• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much every Dante boss fight has big fat AOE attacks, and they're so easy to avoid that I'm convinced they exist as a dare from the designers.
You gonna run away like a little baby, or you gonna Royal Block that shit like a true SUPER SEXY STYLEBEAST?
They are, you gotta get in those extra real impacts!

Royal released on KC phase transition shout the other day too lmaoo.

As a general tip for the shouts if you activate DT, they wont knock you back!

You could time a real impact to knock him out of it. GwyndolinCinder has a video of him doing it and it's sick
The coolest part was that it did no damage... it was just like titans colliding.

The timing should always be the same, right? I dont recall much variation, at least on devil hunter. So you should be able to learn the timing.
There are different timings, I only know how to safely do it off the blink one

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

The coolest part was that it did no damage... it was just like titans colliding.

that is so sick dude lol

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah lol, he gets knocked out by that first massive hit that for some reason does 0 damage... Speaking of, is DRI in this game? I was messing around in the void a few days ago trying to do it but I didn't notice any extra damage outside of the increase from DT.
No that i know of, its still super usefull to reactivate/deactivate DT to avoid the summoned swords, since they can stagger the boss too early and fuck up windows where you could otherwise get another 2 RI in.

GwyndolinCinder Is it possible to parry Artemis' dive attack with Overture/Buster?

Also while we're on that subject, is it me or does Overture have a bigger window to parry?

Ya. Just jump up as shes approaching so you can more easily grab the face! Its harder than dmc4 boss counters imo. Even V has an easier time countering it lmao

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

Holy shit I managed it! Though not as planned lol. I got hit by the first fly through. Jumped over the 2nd one, immediately started the real impact and then clashed with the 3rd. It hit off axis but they still clashed. It was soooo sick

Oct 27, 2017
So for Dante you'll have to change controls as well to make some of his moves really "accessible", right? His gunslinger forward with E&I otherwise only works using index and middlefinger to tap square and circle in fast succession, which feels more awkward than the left hand style-claw for me. And with shotgun you can't charge it while performing the GS shotgun rolls.
So guns on L1 it is...Now show me that one crazy mofo who uses left hand claw while tapping buttons with right index+middlefinger without having the controller on the lap. My hands say NOPE.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So for Dante you'll have to change controls as well to make some of his moves really "accessible", right? His gunslinger forward with E&I otherwise only works using index and middlefinger to tap square and circle in fast succession, which feels more awkward than the left hand style-claw for me. And with shotgun you can't charge it while performing the GS shotgun rolls.
So guns on L1 it is...Now show me that one crazy mofo who uses left hand claw while tapping buttons with right index+middlefinger without having the controller on the lap. My hands say NOPE.
For that E&I gunslinger you only have to hit the first button once, then spam the 2nd one. I don't have any problems pulling that off with the default controls. You are right about the the shotgun, and since swapping gun to a shoulder button for Nero is a good idea, doing the same for Dante can help with muscle memory. It does introduce it's own problems though. Sometimes a quick DT activation while using other face buttons is helpful. Kind of a pick your poison situation.

Oct 26, 2017
For that E&I gunslinger you only have to hit the first button once, then spam the 2nd one. I don't have any problems pulling that off with the default controls. You are right about the the shotgun, and since swapping gun to a shoulder button for Nero is a good idea, doing the same for Dante can help with muscle memory. It does introduce it's own problems though. Sometimes a quick DT activation while using other face buttons is helpful. Kind of a pick your poison situation.
Breh you got a chin dont cha? Thats why they call them "face" buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I've said this a few pages ago. There is no ideal control layout for this game, which can be seen as a positive tho, because changing the setup constantly may inspire new playstyles. As a noob I'm currently thinking about putting Trickster and Swordmaster on shoulder-buttons/triggers for an easy run just to get a feel for what is possible with quickly switching between those two. It blew me away when I placed the gun on R2 for Nero just to find out that I can charge his gun while doing sword-combos and using breakers. I never would've thought of this with the default controls, because who would mash triangle with the middle-finger while holding down square with the index finger? Lol, there's maybe this one crazy kid of course. ...

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yes, I've said this a few pages ago. There is no ideal control layout for this game, which can be seen as a positive tho, because changing the setup constantly may inspire new playstyles. As a noob I'm currently thinking about putting Trickster and Swordmaster on shoulder-buttons/triggers for an easy run just to get a feel for what is possible with quickly switching between those two. It blew me away when I placed the gun on R2 for Nero just to find out that I can charge his gun while doing sword-combos and using breakers. I never would've thought of this with the default controls, because who would mash triangle with the middle-finger while holding down square with the index finger? Lol, there's maybe this one crazy kid of course. ...
Oh there's definitely someone out there doing that lol. I was watching a combo video in the void (think it was ChaserTech's?) and I saw square held down the whole time and just shook my head. Then again his combos put most players to shame so if it works, it works.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Mission 17 tips? Do i basically have to use Royal Guard to S rank? what weapons should I use? Closest I got was 4.5k

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Dante is the only character I never changed the control schemes for.

Also, I just got ambushed by a Fury that I wasn't prepared for, couldn't pull off any of the parries and I only had Tomboy with me.

This single creature took me down to 20% health from full.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
What's the damage boost from DT'ing just before Real Impact hits like in the prior games? I completed forgot I could do that in the older titles, hah.

You know what I miss, the DT explosion from DMC3. I know SDT kinda initiates a small damage outburst upon activation but the DTE from DMC3 was my jam. It was also good fun back in the day when a lot of people had no idea you could do that for the longest time.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
What's the damage boost from DT'ing just before Real Impact hits like in the prior games? I completed forgot I could do that in the older titles, hah.

You know what I miss, the DT explosion from DMC3. I know SDT kinda initiates a small damage outburst upon activation but the DTE from DMC3 was my jam.

I'm not sure distortion is in the game, I think it's just the normal DT damage boost in this one (not sure how much it is specifically though).

Oct 25, 2017
BKhVuSJ.jpg

SOOOOOON

Man, I want coatless Dante so bad.

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
Heh, the mission 12 shortcut works for safeguarding an easy S rank. Just tried it on SoS and I got 600 points over the threshold without issue. Skipping a load of the mission's fights has zero bearing on the final score, in-fact it actually benefits you far more.

I think we can drop this from the 3 affected missions list. That leaves missions 10 and 18 IIRC.

What's the shortcut?

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, the mission 12 shortcut works for safeguarding an easy S rank. Just tried it on SoS and I got 600 points over the threshold without issue. Skipping a load of the mission's fights has zero bearing on the final score, in-fact it actually benefits you far more.

I think we can drop this from the 3 affected missions list. That leaves missions 10 and 18 IIRC.
I'm pretty sure the game is doing an average of every single fight you participate in, and weighing them all the same...which is stupid as hell.
BKhVuSJ.jpg

SOOOOOON

Man, I want coatless Dante so bad.
Miyathink610.jpg

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Got S rank on mission 17, had to start using RoyalGuard for the first time in the game, I still don't know how to use it properly, these last few bosses must be fkn insanely hard on HaH, cheers to the 1s that can get through them

Got a question about Nero's control config:
Would this be a good setup for constantly charging shots:
R1 lock on
L1 exceed
L2 gun
Triangle sword
Circle devil breaker
D-pad breakaway
R2 devil bringer
Square devil trigger

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Question about Mission 20; are you supposed
to have your devil breakers just blow up during it if you come back to the mission with them? I have Break Away on the d-pad, and have double checked that I'm not pressing it but sometimes they'll just... break for no reason during streak. Not been touched either. edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot, cat was sitting on a plugged in arcade stick.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Dante Must Die is making me realize that I might be more comfortable playing Nero than Dante, which is the opposite of what I expected going into the game. Dante is pretty overwhelming with all of his combat options while Nero's more focused moveset jives with me more. Plus the breakers are a ton of fun.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it last night on Devil Hunter. The last (real) boss gave me a bit of trouble, especially since I don't just want to be them I want to beat them with a decent score. Got pretty good at Royal Guarding everything by the end, even better when I could do it on the dive attack.

One thing that kept killing me was the stupid swords, didn't know you could destroy them. That would have simplified things greatly.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Question about Mission 20; are you supposed
to have your devil breakers just blow up during it if you come back to the mission with them? I have Break Away on the d-pad, and have double checked that I'm not pressing it but sometimes they'll just... break for no reason during streak. Not been touched either.
Is this happening regardless of which specific Devil Breaker is equipped?

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Beat it last night on Devil Hunter. The last (real) boss gave me a bit of trouble, especially since I don't just want to be them I want to beat them with a decent score. Got pretty good at Royal Guarding everything by the end, even better when I could do it on the dive attack.

One thing that kept killing me was the stupid swords, didn't know you could destroy them. That would have simplified things greatly.
Cant you go to Gunslinger and destroy
them by jumping+O with E&I ?

Oct 26, 2017
I use L2 for exceed but its just because of muscle memory, no point fuckin it up cause ill switch to PC soon. (At which point Ill use X1 for nero, DS4 for dante)

I don't know how, but I've managed to dodge so many spoilers. We're so close now!

I don't even know what happens when you die, something I was well aware of before playing Bloodborne. HYPE.
I'm about the same as DS3/BB/DS2.
  • DS2 played the network test
  • BB watched alpha gameplay
  • DS3 played the network test (Pretty sure you got one of my codes aswell!)
  • Sekiro seen the original gameplay reveal (EasyAllies+Max Vids)
Actually I lie, the day before release I saw a thumbnail of BB which showed trees. I got so bummed out!

3 sleeps till multiple days of isolation playing a new fromsoft game ^____^

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Dante Must Die is making me realize that I might be more comfortable playing Nero than Dante, which is the opposite of what I expected going into the game. Dante is pretty overwhelming with all of his combat options while Nero's more focused moveset jives with me more. Plus the breakers are a ton of fun.

What you can do, is limit Dantes equipment load. I run with guns and kalina and sword + gauntlets. I managed to turn quite some stages into S.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
What's the shortcut?

When you get to the section with the fountain, jump up to the first gargoyle immediately above you as you enter as you might normally do but then from there jump up to the next one up above you (and so on) using Cavaliere's backwards+triangle attack which launches you up (as you cannot get up there normally) along with Trickster to air dash to the next one. You can do it around 4/5 times before you even out in the sky I think but it gets you up without having to run through each tunnel. You can use this to skip most fights which significantly lowers the risk of your style average petering out.

I'm pretty sure the game is doing an average of every single fight you participate in, and weighing them all the same...which is stupid as hell.

Yeah I think that's the real problem, some of the fights have enemies that die ridiculously quick so it's tough to keep your style score at an even level (Mission 12's first encounter you could have 5k but then the second encounter is against a specific single enemy that dies super quick and you plummet down to 3.5k without a say in it). It basically penalizes you massively without you doing anything wrong. It's dumb. The less fights you have in a mission, the better, as fucking odd as it sounds. Especially if those fights are against tanky enemies where you can generate SSS and keep it there for like 5 fucking minutes to get the score you need.

Whole thing needs a tweak in certain missions most certainly. Bosses can be a saviour if you can work them well so it can technically become a non-issue but it's a painful struggle until you get to the point you can really get going in fights. The ordinary encounters are just a write-off completely for the most part, for those specific missions everyone has issues with.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
So in my quest to become the ultimate style beast, it has become clear that I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

I need to put on some serious lab time. I'm not bad with trickster and swordmaster for Dante, but I basically end up ignoring gunslinger and have never touched royal guard.

Nero feels familiar from my time with DMC4, but I know I'm not utilising devil breakers to their full extent.

The less said about my skills with V, the better.

I had to use a golden orb on the Artemis boss fight on SOS mode, so that says it all really 😅

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
But does the bumper give greater success because of having to travel less far when you press it? Or are they about equal?
I also don't have my tv on gaming mode so I'm probably getting some input lag, but I feel like I was better at DMC4s MAX-ACT which was harder than 5s

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best modern controller when it comes to battery time? I still mainly use my DS3 on PC because the DS4 is so shitty in that regard, even if I enjoy the controller overall.

Not sure if I can get used to the Xbox layout, since I usually play claw, and using my index finger for the left analogue stick must be horrible.