• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So, I beat DMD today. Overall it wasn't too tough. Regular enemies felt pretty well balanced and had just the right amount of health (the exception being Proto Angelos who were absurdly tanky). Bosses had a little too much health IMO, although this is really only for the early game bosses. The last few bosses (King Ceberus, Urizen, and Vergil) all felt better balanced than some of the earlier ones. Speaking of Urizen though, his fight in Mission 17 really shines on DMD. On lower difficulties it's way too easy and doesn't really force you to learn his mechanics. On DMD however, the fight is way more demanding and forces you to learn to style switch if you want to beat him.

Dastidood

Oct 27, 2017
Man that King Cerberus fight just drags on and on on DMD...
In DMC3 you could take out the problematic heads... Does the same thing work here as well...? I want to take out the ice head...

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
No more DLC is a major downer. No more characters? No extra weapons for Dante? Not even alt costumes? Come on.

If any DMC deserved the Bayonetta 1 and 2 treatment in terms of bonus content, it's DMC5.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Someone's probably pointed it out before, but I only noticed now that Lady's belt in 5 is exactly the same as Dante's in 4.

tumblr_pqz1yc27vF1vql4xno1_540.png

Given how they had to actually create real replicas of all these costumes, that's a nice detail to make it in.
(It also means that Dante isn't just borrowing her gear one-way, with the Kalinas and her goggles...)

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mopping up the collectibles before moving on to SoS and beyond and while getting upgrades strewn around levels in games of this type is never interesting this is even worse with every room half-way through looking the same.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not having trouble with the enemies it's more like they take forever to kill than when I'm using either Nero or Dante. I guess I'm just using some pretty terrible attacks with him/ or not using him the "correct" way.

The thing about V is that your damage output will suck if you are just mashing.

Hit up the void and look at the damage output of Shadow/Griffin's moves. The difference in damage between just mashing Shadow combo A and doing its combo B/C is like night and day. His charge attack and skewer do great damage as well. He also has a launcher, juggle combos etc.

Griffin has his own launch move (which you can sync with Shadow to juggle) and his charge moves are solid for AOE.

Don't forget about pumping Shadow/Griffin's ex gauge as well. Gives them a nice damage boost too iirc. They rip Artemis apart when ex'd up in mission 14, Shadow in particular.

Throw Nightmare into the mix and yeah, your damage output should be solid.

With Nero and Dante the damage is focused around them individually, with V it's around syncing the damage between 3 summons to maximize output.

Man that King Cerberus fight just drags on and on on DMD...
In DMC3 you could take out the problematic heads... Does the same thing work here as well...? I want to take out the ice head...

The fire form is pretty easy to royal guard (all its melee attacks are very telegraphed) so you can use that form to build the royal release meter to do chunks of damage. You can also save up SDT for the end of the fight to speed things up.

But honestly most of the tanky bosses are in Dante's missions and imo that's probably because they are balanced around him having Faust (i.e. they are balanced around him using all his tools).

Even ignoring the big meteor attack (which you definitely can use towards the end of a fight if you want to skip the tanky phase in DMD) there's the moves like Man in the Red and Magic Hat which are active while he is fighting normally (and both activated at the same time) so act as solid damage boosters. The Man in the Red is really good for taking down Urizen's crystal in M12 iirc.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Shadow's skewer is very high in damage and can hit an entire line of enemies, so setting it up is very rewarding.

Nightmare laser is a behemoth destroyers even on DMD.

If you attack too fast with V you can end up playing inneficiently.

As mentioned royal fork is a good AOE escape hatch as well. I frames and high damage and if you hit a lot of enemies you get some DT back as well.

Someone's probably pointed it out before, but I only noticed now that Lady's belt in 5 is exactly the same as Dante's in 4.

tumblr_pqz1yc27vF1vql4xno1_540.png

Given how they had to actually create real replicas of all these costumes, that's a nice detail to make it in.
(It also means that Dante isn't just borrowing her gear one-way, with the Kalinas and her goggles...)
It actually led to a short DantexLady discussion back in the day, yeah.
We already know they go to the same gunmaker, not far from going to the same accessories shop too, I guess. :D

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yay. Finally S ranked my final mission on Devil Hunter mode (the prologue, of all missions!). Wasn't too bad once I got into a decent rhythm. Then I look up and seen Sunhi's new gif and realise how bad I am at the game!

Only a few more collectables left and its basically down to the difficulty based ones. Yeah, that'll take me a while for sure!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The parry when I did it seems based off damage. I could do it to Artemis on DMD until she DT-ed, then she just soaked it up. It works similar to Dante's royal release on Vergil I think

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Finally s ranked mission 8 on hell and hell. Helter skelter breakage spam saved me

That mission fucking sucks lol 😭

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
SoS mode on this game is pure gaming bliss... all weapons/moves unlocked and harder enemy encounters basically cements this as my favourite action combat in a game I've played in ages. I'm just having so much fun, Capcom really knocked it out of the park on this one. Just cleared up mission 8, was quite concerned that I'd need to use a gold orb to clear Urizen as I was on half health but on my second try I managed to basically beat his first phase taking no damage. Its not really that hard at all, but it felt super good no doubt!

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
With this being on offer on the EU PSN store just now, I decided to jump in as I've been itching to play this for a while. Is there any DMC masters here, or YouTube channels that will help get me up to speed on how to tackle the game? Just the fundamentals that'll get me up and running. Thanks in advance :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dante's bosses (especially Cavalier Angelo) are fucking fantastic on higher difficulties... The more I play this game the more I love it.

With this being on offer on the EU PSN store just now, I decided to jump in as I've been itching to play this for a while. Is there any DMC masters here, or YouTube channels that will help get me up to speed on how to tackle the game? Just the fundamentals that'll get me up and running. Thanks in advance :)
Maybe check out DevilNeverCry 's channel; he made several tutorial vids; linked some throughout this thread.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...t-where-does-the-time-go.103797/post-19955214

s y

Nov 8, 2017
HOly fuck I've been reading the Worthy Of Legend trophy ll wrong. Thougt it was get S ranks for all modes EXCEPT HELL AND HELL.

I just wrapped up my final DmD S rank and was wondering where my trophy was :(

Rasen

Jun 11, 2018
Hi guys, did the game sold well ? 'cause I really don't understand why Capcom won't make more contents for the game like youknowho playable or what. It makes me sad, we waited 11 years and if the game isn't a flop I really dont see why they aren't any DLC in sight.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, did the game sold well ? 'cause I really don't understand why Capcom won't make more contents for the game like youknowho playable or what. It makes me sad, we waited 11 years and if the game isn't a flop I really dont see why they aren't any DLC in sight.
Hard to say exactly. It could be something as simple as Itsuno's team wanting to move on to another project.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It sold really well.

If there is no DLC it's because they are following the mainline series norm, which is to release a Special Edition later instead of DLC.

They make way more money this way, DMC4SE sold great.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I finished Human with 7 blue orb fragments still not found. Since the game doesn't say which missions still have fragments left, I'll probably just buy two orbs for $2.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I started SOS and found a blue orb fragment in mission 3, so if I can find two more fragments I'll save myself a dollar.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, SoS difficulty cleared. Had some issues with the final boss fights, mainly just finding decent opening to counter attack. Speaking of which, for Dante's boss fight especially do people see it worth trying to attack Virgil when he DTs? Or just wait? As I tended to just evade him in those parts, because otherwise I'd just lose too much health due to my own impatience/silliness.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So, SoS difficulty cleared. Had some issues with the final boss fights, mainly just finding decent opening to counter attack. Speaking of which, for Dante's boss fight especially do people see it worth trying to attack Virgil when he DTs? Or just wait? As I tended to just evade him in those parts, because otherwise I'd just lose too much health due to my own impatience/silliness.
I usually just build up Royal Guard meter during DT. I barely do any damage aside from RG release on the flying attack.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I usually just build up Royal Guard meter during DT. I barely do any damage aside from RG release on the flying attack.
Ah ok. I got cagey and stopped RG'ing during that bit because I was just not accurate enough (took more damage than I was comfortable with) and just focused on evasion instead. Not great for building meter, but kept me alive at least!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed it over the weekend and I've played the story for 45mins and Void Mode for 4 hours. Practiced yesterday until my hands hurt. Great game. I might have a problem.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Equip DSD > Swordmaster > hold style button to summon homing swords and release

They will home in on the boss and attack him on their own and keep his health regen in check.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The first half of the year is almost up and I can't believe a Devil May Cry game is still the third highest scoring game of this year so far.

Can't believe(typo) Capcom has 2 games in top 3.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The first half of the year is almost up and I can't believe a Devil May Cry game is still the third highest scoring game of this year so far.

Can't blame Capcom has 2 games in top 3.
Capcom knocked it out of the park in terms of games this year. Both this and RE2 are fucking fantastic, and incredibly replayable, which is probably what impresses me more. I didn't expect to get so many hours out of RE2 especially! Only other game I see up there with these two is Sekiro.

Equip DSD > Swordmaster > hold style button to summon homing swords and release

They will home in on the boss and attack him on their own and keep his health regen in check.

Thanks for the tip :) I'll be sure to utilise that in my DMD playthrough.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Capcom knocked it out of the park in terms of games this year. Both this and RE2 are fucking fantastic, and incredibly replayable, which is probably what impresses me more. I didn't expect to get so many hours out of RE2 especially! Only other game I see up there with these two is Sekiro.

Honestly surprised how many AAA games didn't even cross 80 MC/OC so far.

Most of them being open world as well, perhaps signaling a change in appeal?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised how many AAA games didn't even cross 80 MC/OC so far.

Most of them being open world as well, perhaps signaling a change in appeal?
Could be. I personally kinda get turned off against open world games that boast "biggest world ever" as it always ended up meaning "empty world/repetitive collectathon and missions". Yakuza is the only exception to the open world rule for me because they are smaller hub worlds with tons of different stuff to do. I just vastly prefer the tighter pacing of linear games - Rage 2 for one sounds like it has great action but a barren open world, so I guess I'll just be waiting for Doom Eternal for my FPS fix.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Could be. I personally kinda get turned off against open world games that boast "biggest world ever" as it always ended up meaning "empty world/repetitive collectathon and missions". Yakuza is the only exception to the open world rule for me because they are smaller hub worlds with tons of different stuff to do. I just vastly prefer the tighter pacing of linear games - Rage 2 for one sounds like it has great action but a barren open world, so I guess I'll just be waiting for Doom Eternal for my FPS fix.
This is exactly how I feel (DOOM Eternal is going to be great) and why I couldnt get the criticism of DMC5 being too linear because of all the open world non-sense there is nowadays it made it feel so refreshing.

Also finally beat Bloody palace with Nero, dont know why final form Urizen was so hard for me to beat when I can play with Vergil like hes nothing but it was so satisfying to finally get to put up my hood whenever.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It took me a long time to get thru DMC5 on Demon Hunter. Not cause it was hard; in fact its biggest fault was being too easy. But I kept getting sidetracked by real life stuff and wasn't compelled to keep playing and playing like I was with RE2.

But once I had seen the end credits and got more experience with all the characters, I couldn't wait to play it again on Hitman and on SOS, and watch all the pre-viz cutscenes. Right now it's just a little behind RE2 on my GotY list. It's great to have a linear game that still has tons of replayability.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly how I feel (DOOM Eternal is going to be great) and why I couldnt get the criticism of DMC5 being too linear because of all the open world non-sense there is nowadays it made it feel so refreshing.

Also finally beat Bloody palace with Nero, dont know why final form Urizen was so hard for me to beat when I can play with Vergil like hes nothing but it was so satisfying to finally get to put up my hood whenever.

Agreed. I get some of the level design complaints for DMC5 (some) but I still prefer its linear approach compared to a more open world based game (the Transformers Devastation concept here for example would have sucked, in my opinion). Even DmC which had a focus on platforming/grappling which I enjoyed in my first playthrough got annoying later on in the game replays because all I wanted to do was the fighting bits - which is essentially what DMC5 gives me. So especially in replays DMC5 holds up super well as its just about the combat, and the combat feels so damn good!

I'm around halfway through the game now, mission 12 DMD I think. Its... hard. The Angelo fight in Mission 11 felt fantastic, but it schooled me so many times. Definitely not getting anywhere near close to S ranks on this mode that's for sure. SoS for me is the sweet spot - harder than normal difficulty but not so brutal as DMD is for me.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom platinum seller list updated.

With DMC5 series, DMC has now sold over 20 million units total.