• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Gamespot Article

During our demo we encountered the Divinity Statue, which acts as a shop where you can trade in orbs collected during combat and exploration, and in that menu we discovered that players will have the option to spend real money to accrue more orbs if they wish to expedite the upgrade process and beef up Dante earlier than usual.

"With giving people the ability to purchase Red Orbs, it's something we want to give people as an option. If they want to save time and just want to get all the stuff at once, those people can do that. But on the other hand I don't feel you have to get all the moves, " said Itsuno. "You should be able to play it the way you want to play it."

I had a suspicion this was going to happen after DMC4SE but still disappointing. Hopefully the game is still balanced so it doesn't feel too grindy to unlock everything without spending real money.

UPDATE: From one of the producers of the game

It's good to hear the game is still balanced like the old games. Even so, the inclusion of micro-transactions at all just makes, what is otherwise a spotless game, appear slimy.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eww, when the option is there, that question of "Did they make the grind worse to encourage spending real money" always springs to mind because of it.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Kinda view this in the same way I view using items in these games. It's for people that aren't very good and need an additional crutch, but the game is balanced around never using it.

Or that's what I hope.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
zzzz This is a non-issue, just play the game and dont buy anything, you'll get everything in a few hours anyway

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's basically the same as DMC4:SE, so you could basically ignore this & not miss out on anything.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
And you also get 100k red orbs for buying deluxe edition according to steam page

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We had this feature in DMC4SE. You arent going to get good paying more money anyway.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's reasonable to get everything without spending money. This quote doesn't make that look likely though.

But on the other hand I don't feel you have to get all the moves,

It's an action game. Of course you have to get all the moves.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it's the same as dmc4se where that kinda shit is totally pointless because the gain rate on orbs/proud souls is insanely high anyways

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DMC has always been grindy, it always took me more than one playthrough to unlock everything, but I guess now people are gonna feel like it's a new thing to get people to spend money.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
They allowed this stuff in DMC4SE, it was completely optional.

Not sure why people are immediately screaming "yuck" when they can just ignore it.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of mobile and NBA 2K, I've honestly never played a game with an option like this that felt at all balanced to make me want to drop money. And I've played some of the "worst" examples like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Shadow of War. I'm not nervous at all.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
If you hate microtransations, don't engage in them. The practice is pure greed.

If it's balanced like it is in DMC4SE, you can still purchase all the moves fairly quickly. There is no artificial padding to make you learn towards spending real money.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
What stops the player on PC to use cheat engine and get unlimited red orbs? Is the game always online or what?

Sep 14, 2018
giphy.gif

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
4SE had this and the game gave you a ton, I mean A TON of red orbs. They even added more orbs to the game compared to vanilla 4 while keeping the cost of the moves the same.

I think by just playing the game you'll be completely fine.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
As long as progression in DMC5 is the same as it has been in other titles, I don't see this becoming a big issue. Of course if it turns out that it take so long to upgrade your characters and they dangle the Microtransactions over your head every so often, then we can have a problem.

Best examples I can think of for the best and worst ways to do this would be Assassin's Creed Origins and Shadows of War from last year. One game allowed you to play at your own pace and gave you the option of getting stuff if you really wanted it while the other can make you feel like you are hitting brick walls so many times that it is practically demanding your money. All I can say is thank you Origins and you're dead to me Shadows of War (even after you removed it and had to rebalance the game because of it).

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
"With giving people the ability to purchase Red Orbs, it's something we want to give people as an option. If they want to save time and just want to get all the stuff at once, those people can do that. But on the other hand I don't feel you have to get all the moves, " said Itsuno. "You should be able to play it the way you want to play it."

tenor.gif

Nauro

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
You could already do this in DMC 4 Special Edition.

Capcom are the guys who are asking for £2.50 to edit your goddamn character in MHW, how did you not expect them to try and rip us off.

Thankfully it's just "shortcut" microtransactions.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That SUCKS. I reeeeeaally hope the entire game was designed before this was implemented. If the balance is out of whack because of being able to purchase them this could be really awful.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many players actually use features like this. I get wanting to beat the game quicker if you don't have time but in that case you'd just put it on a lower difficulty right?

Bravely default did this too, and let you buy more of the OP timestop move that is normally on a cool down.

Doesn't effect my hype but that better be the only form of gameplay effecting micro transactions.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What stops the player on PC to use cheat engine and get unlimited red orbs? Is the game always online or what?
These games are balanced around having max equipment and you get that in ressonable time. It doesnt matter much for higher difficilties that you can do this this isnt an ARPG.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I hope this isn't aggressive to the point where they want you to buy it instead of doing the lengthy grind.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
It's an option after all. And I expect it to be as balanced as it needed to get a good chunk of upgrades from the first playthrough. Not worried tbh.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Blergh. If we're criticizing other games for giving players "the option" to purchase stuff, then DMC 5 is no exception.
Didn't even know that shit like this was also included with DMC4:SE.

Here's hoping Activision doesn't fuck up Sekiro, so I can get that one instead without feeling guilty. This is just one more reason to not bother with DMC 5 at launch.

Eww, when the option is there, that question of "Did the make the grind worse to encourage spending real money" always springs to mind because of it.