• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
You don't really have any moves by that point, so I'm curious what you found convoluted.

The cut scene rate is lower in future missions.

Yeh maybe that haha... I cant do jack shit yet and already such a simple task as launching an enemy in the air takes R1+back+ hold triangle.

Heck, even changing lock on is too annoying. Why not allow me to move R3, instead of click L3

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
That's a good point, I cant actually think of what r3 does. Lock on switching is really bad in 5 for some reason.

Actually I think r3 toggles auto on and off, which is really annoying in the middle of combos 😅

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh maybe that haha... I cant do jack shit yet and already such a simple task as launching an enemy in the air takes R1+back+ hold triangle.

Heck, even changing lock on is too annoying. Why not allow me to move R3, instead of click L3
Lock-on + attack button and a direction is a core part of DMC, and "simpler" inputs are going to be used for other moves. Personally it's something I got used to pretty quick. As for r3 that's camera control. If you feel more comfortable clicking r3 to change targets you can go into your settings and controls and change it to r3.
That's a good point, I cant actually think of what r3 does. Lock on switching is really bad in 5 for some reason.

Actually I think r3 toggles auto on and off, which is really annoying in the middle of combos 😅
r3 resets your camera, holding activates auto assist.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Lock-on + attack button and a direction is a core part of DMC, and "simpler" inputs are going to be used for other moves. Personally it's something I got used to pretty quick. As for r3 that's camera control. If you feel more comfortable clicking r3 to change targets you can go into your settings and controls and change it to r3.

r3 resets your camera, holding activates auto assist.

Nah that's fair. It's a matter of getting used to, I just finished Jedi fallen order haha.

However what you are saying doesn't make sense to me, and pardon me if I'm wrong:

R3 is camera control. Fine, I get that. However there is no camera control during a lock on is there? Why not allow me to move R3 during lock on to switch enemy...

They can still keep the 'click R3' that way..

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget that you can use The Void to practice your moves. Everyone's movesets get pretty gigantic as the game goes on so it's useful. You can also try moves in it before buying them.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Nah that's fair. It's a matter of getting used to, I just finished Jedi fallen order haha.

However what you are saying doesn't make sense to me, and pardon me if I'm wrong:

R3 is camera control. Fine, I get that. However there is no camera control during a lock on is there? Why not allow me to move R3 during lock on to switch enemy...

Yes, that can be a bit clunky. DMC has always been a combat system that encourages you to isolate enemies instead of switching around a group, so instead of holding down the target button, you press it when you are focused on one enemy. When you aren't targeting you move the left stick towards the enemy you want then target.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came across an awesome no damage run of bloody palace, very impressive and super efficient play.

Excellent crowd control.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt Dante had issues in 4 with this (other than DT stinger), but Nero didn't, and both in this game can crow control pretty easy. They must not be learning the crowd control attacks.

Yeah the problem for Dante in 4 was that all the enemies were built around Nero. It was so easy to beast with him compared to Dante.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
So good, Nero is such a beast.

And people in another thread were saying that DMC5 has crowd control issues, pfft.
Between Mad Hatter/Hat Trick for Dante, Double snatch and various devil Breakers for Nero, and hedgehog/round robin and royal fork for V, 5 might have the strongest crowd control tools in the series.

Oct 28, 2017
Attempted my first Bloody Palace run with Dante. It was cut short by the chicken boss and her ridiculous hitbox during the stomping attack. I was at full health but got stuck between her and the wall stunlocked. She had actual 1 hp left. I'm so salty right now.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
this is my 1st game in the series, got it on gamepass

can you dodge in the air? Also, not a big fan of dodging with like 3 inputs, rb + direction of stick + button. I much prefer how bayo does it

Anyhow, what is the super of the first arm? (not overture), it seems like it sticks to enemies?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

can you dodge in the air? Also, not a big fan of dodging with like 3 inputs, rb + direction of stick + button. I much prefer how bayo does it

Anyhow, what is the super of the first arm? (not overture), it seems like it sticks to enemies?
If you taunt in midair you'll get an extra jump with invincibility frames.

Where you sick the arm to the enemy? It's a time bomb. You can shoot the enemy to blow it up.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017

Simply pressing jump has invincibility frames. So once you get air hike, which is essentially your double jump, that's essentially your air dodge. You can also taunt in mid air, which also has invincibility frames.

And overture is the first arm (the blue one). Its super is that it sticks to enemies as a time bomb that will eventually explode or you can make it explode by shooting whatever you stuck it to. If you have more than one that's more damage.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Honestly, I don't ever use Click L3 to change lock on targets.

You push the analog stick in the direction of the desired enemy you'd like to target, then hold R1.

Sometimes, if there are two enemies next to each other in that area - it might lock on to the one you don't want. Simply let go of R1, and press it again and it'll lock on to the target you want. Also, if you want to lock on to a target in the air, simply jumping torwards that target then locking on is an easy way to influence the lock on in that direction.

And lastly, whoever you lock on to - is whoever you fuck up. You don't need to juggle enemy health in any given encounter. You lock on, you fuck it up. You kill it. Then you move onto the next target. Offense is your best defense in DMC5. Managing or worrying about which specific target you want to hit is not what you should be concerned about in DMC games. And by the time you sit there trying to switch lock on targets, you would have killed that enemy already to begin with.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly, I don't ever use Click L3 to change lock on targets.

You push the analog stick in the direction of the desired enemy you'd like to target, then hold R1.

Sometimes, if there are two enemies next to each other in that area - it might lock on to the one you don't want. Simply let go of R1, and press it again and it'll lock on to the target you want. Also, if you want to lock on to a target in the air, simply jumping torwards that target then locking on is an easy way to influence the lock on in that direction.

And lastly, whoever you lock on to - is whoever you fuck up. You don't need to juggle enemy health in any given encounter. You lock on, you fuck it up. You kill it. Then you move onto the next target. Offense is your best defense in DMC5. Managing or worrying about which specific target you want to hit is not what you should be concerned about in DMC games. And by the time you sit there trying to switch lock on targets, you would have killed that enemy already to begin with.

Yeh I realised that quite early on. Kill and move on. However like you said , it doesn't always lock on to right target but your tips will come in handy for sure.

Booting the game up again :)

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeh I realised that quite early on. Kill and move on. However like you said , it doesn't always lock on to right target but your tips will come in handy for sure.

Booting the game up again :)

Also, watch other people play. Good videos on youtube, combo videos etc. That's how I learned back with DMC3. It opened my mind up really on things like 'what you should be doing' vs 'what you think you should be doing' etc.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Also, watch other people play. Good videos on youtube, combo videos etc. That's how I learned back with DMC3. It opened my mind up really on things like 'what you should be doing' vs 'what you think you should be doing' etc.

Haha sorry to let you down, but once the game is done I am done too. I don't do multiple playthroughs ever.

I just find it so hard to replay a game, if I know I got other games waiting for me instead.

Maybe I'll revisit it down the line again but for now, once I am done I'll be starting resident evil 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Haha sorry to let you down, but once the game is done I am done too. I don't do multiple playthroughs ever.

I just find it so hard to replay a game, if I know I got other games waiting for me instead.

Maybe I'll revisit it down the line again but for now, once I am done I'll be starting resident evil 2.

No that's fine. You can learn a lot in one single playthrough. It takes multiple playthroughs to master things, but for one playthrough you can do a lot of cool things.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Somewhat ironic given that RE2 is also a game you need to beat twice to actually finish.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
SSSS is busted on that boss. I havent seen the video but you can get him locked down for at least half the fight if you can maintain SSS.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
NCXeCjF.gif

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Somewhat ironic given that RE2 is also a game you need to beat twice to actually finish.

Hahaha yeh i knew about that, before getting it. But since the overall changes are not to missions in general , one playthrough will do.

Plus horror games are tiring dude! Keep you on edge all the time.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't have thought to try that but I figure if it's an input for Nero, you can knuckle it

Nero can attack normally with his whole arsenal while charging his gun while actively rev'ing his sword while holding up enemies as a shield while being able to attack with phantom knuckles throughout.

All at the same time.

Itsuno's team is just on another level.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Nero can attack normally with his whole arsenal while charging his gun while actively rev'ing his sword while holding up enemies as a shield while being able to attack with phantom knuckles throughout.

All at the same time.

I wish I could play 3 and 4 with Nero's full moveset.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017

All at the same time.

Don't forget his quirks from 4 like DT explosion with launch + invulnerability frames and summoned sword hangers still exist

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could play 3 and 4 with Nero's full moveset.

A DMC3 remake in RE engine would be a sight to behold.

Don't forget his quirks from 4 like DT explosion with launch + invulnerability frames and summoned sword hangers still exist

Yeah that's another great example of how many layers there are to his combat and tools.

In pretty much all other games out there it would just be an activation or power up but here there is so much more to it.

Invincibility, launcher, cancelling attack animations etc., and that's just with the activation animation.

And then of course there are all the devil breakers and how much depth and utilty there is to them.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's a pity you don't unlock it until the very end but I find Blue Rose charge shot to be an excellent air dodge.

Also when you get good at Max Act level 3 high roller is a crazy cool way to dodge bullshit.

Dodging is harder in these games, but it also is easier once you learn all the different properties skills have. A dedicated dodge for Nero would end up being redundant.

The only thing I think he's really missing is a Royal Guard equivalent. A few context sensitive buster grab counters and the sword parry isn't enough to make that up.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little confused here.
Is there any reason to still buy the deluxe edition (steam)? I thought it came with some neat extras, but it looks like they've been released for vanilla now too? Do I miss anything by buying the vanilla game? Because I'm thinking of finally picking this up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I think he's really missing is a Royal Guard equivalent. A few context sensitive buster grab counters and the sword parry isn't enough to make that up.

He has Gerbera for that, the ground attack is excellent for parrying.

Overture can be used for parrying as well. Knocking Goliath out of his leaping attack never gets old.

He can also parry while riding Punchline.

Then there's Shuffle and the excellent charge triangle leap move.

The dude is loaded with options.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I suppose I'm looking for something which doesn't have a DB dependency, given that equipping a DB for a certain function locks you out of others so is quite limiting.

I've used punchline for things like parrying projectiles.

The property that makes RG insane is that it blocks everything, not just select things. Even giant lasers with tons of active frames. I suppose it wouldn't be right to just give Nero something as powerful as that, but it's the one thing I miss when playing him. The other stuff (swordmaster, trickster, sdt etc) I can live without.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused here.
Is there any reason to still buy the deluxe edition (steam)? I thought it came with some neat extras, but it looks like they've been released for vanilla now too? Do I miss anything by buying the vanilla game? Because I'm thinking of finally picking this up.
Buying the deluxe edition saves you 7 bucks if you were to buy all the extras separately. Although it you wanted to pick and choose what you wanted and put in the base game I guess that wouldn't matter much. I guess it depends if you want all the extras.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Buying the deluxe edition saves you 7 bucks if you were to buy all the extras separately. Although it you wanted to pick and choose what you wanted and put in the base game I guess that wouldn't matter much. I guess it depends if you want all the extras.
Hey thanks for the reply. I dug a little deeper and it seems Capcom disabled all the dlc and the deluxe upgrade on Steam, meaning the only way to get the extra items is to buy the deluxe version. Unfortunately the cheapest it's currently at, and has been so far, is twice as much as regular version. ~$24 vs $13. My problem is that I have no idea if that's worth it, I might just be fine with vanilla.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Hey thanks for the reply. I dug a little deeper and it seems Capcom disabled all the dlc and the deluxe upgrade on Steam, meaning the only way to get the extra items is to buy the deluxe version. Unfortunately the cheapest it's currently at, and has been so far, is twice as much as regular version. ~$24 vs $13. My problem is that I have no idea if that's worth it, I might just be fine with vanilla.
Really? That's weird. Speaking honestly you'll probably be fine with vanilla. The DLC weapons are fine even if one has a really good move. The live action cutscenes are funny but honestly they're a one time novelty. And the bonus tracks are cool but again not essential. Just my opinion.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? That's weird. Speaking honestly you'll probably be fine with vanilla. The DLC weapons are fine even if one has a really good move. The live action cutscenes are funny but honestly they're a one time novelty. And the bonus tracks are cool but again not essential. Just my opinion.

Honestly I still can't believe they made that move DLC exclusive.

It's the equivalent of making Stinger/Streak a DLC move.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh ok I'm liking this game a lot more now I'm getting the hang of some skills...

I kinda enjoy playing as V, I thought the general consensus was not that favourable.

Oh well, chapter 6 now. Back to Nero. Look forward to playing with him again since I feel more comfortable with the controls.

Unfortunately couldn't change the difficulty mid-game I realised, so I'll just be stuck with it..

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone found any good uses for Dante's shotgun?

The dodging attacks with the style button look pretty boss in action but overall it's my least used weapon of his.

In the beginning my most used gun was the double Kalina Ann but now it's mostly shifted to Ebony and Ivory, they are amazing at building style meter while doing low damage. Perfect for getting high scores.

Also started using more Faust, though in a contained kinda way since it's too powerful when used full force.

Just finished today. What a masterpiece 😎

Nice!

Finished yet another playthrough myself as well, the game is too good.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone found any good uses for Dante's shotgun?
Cut-in is my preferred way of getting around quick on the ground. Want to separate an enemy Gerbera style? use the shotgun

Fireworks is still crowd control, double for the air in times when I have multiple bats or Cerberus' electric shock

One of Nero's best aerial tactics is calibur followed by jump cancelling, keeping them from falling and moving forward simultaneously. Charged air fireworks can replicate this.

You will notice that charged shots keep them in the air longer than non charged shots, if only for a second. Dante's air taunt is used for a knock up and can be combined with a shotgun shot to pop them up and keep them up even longer

Basically, it's a knockback pop up machine

Last edited: