• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Wow I never even thought to use the Super Characters. I'm assuming all it affects is what ranking you get? Would make getting the individual achievements a lot easier. I tried beating BP with V yesterday and got all the way to stage 100 and died at the mutated Vergil fight. Bummed me out hard. That move when he shoots the spikes up from the ground into the sweep kicks is brutal.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Yes it lowers your rank, but honestly I don't care in BP :-P
For the regular stages it's a problem though if you want the S-rank achievement.

I tried with normal V, the last boss is still easy.
I'm so bad with Dante it's time to go back training T_T

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Yes it lowers your rank, but honestly I don't care in BP :-P
For the regular stages it's a problem though if you want the S-rank achievement.

I tried with normal V, the last boss is still easy.
I'm so bad with Dante it's time to go back training T_T

Haha same at this point, I just can't keep wasting about 2 hours getting to the last few stages and blowing it. And yeah I wasn't worried about Vergil, just the second to last stage Vergil is very stressful. I was in a rush too the last time I played and I had to leave the house. I thought I could still suspend in-between the last few fights but you can't. It's just shotgun approach at that point, one after another, so he got in my head.

Got the All S rank achievement last week, so no issues there.

I'll probably try and still S rank with Dante because if you have a lot of orbs you can still cheese your way to the top on the difficult stages with Dr. Faust.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
iPQI7Mv.gif

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
After S ranking all the difficulties it's honestly a blast just to jump into BP with the Super Characters and just go apeshit crazy. It's a refreshing/relaxing change of pace after the struggles I faced before.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
I've been thinking about going through the campaign on DMD to unlock the super costumes. I do wanna get crazy on the enemies in BP, but I'm kinda done with the campaign after playing it on DH and SoS.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
I was halfway through DMD before I realised Nero's arm stopped enemy knockback after streak and calibur, felt like a bloody idiot.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I was halfway through DMD before I realised Nero's arm stopped enemy knockback after streak and calibur, felt like a bloody idiot.

You're talking about the Bringer Knuckle right? Yup you can stop the momentum of any of your attacks with it.

On top of that there are certain animations that allow you to spam the button to rapid punch, for example the start up animation for Showdown or when you hold the EX-streak buttons.

The awkward silence between Dante and Vergil is so painful, it hurts me physically. Both know they should sort their shit out and talk, but no one knows how to start and dares to be the first. So they just keep ignoring each other. It's horrible. .__.
Talking about horrible: It's a shame how they are able to abuse the shit out of Lady and Trish even in those scenes.
And I want to pet Shadow so bad!

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the Bringer Knuckle right? Yup you can stop the momentum of any of your attacks with it.

On top of that there are certain animations that allow you to spam the button to rapid punch, for example the start up animation for Showdown or when you hold the EX-streak buttons.
Yeah think someone already mentioned it in the thread but it was a game changer when I realised you can spam it while dodging.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
God, it's so annoying how the game doesn't give you any way to refill your health after restarting from a checkpoint. I want to beat all of DMD without Gold Orbs or Red Orb Revives, but how am I supposed to do that when it respawns me before the boss of Mission 1 with one little bar of health left, so I die in one hit? Ugh. The microtransactions really negatively affected how the difficulty was balanced, whether they planned on it or not.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God, it's so annoying how the game doesn't give you any way to refill your health after restarting from a checkpoint. I want to beat all of DMD without Gold Orbs or Red Orb Revives, but how am I supposed to do that when it respawns me before the boss of Mission 1 with one little bar of health left, so I die in one hit? Ugh. The microtransactions really negatively affected how the difficulty was balanced, whether they planned on it or not.
You are supposed to not die to begin with.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya, once you're playing in DMD, it really starts pushing you to be very clean in your play (and Hell and Hell being where it asks for perfection in play). If you just want to beat a mission, you can shove gold orbs in Dante or Nero or V's face as much as you want but score/style will obviously be about clean and good play.

With Nero, you can cheese with sweet surrender but the others absolutely not.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
After Sekiro I came back and finished DMD. I feel like enemies had a bit too much of health (especially fuckers like Proto Angelo or Juddeca), but wasn't that bad.
Vergil was annoying as hell near death though.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, the game doesn't seem to jive well with projectors (or at least mine).

Tried it for kicks yesterday and the input delay was really bad (even in menus), the colors were of and the framerate was very crappy. It runs perfectly fine on my monitor.

Tried Sekiro, MGSV GZ etc. on the projector right after and they looked and worked great. No input delay either.

Wonder if it's maybe an RE engine thing, will try RE2R later.

EDIT: RER2 isn't as bad. RE6 on the other hand looks and runs extremely well.

Last edited:

That's exactly how I see the dynamic between those two as well.
Dante knows how to press Vergil's buttons and does so with delight. While Vergil is triggered far too easily.
If they had accounts here, they would end up banned constantly. :P

Now imagine for a sec, instead of being separated during the attack, they went on living together somewhere until Dante later moves out to get his office.
They suffer the same traume and nightmares at night, it would be good to talk about it. But Dante prefers to bury it inside. He pretens to not care and hides behind his carefree attitude. Everytime Vergil tries to have a serious talk with him, he is annoyed by Dante turning everything into a joke. So eventually he gives up and bottles up everything in silence alone.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Is there any other way to set up dodging other than holding R1 and then pressing left or right and X? As it stands, this is very unwieldly, doesn't work in the air, and makes me wish I was playing Bayonetta instead. :<

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Aaaaah 100F with Nero at first try (damn you Urizen 2 for letting me at 5% health to do the next phase... -.-). I'm pretty satisfied. For real BP has been my best trainer it's easier when you know every ennemy pattern by heart. I'm still playing not stylish at all and some bosses are a bit different to manage at close range but I think I can do it after all. Maybe with super character if I lose patience :-P (but perma exceed makes me spam for real hahaha so I should avoid it I don't want bad habits I still have HoH to clear)

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Is there any other way to set up dodging other than holding R1 and then pressing left or right and X? As it stands, this is very unwieldly, doesn't work in the air, and makes me wish I was playing Bayonetta instead. :<
Jump. You're invicible during the first frames.
In the air you can double jump if you bought it, Nero's air taunt has iframes too and is fantastic. With Dante you can use the trickster style.

Parry is a powerful way to defend and counter attack too but the timing is more precise and punishing. Royal Guard style with Dante is fabulous and powerful but requires practice.

I don't have videos to explain better than me but if you're really uncomfortable with evasion there are other ways. Jumping is the easiest, imo.

Last edited:

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Jump. You're invicible during the first frames.
In the air you can double jump if you bought it, Nero's air taunt has iframes too and is fantastic. With Dante you can use the trickster style.

Parry is a powerful way to defend and counter attack too but the timing is more precise and punishing. Royal Guard style with Dante is fabulous and powerful but requires practice.

I don't have videos to explain better than me but if you're really uncomfortable with evasion there are other ways. Jumping is the easiest, imo.

Yeah, I'm only starting out, just played with Nero so far (barely started with V). Gonna give the air taunt a try, but yeah, I've mostly been jumping.

It really bothers me that evasion is so intimately tied with Lock On and shares the same button as Jump. Would it have killed them to put Evation at, say, R2? There's plenty unused buttons in the controller. :<

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
There's plenty unused buttons in the controller. :
Which ones ? I have no button left (without spoilers, you'll have one more action on Nero to set on a face button or bumper later in the game).

To me the fact that evasion is tied to the jump button is good with V (convenient to alternate fast the evasion with Shadow and Griffon to get them back to you very quickly to avoid a boss AoE for eg). With Nero I don't use it often. I like it on 'furies' (red annoying lizard).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really bothers me that evasion is so intimately tied with Lock On and shares the same button as Jump. Would it have killed them to put Evation at, say, R2? There's plenty unused buttons in the controller. :<

Regular jump bro.

Regular jump (which needs no lock on) has plenty of i-frames in DMC. It's your universal dodge move. You don't need the lock on dodge.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I finished off the last BP clear I needed (Dante). Still going through getting all S ranks on Hell and Hell. Mission 12 is killing me! I'm not good enough at urizen to no hit him and the point total is tuned so tight that it's nearly impossible for me to get 5500 without the no checkpoint bonus. I guess I could always abuse faust hat, but I've gotten this far without it so it feels like a cop out to start relying on it now. I'll just practice the BP fight until I get proficient enough to not get hit.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Modders have successfully restored reverse attacks in DMC5 (by finding it through chance).

Seems like it was just a matter of changing some values. The hardcore combo guys are very excited.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what am reverse attack
Through execution you could use lock on moves in the reverse direction. It was in DMC4 and it was in the DMC5 demo but Capcom removed it because it didn't work with their shitty lock on system in DMC5 (where it sporadically changed targets) and new players would accidentally get reversed inputs due to the lock on changes. But the code for reverse attacks always existed in the game and now it has been unlocked.

Reverse attacks are huge because it essentially "doubles" what you can do with certain moves. Now I can come down with Nero using reverse Split without hitting the enemy. Now I can move in the air away from enemies as Nero by doing reverse Calibur.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Maybe we'll see some more DSD usage in combo vids once the Dante reversal address is figured out. Understandable most have been sticking to rebellion/sparda because no reversed helm splitter, but I feel like there is a lot of cool shit you can do with the swordmaster moves

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll see some more DSD usage in combo vids once the Dante reversal address is figured out. Understandable most have been sticking to rebellion/sparda because no reversed helm splitter, but I feel like there is a lot of cool shit you can do with the swordmaster moves
Dante reverse address is already figured out.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So getting into some of these boss fights is near-impossible unless you do a no-hit run to them. Fantastic.

No previous DMC game made the simple process of retrying from a boss on DMD an awful pain in the ass.
Well previous DMC games have had limited checkpoints to begin with so if you didn't have Yellow orbs you started the whole mission again.

Usually a level leading up to the boss has health/DT globes around that you can fill up your health with before the checkpoint triggers.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that only 1 and the first localized version of 3?
DMC1 and DMC3 yeah. So there is precedence for it.

In DMC5, the healing is your red orbs and devil trigger. You gotta manage your HP. That said they could have changed the checkpoints to be better.. it's particularly punishing for Nero.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Did Bloody Palace as Dante, SDT is an ass saver, but overall was just fine.
I don't even comprehend certain rooms as standard V (like three Furies), might cheese it with Super costume.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Modders making head way on restoring Inertia in DMC5 as well.

More value changing stuff which tells me this stuff was in the game at some point as well. But Inertia is going to take more fine tuning and work to get right because as it is, it's going to look hella wonky when Dante is flying around. Also the enemy step start up time and DMC5's lower all gravity is going to make Inertia look wonky. But we are just one month in and already we have a lot of stuff like arm switching (infinite), reverse attacks, turbo mode, various trainers and pseudo inertia.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Did Bloody Palace as Dante, SDT is an ass saver, but overall was just fine.
I don't even comprehend certain rooms as standard V (like three Furies), might cheese it with Super costume.

The super costumes don't invalidate the trophies? I might consider using the super costume for V, then. I cleared it with Nero and Dante but I don't really feel like doing it legit with V. It just isn't that fun playing as him for extended periods of time.

Of course... I still have to actually beat DMD in order to use the costumes...

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Super costumes give a malus (x0.20) at your rank score, but it doesn't matter in BP so you'll get the trophy and the taunt anw.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Modders making head way on restoring Inertia in DMC5 as well.

More value changing stuff which tells me this stuff was in the game at some point as well. But Inertia is going to take more fine tuning and work to get right because as it is, it's going to look hella wonky when Dante is flying around. Also the enemy step start up time and DMC5's lower all gravity is going to make Inertia look wonky. But we are just one month in and already we have a lot of stuff like arm switching (infinite), reverse attacks, turbo mode, various trainers and pseudo inertia.

How do you do the infinite arm switching?