• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So what are our hopes for a special edition at this point?
> Trish, Lady, Vergil (IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ME TO WANT THEM AGAIN THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT THEM IN THE GAME)
> Turbo mode
> God Must Die + Must Style difficulties (credit where credit is due)
> Play as any character on any stage post beating the game
MAYBE switch devil breakers. Maybe. After beating the game. At least on SOS.

1. Turbo mode and LDK mode on Consoles would be the safest bet which all but guaranteed a next gen release.

2. They have to be sick of hearing people ask for more playable characters as I am by now so that's probably another safe bet. Would love to see Trish and Lady get more fleshed out moves. But it would be absolutely crazy if they brought back Lucia too.

3. Get the co-op system up and running. Even if they don't implement it into the campaign having A separate mode similar to RE5's Score Attack mercenaries mode would do wonders for the game's longevity.

Those three are the most loudly requested additions so they'll probably be included in some form or another.

EDIT:

Oh one more thing, I don't think they would ever give true on-the-fly Devil Breaker switching because they made a self-destructing those breakers an actual gameplay mechanic. The best you can hope for is to rotate between the Breakers that's next in line, basically making the Pasta Breaker obsolete but fuck it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember which ones, but I believe there are two missions where the requirements to get S ranked are kind of dumb. I know one of them is the first mission you get to play Dante as. Forgot which number that was.
Mission 10 was also pretty hard to S-rank (first mission with Dante). It's really inconsistent how hard to do it between missions.
Sometimes especially with V I feel like I did terrible, got hit a lot and was just mashing buttons but get 6000+ stylish points, then there are these 2 missions with Dante and Mission 8 with Nero where you really have to nail it and then you get just enough points for the rank.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm super slow but Mission 18 is sooo hard to S rank compared to all the others. It's ridiculous.!

The scoring on M10 and M18 is definitely screwed up.

That being said you can S rank them legit if you use the style scoring system as intended.

Basically you get the highest style points by doing damage on the highest style ranks. So to maximize score you should get to SSS as soon as you can (preferably doing as little damage as you can) and then once there you start doing all your damage.

For example, when I was playing the first Griffin fight in M18 normally I would get 5K scores and sometimes 6K. But when I started using the method mentioned above, I first just stood there and parried Griffin's attacks to get to SSS and only then started dealing damage. Ended up with a 7.5K score on the fight.

I spent hours trying to S rank M10. Did it from first try after getting to S rank or above before dealing proper damage.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
yLLHwJ1.gif

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, DT gives trickster a triple jump.

Anyway I think that's the best video I've ever seen of dmc5, but I'm not into combo mads. Much prefer people bullying bosses with their creativity instead

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Motivated by those cool videos here I started another playthrough. So far only S ranks and I am on mission 7. The game is still really great.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Made my way to Dante must die difficulty and this is no joke. I had serious trouble beating the last boss on son of Sparda but this difficulty is something else. I had to redo mission 1 several times because the boss got me a couple of times. I am not sure if I can beat the game on this difficulty. The enemies are craaaazy. But styling through enemies is still a lot of fun!

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Made my way to Dante must die difficulty and this is no joke. I had serious trouble beating the last boss on son of Sparda but this difficulty is something else. I had to redo mission 1 several times because the boss got me a couple of times. I am not sure if I can beat the game on this difficulty. The enemies are craaaazy. But styling through enemies is still a lot of fun!

Oh hell yeah it is. I'd recommend putting some time into practicing against enemies in the void/blood palace, Dante Must Die is tough as nails. Unless you really know how to dismantle an enemy some of them can be down right painful to fight - like the Angelo's during the end of that V/Nero mission.
I'm on my way to S-Ranking all missions and man, I can't for the life of me S-rank SOS mission 10, and I've only done managed to bang out S-Ranks for Nero on Dante Must Die

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Question:
Found out that the monkey business devil breaker is free on PSN so I downloaded it. Now every devil breaker in every level is monkey business which is straight up annoying. I want to play with different breakers too. Anyone knows how to revert this? For steam I found a solution but not for PS4.

On another note I made it to mission 4 on Dante must die. My least favorite enemies are hell anteras and those lizards. Both do a ton of damage.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Question:
Found out that the monkey business devil breaker is free on PSN so I downloaded it. Now every devil breaker in every level is monkey business which is straight up annoying. I want to play with different breakers too. Anyone knows how to revert this? For steam I found a solution but not for PS4.

On another note I made it to mission 4 on Dante must die. My least favorite enemies are hell anteras and those lizards. Both do a ton of damage.

Sep 20, 2018
So what are our hopes for a special edition at this point?
> Trish, Lady, Vergil (IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ME TO WANT THEM AGAIN THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT THEM IN THE GAME)
> Turbo mode
> God Must Die + Must Style difficulties (credit where credit is due)
> Play as any character on any stage post beating the game

MAYBE switch devil breakers. Maybe. After beating the game. At least on SOS.

1). Playable Trish, Lady, Lucia, and Vergil

2). Turbo mode

3). LDK mode

4). Play as any character in any level.

5). Two mini-campaigns- Ladies Night (with Trish, Lady, and Lucia) and Hell mini-campaign with Dante and Vergil.

6). Bring back Agni & Rudra and Nevan. Preferably as weapons for Dante (have Dante encounter a Nevan in hell and get Queen Nevan from her, which would have guitar, scythe, and saxophone forms; then have him unlock Agni & Rudra upon escaping hell/completing the campaign). Another option would be to give them to Trish since she no longer has Sparda.

7). Co-Op, either in campaign or (more likely) in Bloody Palace.

8). Extra costumes.

9). Even more music choices- both classics (Divine Hate, Suffer) and new ones from 5 (Silver Bullet, Voltaic Black Knight).

A&R and Nevan are long-shots (as are mini-campaigns), but I think the rest is fairly likely (maybe not co-op, but I hear that was planned for 5).

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How do people feel about this SSSS mechanic?

I'm thinking I would like it better if it was 50% weaker, but accessible at S rank instead. If you're good enough to not get hit then it seems like you can almost stomp certain bosses until they get up (Cav Angelo in particular just hates SSSS, you can get him in a SSSS & Real Impact punish loop and take off 60% of his health at least on DMD).

Some bosses tho seem balanced around the mechanic, which is actually incredibly annoying (Cerberus)

It's also that the combo building potential of it is kind of let down by the fact that it murders the shit out of everything very easily.

But I do love its version of Air Trick, way faster and further range and little recovery. Using vortex to herd enemies around or fly into airborne stuff is fun too

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm thinking I would like it better if it was 50% weaker, but accessible at S rank instead. If you're good enough to not get hit then it seems like you can almost stomp certain bosses until they get up (Cav Angelo in particular just hates SSSS, you can get him in a SSSS & Real Impact punish loop and take off 60% of his health at least on DMD).

Some bosses tho seem balanced around the mechanic, which is actually incredibly annoying (Cerberus)

It's also that the combo building potential of it is kind of let down by the fact that it murders the shit out of everything very easily.

But I do love its version of Air Trick, way faster and further range and little recovery. Using vortex to herd enemies around or fly into airborne stuff is fun too

Love it personally and see no reason to nerf it. It is supposed to be Dante's super powered up state after all.

Feels like this really powerful 5th style that you can phase in and out of and gives extra motivation to reach and maintain high style outside of just style points.

It has good utility too between the great melee and range attacks and the teleport/dodge and the stinger like move for defense and mobility. There's also the ground pound move from the air which knocks down almost anything in the game.

It was so satisfying to use that it felt like something was missing with Nero during SSS after I went back to him after a while of S ranking Dante's missions on DMD.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

I love it. I knew I was getting better at the game when I actually started integrating SDT in combos instead of doing the cutscene-desperately spam moves until meter runs out-recovery animation

S would be way too easy, even if it was nerfed. I can usually hit an S rank after an overdrive-stinger-dance macabre-revolver hot stuff combo. To get SSS I have to be a bit more broad.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, the reason I was saying is that it seems like it impacted the design of Cerberus and Urizen, they are so tanky. Like they expect you to SSSS all the time.

Poor Cav just can't deal with it once you go SSSS on his ass though. He becomes very easy to bully once you work him out.

Tho tbf a Real Impact does as much damage as SDT. I find it easier a lot of the time to charge up Balrog, SDT teleport then do a RI..

I know on PC there's a mod which just lets you do it whenever, so I wonder if that same mod just makes SDT super weak to compensate.

I'm thinking about this stuff a lot currently as I've been kind of avoiding Dante due to not really enjoying him much, but now I'm burned out on Nero and starting to really get into Dante. I want to get to the point I can no damage Vergil but that fight is such hard work for Dante. Nero seems able to ignore most of the fight's mechanics in comparison

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the reason I was saying is that it seems like it impacted the design of Cerberus and Urizen, they are so tanky. Like they expect you to SSSS all the time.

Poor Cav just can't deal with it once you go SSSS on his ass though. He becomes very easy to bully once you work him out.

Tho tbf a Real Impact does as much damage as SDT. I find it easier a lot of the time to charge up Balrog, SDT teleport then do a RI..

I know on PC there's a mod which just lets you do it whenever, so I wonder if that same mod just makes SDT super weak to compensate.

I'm thinking about this stuff a lot currently as I've been kind of avoiding Dante due to not really enjoying him much, but now I'm burned out on Nero and starting to really get into Dante. I want to get to the point I can no damage Vergil but that fight is such hard work for Dante. Nero seems able to ignore most of the fight's mechanics in comparison
Honestly big bosses like that usually had me tricking up, air combo jump cancelling and rain storming around. If I hit a good streak I would stun them and get in a hot stuff or real impact

And yeah at first it was similar with me and Dante. I had to readjust my thinking so that I went into most encounters with a strategy in mind as opposed to Nero and V who I could be far looser with. But I love the breadth of things to do with Dante.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the tankiness of those two is balanced around using all of Dante's tools, i.e. not just SSSS but Red Hot Night as well.

Even Red Hot Night doesn't do as much damage as usual when they DT so that too has been accounted for.

And both bosses give you time to charge it up during transitions.

I S ranked both without using SSSS/RHN but if I were to play against them on DMD again I would definitely use one or both to speed up the fights during the tank phases.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah DMD difficulty, I really shouldn't have stopped playing you halfway through. I still suck, but I love this combat so much so I can't stay mad at myself. I can stay mad at myself for stopping on Mission fucking 12, the mission that I'm bloody awful at, and hey look at that Furi has doubled lol. I was doing... ok going into what I thought was the final cutscene only to be rudely reminded that Urizen is the boss for the stage. Oops. Ah well, onwards I suppose and I can't wait to see just how badly I do against the last two stages! (good thing I have my Golf Orb reserves nice and high.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished DMD mode. Yup, I suck. On the brighter side I replayed the final mission on SoS mode while refining my "technique" and came so damn close to doing a no damage run against Vergil in Mission 20 (no devil arms used). Kinda gutted, though hey S rank get at least! However, it cements my opinion that the boss fight is the best thing I've played all year, its so darn challenging, yet so rewarding when you learn it. Definitely my joint GOTY with RE2 this year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished DMD mode. Yup, I suck. On the brighter side I replayed the final mission on SoS mode while refining my "technique" and came so damn close to doing a no damage run against Vergil in Mission 20 (no devil arms used). Kinda gutted, though hey S rank get at least! However, it cements my opinion that the boss fight is the best thing I've played all year, its so darn challenging, yet so rewarding when you learn it. Definitely my joint GOTY with RE2 this year.

Congrats on finishing DMD!

It feels tough at first but it's pretty well balanced overall and soon enough you will be more concerned with high ranks than survival.

And agreed on Vergil, it's an amazing fight. There are so many ways to tackle and experiment with it with Dante alone, throw Nero into the mix and it's easily on of the best boss fights ever.

I'm still hoping that they add a new difficulty between SOS and DMD where they take DMD and just remove DT for enemies/bosses. That would be the best difficulty imo, the added challenge of DMD but without the tankiness.

That parry exhibition at the end, so good.

Whoever animated Nero's air boosting animation with Gerbera should get a raise.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its probably the enemy tankness that affects me the most in DMD mode, fights are fairly long and I'm prone to making mistakes! I'll stick to SoS mode - a nice gap for me between Hunter (too easy, enemies die to quick) and DMD (I suck at it), I loved the game more on my second run (on SoS) because I had the moves unlocked, a better Nero and just enough challenge to satisfy me.

Mar 5, 2019
This game has really solid gun sounds (especially blue rose) which is part of the reason why I've been using them more in this game. It also helps that gunslinger moves actually increase style a significant amount unlike 3 and 4.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It would be interesting to compare trophy and achievement percentages now that it's on GamePass. I know when a game like XCom 2 went on PS+, the percentage of payers who had finished the game on easy dropped from 20% down to 8%.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has really solid gun sounds (especially blue rose) which is part of the reason why I've been using them more in this game. It also helps that gunslinger moves actually increase style a significant amount unlike 3 and 4.

Ebony and Ivory in particular are perfect in DMC5 for building style while doing minimum damage (which goes hand in hand with the game's scoring system since you want to reserve doing big damage until you get to S rank or above for high scores).

You can just loop its various shot types.

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got all blue and purple orbs. It was really stupid because I missed a blue orb in one of the first missions and I was definitly sure that I had collected it. Now on to my dante must die playthrough. I noticed that I am really bad at boss battles. The normal fights are not so bad but I die at least one time at almost every boss. Got to work on that a lot.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got all blue and purple orbs. It was really stupid because I missed a blue orb in one of the first missions and I was definitly sure that I had collected it. Now on to my dante must die playthrough. I noticed that I am really bad at boss battles. The normal fights are not so bad but I die at least one time at almost every boss. Got to work on that a lot
I would recommend Alan Conqvist's guides on enemy and boss behavior, as well as weapon strategies. He covers most of the heavy hitters.