• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ALL OF THESE THOUGHTS RUNNIN' THROUGH MY HEAD

• ARM ON FIRE VEINS BURNIN' RED

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • FRUSTRATION IS GETTIN' BIGGER

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • BANG BANG BANG

Votes: 98 17.2%
  • PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Votes: 414 72.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Lol "full package". Let me know when some of y'all have put 500+ hours into a game like God of War. If you ask me, the game that can provide decades of entertainment and enjoyment is a much fuller package any day of the week. Not saying DMC5 will be one of those games, but I am saying that GoW certainly doesn't seem to be that to even its greatest fans from what I hear?

The demo for DMC5 definitely makes me hopeful this will be the game of the generation in general. I'm almost daring to wish for it to be the GOAT of the genre as well. Bayonetta 3 better be damn good to hold a candle to what this seems to be delivering.

Wonderful 101 better than Bayonetta 2?

Infinitely better. Bayonetta 2 is a much better game casually at a glance but W101 delivers far past anything in Bayo 2.

Also I saw a mention of DmC "splitting the fanbase". I don't think that's correct at all. It just introduced a bunch of new people to the series who never were interested in the mainline games, and that's fine. Some of them might not be interested in 5 either, but overall I think it has only bolstered and expanded the fanbase.

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Gave the demo another shot and It's like I thought. The more I play it, the more I like it. I found the actual dodge button this time haha, I was dodging with Gerbera exclusively first time around.

eTXBnnB.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Gave the demo another shot and It's like I thought. The more I play it, the more I like it. I found the actual dodge button this time haha, I was dodging with Gerbera exclusively first time around.

eTXBnnB.jpg

There's a lot of people with the same sentiment in the demo thread. At first it may feel weird (especially if the last DMC game you played was back in 2008), but you'll build muscle memory and get back into it. And the game leverages itself on creativity, creativity only possible when one gets a hand of the controls.

This bareones demo itself has some next level shit in it. Especially when you start putting in jump cancels and the like.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Imagine thinking that Bayonetta 3 will suprass DMC 5 while both Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 never managed to surpass DMC 4 gameplay and mechanics.

Good Luck to PG.
I don't think DMC3 has been topped by Bayonetta 1 or 2
But DMC4? Come on man, Dante is an absolute blast to play as but you have to play as a pretty boring counterpart for half the game in order to get to him so that you can play all said counterparts levels and enemies again. Not to mention the game isn't balanced around Dante so certain enemies simply become an absolute chore to fight such as Mephistos. It's a great game and Dante's capabilities are fantastic but I think people tend to forget the whole "rest of the game part" and don't even get me started on Special Edition which introduces 3 completely braindead characters. Overall I'd say Bayonetta is better than DMC4 if only because of better designed enemy encounters and level design. No enemy in DMC4 comes close to being as engaging as Grace and Glory.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This game is going to be a classic for sure, and hopefully one of the best action games ever made... but God of War is not being topped as the best action game of the generation. No way. Can't wait for DMC5 though! DMC3 is one of my favorites ever.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
There's a lot of people with the same sentiment in the demo thread. At first it may feel weird (especially if the last DMC game you played was back in 2008), but you'll build muscle memory and get back into it. And the game leverages itself on creativity, creativity only possible when one gets a hand of the controls.

This bareones demo itself has some next level shit in it. Especially when you start putting in jump cancels and the like.

Yeah, it felt much better the second time around. I respect the hell out of Capcom for still putting out games that are this "video-gamey" and over the top. It's gonna be a great game for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sekiro will top it.

I want to be excited for DMCV, but there are two things holding me back:

1). You can't play as Dante through the entire game, start to finish

2). I'm not sold on V's playstyle
WAT!? Has this been confirmed? Is Bloody Palace in the game?
Yeah, I can see V pulling the whole experience down a bit, as well. I would've prefered one of the girls.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear I need to stop coming into threads like this, hardcore Devil May Cry fans make me want this game less.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all "character action game" fans are insufferable. Almost as much as hardcore fighting game fans.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
WAT!? Has this been confirmed? Is Bloody Palace in the game?
Yeah, I can see V pulling the whole experience down a bit, as well. I would've prefered one of the girls.
Yeah they said you play as different characters per chapter and certain chapters allow you to select who you want to play as; but as of now there's no single character run of the entire game unless it's a post-game option, which we don't know yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they said you play as different characters per chapter and certain chapters allow you to select who you want to play as; but as of now there's no single character run of the entire game unless it's a post-game option, which we don't know yet.
Urgh, I don't like that. Especially if V isn't that much fun, so I will only have him and Nero as options for certain levels, right?
Day one --> waiting for full reviews

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dmcv with only bloody palace and no campaign would probably still be a better action game than anything else this gen.
Only to the most niche of niche audience who watch combo videos and shit. If DMC doesn't want to go back into the basement, it's gotta find a way to make the parts of the game where you don't fight interesting. Have some actual exploration, puzzle solving, environmental hazards, memorable non combat moments, in-game character interaction, something to hang its closed arena fights together besides running through non descript areas. Doesn't matter how much jump cancels you can do, eventually the combat gets monotonous when that's the only appealing aspect.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
As long as Dante has actual content to play through, I'll be satisfied.
The worst part about Dante's levels in DMC4 is not the reused assets, it's that they're so FUCKING short.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Dmc 5 excels in combat, but I don't think it will deliver as an complete package. Plot, level design, bosses, overall gameplay (not only combat) I think other games check higher in all these traits. Also Sekiro is coming....

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
I have faith that this game will be the one to dethrone DMC3 as the best action game of all time. I waited almost 15 years for this, but the wait is almost over. And the demo only boosted my confidence even more. It was much needed too, after last year's attempt at action with God of War. DMC5, with Sekiro and Bayonetta 3, are sure to be a trifecta of action game godliness!

DiableJambe11

Jun 1, 2018
The damn Demo is already a better action game than GoW.
A demo of a game is better than the GOTY in one of the hardest years to win GOTY. I guess that's your opinion... it isn't objectively better. Especially when we don't know if it will receive the same critical success... I vastly preferred GOW's combat over the older DMC games but I'll wait to play DMC5 in its entirety before making up my mind.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
ya too bad pc version is getting delayed..bunch of assholes. as long as it doesnt go epic store exclusive am good, have plenty of games to plya, but still sucks.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's still a bit too early.
There's Bayo 2&3, and Kamiya's new IP if that turns out to be real.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Urgh, I don't like that. Especially if V isn't that much fun, so I will only have him and Nero as options for certain levels, right?
Day one --> waiting for full reviews
Same here.

I would love to hear different and if we can play as Dante through the entire campaign even post-game - then I'll pick up a copy :)
Seriously.

And how is it "this shit again"? Not a lot of people know that you can't play as only one character from start to finish. This is relatively 'new' news.

Oct 25, 2017
Only to the most niche of niche audience who watch combo videos and shit. If DMC doesn't want to go back into the basement, it's gotta find a way to make the parts of the game where you don't fight interesting. Have some actual exploration, puzzle solving, environmental hazards, memorable non combat moments, in-game character interaction, something to hang its closed arena fights together besides running through non descript areas. Doesn't matter how much jump cancels you can do, eventually the combat gets monotonous when that's the only appealing aspect.

I actually want them to drop the platforming and puzzles that have been mostly bad in DMC and just focus on the combat.

Hopefully it's just fighting with awesome enemies and awesome bosses, it's all I want. As an example, I think Bayonetta 2 understood this and focused on its combat, it still has some set piece moments every now and then but it never forgets its strengths.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A demo of a game is better than the GOTY in one of the hardest years to win GOTY. I guess that's your opinion... it isn't objectively better. Especially when we don't know if it will receive the same critical success... I vastly preferred GOW's combat over the older DMC games but I'll wait to play DMC5 in its entirety before making up my mind.

Nothing is "objectively better" than anything, so that's a pointless thing to say.

And yes I think the demo is better than GoW as a game, I did like GoW but I think I'll just watch the story on YouTube when GoW2 comes out because as a game it was just not interesting to me, I wanted way more depth to the combat, more enemies, a better camera, more bosses... it didn't do anything for me as an action game fan, I did like the rest a lot.

Also whoever wins GOTY for the mainstream audience is pretty meaningless most of the time tbh, sometimes it does align with the "hardcore"(not a fan of the word) but yeah, opinions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
... it's gotta find a way to make the parts of the game where you don't fight interesting. Have some ... puzzle solving, environmental hazards, memorable non combat moments, in-game character interaction....

I understand you might be wanting -what seems to be a God of War like experience-

but I think a lot of people really don't want those things. Puzzle solving, in-game character interaction only kills pacing of the combat - especially in regards to replay value.

Environmental hazards...hmmm, not feeling that one.

These action games are at their best with they tend to minimize those things. DMC5 prevents combat from getting dull by having a large variety of enemy types, boss encounters, (we already know of like 8 boss fights in the game, this has the potential to match DMC3's boss count and quality). A multitude of weapons with a multitude of distinct characters to play.

I get that you like puzzles and platforming and things like that, but that's not what others want and that's not what DMC is about. In fact, even the platforming in DmC was these easy, feel good type of platforming.

DMC4 tried to do more exploration and puzzles, and just fucked up the pace of the combat because of that.

DMC5 looks like its being inspired by DmC in that regard, with more environment interactivity, larger levels with no load times, secret areas to explore, and platforming and puzzles that aren't complex, but are easy and provides a relief from the combat.

I mean think about all the lull parts people refer to when they think about to DMC4 and Bayo. For Bayo it's the QTE's, the on-rails segments (bike and space harrier). For DMC4 it's the castle exploration with the gyro blade puzzle, and the dice puzzle, and the sequence where Nero has to platform in Mission 3.

DMC3 did it best, with combat focused design, and it had these easy, brain teaser like puzzles (recall those light puzzle segments). It seems DMC5 is looking more at DMC3 and DmC in that regard.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Accurate. Bayonetta is the more accessible series for sure, and the ultra-responsive feel of the controls is instantly rewarding. It's unfortunate that the DMC series feels stiffer to play, but it seems that's the price for combat with unparalleled depth. The weightier physics lend themselves to blazing fast high level play.

Of course, Bayonetta allows for some absolutely insane setups with its combat system, which is all about manipulating the enemy's position. Its absence of jump cancels, slightly slower pace, and floatier physics are the only meaningful limiting factors. It would be great if Platinum would make just one Bayonetta game that does away with the built-in limits.

Limits are what defines games, often more then just giving you all the tools all the time.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand you might be wanting -what seems to be a God of War like experience-

but I think a lot of people really don't want those things. Puzzle solving, in-game character interaction only kills pacing of the combat - especially in regards to replay value.

Environmental hazards...hmmm, not feeling that one.

These action games are at their best with they tend to minimize those things. DMC5 prevents combat from getting dull by having a large variety of enemy types, boss encounters, (we already know of like 8 boss fights in the game, this has the potential to match DMC3's boss count and quality). A multitude of weapons with a multitude of distinct characters to play.

I get that you like puzzles and platforming and things like that, but that's not what others want and that's not what DMC is about. In fact, even the platforming in DmC was these easy, feel good type of platforming.

DMC4 tried to do more exploration and puzzles, and just fucked up the pace of the combat because of that.

DMC5 looks like its being inspired by DmC in that regard, with more environment interactivity, larger levels with no load times, secret areas to explore, and platforming and puzzles that aren't complex, but are easy and provides a relief from the combat.

I mean think about all the lull parts people refer to when they think about to DMC4 and Bayo. For Bayo it's the QTE's, the on-rails segments (bike and space harrier). For DMC4 it's the castle exploration with the gyro blade puzzle, and the dice puzzle, and the sequence where Nero has to platform in Mission 3.

DMC3 did it best, with combat focused design, and it had these easy, brain teaser like puzzles (recall those light puzzle segments). It seems DMC5 is looking more at DMC3 and DmC in that regard.
If they're not even gonna try outside of the combat, if they're gonna render everything outside of locked areans fights as irrelevant and don't matter, then they can save a lot of of trouble and dev time and just release bloody palace every few years. Just skip all the bullshit, all the empty window dressing where level design should be, and just release a game where you fight one encounter after another. Give the fans what they want and be honest about what game this is.

Oct 25, 2017
If they're not even gonna try outside of the combat, if they're gonna render everything outside of locked areans fights as irrelevant and don't matter, then they can save a lot of of trouble and dev time and just release bloody palace every few years. Just skip all the bullshit, all the empty window dressing where level design should be, and just release a game where you fight one encounter after another. Give the fans what they want and be honest about what game this is.

You know that they still want to sell millions and that would only work for the hardcore, and even I would like a full campaign and then go deep into Bloody Palace.

Also having levels and a CHEESY ass story is something I want as well, but the game knowing and being proud of what it does better than anything else in the industry is not " not even gonna try outside of combat", it's just playing to their strengths. I think that's way better than "here's some crap puzzle or platforming section in between battles".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's my feeling too lol. Again, DMCV is still rather unknown. But I don't see these things as window dressing. They add much needed variety.

Again, Bloody Palace is dope for what it is, but at least give me something campaign wise. Also, DMC4 is just horrible level design wise. They barely tried. Even DMC3SE had more interesting levels. If we're gonna base DMC's direction on DMC4's terrible level design, we've started on the wrong track.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
We shall see. Comparing to DMC 4, Bloodborne and God of War both had more polished gameplay. The Leviathan Axe mechanics were absolutely perfect. Granted, DMC4 is...10+ years old? So they've had a lot of time to improve.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I'm just happy it's actually moving the story forward instead of being before DMC2.

But I'll always lament that we won't get a DmC sequel.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
From a mechanics standpoint, definitely. The combat looks to be best in class and we've only really had a small taste of one character.

The question for me is how is the full package, DMC4 also had best in class combat but the overall package was pretty weak. Either way I'm extremely excited for the game and it makes me very happy to see DMC getting such good treatment again.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
When it comes to level design, I'd like to see a future DMC go back to the lite RE design of the first game. Very simple puzzles but with an environment that's less one-way corridors and more wrapped around itself with some backtracking* with a greater sense of space

I feel 3 tried to do this but I never enjoyed Tenemi-gru as much as Mallet Island. I don't hate a linear DMC, I'm planning on replaying the game a lot so a complicated structure is not something I want. But DMC1 hit the best balance imo.

*Good backtracking, not the shit in 4

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
is there a source for that? cause steam date was removed..or was never there and is still not there in the store page...latest update was steam data base put t at may.
It never was. The may update was not for the main game sub, probably Bloody Palace. Not to mention they specifically mention PC and Steam here at the very end.