• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Blow mode Balrog and Trickster totally wipes away the mission 11 boss in SOS. The recovery animation for a parry is so wide that I didn't even sweat charging a real impact.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
ysBSD8l.gif
Keep em coming, these are amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I definitely think there should be a "harder Devil Hunter" difficulty. The way you can unlock Son of Sparda in the prologue is REALLY neat, I honestly love when games do this, but I want to experience the regular enemy placements and the reveal pacing intended for a first playthrough, I don't want the Son of Sparda enemies for my first time around.

Should be a blast for a future playthrough, though, just backing up my save, deleting it and starting on Son of Sparda. Pretty sure Yoshichan played like this the first time around, must have been tough.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, when it says "starring" and a players name that means there's someone else in that area? Can you interact with them?

I've seen a couple of names and I was even asked to rate someone at the end of mission 2 but I haven't seen anyone.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best parry move in Dante's arsenal (not Royal guard)?
I use Shredder but I heard Balrog's punch might be better?

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the in game description helps do that justice either. If it wasn't for your gifs I wouldn't even know that move has combat utility, but I've been using it more now.
Yea Vs descriptions are rather poor.
  • Round robin shows you doing round robin on enemies, without telling you how to actually do that part
  • Gambit chain doesnt tell you when to press the button
  • Directionals should be explained more clearly
  • Royal fork is 100% essential to his kit, but it is described as an AOE finisher. It is a AOE CC + damage tool.
  • The most helpful advice is on loading screens....
------------------------------

The game could use damage numbers for V, since its very hard to learn the damage of AoE attacks visually
  • Shadow combo A on grounded enemies does x damage
  • Shadow combo B does 3x~ damage
  • Shadow combo C does 3x~ damage
  • Skewer does 3x~ damage
  • Other moves do about x damage
So if you are button mashing you are doing significantly less damage, and also losing out on the CC benefits of alternative moves

As for griffon
  • Blockade spam does terrible damage, but it is good for aoe CC.
  • Double check can do over twice the damage of a blockade
  • Flank attack does similar damage to a level 2 blockade, yet you can do it instantly....also a launcher
  • Round robin does terrible damage, but is a good tool to reposition lil chicky and protect yourself.
And nightmare
  • Summoning him is a knockback/counter
  • He can be used to knock enemies out of moves like geryons ultimate (By summoning him on top of them or combo A)
  • If you micro him - You should dodge/move around using illegal move, never by walking. He is suppose control like a tank
  • When you summon him and dont micro focus on crowd control so he can do his stuff.

At this point I realize i've written a brief breakdown on V, instead of a reply..oops.
TLDR: Use CC+powerful moves instead of mashing/holding charge shot

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think they saw how well monster hunter world did being so easy when it released, they tried the same with dmc
If you have seen how the regular player plays DMC games on twitch then you know why they did it.

A lot of them instead of buying moves would hoard up vital stars to just brute force bosses in DMC3/DMC4 rather than learning the bosses. Some of them would give up at the initial few bosses because they might be too hard. And none of them are trying to learn the mechanics, they are just trying to mash without using lock on to just muscle their way through.

So Capcom just made it easier for people like them to progress through the game seamlessly. Let them buy out the moves and maybe try them out or get them out accidentally as opposed to spending them on red orbs. Let them revive on the spot so they can keep the action flowing and have no down time.

It's an unenviable position to be in for Capcom but IMO they should have had one extra difficulty in between SoS mode and Devil Hunter mode. A "normal" mode that is more in line with something like DMC3 where you are reasonably challenged. 90% of players are never going to even try SoS especially the twitch streamers.

What's the best parry move in Dante's arsenal (not Royal guard)?
I use Shredder but I heard Balrog's punch might be better?
Just punching with Balrog does the trick too. Shredder works too but technically Ice Age of Cerberus is the best parry tool for Dante. Completely 360 degree active hit box around him that parries everything. That's the main function of that move.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, I definitely think there should be a "harder Devil Hunter" difficulty. The way you can unlock Son of Sparda in the prologue is REALLY neat, I honestly love when games do this, but I want to experience the regular enemy placements and the reveal pacing intended for a first playthrough, I don't want the Son of Sparda enemies for my first time around.

Should be a blast for a future playthrough, though, just backing up my save, deleting it and starting on Son of Sparda. Pretty sure Yoshichan played like this the first time around, must have been tough.
It was actually harder than DMD on progress mode. Having played SoS from scratch was definitely the most "DMC3" experience I've ever had in DMC5. It was glorious and hard as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Royal fork is 100% essential to his kit, but it is described as an AOE finisher. It is a AOE CC + damage tool.

It also just says it depletes your DT meter. I spent a long ass time avoiding that move thinking "why the hell would I want to spend my whole DT bar for an easy multi-enemy finisher? I can just chain that shit."

Only got it after watching one of your videos.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn. I guess that's true, I am just terrible with royal guard. Getting him down to about 50% health and then dying.

Are you using the jump parrying trick to make parrying easier in Royal Guard?

Man was just going to write my impressions since I just finished the game. But I pretty much agree with all your points. There is one more thing though, the difficulty. It's waaaaaay too easy, like unbelievable easy. Just replayed DMC 3 recently and got my ass kicked several times against cerberus. Only beating him by actually learning his patterns/attacks. In DMC 5 I just bruteforced my way through button mashing, barely learning any enemy patterns. Only at the last 2 missions I had to use multiple gold orbs, didn't die once through the whole game (except for these gold orbs, which I think should not even be in the game in the first place and they are way too easy to get). Got S ranks in almost half the missions without even trying. The fact that you can not increase the difficulty until you complete the game ruined the single great thing about this game which is the gameplay.
But yeah this and the insanely bland level design/environment really made this experience way less enjoyable.

Gotta love how you complain about difficulty and the moment you are presented with a challenge you resort to spamming gold orbs (which btw count as a death).

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add to this and say give V himself some of kind of trap setups. Like magic circles or some shit

V with traps would be awesome.

Juggle with Shadow and Griffon while setting a trap where the enemy will fall down, set another trap a bit away and have Shadow shoot the enemy with Skewer into the 2nd trap while you already had Griffon start the charge for his back attack at the location of the 2nd trap when you set that

Last edited:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting better with Dante...maybe. I haven't actually done anything outside of the Void and even there I drop these combos half the time but it sure beats my DMC4 Dante. It helps having a bread and butter. These are all basically the same combo.

Not sure how to use Cavaliere in combos since it's so slow.

Oct 26, 2017
You are an absolute magician with the camera angles and timing. That closeup for the tomboy activation is so good!

Combo Mad youtubers right now "How to make high quality gifs like SunhiLegend"

It also just says it depletes your DT meter. I spent a long ass time avoiding that move thinking "why the hell would I want to spend my whole DT bar for an easy multi-enemy finisher? I can just chain that shit."

Only got it after watching one of your videos.
Bang bang, wasted all my devil trigger~~~~~

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Beat SoS. Got the dynamic style music for the final boss too. I'm glad that they turned it into an actual fight for this difficulty, it's damn fun.

Maaaaaybe I'll take a look at DmD but everything I hear makes it sound like that's not my thing. Will probs grab all the blue orbs and stuff first. I've still got a bunch of moves to buy too.

Can not wait for Bloody Palace.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting better with Dante...maybe. I haven't actually done anything outside of the Void and even there I drop these combos half the time but it sure beats my DMC4 Dante. It helps having a bread and butter. These are all basically the same combo.

Not sure how to use Cavaliere in combos since it's so slow.
I see the use of those mods! Red color jacket and prologue Dante. The combos are nice too.

Shame that Capcom didn't put stuff like this in the game themselves. Would have taken them like a day to put it in.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I just got the Dr.Faust weapon, I assume I can use it to farm red orbs. That being said, is there a great location to farm red orbs lol?

On another note, does it matter story wise which character you play as when you can choose?

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the use of those mods! Red color jacket and prologue Dante. The combos are nice too.

Shame that Capcom didn't put stuff like this in the game themselves. Would have taken them like a day to put it in.

No mods lol. It's dirty old June 15th Dante. Maybe it's the quality. I'd love to be able to use clean cut Dante.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Dr.Faust weapon, I assume I can use it to farm red orbs. That being said, is there a great location to farm red orbs lol?

On another note, does it matter story wise which character you play as when you can choose?
Mission 13 is the best spot as it keeps spawning enemies for you to kill and farm off of. No impact to story if you choose different characters, just altered locations in the area.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
V with traps would be awesome.

Juggle with Shadow and Griffon while setting a trap where the enemy will fall down, set another trap a bit away and have Shadow shoot the enemy with Skewer into the 2nd trap while you already had Griffon start the charge for his back attack at the location of the 2nd trap when you set that
Just as you've got certain major mechanics that get added to Nero and Dante for a second playthrough, I would have loved to see V get the full
summoned swords
moveset after your first playthrough. I feel like it'd be safe to map reading the book to the dpad and figure out an appropriate place to stick that set of attacks, and they'd fit in fairly well with V's existing toolkit in my opinion.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I started the game on "Human" because I generally don't play DMC games (but I do play other character action games). And man...that difficulty is VERY easy. I don't think I've gotten more than one or two life pips taken off.

Still very fun to play though.

Oct 29, 2017
Using V with griffon on L2 and shadow on triangle changed everything. Now I cam actually reliably do some cool fucking combos with him

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I started the game on "Human" because I generally don't play DMC games (but I do play other character action games). And man...that difficulty is VERY easy. I don't think I've gotten more than one or two life pips taken off.

Still very fun to play though.
If you play other action games then you should start with Devil Hunter. This is easier than most other action games out there.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Going to try reinstalling. It's not the Xbox. Other games are fine. Always seems tied to cutscenes. Audio cuts, then comes back and is desynced by like a second.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game keeps matching me with this "Vergil's Ass" guy when I play Mission 2 lol.

LCbczpp.png

Is it just loading a replay of some sort? Bit strange if were always coincidentally playing the same mission at the same time.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it and enjoyed it! But I have a few questions

okay so it's revealed v is part of virgil but why did he cut himself in two in the first place? What was the point? Also does this mean they are now stuck in hell forever? And I find it weird how virgil doesnt seem to care about nero at all and I guess he next game will explain who his mother will be.u liked the game but I felt kinda lost at times.

Oct 25, 2017
This game keeps matching me with this "Vergil's Ass" guy when I play Mission 2 lol.

LCbczpp.png

Is it just loading a replay of some sort? Bit strange if were always coincidentally playing the same mission at the same time.
Yeah, it can also load player data if it doesn't find someone to actually play. You can even be matched with your own data if you play offline, so you can watch your own combos from a distance. It's cool that it matches your Nero Prologue on a second run with your first Dante vs Urizen fight from halfway through the game.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing.

Did you make some Nero clips with the NG+ mechanics? I'd love to see them.
Nah, haven't played around with that stuff too much apart from playing through the game of course, haven't practised combos in the void using that stuff, mainly because I was just keeping my GIFs spoiler free since I post them on twitter as well, but I'll probably start soon.

You are an absolute magician with the camera angles and timing. That closeup for the tomboy activation is so good!
XD thanks. Other games the reason why it might take some time to make a GIF is mainly due to getting the right camera angles and framing, here it's a little harder since half the time is spent actually trying to pull of a combo while trying to capture nice angles, it's not like the combos are that complex either, just get's a little crazy mashing the buttons while making sure to rotate the camera, like for instance here just had to make sure I rotate it in front of Nero when he activates Tomboy. :D

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

okay so it's revealed v is part of virgil but why did he cut himself in two in the first place? What was the point? Also does this mean they are now stuck in hell forever? And I find it weird how virgil doesnt seem to care about nero at all and I guess he next game will explain who his mother will be.u liked the game but I felt kinda lost at times.

Because
Vergil's humanity is what thought to be holding him back to get true power and in one of the novels a portal always randomly appear and that's how Dante came back after DMC2.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017

He thought his human half was holding him back and making him weak. He was fighting against it and used the Yamato to split himself in two but then to his surprise "He" was his human half after all. So then the plan was to stop his demon half from gaining any more power and use Dante and Nero to get back to it so he could be whole again and on the way he realizes how important his humanity is and when he reforms he's better off for it.

They are probably not stuck in hell forever. I'm sure they'll be out soon.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I have not even once been given a Stylish rating by another player (and I hammer that button at the end of ever chapter). Makes me wonder if my play data isn't being shown to others for some reason. I'm on a PS4.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's explicitly stated in the game, but at least my interpretation was that he thought his humanity was holding him back, and even physically corrupting him, so he split in order to let go of his weak side and be the perfect version of himself.

Except that, after the split, most of what makes him who he is is actually V, and Urizen is just a mindless power-driven monster. Still part of him, mind you, but the split is when he finally realizes what Dante knew for a long time, that the human side isn't a limitation, that it's an integral part of who he is and even his drive to get stronger. Urizen remembers he wants to beat Dante, but doesn't remember why they even have this rivalry. He has no recollection of their home or anything, Urizen is more of a sentiment than a personality.

But others feel like getting the tree and everything was all part of Vergil's plan. Which sort of makes sense, since Vergil doesn't care about the state of the world when he's back, but I personally just see it as him not giving a fuck, instead of being actively evil. He tried to stop it as V, but as Vergil he just doesn't care enough. He would probably stop it if he merged before, but since everything went to shit already, might as well just have another duel with Dante.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

LCbczpp.png

Its gotta be ghost data. I recently got that at M2 as well. Maybe data is sorted popularity?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's explicitly stated in the game, but at least my interpretation was that he thought his humanity was holding him back, and even physically corrupting him, so he split in order to let go of his weak side and be the perfect version of himself.

Except that, after the split, most of what makes him who he is is actually V, and Urizen is just a mindless power-driven monster. Still part of him, mind you, but the split is when he finally realizes what Dante knew for a long time, that the human side isn't a limitation, that it's an integral part of who he is and even his drive to get stronger. Urizen remembers he wants to beat Dante, but doesn't remember why they even have this rivalry. He has no recollection of their home or anything, Urizen is more of a sentiment than a personality.

But others feel like getting the tree and everything was all part of Vergil's plan. Which sort of makes sense, since Vergil doesn't care about the state of the world when he's back, but I personally just see it as him not giving a fuck, instead of being actively evil. He tried to stop it as V, but as Vergil he just doesn't care enough. He would probably stop it if he merged before, but since everything went to shit already, might as well just have another duel with Dante.
Thanks I was really confused at the end oF the game vergil is just sitting there and I was thinking does he want to take over the world? I didnt understand his motive and V that's part of vergil why was his body dying when the other side was fine still? And does it ever explain why he starts to use dark magic to control everything? Sorry for the questions just found the back story on what happened after the split could of been explained better.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks I was really confused at the end oF the game vergil is just sitting there and I was thinking does he want to take over the world? I didnt understand his motive and V that's part of vergil why was his body dying when the other side was fine still? And does it ever explain why he starts to use dark magic to control everything? Sorry for the questions just found the back story on what happened after the split could of been explained better.

Also worth noting, in one of the notes you can read in the Gallery, they make that William Blake book seem VERY precious to Vergil. He giving it to Nero is a pretty big deal to him, so I wouldn't say he doesn't care about Nero.

I think Urizen was fine because of the Qliphoth, he would probably disintegrate too if he wasn't "feeding" on blood.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Yea Vs descriptions are rather poor.
  • Round robin shows you doing round robin on enemies, without telling you how to actually do that part
  • Gambit chain doesnt tell you when to press the button
  • Directionals should be explained more clearly
  • Royal fork is 100% essential to his kit, but it is described as an AOE finisher. It is a AOE CC + damage tool.
  • The most helpful advice is on loading screens....

The game could use damage numbers for V, since its very hard to learn the damage of AoE attacks visually
  • Shadow combo A on grounded enemies does x damage
  • Shadow combo B does 3x~ damage
  • Shadow combo C does 3x~ damage
  • Skewer does 3x~ damage
  • Other moves do about x damage
So if you are button mashing you are doing significantly less damage, and also losing out on the CC benefits of alternative moves

As for griffon
  • Blockade spam does terrible damage, but it is good for aoe CC.
  • Double check can do over twice the damage of a blockade
  • Flank attack does similar damage to a level 2 blockade, yet you can do it instantly....also a launcher
  • Round robin does terrible damage, but is a good tool to reposition lil chicky and protect yourself.
And nightmare
  • Summoning him is a knockback/counter
  • He can be used to knock enemies out of moves like geryons ultimate (By summoning him on top of them or combo A)
  • If you micro him - You should dodge/move around using illegal move, never by walking. He is suppose control like a tank
  • When you summon him and dont micro focus on crowd control so he can do his stuff.

At this point I realize i've written a brief breakdown on V, instead of a reply..oops.
TLDR: Use CC+powerful moves instead of mashing/holding charge shot
Thanks, this actually helps alot!

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
Wait, when it says "starring" and a players name that means there's someone else in that area? Can you interact with them?

I've seen a couple of names and I was even asked to rate someone at the end of mission 2 but I haven't seen anyone.
Yeah, someone over the network is playing in the same "instance" as you. Most levels you don't really interact, its just that the narrative chapters overlap there, so you might catch a glimpse of them somewhere.

There were a couple moments where you fight in the same space though, I know it happens in Chapter 13.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having to use Nightmare to find blue orb fragments is pretty annoying. I just had to restart mission 9 because I didn't have enough DT to break a wall.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Did you find a reason to use regular Kalina Ann, btw?
Hmm just tried it and it felt like some of the moves come out slightly faster and rocket jump feels like you stay in the air a bit more. I only used double in case I need a big damage move if I were to go gun only.

I'll say weapon orde is very important if you plan to equip 4, normally just 1 or 2 taps away from the weapon you want and the very rare instance you triple tap. Can get confusing as you saw on the clip the last part I forgot where the shotgun was.