• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got all blue and purple orbs. It was really stupid because I missed a blue orb in one of the first missions and I was definitly sure that I had collected it.
I feel you pain there, had something similar with my final fragment. The game's lack of per-mission collectible tracking was baffling.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I don't want to promote TEPPEN and I don't even play that game but the new trailer for the card game expansion has a DMC5 theme and the song in the trailer is absolutely amazing. I thought some of you might like it. It took me some time to recognize it and now I can't stop listening to it.
Beware of the spoilery video because the whole plot of DMC5 gets spoiled.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Still mostly skimming this thread to avoid a lot of spoilers (outside of knowing Virgil is a thing) but I finished Mission 7 last night and goddamn is there so much to learn with Nero. I've S-ranked everything so far (good to know my old skills are still intact) even though I found it very very very easy to do so, but I just can't seem to get a hang of some of the arms. I will eventually go into the lab and experiment a lot before my second playthrough, just so I don't have to just learn on the fly.

Also not sure I like V yet. Fun change of pace for sure but it just makes me want to go back to Nero.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like that plus the post game main menu makes me hope for a time when Vergil is part of the main cast proper, if only for the interactions

Like Trish is a homunculus designed to look exactly like his mother and she and Vergil haven't interacted at all

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
If I was talking about what I would want from a hypothetical DMC 6 without accounting for the nitty gritty I'd probably say a split campaign made of teams like Vergil/Nero/Trish and Dante/Lady/New character and each group goes through 10 missions where you have the option of choosing between the three barring their own introductory missions.

As for the new character you could probably pick one of Dante's old arms and build a character around that lol. Maybe a character that just has Lucifer or something. Could be a reformed demon or a former Fortuna soldier maybe. Trish needs a new sword with Sparda gone so there's a new element (maybe give her a full Devil Trigger?) and Lady could get some gunslinger abilities that she didn't have in 4 and perhaps a new weapon in general.

The biggest hurdle to that would probably be balancing the bosses but I don't think that's too much of an issue if the game avoids scenarios like Gilgamesh that needs Nero's grim grips.

Something I think would be really an online mode where players can create a battle arena with a set goal and frame it like you're taking "contracts" from clients in Devil May Cry.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Still making my way through the story now (on Mission 12) and realized that while my Nero skills are intact by Dante skills are fucking trash now. The Devil Trigger is a way-too-easy crutch to make sure I can always keep my combos up but I just can't stop taking damage.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Still making my way through the story now (on Mission 12) and realized that while my Nero skills are intact by Dante skills are fucking trash now. The Devil Trigger is a way-too-easy crutch to make sure I can always keep my combos up but I just can't stop taking damage.
Dante can really knock you for a loop the first time you get your hands on him. My advice is to focus on getting in the air, staying in the air, and punishing any knock downs as much as possible. Learning jump canceling in the air is very important with him as it was in 4 (enemy step), upgrade trickster to get his trick moves, upgrade gunslinger to get rainstorm with E&I which is fully maneuverable in the air now, dance macabre is a good ground punish if you've got the space, and use his air taunt since it keeps him in the air and launches enemies. You've got to focus on controlling the space.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Dante can really knock you for a loop the first time you get your hands on him. My advice is to focus on getting in the air, staying in the air, and punishing any knock downs as much as possible. Learning jump canceling in the air is very important with him as it was in 4 (enemy step), upgrade trickster to get his trick moves, upgrade gunslinger to get rainstorm with E&I which is fully maneuverable in the air now, dance macabre is a good ground punish if you've got the space, and use his air taunt since it keeps him in the air and launches enemies. You've got to focus on controlling the space.

Yeah I think the big problem was I wanted to try out the upgraded style moves and thought I could survive without enemy step, forgetting how essential that can be to staying in the air indefinitely.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
EJButEGXsAEh_UT

DMC5 hair with DMC4 outfit works pretty well.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
How do people mod such high quality outfits like that anyway? Do they really model one from scratch?

Oct 29, 2017
Still mostly skimming this thread to avoid a lot of spoilers (outside of knowing Virgil is a thing) but I finished Mission 7 last night and goddamn is there so much to learn with Nero. I've S-ranked everything so far (good to know my old skills are still intact) even though I found it very very very easy to do so, but I just can't seem to get a hang of some of the arms. I will eventually go into the lab and experiment a lot before my second playthrough, just so I don't have to just learn on the fly.

Also not sure I like V yet. Fun change of pace for sure but it just makes me want to go back to Nero.

Make sure to put Griffon on a shoulder button, much easier to simultaneously attack/combo into

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the game and I just want to say that whoever made the decision to change split/helm breaker(dsd) to back+attack instead of forward is a dumbass. Like seriously, what the fuck.

Just put payline on back instead since that's the new move. And there's absolutely no reason to make it that way for dsd which doesn't even have a move on forward.

RIP my muscle memory, what a fucking struggle throughout the game, I don't think this will ever feel intuitive for me.

Now give me playable Vergil.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about V, is there supposed to be an easier, faster or more efficient way to get the panther to appear right in front of the enemy I want to attack, instead of me aiming at an enemy, pressing the attack button and the panther just whiffing the enemy instead?

Am I supposed to wait for the panther to run up close enough to the enemy before I press the attack button?

When I dodge, it looks like the panther dodges at the same time, which I am assuming is the proper way to get the panther to evade attacks in the first place

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
So I'm trying to pull of the "Shuffle" move and it mentions backstepping and I can't find in the move list.

How do you do it?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to pull of the "Shuffle" move and it mentions backstepping and I can't find in the move list.

How do you do it?
Shuffle is a Red Queen move so its under there.

The command input is R1 + Back, Forward + Triangle. It's a difficult input to perform starting out and this is a more advance move. The Shuffle makes you move backwards with invincibility frames and deliver an attack, the back step can be jump or dodge cancelled out of making it very good for repositioning.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about V, is there supposed to be an easier, faster or more efficient way to get the panther to appear right in front of the enemy I want to attack, instead of me aiming at an enemy, pressing the attack button and the panther just whiffing the enemy instead?

Am I supposed to wait for the panther to run up close enough to the enemy before I press the attack button?

When I dodge, it looks like the panther dodges at the same time, which I am assuming is the proper way to get the panther to evade attacks in the first place
Yes, V's side dodge will instantly bring Shadow close to you

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Shadow is whiffing before getting into range to attack then V might be too far from the enemy. Try getting V in closer.

Dodge calls Shadow to you and double jump calls Griffin. A quick dodge or double jump will let you quickly get them out of trouble.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If Shadow is whiffing before getting into range to attack then V might be too far from the enemy. Try getting V in closer.

Dodge calls Shadow to you and double jump calls Griffin. A quick dodge or double jump will let you quickly get them out of trouble.
And you can also call Griffin by back dodging.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, V's side dodge will instantly bring Shadow close to you

And you can also call Griffin by back dodging.
Word up

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Nico and V are very interesting characters, but half of the reason why is because they look like people that actually exist and not Anime characters made in a Soul Calibur 6 create-a-character mode.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
After avoiding playing this for like 3 months because I was up to yet another V mission (M9), I decided to have a go tonight, and I actually had a lot of fun with him for once. I'm still not really sure what I'm doing other than mashing triangle and alternating between Griffon's AoE charge and that one, R1+Forward I think, where he charges and shoots lightning bolts forward, before nuking stuff with Nightmare and getting SSS ranks, but it didn't feel awful for a change.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After avoiding playing this for like 3 months because I was up to yet another V mission (M9), I decided to have a go tonight, and I actually had a lot of fun with him for once. I'm still not really sure what I'm doing other than mashing triangle and alternating between Griffon's AoE charge and that one, R1+Forward I think, where he charges and shoots lightning bolts forward, before nuking stuff with Nightmare and getting SSS ranks, but it didn't feel awful for a change.

Approach them similar to Dante/Nero.

Shadow is the sword and Griffin is the gun.

Shadow has the Red Queen/Rebellion like combos, launcher, stinger like move, charge move etc.

Griffin can be charged like Blue Rose/Eboy & Ivory and has other moves ala Dante in Gunslinger.

Try using Gollum as a safety net as well, especially to get Shadow/Griffin out of a tough spot. His activation instantly revives them both if they KO.

And don't forget that you can charge Shadow/Griffin up with devil trigger meter to act on their own, either one or both at the same time. They become more powerful and are pretty aggressive (they ripped a boss apart on their own for me).

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Approach them similar to Dante/Nero.

Shadow is the sword and Griffin is the gun.

Shadow has the Red Queen/Rebellion like combos, launcher, stinger like move, charge move etc.

Griffin can be charged like Blue Rose/Eboy & Ivory and has other moves ala Dante in Gunslinger.

Try using Gollum as a safety net as well, especially to get Shadow/Griffin out of a tough spot. His activation instantly revives them both if they KO.

And don't forget that you can charge Shadow/Griffin up with devil trigger meter to act on their own, either one or both at the same time. They become more powerful and are pretty aggressive (they ripped a boss apart on their own for me).

Oh, I either didn't know or had forgotten that last point- thanks for that.
Yeah, I get the general idea of his playstyle, but I think it's just the disjointedness that gets me mixed up with what way I'm facing (is it based on my position or their's when it comes to attacks that require inputs?), and I always play default controls, but I tend to slip up alternating between tapping and holding square and triangle lol.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I either didn't know or had forgotten that last point- thanks for that.
Yeah, I get the general idea of his playstyle, but I think it's just the disjointedness that gets me mixed up with what way I'm facing (is it based on my position or their's when it comes to attacks that require inputs?), and I always play default controls, but I tend to slip up alternating between tapping and holding square and triangle lol.

The inputs are based on V's position.

I set my controls for V similar to Nero's where I have the gun on R2 so as to be able to charge it all times while attacking. With V I have Griffin assigned to R2.

You should definitely set the controls to be more comfortable for you for all three of Dante, Nero and V. It's a must for Nero and V.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a base PS4 and a PC, and while PC must be the superior version, how's base PS4 performance ? I'm asking because I think I'd rather play the game on my big TV if it's a stable 60fps compared to PC...thanks !

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ok got the game.

My first Devil May Cry game, well second if you count DmC.

Should I turn on auto-assist? I don't know whether I'm meant to or not...

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Ok got the game.

It makes it do combos automatically by mashing attack. You can toggle it at will so you can always turn it on later if you're having trouble.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ok maybe its just the prologue + 1st mission...

But damn, this ain't a good game as of yet. Controls seem convoluted for no reason, it switches to cutscenes literally whenever it gets the chance...

Anyways. Gonna try play some more tomorrow with a fresh mind.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok got the game.
Try not to. Doing the moves IS the game. Give it some time and practice. Also as Syril said you can turn it on by pressing and holding R3, even during a mission if you have to.
Get used to holding the lock-on button for most of the time (R1 by default), as it's mandatory for a lot of moves. Jump is how you evade (as long as you gain height you're invincible). Wire snatch is usually faster than running up to an enemy and you can use it in the air as well.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Ok maybe its just the prologue + 1st mission...

But damn, this ain't a good game as of yet. Controls seem convoluted for no reason, it switches to cutscenes literally whenever it gets the chance...

Anyways. Gonna try play some more tomorrow with a fresh mind.
You don't really have any moves by that point, so I'm curious what you found convoluted.

The cut scene rate is lower in future missions.