• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
Just bought 5 for PS4 and am really enjoying it. Should I bother with the other games? I've only played 1 many moons ago on the PS2.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Just bought 5 for PS4 and am really enjoying it. Should I bother with the other games? I've only played 1 many moons ago on the PS2.

Priority in terms of quality:

DMC3
DMC4 (choose automatic off, play on devil hunter, and turn Turbo mode on in the options) - the last third of this game is flawed though. Dumb puzzles, and backtracking.
DmC

and you should be good. DMC2 is not good and adds nothing to the franchise. And you already played DMC1

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been putting the Dempsey roll to work and it's turning into one of my fave dodges in any action game.

-Cancels into itself infinitely(?), so you can keep a (complete?) window of invincibility going as long as you want (with a super satisfying just frame slow-mo)

-Seems to work well in tandem with Trickster dodge (making it look like Dante is doing a double dash/dodge) and Air/Ground Trick and also with Royal Guard (kinda like you could parry cancel the dodge roll in DMC3).

-The spot dodge version acts like an option select. Since you jab and then hold the button for the spot Dempsey, the jab acts as a parry and if it whiffs (or an attack can't be parried) then Dante immediately goes into the spot dodge Dempsey (which has full body invincibility and can be further canceled into the side version etc.). So you either get a parry with the jab or a dodge if the jab fails.

-You get a high impact parry if you clash with an enemy attack using a Dempsey roll punch, seems to generate stun/dizzy (unlike a normal parry with another weapon).

The animation just looks so satisfying and you basically keep circling/dodging the enemy while quickly punching them into a dizzy. So good.

Last edited:
Happy Festivus!
Who's been naughty this year?

attachment.php

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Christmas present to all, Vergil mod for DMC5 has been fixed more so he's sort of playable now! Kudos to someone fixing something's with Vergil, might need to try this mod now..

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
"Hmm, Devil Sword Dante is cool and all, but I miss Prop/Shredder and Aerial Rave..."

*goes to The Void, sees the former are integrated into a third sword combo*

"Oh..."

*plays some more and sees switching to Swordmaster isn't necessary anymore for Aerial Rave, allowing any style to use it*

"OHHH..." :)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hmm, Devil Sword Dante is cool and all, but I miss Prop/Shredder and Aerial Rave..."

"Oh..."

*plays some more and sees switching to Swordmaster isn't necessary anymore for Aerial Rave, allowing any style to use it*

Wait till you see the rest of what it can do.

DSD is amazing.

How do I rev while attacking?

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

"Oh..."

That's the moment where I went from "BOY RE2 and DMC5 are neck in neck for my GOTY" to "DMC5 IS GOAT"

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

"Oh..."

Next time you're in SIN DT, press Shoot Button + Melee Button at the same time. This isn't a move you purchase or upgrade, so a lot of people don't know you can do it.

In fact, I think you should check out the skill list (in pause menu) for Devil Sword Dante and SIn DT

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till you see the rest of what it can do.

DSD is amazing.
That's the moment where I went from "BOY RE2 and DMC5 are neck in neck for my GOTY" to "DMC5 IS GOAT"
Next time you're in SIN DT, press Shoot Button + Melee Button at the same time. This isn't a move you purchase or upgrade, so a lot of people don't know you can do it.

In fact, I think you should check out the skill list (in pause menu) for Devil Sword Dante and SIn DT
It has been quite fun to see.

Found out about that Sin DT move after looking it up while in the Void. Wish I knew about it while playing the mission, would've given it a try during that boss fight. Plenty of time to enjoy all of this new stuff on replays of course, though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely can't wait for Itsuno's next project, no doubt its going to be fantastic whether it be another DMC, Dragons Dogma, or something new (or, you know Capcom Vs SNK 3 in my own dream world)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max Dood would lose his shit if Itsuno returned to fighting games.

Who cares about Max losing his shit lol.

It would be such a great thing to see someone who went on to make some of the greatest action games of all time to return to the genre where he spent most of his early years and to see what he can bring to it now.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"Itsuno-san says he's convinced, that this is the greatest fighting game he has ever made. It will exceed all your expectations." - Matt Walker, probably

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared my first run through the game tonight, best one since DMC3 (arguably better given how much annoyances pertaining to level design and backtracking are at the lowest they've ever been). I wouldn't know for certain, but I'm under the impression that Buster Arm Devil Breakers no longer serve a purpose by this point.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared my first run through the game tonight, best one since DMC3 (arguably better given how much annoyances pertaining to level design and backtracking are at the lowest they've ever been). I wouldn't know for certain, but I'm under the impression that Buster Arm Devil Breakers no longer serve a purpose by this point.

They are one of the best breakers.

Go to the void and compare the Buster breaker's damage output to the bringer grab.

Normal Buster breaker grab = 2x the damage of a bringer grab
Buster breakage = 20x the damage of a bringer grab

The breakage pretty much kills any non-boss enemy in the game, even on DMD. And does a lot of damage on bosses.

Also, the Buster Breaker allows you to use grabs while using the bringer's Aegis to hold up enemies as a shield.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, very interesting. Thanks, will definitely keep all of that in mind and be sure to still have loadouts that account for it.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, V is cool and everything but I would be a dirty fucking liar if I said that I wouldn't prefer to play through the entire game while skipping his sections.

Mar 5, 2019
Kind of a random thought/question for those that have dug into every single nuance of the game, but did the developers make the enemy AI more exploitable by giving the player full camera control since they aren't supposed to attack off camera?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a random thought/question for those that have dug into every single nuance of the game, but did the developers make the enemy AI more exploitable by giving the player full camera control since they aren't supposed to attack off camera?
Has been a feature of action games since like Ninja Gaiden. This is so that enemies don't attack you from off screen which can feel unfair or bull shit to the average player. DMC1 was notorious for off screen attacks because of its fixed camera.

However, developers should at least have enemies try to get within the camera range and then attack.. many DMC5 enemies don't even want to do that much.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
However, developers should at least have enemies try to get within the camera range and then attack.. many DMC5 enemies don't even want to do that much.
I do recall feeling like 3&4's enemies tried a bit more in that regard. Isolating an enemy felt more like a temporary strategy where as in 5 I feel like I can drain down a whole health bar if I get an enemy in a corner.

I think the issue is that 5 has more enemies whose movement is tied to their attacks, like the Chaos.