• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It just my controller or you guys have problems to use Lock-on and change to a different enemy ?

You can only switch targets with L3 when your left stick is neutral; if you're pointing it in any direction it won't work.

Lock-on is kind of a pain in this game, unfortunately. It's really difficult to switch your lock to one particular enemy you want in a crowd, you basically have to run right up in their face before you lock on, and even then it's iffy.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is there a point in...

Keep using the Buster Arm once Nero gets his arm back? Like, gameplay wise, is there something it does better than Nero by himself or...

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
What the fuck! Fucking spoilers in the PSN/XBL store. LMAO! Have some restraint, Capcom. I haven't finished the game yet and I sure as hell wasn't expecting to see THAT while casually browsing DLC.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a point in...

Keep using the Buster Arm once Nero gets his arm back? Like, gameplay wise, is there something it does better than Nero by himself or...

Definitely.

-Grab with the breaker does twice the damage the bringer grab does
-The break age grab does over 20 times the damage the bringer grab does
-It allows Nero to use grabs while using Aegis with the bringer.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a point in...

The Buster Arm does a shitload more damage than the Devil Bringer. I think the actual numbers are double damage for a standard attack from the Buster Arm, and TEN TIMES more damage for a Break Age.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Definitely.

-Grab with the breaker does twice the damage the bringer grab does
-The break age grab does over 20 times the damage the bringer grab does
-It allows Nero to use grabs while using Aegis with the bringer.
The Buster Arm does a shitload more damage than the Devil Bringer. I think the actual numbers are double damage for a standard attack from the Buster Arm, and TEN TIMES more damage for a Break Age.

Rad, thanks guys.
Jesus had no idea the breakage was that OP. Can you like one shot some bosses with that? Because I recall standard breaker grab doing a shit ton of damage already and I don't think I used the breakage against bosses.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Rad, thanks guys.
Jesus had no idea the breakage was that OP. Can you like one shot some bosses with that? Because I recall standard breaker grab doing a shit ton of damage already and I don't think I used the breakage against bosses.

Just about, at least on lower difficulties. If you plan it out just right you can get a boss into its downed state, pop DT, do a Showdown and charge your Buster Arm Breakage during the Showdown, so you can go straight into that right afterwards and just melt boss health bars.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just about, at least on lower difficulties. If you plan it out just right you can get a boss into its downed state, pop DT, do a Showdown and charge your Buster Arm Breakage during the Showdown, so you can go straight into that right afterwards and just melt boss health bars.

That sounds fucking hilarious. Thanks, gotta go give that shot, provided Devil Hunter still counts as lower difficulties :P

Unfortunately not, only Missions 7 and 13 where you could already choose different characters.

It's possible on PC with mods, though.

Whoa whoa whoa, what? Are there mods out already? Only thing I saw was a mod for mod swapping.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Rad, thanks guys.

I remember seeing a video where a Buster Breakage does around 10 000 dmg, nothing else in Nero's arsenal even comes close.

Charged shot Lv 3 - 650
Overture bomb - 700
Punchline Boost Knuckle - 1500
Showdown - 2500

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I love this game and this series but boy am I fucking terrible at it.

4 Gold Orbs on Mission 19 on Devil Hunter.

(Sigh) I am so fucking bad at using Dante.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So quick question...

Picked this up yesterday, played the original way back, played the Reboot by ninja theory but could never get into it. I downloaded DMC4 off gamepass, should I play this, do I need to? Should I play the HD collection, I know it isn't the greatest collection with very little improvements over the originals but if it helps with the background? And should I get it on console or PC?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I feel a little bad about resorting to gold orbs to complete two of the later boss fights, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to avoid certain attacks when they were at 30 percent of their max HP. I guess it's time to go back and attempt them from mission select.

I'm bad at these kind of games (anything that requires real skill lol), but I'm still looking forward to seeing them develop DMC6. Maybe I'll go back to Bayonetta in the meantime.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So quick question...

Picked this up yesterday, played the original way back, played the Reboot by ninja theory but could never get into it. I downloaded DMC4 off gamepass, should I play this, do I need to? Should I play the HD collection, I know it isn't the greatest collection with very little improvements over the originals but if it helps with the background? And should I get it on console or PC?
I would recommend at least 3 and 4 because there the most connected to this games story.(plus 3 is just a really great game period.)

There's a recap in 5 though that covers the esential details if you wanna just jump in however.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So quick question...

You don't really need to play the older games, though it does help with getting into the swing of the combat since they start out simple and focuses on one character. But DMC5 has a training room so that's not a big issue either.

If you're worried about story the game has a decent recap video, but the main thing you need to know going in is just who these characters are. DMC's story isn't as complicated as something like MGS or KH, just a handful of characters.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds fucking hilarious. Thanks, gotta go give that shot, provided Devil Hunter still counts as lower difficulties :P

Whoa whoa whoa, what? Are there mods out already? Only thing I saw was a mod for mod swapping.

Switching characters (including the incomplete version of what will likely be later DLC) was possible through Cheat Engine like bootleg Turbo Mode early on.

Since then, we've moved past model swapping for 'actual' model importing, although there's not a huge amount out yet.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my GAWD Mission 10 is a big difficulty spike on DMD. Those Judeccas, man. Do they only teleport away when you knock them down? After needing to restart like five times just to get past the first couple of fights, I eventually found that I could get some solid damage in by jump cancelling a few DSD/Cerberus air combos without ever getting to the final hit, but eventually they'll parry out of that and then it's back to chasing them. I guess I need to spend some time in the void.

My journey through DMD has been:
First three missions: Oh, this isn't so bad. I can deal with this Empusa Queen. S-Rank? Killing it. Man, I'm going to ace this. No Gold Orbs, S-Ranks everywhere boieee
Mission 4: OK, well I kind of suck with V, so I guess I can make an exception on using Gold Orbs on his levels
Mission 7: WHAT ARE THEY FEEDING THIS PROTO ANGELO GODDAMN!
Mission 8: *Fury shows up and gets a SSS no damage kill on Nero in the first fight*
Mission 9: "TO SEE A WORLD IN A GRA- RIDE THE LIGHTNII- TO SEE A- HA HA HA FUCK Y- TO SEE A WO- TO SEE A WO"
Mission 10: Maybe the real dead weight was me all along

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally S ranked all of DMD. It had its moments but overall I think SoS is the perfect difficulty. Some enemies simply did not translate well to DMD such as the fucking Proto Angelo. Mission 20 took me an hour because I was being stubborn and refused to finish the mission without catching the flying dash with you know what. I know you can just dodge and I know you can even interrupt it with Blue Rose, but dammit I wanted that cool animation. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the timing. I still don't know it, I got lucky. I'll start Hell and Hell tomorrow and probably hate myself by the end of the day. Some missions are gonna be brutal.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Cheese-parrying Cavaliere Angelo's attacks with Cerberus' Revolver Lv 2 takes me back to the good old days.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Whats the style point threshold for mission 10 S rank devil hunter diff?
Idk but I spent around 10-12hours trying to S rank it it 1 night, only to give up and go to sleep, woke up and tried again - and S ranked it after another 2 hours of trying.
Time well spent, my eyes hurt, I started getting a headache, swore too much, lost a few hairs on my head, wife got mad at me, yeah was def worth the S rank

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
S Style rank threshold for DH is 5000, SoS is 5500, DMD is 6000 I think.

Basically in DMD as long as you're going in to the final encounters with 5000+ you'll be fine. Anything less and you'll have to put in a good show against whatever that final encounter is to make up for it (completely doable with most bosses).

Mission 18 is the one I'm not looking forward to the most in DMD. Basically you have to only focus on the boss fights and ignore every normal enemy fight for style points first and foremost. Second of all, in terms of the first two solo fights E&I Honeycomb is a fucking excellent stun tool, plus it helps to no-damage them with a high style score.

When it comes to the third encounter with the double act and the final boss encounter, pray. Utilizing the camera to separate enemies is useful though as unless there is a sliver of enemy model in the screen they won't attack you. Otherwise get that SDT going. You're gonna have to lure individual bosses away from the others to get them down. Back off and repeat. Trying to take them on as a collective will get your ass handed to you so fast.

It's a fucking awkward mission.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I installed the Monkey Business Devil Breaker using the code I got through Xbox Live but it's not showing up in Nico's van for me... help pls.
I just did this and had the same issue.

First, after redeeming the code, make sure you pick the Store option at the bottom of the main menu. Then exit the XBL store and the game will give you the option to scan for bonus content. After that quit out to the title menu, press start, and you should get the Monkey Business unlock message.

According to a comment I saw on this video, Nico doesn't actually sell the Monkey Business. You have to find it in the world.

I haven't checked, but it sounds plausible lol.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I have an Xbox code for some skin for Nero

QQ742-K34DQ-9FGPD-39XJM-VVTVZ

Apparently I'm a DMC fan and was given it. Which is weird as I'm not. Hope someone else likes it though.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Basically in DMD as long as you're going in to the final encounters with 5000+ you'll be fine. Anything less and you'll have to put in a good show against whatever that final encounter is to make up for it (completely doable with most bosses).

Mission 18 is the one I'm not looking forward to the most in DMD. Basically you have to only focus on the boss fights and ignore every normal enemy fight for style points first and foremost. Second of all, in terms of the first two solo fights E&I Honeycomb is a fucking excellent stun tool, plus it helps to no-damage them with a high style score.

When it comes to the third encounter with the double act and the final boss encounter, pray. Utilizing the camera to separate enemies is useful though as unless there is a sliver of enemy model in the screen they won't attack you. Otherwise get that SDT going. You're gonna have to lure individual bosses away from the others to get them down. Back off and repeat. Trying to take them on as a collective will get your ass handed to you so fast.

Defeating the sub bosses in their encounters isnt an issue , whats tough is doing it stylishly without taking damage. As for the final encounter with all 3 , Faust Hat will one shot em all provided you are able to time the attack perfectly. But then again , hard quit cheese allows you to repeat until perfection

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Beaten DmD and discovered something with the costumes after doing HaoH.
Beating Heaven or Hell does not actually give you the EX Vergil costume (nor does beating mission 19 on SoS with an S rank, as the Wiki claims), you have to kill everything in the credits fights to get it.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm so fucking pissed off, I glitched the last purple orb fragment in the game. I fell onto the platform with it in DT and as I was collecting it, I slid off the platform. Now, unlike with the secret mission trophy it didn't pop when I got it, and it didn't show that I had one more DT pip. When I exited the screen everything was just a golden-ish yellow, most likely meaning as I slid of the platform and transitioned in and out of the purple orb screen, I fell out of world. Reset checkpoint, no extra DT, no orb frag, no trophy, but it's now gone forever. I can't even buy one in the store!

I can't go through human mode and pick it up there can I? Fucking sucks man, there goes my perfect collection
:(

I don't even want to collect the last three blue orbs anymore this has got me so fucking upset

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Finished with DMD!

Ended up using red orb revival on all of V's and Dante's missions, haha.
Nero though, I can't be stopped when playing him.

Still, I have some work to do with all three in order to get all S ranks, but I'll take a break from DMD to clean up the other difficulties.

Some basic enemies may have had a bit too much health on DMD, dragging things out a bit, but I had a blast with this game. It's been a while since I played through a game three times in a row, and it feels like I'm still just scratching the surface. Can't wait for Bloody Palace and any possible DLC characters.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??

My least favorite mission of the "good" ones probably

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
lsjVPvP.gif

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone play on Xbox?
Despite playing the game on PS4, Xbox for some reason has sent me a Monkey Business Devil Breaker for Nero DLC code...

Does anyone want it? First to quote gets it I guess.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like Dante's dialogue in mission 19. Its.... interesting
"You think you can beat me? Not in a million years!" Hehe

SigmaCloud

May 8, 2018
Finally S ranked HAH and got the platinum trophy. Once I got to mission 20, I just pumped the volume up and let Silver Bullet blast.