• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 16 now on SoS and it is getting tough. I need at least one gold orb per mission to complete it. Especially bosses just wreck me. I think I will pull through, but after that playthrough I will go on a slow human playthrough and learn the mechanics. In my current state, I don't want to even try DMD.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I don't see it on Spotify D:
EYC5uzj.jpg

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Nope. I got hit several times in a couple of fights when doing my S rank run on Devil Hunter but still managed to get S rank. Royal Guard helps so darn much, more so than anything else. Once you get the timing down you can fly up the ranks no problem. Add that to avoiding optional fights and it works (though it was tight).

Not done 12 yet, but for 8 the biggest advantage for me was starting off solid. I avoid the 4-6 weak enemies right at the beginning as it can be hard to get your style rank above A and then just put in a solid performance in the first required fight just past them. Aim for getting 4K plus in that fight and then just aim to keep pushing that higher and higher, if you can hover around 4.5K and not die against the boss (don't die in stages at all obviously, the hit to the final multiplier ruins your score) you should get it. Took a fair few tries to hit though.
I was talking about SoS and so on :P
I also S ranked it on DH, but on SoS I'm having a harder time. Highest I've gotten is 5100 post multipliers.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about SoS and so on :P
I also S ranked it on DH, but on SoS I'm having a harder time. Highest I've gotten is 5100 post multipliers.
Ah, I did wonder. No clue I'm afraid, I'm doing Devil Hunter only, I don't dare try to S rank the higher difficulties as I assume I'll go insane. I had a hard enough time S ranking mission 12 on Devil Hunter this evening, took many attempts to hit a decent score early on, after that it went fairly smoothly. Not quite sure why Dante especially feels tougher to S rank missions, I already have issues style and weapon switching on the fly as it is, but to do it and get an S rank? Yeah, definitely testing my skills! Good thing the game is so good, else this totally wouldn't be worth it!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
For my DMD playthrough, I'm finally gonna change the battle themes to the ones in the Deluxe version. I don't know what song to change Nero's to though. Devil Trigger suits his punk attitude so well and I'm sure as hell not going with The Time Has Come after listening to that for so many years lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat DMC1 and it made me wonder what the hell the password is that gets mentioned in the game. Don't think its ever been revealed.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the real game starts when you press start on the title screen

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
For my DMD playthrough, I'm finally gonna change the battle themes to the ones in the Deluxe version. I don't know what song to change Nero's to though. Devil Trigger suits his punk attitude so well and I'm sure as hell not going with The Time Has Come after listening to that for so many years lol.
Currently running with Ultra Violet for Nero, but sometimes I miss the songs with lyrics. That's why I've only used DMC 3 tracks for Dante (changed it before my first playthrough, heard more than enough of Subhuman in the trailers).

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Ah, I did wonder. No clue I'm afraid, I'm doing Devil Hunter only, I don't dare try to S rank the higher difficulties as I assume I'll go insane. I had a hard enough time S ranking mission 12 on Devil Hunter this evening, took many attempts to hit a decent score early on, after that it went fairly smoothly. Not quite sure why Dante especially feels tougher to S rank missions, I already have issues style and weapon switching on the fly as it is, but to do it and get an S rank? Yeah, definitely testing my skills! Good thing the game is so good, else this totally wouldn't be worth it!
Yeah keep your sanity lmao. It's fucking ridiculous, 1 hit and the entire run is pretty much ruined. Just got 5378 points *sigh*

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I usually dont replay games right after I beat them but I'm really enjoying this game, completely mission 2. I did pretty well throughout the level but when I got to the boss I rocked him for 3/4 of his life then he killed me 2x!!! That ruined my grade and I got a measly D!!!!!!! I wanna go back and redo it!

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game last night. Not my first DMC but I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Gotta say I really enjoyed my time with the game. I was having a blast even when I was getting my ass kicked (looking at you mission 19). I was getting a fair amount of S ranks on normal, but I always felt like I was learning these characters even without necessarily executing high level techniques. The game is incredibly accessible whilst also having buckets of mechanical depth and I think that is super important for character action games. Some other quick thoughts..

-I found Nero way more fun to use in this game than in 4, to the point where he may be my preferred character. I think the Breakers and increased emphasis on the grapple wire give him just the right amount of spice that I thought he was missing in 4.

-The story was fine. It doesn't really kick into high gear until the last third (and it is indeed super hype). For the most part it's just three goofsters running around slaying demons which is pretty much what I expected.

-Graphically the game is incredible, the RE engine continues to impress. However environmental variety is sorely lacking.

-Being forced to swap between 3 characters each with unique play styles and huge amounts of depth can lead to some mechanical whiplash. I'm a fair weather DMC player but I can see how newcomers could easily be overwhelmed between the characters.

-The co-op feature is actually super neat. Reminds me a bit the crossover stuff in Resident Evil 6, although it's implemented far better here.

-I'm not necessarily opposed to fan service, but it is pretty disappointing how Trish and Lady were handled. Especially given that they were shown to be capable ass kickers in previous games, so them just essentially amounting to wallpaper here is unfortunate.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Gah, I'm missing one blue orb fragment but have no idea what I missed. I was using a guide to keep track of them, though I switched partway through. Can't remember when though. I guess I can look for them again replaying since I don't see any that seem unfamiliar.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the S on M18 SOS, over 6K score.

Yay.

Not sure what I did different but my scores for every fight were way higher. The first fight alone gave over 6500 points.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Finally S ranked mission 10 on SoS T_T I feel the sky is the limit now ~
Tips on s ranking mission 10 sos?
Get as many stylish points as you can (>5500 at least ) on the first encounter. It only goes downhill from there.

Stay at SSS for as long as you can. Delay the killing blow if you can so that the fight lasts longer while at SSS.

Try to not get hit at all. Getting hit while on DT (as long as you don't get knocked off) doesn't have repercutions on your style rank.

Use SDT on touger encounters. Like the hell judecca or the nelo angelo knockoffs. You can beat them normally, but I just used the fuck you button for those encounters.

Good luck :) it took me 7 tries on DH and 8 on SOS. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like on DMD.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I can't bring myself to bring Nero's gun mapped to L1. The charge is way easier but it makes my exceed skills super sloppy. I'm gonna stick to the default controls for him. I did it for DMC4 but wanted to give it more of a shot this time but I do better on default controls. Even if it cramps my hands.