• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh I didn't notice that with Nico but yes it's a very leery game (haven't watched the cutscenes since initial playthrough)

WRT controls, the whole push the stick forward/backward/back&forward and press a face button while switching styles is kind of the only way they can squeeze so many skills onto a single character.

Well, it probably isn't the only way. But any alternative would still introduce a lot of complexity or involve making some cuts here and there (eg, the one people mentioned about mapping styles to triggers would take away the ability to charge attacks while doing style stuff)

When she bends over for no reason whatsoever. And the camera zooms in oh so slightly onto her lower back.

I'm not the person to call shit like that out, but it felt so unnecessary.
She could use a little longer clothes, but at least she's fine in the usual cutscenes. If you look at the other women and the fact, that they even found a way to put shower scenes into the game - Nico got lucky. -_-

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the combat has a lot of potential, and tbf I managed to get the hang of the combos I had unlocked by the end of the game. But I genuinely think the controls are just silly complicated for no reason.
As far as Dante's kit is concerned, there's a reason for everything. Most of the time that reason's making sure that 150+ individual moves/combos are always reasonably accessible without cutting major grandfathered systems, but there's also a lot of shitty scenarios that never have an opportunity to come up since they're gated behind a style switch in the first place (See: Just about every Gunslinger move*).

That said, if overly complex controls were your big hang-up and you're otherwise still interested in the franchise, give DmC or DMC3 a go.
On the DmC side, it cuts a ton of systems and series staples that you probably wouldn't miss for a more streamlined controller layout. Royal Guard and Swordmaster are gone to make room for stances toggled by a held trigger input to jump between two weapons which also change the properties of a lot of Dante's utility skills. D-Pad's still used a lot to switch which firearm you have out and which weapon gets equipped when you go into a stance, but you can coast pretty hard on just rocking Osirus and either Eryx/Arbiter for most of the game.

On the DMC3 side, Dante's locked to one style and two firearms/two melee weapons that don't have particularly deep movesets because of technical limitations at the time. Be a better jumping in point than the insanity that's DMC5 Dante.

Dante's Ivory Shoot command in Gunslinger can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
That said, if overly complex controls were your big hang-up and you're otherwise still interested in the franchise, give DmC or DMC3 a go.

I have played DmC! Really loved that game.

I can see what makes DMC V so good, and I was able to pull of nice combos here and there. But at the same time, it reminds me quite a bit of fighter games. Where you have got to memorize and chain attacks together. Some, which are hard to pull off (such as the back and forth ones) but in the right hands look masterful indeed.

Maybe my playthrough would have been more enjoyable as well if the game unlocked skills at a better pace. Especially at the start it feels so limiting, and quite honestly a shit mash m up.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Spent like 15 gold orbs to complete mission 15 to 19 on Dante must die. Man I suck at this game. Especially that Cerberus cost like 5 gold orbs. Sometimes I don't even know what is going on at the screen but it is fun nonetheless. I wish the controls would be more easy.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Controls just takes practice, can't really complain about them since I've been playing since 1. My only main issue is Nero having so many hold inputs.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the DMC3 side, Dante's locked to one style and two firearms/two melee weapons that don't have particularly deep movesets because of technical limitations at the time. Be a better jumping in point than the insanity that's DMC5 Dante.

Not sure why someone would need to go to DMC3 for that since you can just limit your loadout and stay in one style in DMC5 if you want.

That's the great thing about Dante in DMC5, he can be as straightfoward or as complex as you want him to be. He's a beast even if you stick to just one or two weapons.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why someone would need to go to DMC3 for that since you can just limit your loadout and stay in one style in DMC5 if you want.
It's not that complicated. Because 1.) Simpler weapons/universal systems to deal with and 2.) They've played DMC5. I'm pretty sure they'd be aware they can limit their own loadout if they beat the game with Dante. Instead I'm suggesting the much easier to control (And good) Itsuno-era games in the franchise because they may be able to get invested into the franchise easier with those games and transfer that enthusiasm back to DMC5 when he feels up for it.

That leaves 3 and DmC because I'm not going to recommend more style switching and a mandatory three-weapon toggle single button toggle right away.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that complicated. Because 1.) Simpler weapons/universal systems to deal with and 2.) They've played DMC5. I'm pretty sure they'd be aware they can limit their own loadout if they beat the game with Dante. Instead I'm suggesting the much easier to control (And good) Itsuno-era games in the franchise because they may be able to get invested into the franchise easier with those games and transfer that enthusiasm back to DMC5 when he feels up for it.

That leaves 3 and DmC because I'm not going to recommend more style switching and a mandatory three-weapon toggle single button toggle right away.

If they want more DMC then sure, DMC3 is fantastic.

If they want something less complicated then it won't be much different with DMC3, especially since the game is harder. 4 had mandatory loadouts for Dante, 5 doesn't. Complexity is optional. Control is pretty much the same.

DMC is a fighting game in action game form so he got that part right. Motions are much, much easier than fighting games though. Back-Forward is probably the most complicated motion in DMC5 for the most part, and that is pretty much all that needs to be said. Aside from that there's just V's fork etc.

Last edited:

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Honestly I can see where they are coming from with DMC5 inconsistent lock-on system, very frustrating when it lock-ons to the furthest enemy sometimes rather than the one you are comboing.

Something that should not have been an issue since previous games did it so well.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of post release support/fixes has been surprising.

Lock-on should have been addressed months ago. The problem missions for S ranking like 10, 18 etc. should have already been adjusted as well.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the mission 20 boss on dmd without a single gold orb. Holy shit that feels soo good.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Lock on is really bad. It makes Dante really hard to enjoy when fighting regular enemies.

One thing I've learned about SDT is it's way better than trickster if you can maintain SSS 😎

The teleport move is infinite iframe basically

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Opinions if I may? Is there any reason to go with console (PS4 Pro) over PC? I have chiseled an opening in my backlog finally and really want to dive in

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Console has no real advantage I'm aware of. I play on PS4 Pro, it handles itself ok but once you unlock more skills and there's fireworks everywhere it's not rare that things can be a little framey.

PC has mods but mostly that's for repeated playthroughs.

Let's celebrate!

tumblr_inline_pek7yyRNJp1tynx5s_1280.gifv

s y

Nov 8, 2017
how does itsuno expect me to s rank these dante and v missions on hell and hell difficult ;_;.

Random thought time:
We don't see Vergil slicking his hair back even once.
He could have been resurrected with his hair down Dante style, turns around to the group, picks up the book and then does his famous hair thing.
Or wait even a little longer: He keeps it down until he's on the top of the tree and slicks it back just before sitting down on his throne as a sign, that Vergil is now fully back.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya there are a ton of little things I wish was in DMCV. As much as I want it to be a flawless tour de force, it is missing little things here and there that let DMC3 edge out as an action rollercoaster. DMCV is the better game and I love it a ton but DMC3 is just the better "spectacle" rollercoaster with a bit better pacing. Splitting the game across 3 characters is part of it but there's also smaller parts like what you said where even tiny fun moments aren't quite as there (No Vergil hair flip).

They make up for it in different ways like the best Dante emote of all time of all time, but it's frustrating to have Lady and Trish kinda thrown to the side (literally) or the final battle with Dante having kinda bummer music. Silver Bullet is fucking *chef's kiss* so the finale is *clearly* meant to be Nero's but it is still kinda a bummer that that last Dante v Vergil fight has such unmemorable bland music.

Especially when Black Voltaic Knight is fucking *SICK AS HELL*

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on my heaven or hell playthrough with watching all the cutscenes. This is the first I watch them since my initial playthrough. I have to say I like every scene with Nico because she is a really cool character. I wish lady and Trish would get that much love.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how to deliberately switch between kick Balrog and punch Balrog, seems to happen at random.

Currently on my heaven or hell playthrough with watching all the cutscenes. This is the first I watch them since my initial playthrough. I have to say I like every scene with Nico because she is a really cool character. I wish lady and Trish would get that much love.
Yeah, Nico is fun. "Up your butt?" gets me every time. XD
Griffon's funnier, tho. "Are you out of your mind? There's a demon to destroy! Kill yourself later, I'll help!"

But despite all the fun, we shouldn't forget their biggest crime:
LET ME PET SHADOW! D:

Oct 25, 2017
Uncivilized Elk did you see that attachment thing that gives back paddles to the DS4? That could potentially solve your issue!

I worry about battery time, though.

Btw, I don't know if it's just because I'm getting worse at these games, but Hell and Hell in this game is just so much fun to me. Possibly my favorite difficulty. Always saw it as just a gimmicky difficulty that I'd do once and then go back to DMD, but here I'm having a blast. It feels like the perfect balance for my skill level.

Jun 22, 2019
Uncivilized Elk did you see that attachment thing that gives back paddles to the DS4? That could potentially solve your issue!

Googled it, and that might indeed help! I would want to testrun it before I sink in a rather substantial amount of money for what is a relatively minor attachment that shouldn't need to exist if the controller was designed better in the first place. Also I don't think I'd even use it for any game besides this one, and I've gotten most of my fill already, so it just might not be worth it.

Btw on an earlier topic, the framing on how Nico is set up in the van during customization is definitely skeezy as hell. Jumped out at me immediately. This game uses women as window dressing so fucking much and that definitely soured my experience. Kyrie being hilariously off-screened the whole game is probably for the best since they would've found some weird way and creepy way for her to be oggled as well of she had a character model.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Btw on an earlier topic, the framing on how Nico is set up in the van during customization is definitely skeezy as hell. Jumped out at me immediately. This game uses women as window dressing so fucking much and that definitely soured my experience. Kyrie being hilariously off-screened the whole game is probably for the best since they would've found some weird way and creepy way for her to be oggled as well of she had a character model.
It's very unnecessary, the worst part of it all is that Nico is a great character, her unique personality was pretty much enough for me. Add in the great facial motion capture and she's really interesting. She is not sexually appealing, give her a shirt to wear and take out the objectification.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still fucking pissed off at how Lady was portrayed in this game. ONE OF THE MAIN MENU SCREENS IS HER LEANING OUT OF THE SHOWER JFC CAPCOM

Jun 22, 2019
Sexualization aside, the whole "check out our quirky van vibe" thing felt very at odds with the atmosphere of the game as a whole for me.

Like I dig the mood and music, but wow did it feel like it belonged in a different game altogether. Seemed like they were almost going for that laid-back Persona vibe when you stroll around town or something.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
She could use a little longer clothes, but at least she's fine in the usual cutscenes. If you look at the other women and the fact, that they even found a way to put shower scenes into the game - Nico got lucky. -_-
Nico's outfit mostly fits her as she's a redneck....so she dresses like a Redneck. The exploitative camera during the shop camera was noticeable. That combined with the menu scene leering does make this game a bit uncomfortable at points.

"Why are all the girls constantly peaking out of the shower?"

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I don't know if it's just because I'm getting worse at these games, but Hell and Hell in this game is just so much fun to me. Possibly my favorite difficulty. Always saw it as just a gimmicky difficulty that I'd do once and then go back to DMD, but here I'm having a blast. It feels like the perfect balance for my skill level.

Iirc H&H is SOS difficulty but with 3 lives, no checkpoints/continues etc.

So should you just want that difficulty but without the H&H quirks then you can play SOS.

I'm still fucking pissed off at how Lady was portrayed in this game. ONE OF THE MAIN MENU SCREENS IS HER LEANING OUT OF THE SHOWER JFC CAPCOM
A shower. In the van. It's fucking amazing how they bend themselves to squeeze that shit in.

And some are still sad about Lucia not being in the game. She dodged a bullet.
Kyrie being hilariously off-screened the whole game is probably for the best since they would've found some weird way and creepy way for her to be oggled as well of she had a character model.
I'd say, they found another way to compromise her a bit.
This may be a bit Halo Reach, but bear with me for a sec, you might see where I'm coming from.
In general, Nero and Kyrie seem like the perfect lovey dovey couple. Especially Kyrie is always described as an angel and adored by everyone.
Then we have that scene, where Nero finds Lady, and Nico makes fun of him, like he was betraying his girlfriend. While we all may agree that this is ridiculous.
But at the very end, Nero still mutters: "Kyrie would kill me right now."
While this is supposed to be funny, it portrays her as exorbitant jealouse, especially since Nero is always portrayed as super reliable. Sheds a strange light on her.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my heaven or hell playthrough and it was mostly watching cutscenes which I enjoyed for the most part. Now on to bloody palace, S ranking missions and of course hell and hell difficulty.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Balrog is even more awesome than I already thought, TIL how amazing it is for dizzying enemies (in punch mode).

I'm pretty much using it in a whole new way now. Instead of mostly doing a variety of kick/punch attacks and building towards real impact, I'm now bobbing and weaving my way with specific attacks to build stun towards a dizzy. Now it actually looks and feels like I'm playing a boxer, rather than another version of Gilgamesh etc.

There is a satisfying visual burst effect to the dizzy too and the enemy gets a visual effect on their head for the duration.

Once dizzy the enemy gets their stuff disable. Like Hell Antonera no longer does the super armor thing after it gets knocked down, Judecca lets you Real Impact+Cascade it for a free win, Baphomet no longer teleports and easily goes down with Real Impact. You can even get a dizzy loop going on Proto Angelo. Especially great on DMD since it lets you bypass the increased poise they get when they DT.

If you power up via DSD before switching to Balrog then hold on to your pants. Stun city.

Also love the dempsey roll dodge, so damn satisfying. The bobbing/weaving and counter hits definitely feel like God Hand. So fun against the Cerberus boss.

EDIT: Okay yeah Nobody, Fury etc. all get owned by this too and you can pretty much lock down Queen Empusa with back to back dizzies.

The interesting thing is that there doesn't seem to be a stun threshold increase after you dizzy the enemy (unless the enemy DTs but even then you can still dizzy them no problem) so you can keep going for it.

DT/DSD and Ignition really power up stun build up and dempsey roll counters are brutal. Aiming for the head seems to help as well (the air combo and style attack are very useful for this against standing enemies).

Last edited: