of War is anywhere near as wasteful about it as 3D zelda games, but I'm not exactly impressed by added elements that are shallow just for the sake of variety.

The level design itself is a slog to navigate at times between how stiff kratos moves, to the time wasting make the kid climb a thing to give you a rope shtick. And in combat it's a total non element of the experience much in the way it is in dmc and bayonetta, where most of the combat is done on flat box room to mow down bad guys.

Same scenario it comes down to if you want a jack of all trades that's a master of none, or a one trick pony that happens to be excellent at the one trick.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
While I do think that is an exaggeration, don't think there is that big a difference. GOW's combat gets pretty deep. I agree though yes it ultimately comes down to what you enjoy more. That is just how I see things.
I am trying to be nice when I say this but DMC makes GoW look like pre-school in terms of gameplay but GoW (2018) still has the best combat from its franchise so there's that.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
This is correct. But I will still love the story in DMC5 because I love those characters and there really isnt anything that looks as expensive as DMC5 with the tone it has.
This is another thing that bugs me, dmc is absurdly self aware at how ridiculous it is. It is fun endearing cheese, as opposed to that just off putting wank that used to be God of War and what we got from ninja theory. Yes worse in terms of depth of narrative than dad of war, but the goals are different.

I think it's weird that for "the total package" it's okay that dad of wars combat doesn't have to be deep because different goals, but dmc5 is a lesser package for not wanting to be Uber serious.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I am trying to be nice when I say this but DMC makes GoW look like pre-school in terms of gameplay but GoW (2018) still has the best combat from its franchise so there's that.
Eh, it has a more interesting neutral game to say the least. I think you can make a decent argument for the stuff you could do in god of war 2 n 3, even if they were diet devil may cry.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK

Hasn't Bayonetta already claimed the throne, though?

There's a reason every action game fan and their dog are comparing DMCV to Bayonetta - it's because the latter is at the top of the tree.

Devil May Cry 4 was a mild disappointment and DmC split the fanbase.

Past that, the original game doesn't hold up against the very best modern action games and DMC2 is widely loathed.

DMC3 is a classic no doubt, but that was 14 years ago.

Check out the demo threads and plenty of people say DMCV feels a bit stiff and a bit old.

Meanwhile, Platinum has been at the summit for a decade with Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

I suppose my point is, Kamiya doesn't need to develop an answer to DMCV - Capcom should have been developing an answer to Bayonetta.

Based on the demo alone, I think if you didn't like DMC before, you won't like it now, which is a shame. I wish Capcom had really rethought the movement and combat of DMC and moved it on.

Having said that, V looks very different and I've only played a demo so what do I know...

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro, DMC5, and then eventually Bayonetta 3 all existing at the same time

im crying

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic's first unanimous 100 incoming. Nobody thought it was possible, but then DMC5 came out and the hunter within lost control.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really hope so but I feel this feeling of doubt for no good reason, but just because I feel like for 95 percent of games, people on this forum and elsewhere find some fault, latch onto it, and we never hear the end of it. I guess the constant negativity is getting to me and I should just enjoy it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Hasn't Bayonetta already claimed the throne, though?

There's a reason every action game fan and their dog are comparing DMCV to Bayonetta - it's because the latter is at the top of the tree.

Devil May Cry 4 was a mild disappointment and DmC split the fanbase.

Past that, the original game doesn't hold up against the very best modern action games and DMC2 is widely loathed.

DMC3 is a classic no doubt, but that was 14 years ago.

Check out the demo threads and plenty of people say DMCV feels a bit stiff and a bit old.

Meanwhile, Platinum has been at the summit for a decade with Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

I suppose my point is, Kamiya doesn't need to develop an answer to DMCV - Capcom should have been developing an answer to Bayonetta.

Based on the demo alone, I think if you didn't like DMC before, you won't like it now, which is a shame. I wish Capcom had really rethought the movement and combat of DMC and moved it on.

Having said that, V looks very different and I've only played a demo so what do I know...
Yeah, it was only a demo, from the trailers alone we already see the culmination of the series we haven't even played with V yet, DMC 5 will offer plenty of new.

As for the familiar stuff, it has been 10 years since DMC 4 some things were already good to begin with, this is the game most fans were waiting for not an unnecessary overhaul but the KH3 of the series

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dante has a lot of mechanics, for like the 1% of galaxy brain people who can actually play that fuckin character, but it all feels very segmented and empty, running through boring levels and that shitty no horizontal range fast drop jumping on things theyve been doing since DMC1, trying to get to the next locked room arena fight. On top of the fact V looks like zzzzzzz, and the breaker system is just bad.

Seikro will probably be better, in how integrates all its challenges into an organic whole, instead of feeling like a vaguely hidden stretched out Bloody Palace mode with cutscenes.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so but I feel this feeling of doubt for no good reason, but just because I feel like for 95 percent of games, people on this forum and elsewhere find some fault, latch onto it, and we never hear the end of it. I guess the constant negativity is getting to me and I should just enjoy it.

I think that fear is unwarranted. Unless the game takes a full nosedive in the later parts of the game, which seems pretty unlikely from what we've seen so far, there haven't been any such faults with this game yet.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The demo felt amazing but I need to wait until the full game to see. I still have concerns over the level design, mission structure, V's gameplay (it looks like something I wouldn't like but previews were all praise so I'll wait to see) and Nero and Dante feeling too similar to previous games. Still doubt it will beat Bloodborne as a pure action game in my eyes even if it doesn't have those flaws. Even Nier Automata for just having a fun combat system.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on your taste. GoW and Nioh are definitely up there too. Until Bayo 3 arrives DMCV will be the best action game in it's own subgenre which is determined by the combat style. The way I see it Bayonetta an DMC are in the stylish action division and Nioh, Sekiro, Gow and BB in the more methodical/ weighty combat division. So no, I don't agree with OP.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
After playing the demo, i can say DMC5 has the potential to surpass DMC3, which IMO is the best action game to date.

All I want from DMC5 is a good story, not like DMC4 but more like 3, and DMD difficulty comparable to DMC3 DMD difficulty. The demo was to easy.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Multiplayer Bloody Palace should be a lot of fun. It's effectively the franchises end game.

Even to this day I'll boot up DMC4 time to time to fuck around with it on BP.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Dante has a lot of mechanics, for like the 1% of galaxy brain people who can actually play that fuckin character, but it all feels very segmented and empty, running through boring levels and that shitty no horizontal range fast drop jumping on things theyve been doing since DMC1, trying to get to the next locked room arena fight. On top of the fact V looks like zzzzzzz, and the breaker system is just bad.

Seikro will probably be better, in how integrates all its challenges into an organic whole, instead of feeling like a vaguely hidden stretched out Bloody Palace mode with cutscenes.
Dmcv with only bloody palace and no campaign would probably still be a better action game than anything else this gen.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is MC the objective arbiter of taste now lol.

Even DMC diehards feel DMC3SE surpassed it overall.

Dmcv with only bloody palace and no campaign would probably still be a better action game than anything else this gen.

I think that's ViewtifulJC point. DMC really caters to that combo creative crowd, but as a full campaign product, it's been lacking with the mainline series. Games are more than combat engines. And I can understand the love of that super deep combat engine, but not everyone is looking for that and may what a more cohesive approach.

Again, this is based on prior games. DMCV can be totally different here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Not to mention they did change the horizontal jump arc. Not sure what he's talking about there.

And apparently he didn't watch any of the previews. Many of them directly referenced DMC5's superior level design and pacing in contrast to DMC4 -specifically-. Ben Moore and Max do a great job of detailing those specifics.

And then you throw in the cameo system (indirect and direct multiplayer), it seems many of the faults DMC4 had are rectified in DMC5.

Just that fact that DMC5 has fully developed levels no longer segmented by load times is like a metric ton improvement over DMC4 right there.

Jul 20, 2018
I played the demo and... It's not for me, but games with this kind of combat so rarely are. It's going to be AMAZING for people who like this style, though. I might buy it just because it looks and sounds so great.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for FromSoft to pump Sekiro straight into my veins.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think Sekiro will top it.

I want to be excited for DMCV, but there are two things holding me back:

1). You can't play as Dante through the entire game, start to finish

2). I'm not sold on V's playstyle