• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time doesn't factor in at all when it comes to rank, right?

Neither per battle or in the final mission rank?

I feel like I'm racing to kill enemies thanks to years of previous DMC/Bayo -_-

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's great.

It negates pusback on hit, so if you do it after a streak the enemy won't fly away and you can easily continue your combo. I set it to square for easier access, moved Blue Rose to R2.
I use a similar control scheme just a little different.
Square = Devil Bringer
L1 = Blue Rose
R2 = Breakaway

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine how sick Lady's gameplay would be if they put the same amount of effort into her as Dante/Nero?

Oct 25, 2017
Time doesn't factor in at all when it comes to rank, right?

Neither per battle or in the final mission rank?

I feel like I'm racing to kill enemies thanks to years of previous DMC/Bayo -_-
I don't think it does.

Probably a big part of the reason why my first playthrough took me almost 20 hours. Though the time spent in training mode and the gallery wouldn't count anyway, to be fair.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine how sick Lady's gameplay would be if they put the same amount of effort into her as Dante/Nero?

I was just playing around with the expanded shotgun Gunstinger - having Lady's weapons being similar expansions of gun acrobatics with more control over positioning compared to her implementation in 4 and Dante's existing 5 Gunslinger moves could be really fun.

And now that Trish can't use Sparda going forward, it'd be nice if they used that as a way to give her a full break from her 'diet Dante' incarnation in 4 and 'DMC1 Dante' one in 2; using something like Cavaliere's sword+spear to channel her lightning in beams, mines and strikes with varying degrees of tracking and permanence.

But I expect that the questions of how to expand their design won't be answered in this game regardless of getting paid DLC or not.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list somewhere of all the "hidden/not explained" moves/mecanics in the game? (Like that cool af shotgun backflip on gunslinger for example)

they're all explained... you just have to page through the (kinda UX bad) skill menu. I recommend spending some time labbing in the Void

I was just playing around with the expanded shotgun Gunstinger - having Lady's weapons being similar expansions of gun acrobatics with more control over positioning compared to her implementation in 4 and Dante's existing 5 Gunslinger moves could be really fun.

And now that Trish can't use Sparda going forward, it'd be nice if they used that as a way to give her a full break from her 'diet Dante' incarnation in 4 and 'DMC1 Dante' one in 2; using something like Cavaliere's sword+spear to channel her lightning in beams, mines and strikes with varying degrees of tracking and permanence.

But I expect that the questions of how to expand their design won't be answered in this game regardless of getting paid DLC or not.

Funnily enough I bet her Marvel 3 incarnation would be the most interesting to try and translate backwards into DMC5

Oct 25, 2017
I made another short video guide for those of you who are new to Royal Guard and would like some tips and inspiration for practicing:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I made another short video guide for those of you who are new to Royal Guard and would like some tips and inspiration for practicing:

how's your thumb? :)

on DMD at least, on fire mode he'll start with the three swipes in a combination I think based on your positioning (claw slam or swipe on left or right side), but after he gets to half health he'll do four swipes and then a bite to finish his 'combo'.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it does.

Probably a big part of the reason why my first playthrough took me almost 20 hours. Though the time spent in training mode and the gallery wouldn't count anyway, to be fair.

Thanks, you can definitely kill stuff too fast in this game. I'll try slowing things down and going for more deflects and also trying to use the powerhouse moves less.

It's a fresh change for the genre I think, you can just enjoy your time styling.

Even on a shoestring budget Lady was such a blast to play in DMC4SE and brought a very different kind of gameplay feel to the table. There is so much they could do with acrobatics and gun moves for her. And taunts...

For Trish they should definitely focus on making her more unique. They should give her a unique weapon for starters so she doesn't share much with Dante or anyone else. Her character is great but like you said, gameplay wise she tends to feel like Dante light.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
DMD difficulty just doesn't look fun tbh, I'm fine sticking with SoS and Bloody Palace when that comes.

I'm surprised just how much I liked this game though, the first playthrough was like an 8/10 but the game truly shines on SoS, where you have to start actually learning the bosses moves and stuff and you have a grip of the mechanics and abilities and it all comes together perfectly.

There's only a few games where I think they may be better this year and those are Sekiro, Rage 2 and Doom Eternal, but I think this game will definitely be in my top 5 at the end of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
how's your thumb? :)

on DMD at least, on fire mode he'll start with the three swipes in a combination I think based on your positioning (claw slam or swipe on left or right side), but after he gets to half health he'll do four swipes and then a bite to finish his 'combo'.
It's perfectly fine actually, haha. Playing with a Dual Shock 4 is surprisingly comfortable for me :)
This is wonderful stuff. I have yet to try the Balrog Guard playstyle setup but a lot of people have said it's so much fun to play with so this will definitely help me. Thanks!
Thank you! I might make another one of these for Cavaliere Angelo since that fight is also great RG practice.

Oct 25, 2017
DMD difficulty just doesn't look fun tbh, I'm fine sticking with SoS and Bloody Palace when that comes.

I'm surprised just how much I liked this game though, the first playthrough was like an 8/10 but the game truly shines on SoS, where you have to start actually learning the bosses moves and stuff and you have a grip of the mechanics and abilities and it all comes together perfectly.

There's only a few games where I think they may be better this year and those are Sekiro, Rage 2 and Doom Eternal, but I think this game will definitely be in my top 5 at the end of the year.
Yeah, this is one of those rare cases where even right after finishing the game you still have the same urge to play it as you did the day it came out. I'm still counting the hours to get home and play some more.

Usually I can at least cool off after the first playthrough, even if I continue playing the game, but here it's as if my first playthrough never really finished, I'm still in the same mood.

Son of Sparda should have been unlocked from the start, honestly.
You can unlock it by beating the boss in the Prologue. I find that really cool, personally. I'll try doing a Son of Sparda run with a fresh save after I'm finished with all the modes.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the parry from Geb/royal guard instant? Or are there start up frames?
Guarding and Releasing is 100% instant. There is a very tight window for pressing it just a few frames before getting hit. The first step is to identify which attacks have completely predictable timings (such as set combos or counter attacks), then you just need to find an almost musical rhythm to it through experience and practice. The less input lag your setup has, the easier and more enjoyable this will be, of course. Sound helps a lot so if your setup supports it, try lowering the audio latency as well.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Dunno if this has been posted already but PC mod...

MQ0I6yd.jpg

YWWOs3v.jpg

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'll give them credit for delivering on that arcade feeling, wanting to play one more chapter, as if it was another round. Though that's also a consequence of how short (and easy) a single playthrough is, for a regular DMC player or someone experienced in the genre. With no Bloody Palace to mix things up, we barely have time to practice with some of the weapons and skills. It's natural to want more, because it almost seems designed to make you crave after a replay. It's more unfortunate for this reason, how oddly the game is structured, but I refrain from dissecting its problems, and simply enjoy its good parts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give them credit for delivering on that arcade feeling, wanting to play one more chapter, as if it was another round. Though that's also a consequence of how short (and easy) a single playthrough is, for a regular DMC player or someone experienced in the genre. With no Bloody Palace to mix things up, we barely have time to practice with some of the weapons and skills. It's natural to want more, because it almost seems designed to make you crave after a replay. It's more unfortunate for this reason, how oddly the game is structured, but I refrain from dissecting its problems, and simply enjoy its good parts.

Yeah. The stupid stop-start nature of the menus and load screens really damage the game's replayability, which is frustrating because the entire experience is designed around that replayability.

They need to release a streamlining patch that lets you load directly into a mission from the menu after you beat the game. I should not have to wait three to five minutes and skip two cutscenes every time I want to get to gameplay.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Man I love playing as Nero but V is so cotdman boring to play as, literally want to just get his missions over with.

Regarding Dante - the dude's arsenal is infinite, what should stick with to get used to with him and get S ranks?

I got so used to Nero's playstyle and skillset that Dante is overwhelming

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck on chapter 19 ) : .

Which part/moves are giving you trouble?
Man I love playing as Nero but V is so cotdman boring to play as, literally want to just get his missions over with.

Regarding Dante - the dude's arsenal is infinite, what should stick with to get used to with him and get S ranks?

I got so used to Nero's playstyle and skillset that Dante is overwhelming

If you have leveled up his styles then a combination of a sword (DSD is the best imo) and one more weapon will do well for you to get used to him.

Guns in Gunslinger are excellent for making the style meter go wild.

Honeycomb with guns, Mega Cascade with double Kalina Ann, dodge shots with shotguns etc., all make the style rise quickly.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game on Sunday night and haven't even had 5 minutes to start SOS yet and it's killing me. But most nights this week I got in some Void time and I'd try out a few combos while doing other stuff.

I'm by no means a DMC expert but I can pretty consistently do a punchline surfing combo with Nero I'm confident I can use in practical gameplay. I even have some of the muscle memory down to alter it in case I get a max-act instead of just one bar. I had no idea about his air taunt on my first playthrough but I use that shit constantly now.

It's great.

It negates pusback on hit, so if you do it after a streak the enemy won't fly away and you can easily continue your combo. I set it to square for easier access, moved Blue Rose to R2.

Oh I was wondering how I managed to do that when I was messing around last night. I must've accidentally hit it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agreed with all of this.

I think *most* of the time DMC keeps its ranged attacks and its move-you-around attacks very cleanly separated (and shotgun stinger and its assorted sister moves are the glaring exception). This is for sensible balance reasons, but I think it makes sense for Lady to be a (fun as hell) exception to the rule.

My ideal Lady gameplay would be really similar to what we saw from her in DMC3 cutscenes: constantly spraying bullets everywhere, tagging enemies with sticky grenades, and much more agile and mobile than everyone else. So, clearing large distances when she roll dodges successfully (some sort of combination Table Hopper and leave-a-grenade-behind-you perfect roll dodge would be great, for example) and constantly darting around the arena evading attacks while shooting everyone up.

IMO, the best way to do this without making Lady too overpowered - that is to say, a way to force her to engage up close, just like V has to - is to make armor-breaking stuff the weak point in her arsenal. Make it so she can dance circles around the sandbag enemies (and keep them stunlocked, one at a time anyway, with relative ease) but so that she *has* to use melee and grenade tagging (or extremely well-timed charged shots) in order to get heavier enemies into a stun state.

Stuff like her rocket jump in DMC4SE is a great start, but IMO the locked-into-place Kalina Ann charge -- at least in terms of being a bread and butter move for her -- is a big no-no and exists mainly because Itsuno was experimenting with giving the characters easily executed super attacks in 4SE.

Distance-clearing and damage-dealing just dodges would be great, as would lots of darting and dashing and spinning while firing her guns. I just think it's important to use balancing tools to encourage the player to be dancing around *right in the enemy's face* instead of at a safe distance (and have an overall difficulty/learning curve that *starts off* at a distance and then encourages the player to engage more and more closely as they get deeper into the game).

Funnily enough I bet her Marvel 3 incarnation would be the most interesting to try and translate backwards into DMC5
I definitely think her MvC3 moveset is a great point to build on. I'd be totally cool with giving her Alastor or the Cavaliere sword, but to me Trish would by far be the most interesting as a traps-oriented character (not a fully zoning-oriented one like my ideal V, but something in between).

I'd love it if - for example - instead of leaving a lightning trail for exactly one move (her version of Killer Bee), Trish's DT state made *everything* she does - including charged, but not regular, gunshots - leave a lightning trail (so really skilled players could lay traps all around the arena and launch enemies into them.

Giving her some of the ranged/AoE Nevan moveset would be cool too.

And let us pick the color of her lightning attacks plz, typical DMC blue/purple lightning is cooler looking than yellow lightning.

Oct 26, 2017
Do the bosses have notably more health in DmD then they did in previous games?
8 times the health and damage of human. But bear in mind you deal less damage once they DT...like alot less which is why everyone is just spamming royal guard on end game dante fights.

The modifier in 4 was 225% health and damage. 3 was 250% IIRC.

Yeah. I don't think difficulty modes should be locked, period, except for maybe the hardest one.
You dont even have the tools to fight the waves, so yes they should have been locked. There should have just been a hard mode.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
SoS where you need at least 5,500. I finally did it with 5,586. Just barely. Fucking cursed-ass mission. Maybe I just suck and I'm in for a tougher time on Mission 11.
Nope, I genuinely think mission 10 is bugged or rigged.

Constant SSS style, pretty much the same combos, sometimes fewer enemies on mission 11 and I got 5000+ style points on every encounter. Same conditions on mission 10 and I get only 3000+ style points per encounter.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, good you got it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I barely got 5,500 after a good number of attempts on SoS. Mission 11 should be way easier for you. I got it on my first try and I'm not a god at this game.
Nope, I genuinely think mission 10 is bugged or rigged.

Constant SSS style, pretty much the same combos, sometimes fewer enemies on mission 11 and I got 5000+ style points on every encounter. Same conditions on mission 10 and I get only 3000+ style points per encounter.

That's a relief. I had to play almost perfectly to get that S. At least it was good practice for DMD I guess.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Nah.

If they did this some would just go for DMD off the go then come here and complain that the game is unbalanced and it forces you to buy MTX or some shit.
So? That's their own fault and people here would see through it as a stupid complaint. You already have the opposite happening, with people complaining that Devil Hunter is too easy. Plus the game makes an effort to describe the difficulty levels.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they're all explained... you just have to page through the (kinda UX bad) skill menu. I recommend spending some time labbing in the Void
mmmm I dont think so, I have gone through the skill menu several times and there are definitely stuff in the game that isn't mentioned there, for example I didnt see it mention that Stinger is different while on DT, or that if you press jump while doing the forward shotgun stinger into the gunslinger move dante does a back flip shot.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So? That's their own fault and people here would see through it as a stupid complaint. You already have the opposite happening, with people complaining that Devil Hunter is too easy. Plus the game makes an effort to describe the difficulty levels.

''So?''

Devil May Cry was always designed to be replayed. I do agree that DH is too easy but having every single difficutly unlocked makes no sense.

Like it was said above. You don't have the tools for something like DMD if you start fresh. It makes sense for them to be unlocked as you go.

....or if anyone really wants SoS, or DMD on the first hand just beat Urizen in the prologue. There's options for everyone.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Son of Sparda should have been unlocked from the start, honestly.
Son of Sparda has late-game enemies in the first level. That's the kind of stuff you can only really do when you know players have been introduced to everything properly on the first playthrough. Look at Bayonetta 2 to see how poorly balanced that game's hard mode is due to the lack of remixed enemy placements.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
8 times the health and damage of human. But bear in mind you deal less damage once they DT...like alot less which is why everyone is just spamming royal guard on end game dante fights.

Ok that's actually kinda worrying. Seeing a lot of people complain that DmD is too tanky, so I really hope that it isn't like that to try and push revives and by extension mtx's.

I've only played the first few missions on DmD and beat Goliath, and I kinda feel like I wish there was a difficulty between it and SoS. DmD just feels a little too punishing but I could definitely have gone harder than SoS.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
''So?''

Devil May Cry was always designed to be replayed. I do agree that DH is too easy but having every single difficutly unlocked makes no sense.

Like it was said above. You don't have the tools for something like DMD if you start fresh. It makes sense for them to be unlocked as you go.

....or if anyone really wants SoS, or DMD on the first hand just beat Urizen in the prologue. There's options for everyone.
Yes, "so". As in when your reasoning for not giving more players more options up front is because some people would make dumb, easily counter-able criticisms on a gaming forum, then that's not good reasoning.

Like just put up a pop-up message saying "This difficulty is not meant to be played for a first playthrough. Are you sure?" when you select DMD or whatever. This is a simple design ordeal many other games have already solved.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely worrisome, but for what it's worth - this is not a total mitigation of the issue, only a very partial one - I'd say that the easiest difficulty on DMC5 is significantly easier than the easiest difficulty in DMC3/4 (they're all easy, but DMC5 easy is an utter fucking cakewalk).

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DMD can be brute forced quite easily as i did so despite not abusing cheesy strats for my first playthrough. Once you abuse Real Impact and SDT + a ton of Royal Guard its ez pz for Dante to S rank stuff. Neros missions become trivial with the Buster breakage as it will one shot many and melt bosses. V though... i have yet to find a cheesy af strat to blitz through things.