• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
so i'm late on this but... that interview i did finally went up

...two weeks ago and I didn't notice

www.theguardian.com

'What makes action games fun hasn’t changed': Devil May Cry's Hideaki Itsuno

Capcom’s veteran game director reveals how one of the year’s best games was made – and why successful game design need not be a crunch moment

Missed this earlier as well.

Was surprised that they spend time talking about crunch period.

"Capcom is a really interesting mix of old and new," adds Walker, "and a lot of the younger people, they're not sticking around for the sake of it if they don't have anything to do. When six o'clock rolls around, there's really not many people left because they've gone home to live their lives."

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
3hNTtPj.gif

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I got a complicated combo for Dante I'm working on but need motivation to finish it.
I love the game and the combat system so much and one of the reasons is because of how deep/complicated you can go with it.
I typically spend a few hours in the Void just practising some combos or getting the timing down on certain moves, once you do though and can pull of the combo/move at a more regular basis it just feels so good, then it's a just matter of spending time pulling it off during a mission to capture the footage. :D

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yep, though I'm too lazy to do it on an actual mission and there's not a lot of good environments for Dante that has a nice backdrop I feel.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DHMalice, Millz and Rex Prime, prominent members of the DMC high level play community have published an extraordinary guide for Dante in DMC5. I highly recommend checking it out as it is very comprehensive:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing the game today. I'm not digging V. Like, at all. I figured I wouldn't like his playstyle from trailers and gameplay footage, and actually playing the game is making that even more obvious. Does he get better? Or will I just have to suffer until getting to the good stuff?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just started playing the game today. I'm not digging V. Like, at all. I figured I wouldn't like his playstyle from trailers and gameplay footage, and actually playing the game is making that even more obvious. Does he get better? Or will I just have to suffer until getting to the good stuff?

There are like only three levels in which you have to play as V. But he does get a bit better once you buy his moves.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
Finally picked this up last week and beat it on normal then started SOS. I checked out DevilNeverCry's videos (which are great!), but does anyone have recommendations for intermediate guides for V and Dante. DNCs Nero video gave me some good ideas of things to practice for style, staying in the air, and damage, and I'm looking for something similar for V and Dante.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've been wondering about V stuff as well. It seems like there's no tech whatsoever with him, unless you're really good like Sakaki.

Chasertech was doing stuff for Dante I think but I don't know how complete his videos are.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Man I hope it's just the harder learning curve, but I'm enjoying Nero so much more than Dante. I get he's supposed to be more flashy (Ken/Ryu = Dante/Nero&Virgil lol) and stylish but all this switching feels pretty cumbersome.

Does Dante gradually click? Or did you guys like playing as Nero better?

SunhiLegend great stuff man. This and your Horizon and GOW gifs are amazing!

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Just takes practice, in 4 Nero was my preferred for like 10 years until I started practicing Dante mid last year and now Nero is boring to use for me. Just feels more rewarding.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dante had the harder to S rank missions (10, 18 etc.) so by default I spent more time playing him in SOS and DMD.

It's honestly tough going back to Nero after playing a session with Dante.

Nero is ofcourse amazing in his own way and stands head and shoulders above most/all characters in other action games but Dante's kit is too damn good in DMC5.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Played through dmc5 last week and i dont know... The segments in the qliphoth were just plain, ugly, confusing and i constantly got lost. The dante-dance was cringey.
And i sort of outgrew this corny cool-talk, i guess. Iam a fan from the first minute, i bought dmc day one back then. After revengeance and bayonetta i think i feel too old to enjoy such shit-talk and nonsense story. I love the character-action-gameplay but dont make the character talk such horseshit.... And please dont design the end-game-content this ugly

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
Is there any way to still get the Ps4 theme for this game?
The fan wiki mentions a Japanese Download Card version coming with a theme, and honestly would be down to double dip and give a friend the game for it.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
hi, did anyone check on "why does v look like kylo ren"?
i need an answer.
oh and when i started this game, instantly thought "i hope v does not stand for vergil, if so, this would be stupid"

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some top tier free form Modded DMC5 play:

Mods include:

*Reverse attacks enabling
*Inertia plus redirect
*No screen shake/slow down
*Less recovery on Royal Guard
*Million Stab from Stinger starts up faster
*Rainstorm starts up faster
*1.1-1.2x Turbo mode (I forgot which he is using but I think its 1.1x which is slower than regular Turbo mode in DMC3/DMC4)
*Probably a mod for less recover for Trickser Dashes as well.

Most of these changed are meant to bring the playstyle closer to DMC4 which retaining the various enhancements and additions that DMC5 brought.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Some more crazy DMC5 goodness. The V combos in there are actually insane!

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of finally getting into this. Question for players that might have played both, did you enjoy PS4 or PC more?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Thinking of finally getting into this. Question for players that might have played both, did you enjoy PS4 or PC more?

The PC version is great but the PS4 version is fantastic as well. If your PC can run it at higher than 1440p resolutions and higher than 60 fps, go for PC.

If you're happy with 1080p at 60 fps, then base PS4 is fine. PS4 Pro does 4k checkerboard at 60 fps.

You can't go wrong either way.

Oct 28, 2017
They are pretty much identical. On PC you can have higher framerate and resolutions and some extra effects like hbao during cutscenes. And mods.
The Pro and the X versions are solid while the base consoles are not the greatest at keeping it at 60 fps.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I play on Pro. The frame rate drops a ton when playing with a fully upgraded Dante against some bosses (lots of electricity and flames and shit). Go PC I'd say.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about Vergil and people constantly asking why he isn't playable yet.

Honestly they should really take their time with him and flesh him out. If he just plays close to boss Vergil (which he will if they rush him) then he will pale in comparison to Dante and Nero.

In terms of complexity it should go Dante > Vergil > Nero > V.

If they give him his usual secondary weapons like the gauntlets and call it a day then he will be just more of the same. Even the summon swords aren't as much of a distinct factor anymore since Dante uses them quite a bit now and even Nero has them to a lesser extent.

So I've kinda been thinking what they could do to add a new angle of depth to him and instantly set him apart. And also about how V's play style is kinda being wasted since we will likely never see him again.

Imo it would be amazing if they incorporated summons into Vergil's core gameplay. Basically give him an arsenal of summons that he can use in tandem with normal combat and summon swords.

For DMC5 it can be V's trio and maybe some more but it general, or in future games, it could be him getting a summon after he beats a boss etc. instead of just a weapon. Summons could be in different types such as attacking, traps, set ups etc.

It would look awesome visually, be very deep gameplay wise and instantly set him apart. Would be very future proof too.

So basically instead of throwing V away or devaluing him because of what he is, they can have both his summoning style and Vergil's melee style functioning at the same time. It would also add an element of ranged combat to Vergil that Dante and Nero don't have.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Bit of a late time to ask this I guess, but where do people fall on the bosses in this game?

I feel like Cavalier Angelo is the best cause it's one of the few that's hard to overwhelm through constant attack cancelling. Unlike standing Urizen which is maybe the worst of the bunch for me. I've been trying to do a no damage run against Cav and it's really fun learning his tells and parry windows.

Vergil against Dante was disappointing in comparison

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 over 2.5 million copies now. Capcom expects it to sell 3.5 million by next year.

With some of their other major title performances, seems like Capcom can do this with aggressive sales. SFV made 600k in 3 months apparently despite being at its tailend.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Figured I'll post a combo, wasn't the complicated one I was working on before. Just something more suited for live play.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
DMC5 over 2.5 million copies now. Capcom expects it to sell 3.5 million by next year.

With some of their other major title performances, seems like Capcom can do this with aggressive sales. SFV made 600k in 3 months apparently despite being at its tailend.

I actually expect Capcom to hold off on DMC5:Special Edition.

If DMC5 vanilla is still selling well (it outsold RE2 in the same three month period) I expect Capcom to wait on the SE to extract all the sales it can from the vanilla version.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect DMC5SE soon anyway.

At the earliest it would be hitting some time next year.

Personally I'm expecting it to be cross gen or next gen ala DMC4SE.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm really missing something about V's gameplay. I'm getting S and above on like every fight with him, but it also feels like there's almost nothing to him. I'm at his first bunch of stages in hard mode and I'm just getting bored fighting with him.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
There's a mod out that adds coop in dmc5 for more missions.

www.nexusmods.com

COOP Trainer for Devil May Cry 5

Divergence Mode (play as Nero, Dante or V in any mission); More playable Coop missions and Bloody Palace Coop with up to 4 players (Nero, Dante, V and Vergil); Various graphics options and a Boss Swap