• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm kind of really enjoying is how much Nero says fuck and swears and nobody is saying a thing about it but when DmC was out Dante saying "fuck" was a big point of contention used to try to discredit how childish he was as a character. Where all you at now? Lol.

right here, noting that it fits Nero's immature attitude. Seriously dont get what people see in this dead weight.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the hat.

I saw someone on the subreddit got all the trophies, when people were asking about specific spots he seemed to basically keep saying Faust was the way through, lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone actually made this mod:

8L7D436.jpg

https://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry5/mods/27

Hahahahaha. We're almost there!

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Really unfortunate, it loads fine on PC so must be a hardware limitation.

Maybe to an extent, but I also just think it's a mixture of poor planning and incompetence, similar to how the loading works in Sonic 2006.

Like, here's the journey from title screen to getting to play a mission:

Application startup (loading)> Company logos and Gold Orb messages>Loading> Title Screen> Loading> Main Menu> Selecting a Mission> Loading>Cutscene that you obviously skip cause you've seen it before> Loading> Costume Select> LOADING> Mission Start Menu> Loading> Actually Playing The Game (Unless they throw another cutscene in!).

That's not even counting if you want to go into the Customization Menu to buy things, or try them out in The Void.

Several of those load screens shouldn't exist. There's no reason why the logos and the title screen couldn't be loaded at once as one segment. The Gold Orb messages should also just appear when you press start.

The Main Menu being Nico's Van is cool, but it leads to more loading. A Main Menu should not be so intensive that it not only requires a loading screen after the Title Screen, but loading screens within different parts of the Main Menu.

Why is the Costume Select option it's OWN menu that requires a load screen?! Why isn't that just something you toggle on or off on the Mission Start Menu. Also, having the Customization Menu be Nico's Van again just means more loading.

This is borderline Sonic 06, where you'd talk to an NPC, get a load screen, get one or two new text boxes from the NPC, and then have to endure another load screen before you could play the mission the NPC gave you.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Kreygasm

That's fantastic! Do you have any idea of what exactly made it click for you, or it just kind of did? Something you didn't get before about the combat that you understood with V?

This looks sooo satisfying.

Using 4 guns must be hard as shit, though. I can barely manage 3.

Did you find a reason to use regular Kalina Ann, btw?
When I went back to the other characters I used the don't know the name but attacked in air w right bumper held used hop to stay in air / avoid attacks it kinda made sense V wasn't as fun to play but combat was slower using the animals but kind of understood about keeping attacks going while avoiding stuff @ same time

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If it was just recordings of inputs I don't see why pausing would cause the Starring icon to disappear consistently.
Also how would the other player be seeing the exact same enemies in the same positions and attack them just fine? If it was a replay, you'd see them just slapping brick walls and empty space, because they'd be going for their own in-game enemies.
I don't think it's that hard to manipulate canned player actions to fit dynamic scenarios; that is what Forza driveatars do. Truncate players' combos performed on the ground, ground-to-air, air, and air-to-ground, utilize AI pathing to make the avatar approach enemies regardless of their location, and when in direct proximity with enemies beside real players, execute the relevant combat strings. Program some taunts after battles if both players are around. Profit.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yooo, that's amazing! Can't do that on the PS4, I don't think :P
Location wise you can't, was playing a couple Nero levels with Dante using a mod. Lighting is amazing in the game, just wish had more day time areas with Dante, the streets section with V, the 3rd Mission with Nero outside, 2nd Mission opening etc., all look great lighting wise, would have liked more areas brightly lit like that.
One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Bloody Palace is being able to play and hopefully capture some cool gameplay in nice lighting conditions without having to replay missions all the time, right now I find a location, try some stuff and then retry from checkpoint meaning loading screens and getting back to that area. That Dante clip is a simple Royal Release but that's the only thing I did with the game today, was taking a couple minutes each retry to get back to that room and then countless takes since the camera in that room was so hard to get a close up shot, kept zooming out, but finally got it and realised I had spent almost 2 hours on this one shot and was done playing at that point XD.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ice Age with Cerberus is pretty amazing, feels too good almost.

It's like one big bubble of deflection and invincibility.

There are some attacks that it won't deflect but they will still just pass through Dante. Not only that but whether it deflects or whether the attack whiffs through Dante, all of them make your style meter sky rocket. Almost like you are standing there and parrying every hit with Royal Guard.

And if that wasn't enough, Dante can cancel the animation into a regular jump for an invincible escape.

All that and it's not even locked to the style button, since you activate it with the regular attack button you can use it in any style.

Maybe to an extent, but I also just think it's a mixture of poor planning and incompetence, similar to how the loading works in Sonic 2006.

Like, here's the journey from title screen to getting to play a mission:

Application startup (loading)> Company logos and Gold Orb messages>Loading> Title Screen> Loading> Main Menu> Selecting a Mission> Loading>Cutscene that you obviously skip cause you've seen it before> Loading> Costume Select> LOADING> Mission Start Menu> Loading> Actually Playing The Game (Unless they throw another cutscene in!).

That's not even counting if you want to go into the Customization Menu to buy things, or try them out in The Void.

Several of those load screens shouldn't exist. There's no reason why the logos and the title screen couldn't be loaded at once as one segment. The Gold Orb messages should also just appear when you press start.

The Main Menu being Nico's Van is cool, but it leads to more loading. A Main Menu should not be so intensive that it not only requires a loading screen after the Title Screen, but loading screens within different parts of the Main Menu.

Why is the Costume Select option it's OWN menu that requires a load screen?! Why isn't that just something you toggle on or off on the Mission Start Menu. Also, having the Customization Menu be Nico's Van again just means more loading.

This is borderline Sonic 06, where you'd talk to an NPC, get a load screen, get one or two new text boxes from the NPC, and then have to endure another load screen before you could play the mission the NPC gave you.

All great points, very much agreed.

Some patches to fix/streamline this stuff would be most welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that hard to manipulate canned player actions to fit dynamic scenarios; that is what Forza driveatars do. Truncate players' combos performed on the ground, ground-to-air, air, and air-to-ground, utilize AI pathing to make the avatar approach enemies regardless of their location, and when in direct proximity with enemies beside real players, execute the relevant combat strings. Program some taunts after battles if both players are around. Profit.

It can be either. There are three settings in the game for this system OFF (no other players), LIMITED (Asynchronous ghost data), ON (Live, whenever possible)

I hadn't renewed my PS+ when the game was out so I was force into LIMITED on my first playthrough. Some missions I got "The DMCV Crew" which I'm pretty sure was just preloaded data. Later missions I got some player ghost data. All of these were distant fights and I never had another main character fighting by my side throughout the whole game.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Excuse me if already asked but... Are the paid tracks cut in the jukebox ? I mean, when I play Ultra Violet in the jukebox, the loop is terrible.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finished my second play through last night, this time I actually sat down and tried dr. Faust. Man why did I sleep on this thing my first play through. This thing is awesome and racked up heck orbs before the last missions.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit. I really hate Fausts addition. It's pay to win.
It's not pay to win, in fact Dr Faust allows you to GET more Red Orbs than you ever could. The Faust merely uses the red orbs as a sort of mana resource for its moves. You are pretty much going to have more red orbs than you need to utilize Faust and it will give you a net POSITIVE red orb bonus. The more you use it, the more red orbs you end up with. So it is actually the anti pay to win.

Though it is kinda too strong if you can just one shot DMD bosses if you find a way to charge it in a fight.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It's not pay to win, in fact Dr Faust allows you to GET more Red Orbs than you ever could. The Faust merely uses the red orbs as a sort of mana resource for its moves. You are pretty much going to have more red orbs than you need to utilize Faust and it will give you a net POSITIVE red orb bonus. The more you use it, the more red orbs you end up with. So it is actually the anti pay to win.

Though it is kinda too strong if you can just one shot DMD bosses if you find a way to charge it in a fight.

I personally don't think it's Pay-To-Win, but it's pretty obvious that the OP af nature of Dr. Faust is due to the fact you can buy Red Orbs. They wouldn't have made a crazy-OP weapon that uses Red Orbs for ammo otherwise. The fact you can gain more Orbs than lose if you use the weapon correctly is a nice positive but it comes off as an apology of sorts for the mechanic's inclusion in the first place.

And let's not even get started on the 3 million Red Orbs you need for a character's Super Taunt. That's extremely blatant "Pay up or grind, dickbags" stuff right there.

While the MTX are probably the least intrusive I've ever encountered, the smug fans that say "B-b-b-but muh MTX" as if they don't affect the game in anyway are dumbasses and hypocrites. Most of these same people were (rightfully) shitting on the MTX in games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Uncharted 4, or RDR2.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mission 19's Boss has been S ranked on DMD. Royal Guarded about 40-50% of their moves , dodged the rest and beat their cheesy af mechanic using SDT by beating them into submission. Also , the rose air taunt and JCing are vital to building DT and damage.

Oct 26, 2017
Hahahahaha. We're almost there!
I'm not even excited, media blackout souls is honestly the best experience. Like I know its coming, but my imagination has nothing to go on apart from the reveal game play.

Like i'm mentally preparing to lose myself for a weekend, but i'm not going crazy. But as soon as that game is in my hands and that main menu screen appears, and hopefully some wonderful music......i'm lost.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
So uh...anyone else have an issue with getting the deluxe edition upgrade to work? I used the code and the Playstation store shows it as "purchased" but the options for battle tracks, voices and live-action cut-scenes are locked out. What am I doing wrong? I'm already past the second mission.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
So uh...anyone else have an issue with getting the deluxe edition upgrade to work? I used the code and the Playstation store shows it as "purchased" but the options for battle tracks, voices and live-action cut-scenes are locked out. What am I doing wrong? I'm already past the second mission.
You have to download everything manually one by one.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm not even excited, media blackout souls is honestly the best experience. Like I know its coming, but my imagination has nothing to go on apart from the reveal game play.

Like i'm mentally preparing to lose myself for a weekend, but i'm not going crazy. But as soon as that game is in my hands and that main menu screen appears, and hopefully some wonderful music......i'm lost.
I'm on blackout too. Release timing is gonna be perfect. 1 week to beat it, maybe mess around in ng+, then back to DMC for bloody palace release

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I did though? It's showing everyone of the add-ons as installed in my notifications menu. I don't get it.
Try to reinstall them and reset your game. If it that doesn't work, I'm not sure what's going on. The EX costumes uninstalled by themselves somehow for me and I had to dl them again.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
And let's not even get started on the 3 million Red Orbs you need for a character's Super Taunt. That's extremely blatant "Pay up or grind, dickbags" stuff right there.

While the MTX are probably the least intrusive I've ever encountered, the smug fans that say "B-b-b-but muh MTX" as if they don't affect the game in anyway are dumbasses and hypocrites. Most of these same people were (rightfully) shitting on the MTX in games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Uncharted 4, or RDR2.

I see the 3 million Orb Taunts more as a way of addressing the fact that every combo video player you see on Youtube has their red orb counter maxed out at 9,999,999 or whatever because you just run out of stuff to buy when you're putting 100+ hours into the game. They're such non-vital moves that nobody's going to specifically grind or pay for them.

But, yeah, it all feeds into the fact that they've included a lot of new mechanics that specifically make Red Orbs more valuable to coincide with them being purchasable with real money. The taunts aren't necessarily going to get people opening their wallets, but having Red Orbs no longer shared between characters, a new weapon that feeds off Red Orbs and particularly the option to revive and damage all enemies at the same time with Red Orbs are much harder to defend. I mean, look how much damage the most expensive Red Orb revive option does; your credit card hits harder than Sin DT. Obviously you don't have to spend money to enjoy the game, but the same is true of every other game out there with optional microtransactions, and DMC5's implementation is no less scummy than any other publisher's implementation.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Literally, like I used Dr Faust to farm about 3 million orbs in less than 30 or so minutes if I remember right in one of the levels.

It's fun to use these buzz words like SCUMMY to describe Red Orbs as MTX but it's just such a non issue with DMC5 honestly. The EX Taunts are fun but they're not even really that viable in game - a Break Age of Ragtime isn't even enough to do Nero's.

150,000 isn't that much when you've unlocked everything and you're on DMD either, and if you're considering this as a strategy you're probably at that point anyway.

It's nowhere near as bad as games like SF5

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Try to reinstall them and reset your game. If it that doesn't work, I'm not sure what's going on. The EX costumes uninstalled by themselves somehow for me and I had to dl them again.

I ended up having to delete the entire game off my drive and download it all again but it works now. Really weird. Thanks for the help!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm fine with the rorb revive option being expensive as fuck. what i don't like is that it snatches my time to get from 'die' to 'revert to checkpoint'! TOO LONG!

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to use these buzz words like SCUMMY to describe Red Orbs as MTX but it's just such a non issue with DMC5 honestly. The EX Taunts are fun but they're not even really that viable in game - a Break Age of Ragtime isn't even enough to do Nero's.

150,000 isn't that much when you've unlocked everything and you're on DMD either, and if you're considering this as a strategy you're probably at that point anyway.

It's nowhere near as bad as games like SF5

It is what it is. "Not as bad as ___" doesn't mean it's good. The other poster who mentioned AC Odyssey is exactly right; Ubisoft sold an XP booster for real money that let you skip huge chunks of the game if you wanted to. To anyone who likes that game the immediate question is "Why would you want to pay to skip chunks of an enjoyable game?", but Ubisoft was still happy to take your money for the chance. AC Odyssey was notorious for having level requirements for story missions, so you had to play through side missions to gain enough XP to continue the main story. If the game had no microtransactions, you could just chalk it up to the designers' intentions. Once you add in 'timesaver' microtransactions, you have to question whether the game was designed to be grindy to encourage those microtransactions.

Likewise, in DMC4, which was designed with no thought to microtransactions, you could re-use the same Red Orbs to buy two different characters' movesets. Come DMC5, you now need to buy every character's moves from the same pool of Orbs. In DMC5 you can pay to buy Orbs that let you instantly melt 25% of a boss' health bar on DMD. In DMC5 you're faced with the 'Use Red Orbs to revive' menu every time you die, and have to refuse that option, wait through a death animation, and only then are you allowed to simply restart from the last checkpoint. The obvious question from a DMC fan is "Why would you deprive yourself of the chance to learn and get better at DMC?", which is all well and good, but Capcom wouldn't have implemented these options if they didn't think people were going to pay. I get wanting to defend this brilliant, miracle game that rose out of the ashes of a series once thought long gone, but DMC5's microtransactions are exactly as scummy as any other publisher's version.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Likewise, in DMC4, which was designed with no thought to microtransactions, you could re-use the same Red Orbs to buy two different characters' movesets. Come DMC5, you now need to buy every character's moves from the same pool of Orbs. In DMC5 you can pay to buy Orbs that let you instantly melt 25% of a boss' health bar on DMD. In DMC5 you're faced with the 'Use Red Orbs to revive' menu every time you die, and have to refuse that option, wait through a death animation, and only then are you allowed to simply restart from the last checkpoint. The obvious question from a DMC fan is "Why would you deprive yourself of the chance to learn and get better at DMC?", which is all well and good, but Capcom wouldn't have implemented these options if they didn't think people were going to pay. I get wanting to defend this brilliant, miracle game that rose out of the ashes of a series once thought long gone, but this DMC5's microtransactions are exactly as scummy as any other publisher's version.
Its kind of hilarious that some fans were defending revives, cause you'd still have to git gud or die again.....when reality is dying twice will nuke any boss in game.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm surprised using a revive doesn't give you a mark of shame the way bayonetta does - i think it instantly drops your mission ranking twice in Bayo1?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of hilarious that some fans were defending revives, cause you'd still have to git gud or die again.....when reality is dying twice will nuke any boss in game.
No one actually thought reviving would do that much damage lol! The damage tier option is really shitty and shouldn't exist in the game at all. And if they want to keep that "Holy Water" effect from previous games then the damage needs to be toned down WAY lower.

Though to be honest no fan actually thought the revives itself were a good idea, just that it's not really going to matter for S ranking. Well, we were wrong on that one that too since red orb revive don't penalize you like a gold orb does (you don't get the 1.2x multiplier for no continues but you don't get penalized either) which means you can still S rank.

I mean, on the other hand, what are they supposed to do? Make the money move suck?
It should be half a bar for the first revive, one bar for the 2nd revive and 2 bars for full revive. Though in reality there shouldn't be any red orb to revive option to begin with.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i have an internalised mark of shame from knowing i needed to Revive to get past half the DMD bosses :(

i'll get there one day

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the fact that you can revive and get an S really bugs me. And the fact that you're rewarded so much by going for the big money revive bugs me even more.

I tried for platinums in bayonetta, but if all that's required is grinding for money and brute forcing through here idk if I can be bothered trying

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
V fighting against the final boss mod:

Honestly the fact that you can revive and get an S really bugs me. And the fact that you're rewarded so much by going for the big money revive bugs me even more.

I tried for platinums in bayonetta, but if all that's required is grinding for money and brute forcing through here idk if I can be bothered trying
You can't scumbag on Hell and Hell mode though. You instantly use up a Yellow orb when you get hit and that's an instant penalty.

Though in general it's sad for me to say but S ranking in DMC5 is no longer a feat of accomplishment. You pretty much just have to go through a mission and not die to get a S rank in 90% of the situations. You can play super sloppy and get hit around, you will still get the S rank if you have some decent combos and you don't die. Hell and Hell is an exception but it still uses Son of Sparda difficulty scaling (which you have already beaten) so it's really just about getting lucky enough that you don't get hit through the course of a mission.

Last edited: