• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone playing this on PC with a TCL 6 series? I can't get HDR to turn on. Other games I've tested HDR works just fine.
Yeah, I have that TV, but I thought DMC5 didn't support HDR.

EDIT: Never mind, just re-read what you said. I'm playing on PS4 & as far I can tell, it doesn't support HDR. Maybe PC is the same?

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my SoS run. 0 orbs with Nero on last boss, but not Dante :/ I have generally a harder time with him. Btw, which attack would be more appropriate to parry the boss' rain attack? I accidentally unleashed one of Cerberus' charged lightning attack and it did insane damage to the boss. Thinking of shotgun, or ice age, or gunslinger double kalina, but it's hard to experiment.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
3BDUBWc.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC fan since forever and I finished the game twice now. Wtf did they do to Trish and Lady? :( Thought it'd be less noticeable on second playthrough but no.

For the most part, I loved the game. I might have even teared up a bit during the slow mo intro because nostalgia. Nero's not as annoying in this game as he was in 4 so that's a plus. This Dante was DMC3 levels of hype and I'm happy the spotlight went back to him after having to endure Nero for so long in DMC4. OST was very good, I like the character battle themes a lot. Combat godlike as expected. RE Engine really nice for this type of smaller scale linear level design.

Have not read this thread at all, may have been mentioned, but Trish's model looks really weird. Not just her face, but her proportions look strange in motion too and she looks like she's wearing a wig. And while I usually have no issue with characters showing cleavage in gaming, I thought this game handled it poorly. Trish and Lady were 100% pointless to the story. Were they really just there so that the camera can zoom into their boobs for the drooling nerds? It wasn't even hot or anything, just unnecessary. Their dialogue was so bad I actually hoped Vergil would kill at least one of them just to force a different direction for the writing and for story's sake. One of the later mission menu screens has Trish taking a hot shower in the van with an awkward look on her face like she's trying to get the camera's attention because her boobs are half out. That's all, Capcom? Yikes. I think they should have died tbh.

DMC2 was a terrible game but at least Lucia was cooler than both Trish and Lady in this game. Her beautiful design made it really easy to like her too.

At this point the story just feels like Vergil killed millions of people, drained their blood to become best demon, and Dante and Nero are just cool with it at the very end of the game? I didn't mind the nonsensical V stuff and I thought he was interesting to play with (though his dialogue was bad emo stuff). Someday I hope they'll stop ruining DMC's story with obvious plot holes and actually take it a little more seriously while still keeping the Dante humor. What was up with that dumb mission where Nico magically shows up in the depths of hell with the van despite having to get through all the blood portal stuff like Nero had to? LOL Capcom. Could have just done that from the start then huh?

Vergil's model looks weird too in this engine. Something looks off about his face and hair, like he's balding with thinning hair or something. I also think Vergil was still way better in DMC3. How many times is this dude going to get humiliated like this, this time back to back by Dante and then his own son?

TLDR: Very good game, pretty meh writing, godlike combat, cute Nico, repetitive "cut the roots to fight next boss" mission structure/progression, nice soundtrack, subpar monster design, Trish and Lady got ruined.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy how spongy things are on DMD. Forces me to learn how to defend against them instead of completely obliterating everything like on the lower difficulties.

My biggest wish for Void Mode is to be able to add multiple enemies. Like, at least 5 of them.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
This game keeps matching me with this "Vergil's Ass" guy when I play Mission 2 lol.

LCbczpp.png

Is it just loading a replay of some sort? Bit strange if were always coincidentally playing the same mission at the same time.

So, I'm not only one who has seen Vergil's Ass...

How do you trigger the "Let's go for a walk, little chickee!" moment from the trailer?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
nah nero has amazing air options and malphas for whatever reason is only really a threat to grounded enemies

even the jumping chicken attack inexplicably only has hitboxes at the very bottom of the landing zone and even if it didn't you would just enemy step over it like a baws.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DMC fan since forever and I finished the game twice now. Wtf did they do to Trish and Lady? :( Thought it'd be less noticeable on second playthrough but no.

For the most part, I loved the game. I might have even teared up a bit during the slow mo intro because nostalgia. Nero's not as annoying in this game as he was in 4 so that's a plus. This Dante was DMC3 levels of hype and I'm happy the spotlight went back to him after having to endure Nero for so long in DMC4. OST was very good, I like the character battle themes a lot. Combat godlike as expected. RE Engine really nice for this type of smaller scale linear level design.

Have not read this thread at all, may have been mentioned, but Trish's model looks really weird. Not just her face, but her proportions look strange in motion too and she looks like she's wearing a wig. And while I usually have no issue with characters showing cleavage in gaming, I thought this game handled it poorly. Trish and Lady were 100% pointless to the story. Were they really just there so that the camera can zoom into their boobs for the drooling nerds? It wasn't even hot or anything, just unnecessary. Their dialogue was so bad I actually hoped Vergil would kill at least one of them just to force a different direction for the writing and for story's sake. One of the later mission menu screens has Trish taking a hot shower in the van with an awkward look on her face like she's trying to get the camera's attention because her boobs are half out. That's all, Capcom? Yikes. I think they should have died tbh.

DMC2 was a terrible game but at least Lucia was cooler than both Trish and Lady in this game. Her beautiful design made it really easy to like her too.

At this point the story just feels like Vergil killed millions of people, drained their blood to become best demon, and Dante and Nero are just cool with it at the very end of the game? I didn't mind the nonsensical V stuff and I thought he was interesting to play with (though his dialogue was bad emo stuff). Someday I hope they'll stop ruining DMC's story with obvious plot holes and actually take it a little more seriously while still keeping the Dante humor. What was up with that dumb mission where Nico magically shows up in the depths of hell with the van despite having to get through all the blood portal stuff like Nero had to? LOL Capcom. Could have just done that from the start then huh?

Vergil's model looks weird too in this engine. Something looks off about his face and hair, like he's balding with thinning hair or something. I also think Vergil was still way better in DMC3. How many times is this dude going to get humiliated like this, this time back to back by Dante and then his own son?

TLDR: Very good game, pretty meh writing, godlike combat, cute Nico, repetitive "cut the roots to fight next boss" mission structure/progression, nice soundtrack, subpar monster design, Trish and Lady got ruined.
I mean, Nico has one of those hourglass god statues right in the van, and those seem to be able to go anywhere.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cerberus works wonders against Fury.

Any good way to deal with those purple guys with duel swords that keep disappearing?

One thing I'm kind of really enjoying is how much Nero says fuck and swears and nobody is saying a thing about it but when DmC was out Dante saying "fuck" was a big point of contention used to try to discredit how childish he was as a character. Where all you at now? Lol.

Nero was swearing before DmC Dante (edit-- corrected.)

Like, I just want to smack people around for not having paid attention to Nero in DMC4. (Also, hi, Musubi.)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With BP coming April first, it's lit a fire under my ass to complete the last few missions of SoS and all of DMD ASAP. Especially with Sekiro coming next week.

Oct 25, 2017
nah nero has amazing air options and malphas for whatever reason is only really a threat to grounded enemies

even the jumping chicken attack inexplicably only has hitboxes at the very bottom of the landing zone and even if it didn't you would just enemy step over it like a baws.
Yeah I guess that's it; I never even touch the ground as Nero because why would you lmao.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've grown to really love incorporating the taunt jump into nero's basic moveset because a) it looks rad and b) so much air time it's nuts

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting S rank in prologue is kind of hard... there are like no enemies.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
About 3 hours in so far. It's...okay I guess? Not bad, but I'm not really super excited either.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LOL WHAT THE FUCK (this is on DMD mode by the way!)

Oct 26, 2017
I actually enjoy how spongy things are on DMD. Forces me to learn how to defend against them instead of completely obliterating everything like on the lower difficulties.

My biggest wish for Void Mode is to be able to add multiple enemies. Like, at least 5 of them.
lol all this hp gets you to do is optimize , your best defense is gonna be royal guard cause it does more damage than dodging. He has an incredibly small variety of attacks, so you just sit here bashing away for 5 minutes. Spam DRI when you get all three heads down (otherwise the hitbox is so bad youll probably miss for no reason at all). Use SDT and a royal release to the best of your ability to skip through his DT. EXCITING

The reason the previous games were so fun on DMD was that once bosses DT you were excited to see their new moves, here its like "I better hold off on damage so I can charge more SDT, so i can phase skip his DT" otherwise you waste another 5 minutes of your life.

With BP coming April first, it's lit a fire under my ass to complete the last few missions of SoS and all of DMD ASAP. Especially with Sekiro coming next week.
Gbraga https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
You don't have to. I got him down to around 30% on Devil Hunter and got a S.

My bad. I lost to him my first time on DH and got a B but on my replay I beat him and got an S so I just assumed you needed to beat him to get enough points.

Wtf happened.

I've been completely ignoring that damn hat.

Yeah, that hat has been intimidating me all week. I don't know how to approach that weapon at all.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it can also load player data if it doesn't find someone to actually play. You can even be matched with your own data if you play offline, so you can watch your own combos from a distance. It's cool that it matches your Nero Prologue on a second run with your first Dante vs Urizen fight from halfway through the game.

Isn't it always saved player data? Is it even possible for live players to be connected live?
For some reason, I have not even once been given a Stylish rating by another player (and I hammer that button at the end of ever chapter). Makes me wonder if my play data isn't being shown to others for some reason. I'm on a PS4.
Same, I've handed out dozens but received none.

You gotta beat the "unbeatable" boss.
This isn't the only way. I managed an S Rank on prologue SoS mode without killing Urizen. I tried, but could only break his shield once and doing about half of his health before the shield recovered. I died before I could break the shield a second time.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it always saved player data? Is it even possible for live players to be connected live?
If it was just recorded actions, why would it break if you pause as it currently does?

And how would M13 work?

It may do it for missions without direct interaction though if they can't matchmake. I haven't gotten a "starring DMC staff" since the first couple days.

Edit: Also the gold orb for stylish ratings seems wonky right now, went days without receiving anything and then booted it up today and received thirteen and the daily login bonus.

Oct 28, 2017
If it was just recorded actions, why would it break if you pause as it currently does?

And how would M13 work?

It may do it for missions without direct interaction though if they can't matchmake. I haven't gotten a "starring DMC staff" since the first couple days.

The joint Nero and V mission in the subway, I've had two players so far on SoS stand around with me and taunt when you end up meeting each other on the final set of escalators before you reach the boss. Pretty sure its live co-op play. Maybe it defaults to AI play if there's a desync, Tekken 7 style, but I doubt a player is going to start mashing taunt next to my exact spot and goofing about there if its a replay.

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen much complaints about the photo mode but its annoying that you can't get too close to character models without them fading. Would have liked the ability to gawk up close to the models, as well as the chance to get some really nice shots. Shame it doesn't have any options to modify DoF or motion blur either.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The joint Nero and V mission in the subway, I've had two players so far on SoS stand around with me and taunt when you end up meeting each other on the final set of escalators before you reach the boss. Pretty sure its live co-op play. Maybe it defaults to AI play if there's a desync, Tekken 7 style, but I doubt a player is going to start mashing taunt next to my exact spot and goofing about there if its a replay.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If it was just recordings of inputs I don't see why pausing would cause the Starring icon to disappear consistently.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If it was just recordings of inputs I don't see why pausing would cause the Starring icon to disappear consistently.

Also how would the other player be seeing the exact same enemies in the same positions and attack them just fine? If it was a replay, you'd see them just slapping brick walls and empty space, because they'd be going for their own in-game enemies.